Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ego-bot posted:

The haka is the dumbest loving thing ever

Sad but true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

turn in your username, it's much too cool to be wasted on you.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ego-bot posted:

The haka is the dumbest loving thing ever

Unless you're part of the culture that it originated from, and not one of the sportsball teams that appropriated it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

For an angry cannibal war dance it really is silly looking. I do like it when it's used to honor someone or something though. Kind of like a more energetic "thoughts and prayers."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Otteration posted:

"This is the best thing I have ever seen in riots. I want to be there"

hello, new thread title

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Unless you're part of the culture that it originated from, and not one of the sportsball teams that appropriated it.

Agreed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Solice Kirsk posted:

For an angry cannibal war dance it really is silly looking. I do like it when it's used to honor someone or something though. Kind of like a more energetic "thoughts and prayers."

You really need to see it up close in person. A lot gets lost in a video.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/GuoBlue/status/1229182133572255744

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You really need to see it up close in person. A lot gets lost in a video.

This. It was performed at my school when I was about 12, and it was genuinely frightening. It also helps to keep in mind that Maoris are large people.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
If you don't think this is the coolest poo poo ever I don't know what to tell you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azheB2D0Wy4

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I deeply enjoy the confused looks of the players on the opposite teams in these videos :allears:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I_GxZwp5Fs

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

If you don't think this is the coolest poo poo ever I don't know what to tell you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azheB2D0Wy4

This is goofy as gently caress.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I’m sure when you’re about to fight to the death that might seem intimidating, but to the average person, dancing and singing is kinda corny.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

RCarr posted:

Yea I’m sure when you’re about to fight to the death that might seem intimidating, but to the average person, dancing and singing is kinda corny.

Hi. Average person here checking in to say the Haka is loving dope.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RCarr posted:

A proper haka is shouted at absolute full volume, which can be crazy loud if you've got a group of trained folks doing it, and if you're not hitting yourself drat near hard enough to bruise, you're not doing it right. All Blacks performances often use sideline mics and you can still hear the packing sound of body hits over the shouting. It's not really about intimidating the other folks with how shouty you are, so much as it is whipping your own group up into a collective, barely-controlled frenzy. In full performances you occasionally get performers going rogue and barking or doing the eyes-wide-tongue-out face (Pūkana) in the middle of things before resuming the chant as normal.

A good performance will be 100% unironic, which can come across as goofy if you're not in the right spot to experience it- which is right in front of it, ideally standing so that you can't easily put yourself into the mindset of this being a performance for your enjoyment. It's pretty effective in person, less effective sitting down and experiencing it through the protective distancing of a screen and speakers.

E: Turns out there's a name for the eyes-wide-tongue-out face, neat! Added.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Feb 18, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's also worth noting that the tongue out literally means "I am going to eat you"

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The All Blacks win a lot so the haka's working for them anyway

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Somfin posted:

A proper haka is shouted at absolute full volume, which can be crazy loud if you've got a group of trained folks doing it, and if you're not hitting yourself drat near hard enough to bruise, you're not doing it right. All Blacks performances often use sideline mics and you can still hear the packing sound of body hits over the shouting. It's not really about intimidating the other folks with how shouty you are, so much as it is whipping your own group up into a collective, barely-controlled frenzy. In full performances you occasionally get performers going rogue and barking or doing the eyes-wide-tongue-out face (Pūkana) in the middle of things before resuming the chant as normal.

A good performance will be 100% unironic, which can come across as goofy if you're not in the right spot to experience it- which is right in front of it, ideally standing so that you can't easily put yourself into the mindset of this being a performance for your enjoyment. It's pretty effective in person, less effective sitting down and experiencing it through the protective distancing of a screen and speakers.

E: Turns out there's a name for the eyes-wide-tongue-out face, neat! Added.

All the teams in front of them are just bored and sick of it and thinking about something else until the show is over. Just like the national anthem before a baseball game or Trump lapping on Daytona.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's also worth noting that the tongue out literally means "I am going to eat you"

Anytime you’re ready :quagmire:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Ape of Naples posted:

All the teams in front of them are just bored and sick of it and thinking about something else until the show is over. Just like the national anthem before a baseball game or Trump lapping on Daytona.

All the people in this thread are just bored and sick of your posting.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

All the people in this thread are just bored and sick of your posting.
Badass

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I am not a sports person but I think I would feel cooler doing a haka than doing that stand in a circle with a hand in the center yelling "GO TEAM" thing.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I had the pleasure of helping film a Haka for a soap and yeah its 100x more powerful in person when you've got three 6'6" muscled dudes doing it in your face. Also according to the Kiwi director it's much more diverse in application than just "we angry". I think one of the things we struggle with in white western culture is earnest expressions of emotion, particularly in Australia, so we balk a bit at a bunch of guys going all out on one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The haka is a traditional Maori cultural expression outside of warfare as well, so making fun of it ain't a good look. Or are you going to start cracking jokes about those silly red Indians and their rain dances?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I deeply enjoy the confused looks of the players on the opposite teams in these videos :allears:

That's exactly half the point, and wonderful to see.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Post a better "cannibal war dance" [loving ugh] then. Show us better "thoughts and prayers." [loving ugh again.]

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

The haka is a traditional Maori cultural expression outside of warfare as well, so making fun of it ain't a good look. Or are you going to start cracking jokes about those silly red Indians and their rain dances?

Neither is appropriating it for a Rugby match.
VVV OK?

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Feb 18, 2020

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

There are Maori players on the All Blacks so the assumption is that they allow the pakeha on the team to join them

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Since corny but bad rear end content is needed:

https://youtu.be/F3HyGJofXG4?t=121

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

VVV OK?

Actually, in the context that it's used there it is a challenge. I think it's a great way of tying maori culture into our national teams. But please, continue.

As was mentioned above it can have several different meanings - in the case of the funeral they are honoring the spirit of the fallen man.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

VVV OK?

That this is your reaction tells me that your cultural appropriation complaints are not in good faith.

Also, how many more times are you going to express your opinion on this matter? You don’t like the haka. We got it the fourth time. Christ.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

That this is your reaction tells me that your cultural appropriation complaints are not in good faith.

Also, how many more times are you going to express your opinion on this matter? You don’t like the haka. We got it the fourth time. Christ.

I didn’t know I had a limit to the times I reply or express an opinion. And you can decide that my complaints are not in “good faith” all you wish. I get the back door implication and I find that a bit snarky and I suspect it was already in your mind from the start but you believe what you wish and I will too. I’ve expressed my opinion. I’ll drop it and move on.

VVV Yeah, sure. You nailed it.

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Feb 18, 2020

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Ape were some dudes doing a haka while giving you swirlies or some poo poo?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Oops, forgot one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOZkO7YfCS4

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
APE keeping this derail alive like

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even if I didn’t like the haka, I wouldn’t say much about it because it means something to other people.

I don’t make a habit of disparaging ceremonies like weddings, baptisms, and funerals.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Stex T posted:

APE keeping this derail alive like

The guy he's lifting is probably 6 foot+ and 250 pounds, I like the smile on the guy behind him when he realizes who's going on, those are some strong shorts.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

yaffle posted:

The guy he's lifting is probably 6 foot+ and 250 pounds, I like the smile on the guy behind him when he realizes who's going on, those are some strong shorts.

Yeah, the elastic on those shorts is the MVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lady Disdain posted:

Yeah, the elastic on those shorts is the MVP.

My Victory Pants