Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Bloop posted:

It's fine, not Starfleet but clearly a duty uniform.

Strap-on gorilla arms are a bit silly.

She looks good here. It's not dramatic like the others, but still an improvement imo.

After season...3(?) they switched to a version of the Kira uniform that doesn’t have the goofball shoulders and looks much, much better. Though I think she’s fine in the purple Starfleet too.

This version.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

The Bloop posted:

It's fine, not Starfleet but clearly a duty uniform.

Strap-on gorilla arms are a bit silly.

She looks good here. It's not dramatic like the others, but still an improvement imo.

I guess it’s a matter of personal preference but the situations aren’t remotely comparable. Kira was wearing the Bajoran uniform because she wasn’t starfleet, not because the producers decided they needed a hotty in a corset catsuit to titillate audiences. I think the Bajoran uniforms look good too, and that starfleet uniforms post-TNG were boring.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

GORDON posted:

Imagine the perfect Romulan accountant: one who refuses on principle to ever keep an accurate ledger, for fear another might learn the truth of it.

Romulan mafia accountant with two sets of books, both complete lies

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The actual records were etched in unbreakable code on an un-falsifiable data crystal, which was transported into deep space by a Lessepian cargo ship no-questions-asked, teleported into the interestellar medium, and then the ship who took it there was destroyed by a warbird whose captain was also unaware of her true mission.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Arglebargle III posted:

The actual records were etched in unbreakable code on an un-falsifiable data crystal, which was transported into deep space by a Lessepian cargo ship no-questions-asked, teleported into the interestellar medium, and then the ship who took it there was destroyed by a warbird whose captain was also unaware of her true mission.

Look, if you can think of a better way to do things I’d love to hear it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

skasion posted:

After season...3(?) they switched to a version of the Kira uniform that doesn’t have the goofball shoulders and looks much, much better. Though I think she’s fine in the purple Starfleet too.

This version.

This one is good, but I still like her Starfleet look better. That grey-shouldered uniform isn't my overall favorite but it's a really flattering look for some reason, unless you're bloated Nemesis Frakes/Spiner.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This one is good, but I still like her Starfleet look better. That grey-shouldered uniform isn't my overall favorite but it's a really flattering look for some reason, unless you're bloated Nemesis Frakes/Spiner.

Really? The First Contact uniform was always my favourite of the lot. It just looks so classy and professional compared to the other ones, which just all look like pajamas or weird space shirts. I've said a few times now that one my biggest gripes with Voyager was that they didn't switch to the FC uniforms once they got back in regular contact with Starfleet. Because folks like Robert Duncan McNeil, Garrett Wang, Roxann Dawson, Tim Russ, and Jeri Ryan could have rocked the poo poo out of that look.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Kira is just hot, both by looks and by character. Any uniform, she is very cute and charming.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

marktheando posted:

It's funny/cool that Jeri Ryan is probably the Star Trek crew member most likely to be mentioned in history books written centuries from now, with the role her divorce played in the start of Obama's career.

What?

nine-gear crow posted:

Really? The First Contact uniform was always my favourite of the lot. It just looks so classy and professional compared to the other ones, which just all look like pajamas or weird space shirts. I've said a few times now that one my biggest gripes with Voyager was that they didn't switch to the FC uniforms once they got back in regular contact with Starfleet. Because folks like Robert Duncan McNeil, Garrett Wang, Roxann Dawson, Tim Russ, and Jeri Ryan could have rocked the poo poo out of that look.

From a Crew standpoint, I kind of understand it. I once worked at this restaurant that had a "uniform" which was just a very specific type of clothes but you could wiggle with the colours to some extent. At some point, somebody higher up in the company but never actually around the workers decreed some new uniform standard to be imposed and all of those who had lived under the old guard fought tooth and nail to keep the old stuff. It was probably a few new managers before the oldies were finally forced to comply or gtfo. After all the crap the crew went through together, plus the crew who were semi ex-terrorists, I can see practical reasons in-universe not to update uniform.

Of course, in my anecdote we were servers humping the poverty line and beyond just the new uniform discarding whatever little wiggle room for persona identity we had left, it also imposed a very real financial burden on us we had to pay out of own wages! That definitely changes the dynamic. I want to ask my military family members how they feel when their uniforms change designs mid-duty.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I read somewhere recently (maybe even in this thread) that naval vessels only tend to do uniform changes when in port. Don't know how true that is.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The 2004 senate election in Illinois that launched Obama’s political career was contested with Ryan’s ex-husband, who lost in large part because someone leaked their divorce papers about how he tried to get her to go to weird sex dungeons and poo poo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Khanstant posted:

I want to ask my military family members how they feel when their uniforms change designs mid-duty.

For the Air Force at least, there is a period of time where both uniforms are in use. People who had the old uniform can keep wearing it. New people are issued the new uniform. Then after a set grace period, the old uniform is no longer in regs and you have to have the new one. It only sucks if you're getting out of the military just after the old one goes out of regs. The military gives out an annual clothing allowance and it's about 400 dollars. So if your uniform is jacked, there's no excuse for being unable to get a new one. Most people spend their clothing allowance on beer anyway.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Delthalaz posted:

I guess it’s a matter of personal preference but the situations aren’t remotely comparable. Kira was wearing the Bajoran uniform because she wasn’t starfleet, not because the producers decided they needed a hotty in a corset catsuit to titillate audiences.

Totally, which is why it was an afterthought in my post

nine-gear crow posted:

Agreed. Those uniforms definitely looked the most refined and badass

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
shoulderpads are hot and should be a part of all uniforms thanks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

skasion posted:

The 2004 senate election in Illinois that launched Obama’s political career was contested with Ryan’s ex-husband, who lost in large part because someone leaked their divorce papers about how he tried to get her to go to weird sex dungeons and poo poo

That's wonderful! What a creep, gently caress that guy.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

skasion posted:

Jack Ryan (yes that's his real name) dropped out after the divorce leak and he was replaced with carpetbagger Alan Keyes (fresh off criticizing Hillary for being a carpetbagger in New York) who Obama rolled over without breaking a sweat, understandable if you've ever heard Alan Keyes talk.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

I don’t mind the space pajama look and I like a lot of color in uniforms, so the S3-7 TNG uniform is still the one to beat IMO. The grey/black uni is definitely a good look and some actors pull it off really well, but it’s a little too drab for my taste. In fairness, it fits the Dominion arc on DS9 really well and it finally gave the admirals a great look.

The Voyager/early DS9 uniform is just awful and amateurish and I hate that the “modern” Starfleet uni in Picard takes inspiration from it.

Other good uniforms:
TOS Monster Maroons
Enterprise jumpsuits
TPM Kirk Admiral uniform
Beyond TOS unis

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I really liked the Enterprise admiral business jumpsuit variant

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

I really liked the Enterprise admiral business jumpsuit

Same. I especially liked that they used purple as the admiral colour instead of just more red. It made it feel like it was a completely separate branch from the rank and file Starfleet folks and really made them stand out even more. I wish they’d bring that back, it was real classy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Bloop posted:

I really liked the Enterprise admiral business jumpsuit variant

Maybe it’s just because we’d seen ten years of nonstop bus upholstery fashion at that point, but Enterprise had a great overall look for its costumes. Everything feels like a natural extrapolation of modern looks 150 years in the future and it gives the show a style distinct from everything else. Obviously a lot of it was just budget saving, but I really like the relatively casual look of stuff like Admiral Business here or the Starfleet desert uniforms that are just tan henleys with baseball caps. The bronzed EV suits are fantastic. The only bad Enterprise uni I can think of offhand is when they slapped some wire tubing on the Nemesis Reman suits for the Xindi Reptiles, but again that’s mostly due to budget.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I didn't watch much of it but I enjoyed Doug Drexler's various updates and Enterprise also looked to have really good graphic and set design; a lot of thought put into making things look "right" as a TOS predecessor but still futuristic to a 2000s audience.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I kinda liked the NX-01 look (and love the Akira), but the NX Refit looks absolutely dope and would have been wonderful to have brought into the series as great step between the NX-01 and the TOS Enterprise.

Enterprise as a show might have been meh, but I loved the uniforms and ship sets, feeling very much like a submarine in space and a somewhat believable feel of future ship design.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm starting to get a bit bummed out that the beautiful character of picard has been implicated in this new show.

i might need to start pretending it doesn't exist soon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mortanis posted:

I kinda liked the NX-01 look (and love the Akira), but the NX Refit looks absolutely dope and would have been wonderful to have brought into the series as great step between the NX-01 and the TOS Enterprise.

Enterprise as a show might have been meh, but I loved the uniforms and ship sets, feeling very much like a submarine in space and a somewhat believable feel of future ship design.

It was a great premise in need of better showrunners, namely not a domineering hack and a dude who was absolutely burned out on Star Trek and just flying on autopilot for the paycheck. Also the Intrepid design should have been the one they went with for the NX-01. Or at least something that tapered down into a singular hull instead of the catamaran look.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Same. I especially liked that they used purple as the admiral colour instead of just more red. It made it feel like it was a completely separate branch from the rank and file Starfleet folks and really made them stand out even more. I wish they’d bring that back, it was real classy.

I think it's more of a tactical mauve.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think my favourite bit of production design from ENT was how as the series progressed and the ship's computers got upgrades, each change would introduce more bright multicoloured blinking boxes to the GUI. It's a crime the Okudas weren't approached for the new shows; it would have been wild to see what they'd come up with today with access to modern TVs and monitors and rear projection stuff

Like looking back a lot of the poo poo they made was hacked together from the previous 30 years of show and movie props and it was a little bland in it's first two years (the "phase weapon" and "photonic torpedo FX come to mind, why change them if you aren't going to change them?)but I've come to quite like that era of Starfleet design. Shame about the rest of the show

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The only thing I genuinely hate about the Enterprise set design was when they’d show the bridge of the Columbia or one of the alternate future ships and it had those obnoxious dual pulsing light pillars either right in front of or behind the captain’s chair. Like I get it, it’s a quick visual shorthand for “this is not the Enterprise” but it’s just so lazy and lovely looking.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RLM predictions:

Romulans created the Borg.

Lore will return.

We'll seeeee.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 18, 2020

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only bad Enterprise uni I can think of offhand is when they slapped some wire tubing on the Nemesis Reman suits for the Xindi Reptiles, but again that’s mostly due to budget.
Temporal Agent Buster Bluth Daniels reporting for duty in my shredded aquarium hose outfit.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only thing I genuinely hate about the Enterprise set design was when they’d show the bridge of the Columbia or one of the alternate future ships and it had those obnoxious dual pulsing light pillars either right in front of or behind the captain’s chair. Like I get it, it’s a quick visual shorthand for “this is not the Enterprise” but it’s just so lazy and lovely looking.

True, but that's also a solid tradition from the TNG days, where alternate reality versions of the Enterprise-D would be the same bridge with out of place bits that weren't even colour matched bolted on.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Watching DIS S01E04, it feels like they had intended for Lorca to be evil since the beginning of the show, as he engages in kick the puppy nipple-clamp the tardigrade cruelty, but that doesn't really change that a Mirror Universe story released weekly in the context of fans having reason to be anxious that Star Trek is going to go full-24 was a bad idea

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835149&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=75
Flashback to when the thread was discussing whether Lorca is from the Mirror Universe, and yeah, "this is not us, we're meant to be explorers!" has been a plot point for too long. If there's another series set after Picard, I'd like it to be another plain straight-up exploration series

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 18, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And on the other hand, I loved that the exterior of the production-model NX class had subtle differences to Enterprise. Different hull tint, slightly different dish, a few modifications to the greebles. It felt very real-world, they'd tweaked things based on experience with the prototype and advancing technology.

The flashy bridge lights sucked though, yeah.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 18, 2020

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I always liked the inversed TNG costume designs they used in Voyager and early DS9. I thought it was an elegant way of keeping the bright distinguishable colour feel of Trek (which was welcome in the days of lovely analog tv), whilst at the same time correcting the issues with the original costumes, allowing the bright colours to attract your eyes to their shoulders / head instead of their paunch.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I totally forgot that I saw this fashion ad in Japan a few years back. Don't remember the brand and can't make out the label on the sleeve.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Arglebargle III posted:

RLM predictions:

Romulans created the Borg.

Lore will return.

We'll seeeee.

RLM is picking joke theory breadcrumbs off this forum and try to shove them as their 'predictions' for the money off the views :v:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Arglebargle III posted:

Lore will return.

What are the odds that Data let Maddox have Lore after Descent?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

What are the odds that Data let Maddox have Lore after Descent?

I mean, Picard is flying off on a fuckton of assumptions here. What if he gets to Maddox and is like “Where did you send the androids you created. The ones based on the painting of Data’s daughter.” And Maddox is like “the gently caress are you talking about? I haven’t made any androids since Mars went down.”

And then we cut to HOLY poo poo IT WAS LORE ALL ALONG and he’s just chilling in a secret base with like hundreds of Dahjes milling like they’re Tricia Helfer in :bsg: or something. And he’s just like “soon, my daughters. Soon.” and then one of them way in the back goes “Are you saying Soon, or Soong?”

Hire me Kurtzman. I‘ll work for peanuts, and I’ll intentionally do poo poo that makes this thread even madder.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

Hire me Kurtzman. I‘ll work for peanuts, and I’ll intentionally do poo poo that makes this thread even madder.

Try writing a proper loving trek, see most of current readers go nuts

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Star Trek: Enterprise-J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Photocopy a script filmed for TNG, re-used in DS9, twice more in Voyager, and again in Enterprise?