Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
drat what a terrible way to go. Coincidentally the guy was local to me in NJ. I wonder if any of my friends from his town know him.

EDIT: apparently this is the same lift where the guy fell through and got depantsed and hung upside down with his rear end out back in 09.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Magic isn’t too bad in terms of lines today, definitely more than normal but not even close to vail meme levels.

Got in some solid runs on upper Magician and Twilight Zone before they got too scraped off.

I’m gonna miss this place next year :(

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

spwrozek posted:

Nose butter 360 fail. Needed steeper terrain.

https://youtu.be/33dcjaVP02A

:drat: Those conditions are a dream

Keep your head looking over your shoulder for the whole spin and you’re golden

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Someone just came into the shop with this bear attack lookin-rear end of a gash:

The guy walked out with a K2 Manifest so he’s more than set. I want opinions though: should this be my beat-the-poo poo-out-of board or would it be too sketchy?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Fill that poo poo up with ptex and it's not going to kill you or anything. I'd try it once probably, see if the feel of the board isn't totally hosed. Maybe try flexing it by hand.

That's loving impressive though

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Gorgeous day at Deer Valley, just pouring down nice light powder.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

ante posted:

Fill that poo poo up with ptex and it's not going to kill you or anything. I'd try it once probably, see if the feel of the board isn't totally hosed. Maybe try flexing it by hand.

That's loving impressive though

Right? I’ve only seen a few gashes that deep before, but it held together when I flexed it a few times which has me feeling optimistic. Even if this poo poo snaps on the first run it’ll make for a fun little project. The plan is to clean up the wood a bit, apply a super thin layer of epoxy, and then fill the rest with ptex. I feel like there might be a little extra I could do to fortify the surrounding surface area, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

I leave for Oregon early Tuesday morning, so this is gonna be on hold until early March. I’ll post an update if/when I get around to it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Classic Mountain Creek holiday weekend: fight in the lodge, marriage proposal on the slopes and as much weed as the entire state of Colorado. Of course, it starts snowing as soon as I pack up the car to leave. At least the crowds were light this year.

Also, I have an issue. Our ski team end of season celebration trip is going to Mad River Glen and I am, of course, only a snowboarder. So I have to rent some skis and learn how to ski at MRG. How do I make the transition to skiing? And what can I chuck myself down at MRG if I don't care that much about safety so long as I don't actually die or break anything.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 17, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You don't.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Courtesy of my manager hooking me up with the middle and right board:

I think I’m set for Oregon

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Yuns posted:

Classic Mountain Creek holiday weekend: fight in the lodge, marriage proposal on the slopes and as much weed as the entire state of Colorado. Of course, it starts snowing as soon as I pack up the car to leave. At least the crowds were light this year.

Also, I have an issue. Our ski team end of season celebration trip is going to Mad River Glen and I am, of course, only a snowboarder. So I have to rent some skis and learn how to ski at MRG. How do I make the transition to skiing? And what can I chuck myself down at MRG if I don't care that much about safety so long as I don't actually die or break anything.

I’m very curious to hear about your experience snowboarding there.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I’m very curious to hear about your experience snowboarding there.
Mountain Creek NJ or MRG VT?

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yuns posted:

Mountain Creek NJ or MRG VT?

Mad River Glenn

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Macnult posted:

:drat: Those conditions are a dream

Keep your head looking over your shoulder for the whole spin and you’re golden

Yeah, the snow was pretty deep and the terrain pretty flat right there. Usually it isn't a problem but I like fails the much as the next guy!

Macnult posted:

Courtesy of my manager hooking me up with the middle and right board:

I think I’m set for Oregon

Once you have a split then you are set.

I didn't take any video today but I had a sweet double drop, 10', then 5' line.

View at the top:

And the snow ponies all getting ready. Hilariously enough the road is a Provincial Highway (it is dirt).

Also used a chainsaw to help cut through avalanche debris build a road for the sleds. That was neat. Lots of shoveling though as well.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

spwrozek posted:

Yeah, the snow was pretty deep and the terrain pretty flat right there. Usually it isn't a problem but I like fails the much as the next guy!

Once you have a split then you are set.

I didn't take any video today but I had a sweet double drop, 10', then 5' line.

View at the top:

And the snow ponies all getting ready. Hilariously enough the road is a Provincial Highway (it is dirt).

Also used a chainsaw to help cut through avalanche debris build a road for the sleds. That was neat. Lots of shoveling though as well.

I’ll have to grab a split board when I’m settled out west — I might have to hit you up for some backcountry tours as well from these photos you keep providing.

Also, apologies for going full jerry right now but I have a question regarding angles for the K2 Cool Bean. I ride 18°/-15° for pretty much everything, but my manager was telling me I wanna shift my back foot to like -3° because of how it rides. I get that it’s a purely directional board, but is it really that much of a difference? When I’m sending it down a run I tuck my knee in a bit like I’m downhill longboarding already, so I don’t see anything changing other than having to adapt to a different angle.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Blue skies smiling down at Snow Summit...enjoy your day everybody!

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Macnult posted:

I’ll have to grab a split board when I’m settled out west — I might have to hit you up for some backcountry tours as well from these photos you keep providing.

Also, apologies for going full jerry right now but I have a question regarding angles for the K2 Cool Bean. I ride 18°/-15° for pretty much everything, but my manager was telling me I wanna shift my back foot to like -3° because of how it rides. I get that it’s a purely directional board, but is it really that much of a difference? When I’m sending it down a run I tuck my knee in a bit like I’m downhill longboarding already, so I don’t see anything changing other than having to adapt to a different angle.

No. Usually you're comfortable with one angle, and it's more or less how you should always ride.

The one counterpoint is if you have a really directional stance and want to ride more switch, but that doesn't apply to you. If you like your duck feet, and are comfortable ripping it going forward, then continue on

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Macnult posted:

You should try it out but I don't buy it. I've had the K2 Carveair as well as a whole host of boards from stiff directional race boards like the Pantera SC and NS East to park decks like the Burton Custom Twin and NS Proto HD to pow decks like my Gentemstick XY and I ride goofy 21/-12 to -15 for everything. I've tried differing angles and even double posi on my directional freeride decks but in the end my angles are the one most comfortable to me whether on groomers, in the trees, in pow or in the park.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

FWIW I was told the same thing about my sick stick and tried it and all it did was make my back knee sore. Duck feet 4eva.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Thank you all for the input. I figured I’d be fine but it’s nice to get some confirmation.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

FWIW I was told the same thing about my sick stick and tried it and all it did was make my back knee sore. Duck feet 4eva.

This is exactly what I was worried about. 18°/-15° feels perfect for me. Anything more inward and I’m feeling pain in the knees and gassing myself when initiating turns.

I’m beyond stoked to try out those two boards. Never been too much of a gear head but it’s dope to have options. I’m sure my Custom Camber would hold up fine, but I’ve been dreaming about experiencing that west coast surf-like feel since I was a little kid. My plan is Party Platter day one, Cool Bean day two, and then day three I dunno but still sending it.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Yuns posted:

Cannot give any advice about how to transition, but can at least talk about MRG. MRG's beginner area is serviced by a mid mountain lift, which to get to you ride the double in the middle/back of the base area (the double on looker's right is their race type area) and then take greens down to. They usually groom everything off that lift, and then some number of mid/lower mountain blues. They may or may not groom the one blue off the single chair.

It is also always an option to split board up though before operating hours and then board down once the chair is spinning to get some hoots and hollers.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Macnult posted:

I’m beyond stoked to try out those two boards. Never been too much of a gear head but it’s dope to have options. I’m sure my Custom Camber would hold up fine, but I’ve been dreaming about experiencing that west coast surf-like feel since I was a little kid. My plan is Party Platter day one, Cool Bean day two, and then day three I dunno but still sending it.

I rode a PP for a day a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. It felt like a board that would be fun in pretty much any conditions, but especially so in powder and trees.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Yuns posted:

Just go to Sugarbush instead and enjoy snowboarding, visit Splinters boardshop, get food/beer at The Mad Taco in Waitsfield, and get more beer at Lawson's.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

ihop posted:

I rode a PP for a day a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. It felt like a board that would be fun in pretty much any conditions, but especially so in powder and trees.

That’s all I needed to hear. Less than 48 hours to go

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Varg posted:

Just go to Sugarbush instead and enjoy snowboarding, visit Splinters boardshop, get food/beer at The Mad Taco in Waitsfield, and get more beer at Lawson's.
We're splitting our time between Sugarbush and MRG so I'm definitely hitting Sugarbush.

Master_Odin posted:

Cannot give any advice about how to transition, but can at least talk about MRG. MRG's beginner area is serviced by a mid mountain lift, which to get to you ride the double in the middle/back of the base area (the double on looker's right is their race type area) and then take greens down to. They usually groom everything off that lift, and then some number of mid/lower mountain blues. They may or may not groom the one blue off the single chair.

It is also always an option to split board up though before operating hours and then board down once the chair is spinning to get some hoots and hollers.
Thanks for the info about MRG. My kids think the idea of me learning to ski is hilarious so I may actually do MRG.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 17, 2020

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The best binging angle is indeed the one that is the most comfortable however you should also be trying to ensure your knee bends over the top of your foot for stability.

My knees bend inwards when I do squats with my feet parallel so I duck my bindings out to let me bend into my knees further. Moving my back binding out a further 3 degrees was helpful in allowing me to get more over my back leg for riding in deeper snow.

I still suck at riding in deeper snow but im going to blame my board for that and just buy a nice rear end fish style board the next time I go Japan/Canada.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Today was one of the deepest days I have ever had in my life. So good that we pushed 3 laps in (5700' of vert). Almost can't explain it.

https://youtu.be/o1lqKZ-bCTI

https://youtu.be/kXzx52iyBVQ

https://youtu.be/ONJSI59GTdg

Also here is a big tree.

Bonus sledding action!

https://youtu.be/UCEaJ272WSY

https://youtu.be/zM9Ar5MuGS4

https://youtu.be/po_sHQricac

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

awesome stuff

That was pretty sweet my dude!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

That looks amazing spwrozek! But were you worried at all about avalanche risk? So much of Colorado looks like it is under considerable or moderate avy risk. Were those pits you are digging in those pics?

Yuns fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 18, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

This is all footage from areas around Kaslo BC. The snow pack is way different here. I wouldn't ride anything like what we do up here in Colorado. We basically only ride under 30 degrees in CO and basically only 30-40 degrees in BC. The avalanche concerns are just so different here. Basically it has been wind slabs (which don't really happen in the trees) and storm slabs (as long as you can manage slough not a big deal). In Colorado it is basically deep persistent week layers. Backcountry skiing in Colorado is almost stupid outside of meadow skipping and after May 1st (isothermal snow pack and stable conditions).

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Thanks for the insight. For some reason I thought you were in Colorado back country. Didn't realize you were travelling in BC.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Cool pics are cool, thanks for posting!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

The Vail chairlift death has hit WaPo's national coverage
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/02/18/vail-skiier-dies-chairlift-accident/

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I still can't quite figure out how this happened. Probably because I can't picture a "folding chair lift" that was left in the "upright position". Are those something we don't have in California?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Tacier posted:

I still can't quite figure out how this happened. Probably because I can't picture a "folding chair lift" that was left in the "upright position". Are those something we don't have in California?
Happened at loading. Seats fold up to keep from accumulating snow. After a depantsing accident at the same lift due to a flipped up seat, the seats are currently supposed to latch in the down position.

Image of the depantsing:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1106988/Southern-exposure-Man-left-dangling-trouserless-upside-Vail-ski-lift-mishap.html

The person in question didn't notice the seat was up and fell into the gap and got hung up by his jacket as the chair left the loading area so that his jacket was caught on the chair wrapped around his head and neck with his body hanging. They stopped the lift and got him down but depending on the account, it took 4 to 7 minutes to get him down.

Here is an account of the incident from r/vail
https://www.reddit.com/r/vail/comments/f3j9dz/anyone_know_what_happened_at_the_resort_today/

Here is the maggots discussion on TGR
https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/333575-Holy-poo poo-skier-death-on-Vail-chairlift

Imagine being the pantless guy only instead of your pants it's your jacket wrapped around your neck.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Yuns posted:

Seats fold up to keep from accumulating snow. After a depantsing accident at the same lift due to a flipped up seat, the seats are currently supposed to latch in the down position.

I didn't realize this and have never seen one folded up. Makes sense now.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why are people not looking at the chair before they sit down? I basically visually inspect my chair while the people in front of me are loading and then I look over my shoulder while I'm sitting down.

Am I the strange one?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Tacier posted:

I didn't realize this and have never seen one folded up. Makes sense now.
I've never seen folding seats either so it surprised me too but makes sense if you think about how toilet lids or movie seats fold.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

TMMadman posted:

Why are people not looking at the chair before they sit down? I basically visually inspect my chair while the people in front of me are loading and then I look over my shoulder while I'm sitting down.

Am I the strange one?

I’d guess I have about three seconds to visually inspect the chair before it scoops me up, and there’s no way I’d be able to evaluate the problem and get out of the way in that amount of time. It sounds like a lot of the liability is with the resort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

drat, 2 guys have died in the past few days at Meadows in Heather Canyon. No real details on any causes, one says "died in a fall" and the other wasn't found until he was reported missing.