Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Popoto posted:

the "gig economy" feels like a fuking pyramid scheme all the way down and i hate it

It 100% is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

"sustainable forestry" to capitalists means forestry that you can trade for carbon credits. No fucks given whether you're replacing diverse, native forest with a monoculture of pine crisscrossed with access roads that make it virtually inhabitable for anything

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Koishi Komeiji posted:

https://twitter.com/WorldBankSAsia/status/1227865071164022784
normal person: What a beautiful forest. :)
capitalist (violently masturbating): GOD loving DAMMIT WHY HAVEN'T WE RAPED THIS PLACE YET?!! :argh:

these people aren't human

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Shipon posted:

you may find the documentary "They Live" instructive my friend

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

never anthropomorphize a capitalist

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

bike tory posted:

"sustainable forestry" to capitalists means forestry that you can trade for carbon credits. No fucks given whether you're replacing diverse, native forest with a monoculture of pine crisscrossed with access roads that make it virtually inhabitable for anything

You just described the Irish forests managed by the states commercial forestry department. Decades ago someone decided that managing national forests should be a for profit venture. Now all the woods are a monoculture of non-native pine as it grows fast and is then processed into plywood.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Popoto posted:

Capitalism feels like a fuking pyramid scheme all the way down and i hate it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

wait so the target gig economy delivery app isnt even coordinated with the target store pick up app

Why would they be, one is made by an internal team at Target and the other is made by a different internal team at Target that is operated like a start-up (meaning everyone has a lovely open-floorplan desk).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bike tory posted:

If it's virtually inhabitable for anything that sounds pretty good :colbert:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That is clearly a typo

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Marenghi posted:

You just described the Irish forests managed by the states commercial forestry department. Decades ago someone decided that managing national forests should be a for profit venture. Now all the woods are a monoculture of non-native pine as it grows fast and is then processed into plywood.

it’s really a shame that humanity is going to take most of everything else with us in our suicide, because we are the only thing wrong

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/americanamemes/status/1228914270642946048

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

it’s really a shame that humanity is going to take most of everything else with us in our suicide, because we are the only thing wrong

hence the catgirl genetic fallback plan, a few seedvaults, a few GE embryos, automated manufacturing and reclamation systems and we'll get the world back to the way it should be: anime like

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

T-man posted:

hence the catgirl genetic fallback plan, a few seedvaults, a few GE embryos, automated manufacturing and reclamation systems and we'll get the world back to the way it should be: anime like

Finally a reason to be optimistic about the future.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

If it's virtually inhabitable for anything that sounds pretty good :colbert:

Is this one of those "flammable inflammable" things again? Get your act together, English language!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

T-man posted:

cat girls ?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
These aren't cat girls they are cat women damnit

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Farm Frenzy posted:

wait so the target gig economy delivery app isnt even coordinated with the target store pick up app

I hate all these delivery apps. Call me a Luddite but I still like going to Giant or Target to physically pick out stuff, especially food. I’m very particular about produce. I understand the connivence especially if you don’t have a car but for all these rich people in gated communities it feels like laziness

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

I hate all these delivery apps. Call me a Luddite but I still like going to Giant or Target to physically pick out stuff, especially food. I’m very particular about produce. I understand the connivence especially if you don’t have a car but for all these rich people in gated communities it feels like laziness

"feels like"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

These aren't cat girls they are cat women damnit

Oh I'm sorry but cat girl and cat boi are the appropriate term regardless of age, and furtherm:anime:re...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Bringing the magic lol.

Give extras to people who don't even loving tip and don't need free poo poo.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

The only real use case I know of is my friend who's got crushing anxiety problems and just can't fuckin' deal with being around lots of people most of the time, grocery delivery has helped her out a fuckin' ton. But yeah I don't think I'd trust picking out produce to someone who's not me and who is probably trying to do it as fast as possible.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

The only real use case I know of is my friend who's got crushing anxiety problems and just can't fuckin' deal with being around lots of people most of the time, grocery delivery has helped her out a fuckin' ton. But yeah I don't think I'd trust picking out produce to someone who's not me and who is probably trying to do it as fast as possible.

the solution to that isn't reorganizing the economy for these horrible delivery services that run on pure exploitation, it's getting people with anxiety issues the therapy and treatment they need

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Shipon posted:

the solution to that isn't reorganizing the economy for these horrible delivery services that run on pure exploitation, it's getting people with anxiety issues the therapy and treatment they need

These types of services have a place, particularly for people with mobility issues or people too sick to shop for themselves (think meals on wheels); unfortunately, it's the commercialization in the name of convenience
of these types of services that is the bad part.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shipon posted:

humanity has been destroying nature for its own ends for 1000s of years, if anything they are the most human

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

lol

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

I dont have an app on my phone for combining photos but imagine i put KobeHelicopterCrash.jpg on there and give me all the accades associated with such a post. Thanks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shipon posted:

I mean I agree with the first part but this person's problems are bad enough that she qualifies for disability and she has been getting treatment and therapy for years now so like "you don't need this thing that makes your life measurably better, you just need to treatment harder!!!" is kinda a lovely take. You didn't know that though so eh.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

I dont have an app on my phone for combining photos but imagine i put KobeHelicopterCrash.jpg on there and give me all the accades associated with such a post. Thanks

Here they are.

You are welcome.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It's definitely capitalism dot jpg but this one just seems cute

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The children can have a taste of capitalism, as a treat.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Better than Walmart I suppose

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

There are definitely good sides to those delivery services but under capitalism it seems like it'll just end up as a kind of high tech servant system where more and more people's jobs are just making the lives of the wealthy more comfortable and convenient.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Grevling posted:

There are definitely good sides to those delivery services but under capitalism it seems like it'll just end up as a kind of high tech servant system where more and more people's jobs are just making the lives of the wealthy more comfortable and convenient.

I thought these services were mainly in place to make middle income people feel like they're wealthy to prevent them from revolting against actually wealthy people.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Alucard posted:

I thought these services were mainly in place to make middle income people feel like they're wealthy to prevent them from revolting against actually wealthy people.

no they are in place to circumvent labor laws and worker protections

edit: shameless plug for my BFC thread about instacart

boar guy has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Feb 17, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

boar guy posted:

no they are in place to circumvent labor laws and worker protections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005