Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

If you build the belts leading away at the bottom first you can build from bottom to top with the lifts delivering top to bottom.

The way lift placement works is that the entry is placed first and the exit second, but this is overriden if the first point already has a direction set by an outgoing belt.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Domattee posted:

If you build the belts leading away at the bottom first you can build from bottom to top with the lifts delivering top to bottom.

The way lift placement works is that the entry is placed first and the exit second, but this is overriden if the first point already has a direction set by an outgoing belt.

Oh awesome, thank you!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It's amazing how much windows help making buildings look like buildings.

Or, look like places humans belong, which I'm not entirely sure matches Ficsit's methods.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

nielsm posted:

It's amazing how much windows help making buildings look like buildings.

Or, look like places humans belong, which I'm not entirely sure matches Ficsit's methods.

The one actual building I’ve ever constructed in this game did have windows, but was packed completely full of 720 ingots/min of smelters feeding three T3 output belts.

Given the amount of offgassing smelters appear to cause from their animation, I can only imagine what an unprotected, unaugmented human would experience trapped in there with everything running flat out.

Anyone else having equipment, especially Blade Runners, do wild poo poo animation wise while you’re traveling down hypertubes? It seems to sometimes happen with whatever tool I have in my hands when I jump in, but definitely my Runners are always sticking directly out from my thighs such that they clip out of the tube, or waving around wildly, or some such poo poo.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm sad that sliding appears to be slower than the bladerunners

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

I’ve got plasma dogs and gently caress-off pigs running at me out of foliage 10m away from miners and their conveyor setups, at this point. Before my tubes and skyway went up, I had to fight my way through the guards at my quartz patch, then AT LEAST two more packs of pigs and one of dogs just to get out to work on my steelworks and its raw material feeds.

The current bane of my existence is an elite plasma dog guarding the top of a mountain where I'm trying to go as it's the only relatively nearby place that has quartz crystals. Fucker has killed me so many times I have a hypertube built to get to my own corpse. I need to get sulfer research going so I can properly explode him with a rifle or nobelisks.

His green multi-shots are pretty to look at though. This is still a very pretty game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Did they ever get something similar to blueprints working? The tedium of lining up buildings and hooking up wires is what caused me to put the game down for a while. Even just larger foundation blocks or a way to drag them over a wide aread would help immensely.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Speedball posted:

The current bane of my existence is an elite plasma dog guarding the top of a mountain where I'm trying to go as it's the only relatively nearby place that has quartz crystals. Fucker has killed me so many times I have a hypertube built to get to my own corpse. I need to get sulfer research going so I can properly explode him with a rifle or nobelisks.

His green multi-shots are pretty to look at though. This is still a very pretty game.

Yeah, even just tubing around my initial refinery build the scenery is gorgeous as gently caress; my main route between steel and HUB installations is worth taking a look at every time I head back to do something; I bet starting in the forest would be frankly fantastic for tube-touring.

Also, last thing I did before logging off last night was to unlock and build both the rifle and cartridges. Time to archive my trusty Rebar Gun and the 2.5 stacks of ammo I have for it, then go hunting :getin:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Speedball posted:

Bring concrete and build a shelter to soak the plasma balls. Peek, shoot, hide, repeat.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Somebody wanted pipe-spaghetti?

Red is fuel, bottom right is rubber, plastic is to the right of that. Top left is polymer resin processing, bottom left is petroleum coke.
Pipes are colored by content: White is crude, red is fuel, blue is water, vomit is heavy residue

Balancing pipes on the main crude bus:

The new overflow method. Sends <1% to the disposal even if output isn't backed up.

The mergers feed forward into more mergers and then storage and output. The splitters send half of their input to the next splitter and half back to the mergers. If the output isn't backed up 1/128 of the input is sent to the muncher.

The pipeline feeding all of this, from the gold coast

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Domattee posted:

The mergers feed forward into more mergers and then storage and output. The splitters send half of their input to the next splitter and half back to the mergers. If the output isn't backed up 1/128 of the input is sent to the muncher.

I did a similar thing, but put lifts on both sides. 2^7 = 128, but 3^7 = 2187.

e: actually, after seeing the other shot, I did something different. Here's mine

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 16, 2020

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I do wonder if some of these new liquid production numbers will be rebalanced. The math on aluminum is... odd.

Essentially, if you make the petroleum coke and alumina on site and use 100% off the output, the created silica works out to be like 28.6% of the needed silica for the creation of aluminium ingots. That's... not an easy number to balance, since if either the coke or the silica builds up too much, the factory could shut down.

Also, a small tip: fluid pumps make the pipe one directional. This can me useful (make sure that a shared pipe prioritizes one application over another) or frustrating (when you slap one on your oil pipeline in the wrong direction accidentally and wonder why no oil is reaching your factory)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wait a minute. The above talk about production overflow got me thinking... the fluids have physics. They'll flow into horizontal pipes before vertical pipes. If you make something simple like this:

Then you've got an actual overflow valve. The top tank won't start filling until the bottom tank is mostly (all the way?) full. Direct the bottom tank to your production, and the top tank to disposal, and you'll never have to worry about upstream production shutting down from completely filled storage tanks.

(Also, I love the colored pipe and am certainly stealing that idea when I start my grand rebuild)

edit: I haven't checked, what happens when you mix fluids? Does it just mark it as 'useless slurry', or...?
edit: I checked, it actually prevents you from mixing different fluids:

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 16, 2020

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

You can't mix fluids, it won't allow you to connect the pipes and if you have a pipe filled with something connected to a production building that outputs something else the output counts as blocked.

I do like the gravity filtering though, that'd be useful to prioritize different production lines, like fuel over rubber. That would make overflow easier in the end, since you only need to check the last product for overflow. So fuel prioritized over plastic which is prioritized over rubber. The plastic is more efficient than the rubber and if that backs up you only have to mulch the excess rubber. Depending on your alternate recipes you could maybe even run your fuel production exclusively from the plastic by-product and have the direct fuel only kick in if plastic production is shutting down due to a backup.

Dr. Stab posted:

I did a similar thing, but put lifts on both sides. 2^7 = 128, but 3^7 = 2187.

e: actually, after seeing the other shot, I did something different. Here's mine

I thought about doing something like that, but I have three products filtering at once, rubber, plastic and petroleum coke, and that setup was too bulky for me. Is the middle row of mergers just decorative?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Domattee posted:

I thought about doing something like that, but I have three products filtering at once, rubber, plastic and petroleum coke, and that setup was too bulky for me. Is the middle row of mergers just decorative?

The middle row could be deleted. You have to build the splitters and mergers separated to get the spacing right.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Yeah, the oil changes mean you have an initial panic attack about production shutting down when waste products back up, but the ability to throw them into the coupon mulcher means there IS a solution to it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is there any way to do an overflow splitter, where products go down one route only if the other is backed up?

Unrelated: My Fluid Buffer schematic seems to have disappeared, I only have the Industrial one available.
Edit: It might have never existed. I unlocked the Industrial Fluid Buffer along with the Industrial storage, but it looks like the buffer I'd previously built was also one of those so you just unlock it twice.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 17, 2020

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Few more thoughts. My factories tend to be very cluttered and not nearly as organized as most people's screenshots. They also tend to be really spread out. But that's okay, it gives me a little wiggle room. That also means that the hypertubes are a godsend. I use them to get to distant parts of my factory base or just to shave off running time. I used to rely on the jump pads and cushion for that, but those were a little...unreliable.

Often how I wind up building my bases is I start paving over valleys or canyons with foundations. Giant empty space is perfect for building areas, though sometimes that makes weird pathways in the sky that look ugly.

I wonder if they'd ever include solar power and/or capacitor batteries. The way the game handles power I'm not sure it would gel well, but maybe. It'd be nice to have some juice that didn't consume tons of resources constantly. You could balance it out by requiring the solar panels to have a lot of high-grade materials to build. And while I'm wishing for things that aren't in the game, how about a drone delivery system. It would require fuel for balance, but you could deliver stuff through the sky in a way that trucks couldn't reach and conveyor belts would take too long.

The ticket grinder likes complex items more than simple ones, and if you have spares of the Project Assembly parts, you can feed them to that and it's good for several thousand ticket points a pop. I just hit the later tier and the earlier Project Assembly items became useless, so throwing them into the grinder got me about five or six tickets. Nice.

I just unlocked oil and am going to have to restructure my entire base to start building motors en mass. I'm glad I already had the resources in play for most of the other junk that oil refinement requires... hmmm.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Speedball posted:

It'd be nice to have some juice that didn't consume tons of resources constantly. You could balance it out by requiring the solar panels to have a lot of high-grade materials to build. And while I'm wishing for things that aren't in the game, how about a drone delivery system. It would require fuel for balance, but you could deliver stuff through the sky in a way that trucks couldn't reach and conveyor belts would take too long.

Geothermal plants exist and are what you're talking about.

https://satisfactory.gamepedia.com/Geo_Thermal_Generator

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Synastren posted:

Geothermal plants exist and are what you're talking about.

https://satisfactory.gamepedia.com/Geo_Thermal_Generator

That's a really good point, geothermal is the perfect power source to sustain the water pumping required to bring coal/nuclear back online after a power loss. Probably also to run a base of fuel production.

Also, if you want to try making more structured layouts, try building factories backwards. Decide on an end product, build the machines for that on the bottom floor, then continue building machines to supply the inputs on the floors above. Smelters on the roof, their smoke is ugly when it clips through floors.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 17, 2020

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Can't you put a water tank just before your power plant so it will always have water to restart?
Since the game seem to model gravity you could aso use a inverted U as a sort of one way valve to make sure the tank doesn't flow back to the main water circuit but only toward the power plants.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

nielsm posted:

Also, if you want to try making more structured layouts, try building factories backwards.
I'm only just done incorporating steel and have definitely got to do this instead of building off a cliff and having to jumpslide for 300 meters or run a bunch of belt to get end products back to somewhere useful

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I still get the impression to build factories mainly as backdrops for Mario Kart tracks.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still get the impression to build factories mainly as backdrops for Mario Kart tracks.

Welcome to the Update 3 meta

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Krogort posted:

Can't you put a water tank just before your power plant so it will always have water to restart?
Since the game seem to model gravity you could aso use a inverted U as a sort of one way valve to make sure the tank doesn't flow back to the main water circuit but only toward the power plants.

ITT goons reinvent the water tower

I'm surprised that there's no actual overflow splitter, is that something that's been mentioned by the developers?

I've also reinstalled this since you were all having fun, and goodness is this game different from the first public launch!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm actually burning out on this pretty early on because of the rebalanced recipes. Everything just takes so drat long to craft now that I'm doubling up on assemblers which means I need to supply more materials and I end up stopping my sessions frustrated at something.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The alternate screw recipe helps

The cart and tubes also help. You spend so much less time running

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

euphronius posted:

The alternate screw recipe helps

The cart and tubes also help. You spend so much less time running

I haven't gotten the tubes yet but those do sound extremely helpful for getting around. Also I have the cart available but not enough coupons for it so I should probably get on that sooner than later.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

explosivo posted:

I haven't gotten the tubes yet but those do sound extremely helpful for getting around. Also I have the cart available but not enough coupons for it so I should probably get on that sooner than later.

The first space elevator specific item - I forget what it is called - is useful to dump for coupons

Tubes are extremely cheap. You just need very basic steel and copper

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I really wish they would fix it so inverted mouse works in vehicles. I'm totally unable to use them as it is now. (Would also be nice if they didn't slow your mouse movements to molasses when inside one, but I guess that's asking too much)

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

euphronius posted:

The first space elevator specific item - I forget what it is called - is useful to dump for coupons

Tubes are extremely cheap. You just need very basic steel and copper

I've been using craterium wire as my coupon dump

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

kanonvandekempen posted:

I've been using craterium wire as my coupon dump

It’s pronounced, “cue-KAY” wire actually

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I just started playing last weekend and switched to experimental build yesterday because those pipes look cool, but the nerf to bench crafting speed feels rather punitive.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Danimo posted:

I just started playing last weekend and switched to experimental build yesterday because those pipes look cool, but the nerf to bench crafting speed feels rather punitive.

By the end-game, you're better off using manufacturers for everything anyway, because the bench can't use the alternate recipes, and they are usually of a higher yield or lower cost than the regular recipes. I haven't used the bench much. How much did they change it?

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I'm still very early and crafting screws, reinforced plates and solid biofuel by hand. Screws and biofuel take much longer in the experimental build, its awful. I'm spending 2-3x more time dealing with biomass burning than before.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have a storage unit - constructor - storage unit near my HUB specifically for things like solid biofuel and other things I want to automate but don’t want dedicated space for. Empty my inventory, craft a bunch of organs, throw the biofuel into the first storage unit and move on.

Later on I do the same setup for an assembler, to make one-off runs on things.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You can even leave the biomass processor setup intact later in the game when you're not burning it: You'll need a bunch for gas mask filters and radiation suit filters.

It's so nice to come back to the base after an expedition, unload a bunch of mushrooms and leaves, and find a new pile of filters already waiting for you from the last expedition.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Bobulus posted:

By the end-game, you're better off using manufacturers for everything anyway, because the bench can't use the alternate recipes, and they are usually of a higher yield or lower cost than the regular recipes. I haven't used the bench much. How much did they change it?

Screws went from 6 for 1 click to 4 screws for 3 clicks. That's 4.5x the time investment. Biofuel is 5 times worse. Modular Frames used to be 1 for 4 but are now 2 for 15 clicks which isn't that bad but if feels so drat slow. It all just adds up.

They wanted to get people to automate more so they increased the numbers a bit.

Then they introduce new items that are only used for the Space Elevator unlocks. One of the Tier 7/8 unlocks is build at one item per minute in the Manufacturer, and you need 500...
Oh, and the special items can't be handcrafted which makes the Craft Bench nerf even more stupid.

The whole balance of what feels fun to do and the time it takes is a bit off in some areas.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Dude, add more machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

I know the answer is to expand power infrastructure, automate and let it run while I go fight with bugs in the forest but I’m kinda bad at planning production lines and doing things at the bench helped smooth things over and get me to milestones.