Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Everyone posted:

I think if I want to see an extra-legal team deal with weird poo poo, I'll just read Jonathan Maberry's "Joe Ledger" series.

I unironically love these books. It's starts as much more competently written Sigma Force style of "black ops deal with ancient and new scientific weirdness that borders on supernatural". And then Dragon Factory happens. And Joe just gets more and more broken and worn down losing touch with his humanity. And he knows it's happening and it scares the poo poo out of him but he keeps on keeping on with the job.

I also love his "Werewolf, PI" stories.

All his different series and short stories are in the same story universe. Even including the Limbus, Inc stuff. It will be interesting to see when he finally has his modern timeline stuff meet up with his near-future zombie apocalypse stuff.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Proteus Jones posted:

I unironically love these books. It's starts as much more competently written Sigma Force style of "black ops deal with ancient and new scientific weirdness that borders on supernatural". And then Dragon Factory happens. And Joe just gets more and more broken and worn down losing touch with his humanity. And he knows it's happening and it scares the poo poo out of him but he keeps on keeping on with the job.

I also love his "Werewolf, PI" stories.

All his different series and short stories are in the same story universe. Even including the Limbus, Inc stuff. It will be interesting to see when he finally has his modern timeline stuff meet up with his near-future zombie apocalypse stuff.

I've noticed that Maberry has been making references to Sigma Force and Seal Team 666 among others as existing in his world. I keep wondering if this is someone leading to some huge-rear end multi-author crossover thing.

One thing I have noticed with Still of Night is that some of the things that the Joe Ledger in those works refers to seem unlikely to occur. He refers to Sean and his family - and they all died at the the of Rage. He talks about having a child with Junie and she can't have children (obviously with the weirdness involved that's something that could be fixable). Finally, in the main series, Joe (and Church) are actively aware of and looking for Lucifer 113 in order to stop it, while in the Dead of Night/Rot and Ruin stories, Lucifer 113 came out of nowhere. I'm wondering if it'll turn out that the zombie stuff comes from some kind of parallel universe/timeline.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
it's page 325 of peace talks. The climax is here, and the evildoer's plot has come full circle right in the middle of crime-ridden chicago. our heroes have been laid low. the bad guy, let's just go with Sarissa here, is just moments away from laying her hands on <relic not explicitly rooted in abrahamic religions but implied to derive its power from y-hw-h's greatness>. harry is out of juice, he's exhausted after 72 hours straight of spellcasting and backtalking. his dog is also tired. thomas has been written out of the series. murphy is a gimp. Molly is compelled to stay out of the plot to avoid her solving the issue with her superpowers. which minor character will be promoted to the big leagues to save our hero:

A. andi

B. any other werewolf who i can't remember the name of (billy?)

C. A paranet side character

D. Elaine

S. (chaos option) charity

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Write in:

Some mother who "still has it" introduced in the book and promptly fridged in this sequence saving dresden and orphaning her attractive daughter.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That’s when Murphy gets killed duh

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Up Circle posted:

it's page 325 of peace talks. The climax is here, and the evildoer's plot has come full circle right in the middle of crime-ridden chicago. our heroes have been laid low. the bad guy, let's just go with Sarissa here, is just moments away from laying her hands on <relic not explicitly rooted in abrahamic religions but implied to derive its power from y-hw-h's greatness>. harry is out of juice, he's exhausted after 72 hours straight of spellcasting and backtalking. his dog is also tired. thomas has been written out of the series. murphy is a gimp. Molly is compelled to stay out of the plot to avoid her solving the issue with her superpowers. which minor character will be promoted to the big leagues to save our hero:

A. andi

D. Elaine

C. The one with the precognition and the purse-dog. Shows up and shoots the villain in the back of the head.

EDIT: An even bigger surprise for all involved because I'm pretty sure she got eaten by the depression-vampire.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Up Circle posted:

A. andi

D. Elaine

S. Shag-nasty (from Book 11) comes back, tears the villain apart, slowly for maximum agony, smiles at Harry and says "That is only one of the things that will happen to those you love in repayment for the humiliation you heaped upon me."

or

S. Eldest Gruff saves Harry and company because Harry owes him a donut.

PreacherTom
Oct 7, 2003

I want to prank them for hours in my basement...

Up Circle posted:

A. andi

D. Elaine

Polka will never die.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

bobjr posted:

That’s when Murphy gets killed duh

Peace Talks introduces a character in the vein of Goodman Grey, a Black Court vampire that surprises Harry by not being a ridiculous evil dude who also seems to have some beef with Mavra. Then Murphy dies in the book, and is resurrected as a monstrously strong vampire.

Or Kincaid gets iced and Murphy takes his mantle.

Anyways, it's going to be the Gatekeeper or Martha Liberty because we've not seen either of them throw down yet, or, comedy option, a bearer of blackened coin who has gone rogue.

Still gonna laugh and be salty about Butters getting the drat sword instead of Charity

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Anias posted:

Write in:

Some mother who "still has it" introduced in the book and promptly fridged in this sequence saving dresden and orphaning her attractive daughter.

I'm sorry this is already effectively labeled as S. (chaos option)

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

or, comedy option, a bearer of blackened coin who has gone rogue.

This almost made the list.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The Merlin, shortly after revealing the real reason he was a dick to Harry (but has always respected him) was because he cared too much and was ultimately a well intentioned extremist. This will be poignant and Harry will feel conflicted when Merlin heroically sacrifices himself.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Everyone posted:

S. Shag-nasty (from Book 11) comes back, tears the villain apart, slowly for maximum agony, smiles at Harry and says "That is only one of the things that will happen to those you love in repayment for the humiliation you heaped upon me."

or

S. Eldest Gruff saves Harry and company because Harry owes him a donut.

Eldest Gruff and Harry are even for that, Harry was owed a favor by the Summer Court and he used it to get a donut which Gruff fulfilled.

Would still be fun to see Eldest Gruff kick some rear end though.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Subvisual Haze posted:

The Merlin, shortly after revealing the real reason he was a dick to Harry (but has always respected him) was because he cared too much and was ultimately a well intentioned extremist. This will be poignant and Harry will feel conflicted when Merlin heroically sacrifices himself.

After the short story with Morgan, I wouldn't be surprised.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting my latest read from the library.

The Golden City by J. Kathleen Cheney is in theory a very unusual urban fantasy novel: there's not a werewolf or vampire to be seen, the wizard cops are secondary characters, and the whole thing is set in an alternate 1902 Portugal. Unfortunately, once you get past the surface novelty of the setting, The Golden City is a by-the-numbers urban fantasy story filled with stock urban fantasy characters. Cheney suffers from all the usual problems of the genre: regularly breaking the flow of the story to infodump about her setting, supernaturally sexy paranormal races with highly problematic gender and sexual politics (but not to worry, our heroine is not only chaste but implied to be a virgin, not like all the other sirens!), and a depiction of LGBT characters and same-sex attraction that could charitably be described as unfortunate. Not the worst example of the genre I've ever read, and this is apparently Cheney's first full-length novel, so hopefully she'll get better, but unless the alternate 1902 Portugal setting and its love of nobility/commoners intrigue mixed with the urban fantasy elements really intrigues you, I'd give it a pass.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

seaborgium posted:

Eldest Gruff and Harry are even for that, Harry was owed a favor by the Summer Court and he used it to get a donut which Gruff fulfilled.

Would still be fun to see Eldest Gruff kick some rear end though.

Harry's in trouble, Eldest Gruff shows up and kicks rear end, then asks for payment in the form of... a donut.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I'm looking for recs if anyone has them? No worries if not but I'm in a rut if reading books I've already read and it's a waste

October Daye & the incryptid series
Poison City/clockwork city
The Verus series
Lydford series
Felix Castor
Some Harmony Black
Early Jane Yellowrock (got samey)
Early The Hollows (ditto)
Some Laundry Series books (too maths/computer focused I skipped so much euclidean this and loving computer nonsense that )
Some Mercy Thompson /Alpha Omega stuff

I have a short attention span and I bail real quick when stuff gets samey or when an authors *ticks* start to get hard to ignore.

Meh:
Faust series
Dresden series
Sandman Slim (book one LOL male power fantasy,)
Fallen London (book one good but odd, book two poo poo the bed, gently caress book three)

No ta
Neil Gaiman anything
Sexy heroines sexing the sexy bad guy (lk Hamilton, Riley the werewolf sex rape nonsense)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Try Jill Kismet by Lilith Saintcrow. The first one is great.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm maybe a third of the way through the first Felix Castor book and I'm enjoying it a lot. How are the rest of the novels? I'm kind of unsurprised it's hitting the right notes for me given that I liked his run on Hellblazer too, and this feels pretty similar.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm maybe a third of the way through the first Felix Castor book and I'm enjoying it a lot. How are the rest of the novels? I'm kind of unsurprised it's hitting the right notes for me given that I liked his run on Hellblazer too, and this feels pretty similar.

They're pretty good, if a little bleak. I haven't read Hellblazer outside of my exposure to it in BSS though, so I'm not sure how that compares.

I mean, I kind of stopped giving a drat about Asmodeus halfway through the series and the solution to dealing with him seems bullshit given everything else that happens in the series but all the other side-plots and things work out nicely.

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I think that they are great. He doesn't fall into the trap of power creep and the whole succubus thing doesn't go where I dreaded it would. A rumoured final book has not materialized, though the ones that exist wrap up the surface level narrative.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I can't remember the degree of bleakness in Carey's run on Hellblazer in particular, but in general the comic finds and invents new levels of bleakness, it's definitely a trope of the whole run of the comic that terrible things happen to just about everyone at some point.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

MockingQuantum posted:

I can't remember the degree of bleakness in Carey's run on Hellblazer in particular, but in general the comic finds and invents new levels of bleakness, it's definitely a trope of the whole run of the comic that terrible things happen to just about everyone at some point.

All I'll say is this: When you get to the book where you find out just how hosed up Felix's brother Matt is, it's a serious "Oh, holy poo poo" moment.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

gerg_861 posted:

I think that they are great. He doesn't fall into the trap of power creep and the whole succubus thing doesn't go where I dreaded it would. A rumoured final book has not materialized, though the ones that exist wrap up the surface level narrative.

Oh that's good to know too, I saw that there were only five books with the last one out in 2009 and was worried the series was unfinished or whatever, since I'm pretty sure it violates the laws of physics to have a UF series that's fewer than a dozen books long.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

Try Jill Kismet by Lilith Saintcrow. The first one is great.

Thanks, will do!

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

gerg_861 posted:

Agree with all this. I really liked the Castor books, shame there aren't any more but also no drop in quality like other long running series. They are BLEAK but not to the point you (well, I) want to stop reading. Its finely balanced. I've tried other necromancery books and nothing has quite been on it's level. Half made girls by Sam Witt was waaaay too over into southern gothic horror. Stephen Blackmore were just a bit poo poo really

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Sloth Life posted:

I'm looking for recs if anyone has them? No worries if not but I'm in a rut if reading books I've already read and it's a waste

I don't see The Rook in your list. Most of the thread loved it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sloth Life posted:

Agree with all this. I really liked the Castor books, shame there aren't any more but also no drop in quality like other long running series. They are BLEAK but not to the point you (well, I) want to stop reading. Its finely balanced. I've tried other necromancery books and nothing has quite been on it's level. Half made girls by Sam Witt was waaaay too over into southern gothic horror. Stephen Blackmore were just a bit poo poo really

Have you read this yet?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PLSVH61

I wouldn't say it was "great" or whatever, but it's definitely an urban fantasy book series about a necromancer.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 18, 2020

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

Xtanstic posted:

I don't see The Rook in your list. Most of the thread loved it.

Thanks will look into it, thank you too biracial bear for uncut I will try that one too

Sorry I can't multiquote

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sloth Life posted:

The Verus series
Lydford series
Felix Castor
Some Harmony Black
Some Laundry Series books (too maths/computer focused I skipped so much euclidean this and loving computer nonsense that )

I have a short attention span and I bail real quick when stuff gets samey or when an authors *ticks* start to get hard to ignore.

Meh:
Faust series
Dresden series
Fallen London (book one good but odd, book two poo poo the bed, gently caress book three)

No ta
Neil Gaiman anything
Sexy heroines sexing the sexy bad guy (lk Hamilton, Riley the werewolf sex rape nonsense)

Midnight Mayor. Three books in the main series, two spinoffs.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Just finished reading False Value, which if you're not on a stop on the signing tour is out in a week, it's pretty good?
If you hate the idea of Peter becoming a father you're going to loathe it though as Beverly and the bump are mentioned regularly, and there are several digressions about becoming a family and foster care (not Peter and Beverley)
One thing that's not mentioned in the book but may make a couple of coincidences in the book make sense, New Malden is basically London's Koreatown and - 30+ years ago when I was at primary school at least - had the single biggest concentrated population of Koreans outside Seoul (there are far more Korean-Americans than Korean-British, but they're more spread out)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I return to the UK next week to pick up my Waterstones version with the short story. I should catch the very last stop on the tour too.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Sloth Life posted:

The Verus series
Lydford series
Felix Castor
Some Harmony Black

Meh:
Faust series
Dresden series

No ta
Neil Gaiman anything

I don't know if these are exactly "urban fantasy" but they're at least in an adjacent neighborhood. Try a few of Clive Barker's works, especially The Great and Secret Show and Everville. Also Weaveworld.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

MockingQuantum posted:

Castor's very good, it leans into the Raymond Chandler tone throughout. There's nothing groundbreaking in the plot or setting, but it doesn't need it when the prose is that good. It also does the 'the real monsters are humans' thematic elements well, some of the characters towards the mid/late parts of the series are real pieces of work.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Everyone posted:

I don't know if these are exactly "urban fantasy" but they're at least in an adjacent neighborhood. Try a few of Clive Barker's works, especially The Great and Secret Show and Everville. Also Weaveworld.

Funny. I just finished Everville last week, on the heels of The Great and Secret Show (and read Weaveworld last year, to boot). I second this.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried the Joe Pitt series? Vampire gangsters, action-focused, really fun.
Also, The Kraken by Miéville.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 19, 2020

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I return to the UK next week to pick up my Waterstones version with the short story. I should catch the very last stop on the tour too.

The short story is the first one to have nothing to do with the book's plot or regular characters (unless I missed something) it really made me wonder if it's a future set-up or if I missed something.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I ignored this thread for years because I thought it was just the Jim Butcher/Harry Dresden thread and I punted on Dresden Files hard on account of everyone involved being a complete toolbox.

If I greatly enjoyed Libriomancer and The Invisible Library, and loved the concept of Harmony Black and Indexing but thought the execution was merely ok (and had a blast with Stiletto), what should I be looking at next?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Verus news:

Jacka posted:

First-round edits on Alex Verus #11, Forged, are done! The first-round edits are the ones where all the significant changes to the book get made. In this case there weren’t any really significant changes, meaning that I was able to finish and send the manuscript off to my publishers in good time. There’ll still be copy-edits and stuff to do, but for the most part, Forged is now in the can, which means I can focus on the final book in the series, Alex Verus #12.

Current goal that I’m aiming for is to plan out the first section of #12 over the next few weeks and start writing it by next month, with an eye to having it finished by the end of the year so that we can do publication in 2021. I’ll keep you updated in my regular Friday posts as and when I have news.

Book's coming. :getin:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ToxicFrog posted:

I ignored this thread for years because I thought it was just the Jim Butcher/Harry Dresden thread and I punted on Dresden Files hard on account of everyone involved being a complete toolbox.

If I greatly enjoyed Libriomancer and The Invisible Library, and loved the concept of Harmony Black and Indexing but thought the execution was merely ok (and had a blast with Stiletto), what should I be looking at next?

The Daniel Faust, Revanche Cycle and Wisdom's Grave series.

Same author as Harmony Black and much better stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Verus news:

Book's coming. :getin:

my copy of False Value has shipped from Waterstone's.