Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
The problem is people don't actually understand the local political relationships they just think LOL ELECTION = LEGITIMATACY AND HEREDITARY RULE IS LIKE THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND and it's so wrong for so many reasons. The internal politics of a first Nation can be really complicated and varies between bands. It's true that within some bands the elected chiefs aren't seen as legitimate as the traditional ones and it's also true that hereditary leaders within first Nations really aren't like a monarchy and it can be much more collaborative and adhoc than the laws suggest. But that wont stop colonialist twitter idiots from comparing the situation to an elected western democracy vs the queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Hey gang, I'm trying to discuss some of the issues with the CBC with a relative and was hoping someone might have some readily available links or examples I can go over and use. They are of the mind that it is generally a neutral, fair and balanced news source. I would like to dig into this myself but unfortunately don't have the time right now.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Corte posted:

Hey gang, I'm trying to discuss some of the issues with the CBC with a relative and was hoping someone might have some readily available links or examples I can go over and use. They are of the mind that it is generally a neutral, fair and balanced news source. I would like to dig into this myself but unfortunately don't have the time right now.

Show them this article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/brazil-canada-trade-bolsonaro-politics-foreign-policy-1.4878379

where the CBC cheers about how Canadian mining companies, some of the worst corporations in the entire world, will get freer access to rapaciously destroying the Amazon Rainforest under Bolsonaro. This was posted the day after his election, when everyone with a conscience was grieving the election of an actual fascist to lead one of the world's largest and most fragile democracies, and the CBC's major opinion response was "great news, destroying the Amazon and abandoning any efforts to respect indigenous rights means we can strip-mine developing countries way easier!"

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Niki Ashton is not a leader that can accomplish anything in Canada, she's a rich white lady academic with no firsthand experience in anything that a leftist cause would want to address. She tried to pretend like Trudeau was a violent criminal for bumping into her and made an absolute fool of herself.

Leah Gazan seems to be Extremely Good from what I've seen of her, if we're looking for somebody to be the Canadian Bernie/AOC. She's even Jewish!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/WordsandGuitar/status/1229125340032905216

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Walking Eagle News, which you should all follow if you don't already, has been on loving fire since the RCMP raids and rail blockades started.

https://twitter.com/TheEagleist/status/1229199169845366790

https://twitter.com/TheEagleist/status/1228721402829844481

https://twitter.com/TheEagleist/status/1228394081728057349

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

There is absolutely zero chance that anyone would give a poo poo about first nations people, Wetʼsuwetʼen or otherwise, if they were being hosed over for the sake of a project that wasn't a fundamentally worthless waste of money that's also helping to destroy the planet as quickly as possible. The Wetʼsuwetʼen are being used as a tool by people who don't want the pipeline but can't use an environmental or monetary argument because those things are impossible to explain to the average stupid loving Canadian. Environmentalism is completely dead in this country so they have to try to pretend like they care about the legal issues of aboriginal sovereignty.

They don't, but I suppose the Wetʼsuwetʼen are benefiting from it too so I guess everyone wins (until the RCMP decide to just kill them).

Anyways there is zero chance for positive change in this country unless America takes the lead. If anyone wants to make things better here but they don't have the balls to actually do anything actually worthwhile in this country, you can volunteer for Bernie Sander's campaign even as a Canadian, you just can't donate money to it.

Actually I'm a single-issue anti-governmenter and I don't even care about the environment! Go away RCMP

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Stupid question - I understand moving Via trains is a non-starter, but why hasn't freight been rerouted across the Canadian Pacific routes to reach Quebec and the Maritimes of were so worried about supply shortages? IIRC those lines aren't blocked. I dont know if CNs milking what's going on, or if the shortages are exaggerated.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Stupid question - I understand moving Via trains is a non-starter, but why hasn't freight been rerouted across the Canadian Pacific routes to reach Quebec and the Maritimes of were so worried about supply shortages? IIRC those lines aren't blocked. I dont know if CNs milking what's going on, or if the shortages are exaggerated.

It's not a stupid question. It's a rhetorical one.

Cruelty is the point

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Think both CP and CN won't restore service until order is restored. They can't control when and where blockades popup, so they're not comfortable running anything anywhere.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

That's what I figured. In a way, I get CN not paying CP to move their freight, but on the other hand it's a short-sighted way of going about it.

Of course, so was the line rationalization of the 1990s that took away the alternate home-rail routes in the first place but....

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Jehde posted:

Think both CP and CN won't restore service until order is restored. They can't control when and where blockades popup, so they're not comfortable running anything anywhere.

I didnt think any of the blockades were on CP, though.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

They were for like a day in Coquitlam.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

Leofish posted:

Walking Eagle News, which you should all follow if you don't already, has been on loving fire since the RCMP raids and rail blockades started.

This is maximum truth. I endorse Walking Eagle News as if my opinion counts for anything at all.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I didnt think any of the blockades were on CP, though.

This is being asked out of complete ignorance: are the CN lines being specifically targeted for some reason, is it a coincidence that the blockades are mostly on CN?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Show them this article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/brazil-canada-trade-bolsonaro-politics-foreign-policy-1.4878379

where the CBC cheers about how Canadian mining companies, some of the worst corporations in the entire world, will get freer access to rapaciously destroying the Amazon Rainforest under Bolsonaro. This was posted the day after his election, when everyone with a conscience was grieving the election of an actual fascist to lead one of the world's largest and most fragile democracies, and the CBC's major opinion response was "great news, destroying the Amazon and abandoning any efforts to respect indigenous rights means we can strip-mine developing countries way easier!"

Thanks for this! I do recall this and agree it's a terrible look for the CBC if this was their sole coverage of Bolsonaro's victory but I'm not sure it'll suffice. They'll point to the article's acknoledgement of his "homophobic, racist and misogynist statements and his support for Brazil's military dictatorship that ruled from 1964 to 1985" and suggest it's a simple opinion piece on the potential business impact of the election. I'm hoping to find something that shows their partisanship politics within Canada if possible. Something I just recalled that I'll bring up is the loving god awful coverage they did on election night where the host had a clear Liberal bias and did everything she could to poo poo on Jagmeet or dismiss the NDP entirely.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
As somebody in recovery I'm starting to realize why I drink so much. Reading about anything related to the pipeline protests confirms that Canada is an illegitimate and terrible country and that almost everyone who lives here sucks. At least the right wing is calling it an act of rebellion. That's exactly what we need, just not the way they think.

Anyway, don't do anything nice for strangers here, they're probably an rear end in a top hat. I'm reserving my philantrophy for after I confirm you've never voted conservative or eaten at Chick-fil-A.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Get a load of this idiot realizing 153 years late that a settler community is deeply racist

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

xtal posted:

As somebody in recovery I'm starting to realize why I drink so much. Reading about anything related to the pipeline protests confirms that Canada is an illegitimate and terrible country and that almost everyone who lives here sucks. At least the right wing is calling it an act of rebellion. That's exactly what we need, just not the way they think.

Anyway, don't do anything nice for strangers here, they're probably an rear end in a top hat. I'm reserving my philantrophy for after I confirm you've never voted conservative or eaten at Chick-fil-A.

It's easy to find reasons to drink when you're an alcoholic. I hope you stay strong, keep sober and take care of yourself.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Allow me to write down "Canadian politics" on my trigger sheet. I'm going to do some volunteering this week to feel better about the world.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Following politics is a curse for your mental health because everything is garbage, but also if I stop following it I feel like I'm being willfully ignorant and putting my head in the sand to feel better.

Ultimately I just try to take things day by day and live in the scope of individual circumstances that I can effect, but that I'd be lying if that didn't also feel like willful ignorance sometimes.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

happy louis riel day

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Luckily, someone has put much more effort into posting than me this morning: https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/02/13/opinion/powerful-example-wetsuweten-resistance

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

CRISPYBABY posted:

Following politics is a curse for your mental health because everything is garbage, but also if I stop following it I feel like I'm being willfully ignorant and putting my head in the sand to feel better.

Ultimately I just try to take things day by day and live in the scope of individual circumstances that I can effect, but that I'd be lying if that didn't also feel like willful ignorance sometimes.

I find this to be the case for me too, it can become paralyzing and that doesn't help anybody. I reckon like most things moderation and balance are key but I'm still trying to figure out what that looks like. I think xtal is on the right track, when I'm feeling particularly low or find myself despairing about the state of the world I've found textbanking for Bernie to help.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
You're all bleak fuckers but happy Family Day from BC

edit:

just another fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 17, 2020

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Every morning I wake up and laugh again that lovely comedian Guy Nantel is a serious contender for the head of the PQ.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What do you guys make of pieces like this?

U.S. foundations funding Canadian anti-pipeline protests: fair or foul?

quote:

The debate about the impact of American money on the Canadian anti-pipeline movement continues fiercely with a pair of energy industry influencers taking calls from across Alberta on the subject.

Alberta at Noon host Judy Aldous spoke to researcher and blogger Vivian Krause, as well as award-winning Calgary author Chris Turner, Monday about the degree to which U.S. dollars are shaping the conversation we're now having in Canada about building pipelines.

Krause has estimated that various U.S. funders have contributed in the neighbourhood of $40-million in recent years to hundreds of Canadian environmental and Indigenous groups. The goal is to help them spread a message about the need to land-lock Alberta crude through protests against the construction of new pipelines.

Krause believes those American dollars are financing a message that has turned the conversation around, adding topics like pipeline development have become toxic.

"The campaign has been devastating," Krause said.

"I think the campaign is the reason why Northern Gateway was cancelled: Energy East, Keystone, Trans Mountain.

"And this is the same organization, same strategy, same funders that stopped the Mackenzie [Valley] gas pipeline. I think the coastal gas pipeline is also in serious trouble.

"I have no hope for any pipeline [being approved for development] until this campaign is brought to an end," she said.

'Not helpful to the conversation'
Turner, meanwhile, said that foundations such as the Rockefeller Brothers Fund, the Hewlett Foundation, and the U.S. environmental group the Tides Foundation have far less of ability to manipulate the environmental agenda in Canada than Krause suggests.

He didn't disagree with the numbers but disputed Krause's interpretation of them.

"The kind of research that she does is dangerous and not helpful to the conversation," Turner said.

"She strips away the context massively, overstates the effectiveness, the power the scale of that money — and what it's able to to accomplish."

Turner, who wrote The Patch: The People, Pipelines and Politics of the Oil Sands, argued that not all of that money is aimed at protesting oilsands-related developments.

"Some of it is going to things like Ducks Unlimited [Canada]," he said, adding that the wetland conservation group "actually is the largest recipient of foreign money of any Canadian environmental charity and you never hear that."

I see poo poo like this floating around on social media from friends who are borderline shilling for oil companies in the pipeline debates, or otherwise "just asking questions" but I don't know enough to comment on it. Seems like some "George Soros pays you to protest" bullshit but I don't know.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That's exactly what it is, unfortunately. It's just an attempt to discredit the protests. One thing I notice is that none of these people are pro-pipeline, because who would be? They're just anti-anti-pipeline and purely spiteful. The thing you posted has a lot of criticism about the protests but it doesn't say anything about why there are protests or, more importantly, why there should be pipelines to begin with.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

What do you guys make of pieces like this?

U.S. foundations funding Canadian anti-pipeline protests: fair or foul?

I see poo poo like this floating around on social media from friends who are borderline shilling for oil companies in the pipeline debates, or otherwise "just asking questions" but I don't know enough to comment on it. Seems like some "George Soros pays you to protest" bullshit but I don't know.

Even if it's true, so what? That's a drop in the bucket compared to the millions US fossil fuel interests spend convincing us to build their pipelines, and it's a drop in the bucket compared to the billions the Canadian government spends subsidizing oil and gas. It's not like the oil sands are some virtuous autarkic paragon of Canadian nationalized industry where all the money comes from Canadians and is spent by Canadians in Canada, most of our fossil fuel development is done by US companies to benefit US investors, backed by decades of US propaganda about how fossil fuels are the only possible fuel for civilization. It's only fair that Canadian environmentalists get to tap into the meagre US resources available to support environmental causes given that the fossil fuel companies get to tap into the enormous US resources available to fight against them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also even if it is true: good? Environmentalism is an international issue. Nationalism is a brain disease. Climate change doesn’t give a poo poo what colour the money is.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

This is just the Canadian version of accusing Bernie Sanders of being a Russian spy.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Considering our "Canadian" conservative causes/think tanks/etc. are funded in significant part by American conservatives or conservative groups, I'm not too bothered by anti-pipeline stuff receiving USD.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
PostMedia is entirely funded by Americans

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lassitude posted:

Considering our "Canadian" conservative causes/think tanks/etc. are funded in significant part by American conservatives or conservative groups, I'm not too bothered by anti-pipeline stuff receiving USD.

Yeah given the amount of money that comes pouring in from south of the border, it's hard to get particularly annoyed at this sort of behaviour anymore. This is how the American empire has done so well, Americans love spending money abroad to promote their interests.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

https://twitter.com/NewStarWoman/status/1228431896373288960

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

lmao

also

I was at the Toronto family day We'suwet'en solidarity march today. It was nice, if a bit cold.

The highlight was a white anti vaxxor who kept trying to steal the mike and break up drumming circles to say that native genocide isn't the only genocide and vaccines are genocide.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Toalpaz posted:

lmao

also

I was at the Toronto family day We'suwet'en solidarity march today. It was nice, if a bit cold.

The highlight was a white anti vaxxor who kept trying to steal the mike and break up drumming circles to say that native genocide isn't the only genocide and vaccines are genocide.

The Ottawa one was mostly benign. They even stopped on the Rideau Canal.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/IvisonJ/status/1229570400868339719
that's the stuff

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

literally :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A take so hot they're serving it with wings.