Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah I'm taking my Koodo 50 bux 10gb to my loving grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Until next year when you are laughed at for having less than 1tb for that much

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I got an email that Rogers has 5G now(probably just in Toronto) but is there any indication of how bad were are going to get hosed when it rolls out cross country? 10gb a month on a 5g connection is useless

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Does it really matter how fast it is if you are only doing the same things that you can do now pretty much instantly? Of course it isn't gonna be enough if you are gonna abuse it, or try and maximize the total bandwidth.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
And the 700mhz 5g isn't any faster than current 4g lte, either

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If every video starts streaming in 8K and then I guess it'll be time to consider getting more GB per month but I'm fine for now.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

codo27 posted:

Until next year when you are laughed at for having less than 1tb for that much

I have tons of faith in CanTelecom's ability to adapt new tech, stay current, and charge reasonable rates for data.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

codo27 posted:

Does it really matter how fast it is if you are only doing the same things that you can do now pretty much instantly? Of course it isn't gonna be enough if you are gonna abuse it, or try and maximize the total bandwidth.

I can hit my data limit pretty easily if I don't watch just by strolling through Twitter or whatever on a daily basis. It's bizarre that ISPs and Telcos force people in this country to ration the internet like it's some sort of limited resource and I feel like once we get into the later stages of 5G speeds and more and more hi-res internet videos it's only going to get worse.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Artificial scarcity at its most artificial and scarce. :canada:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

I can hit my data limit pretty easily if I don't watch just by strolling through Twitter or whatever on a daily basis.
So fix that.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Are there any decent deals going on right now? I moved back from the US and I'm currently on a Google fi plan.

I've been using Fongo for my ported Canadian number for a couple of years now, but now that I actually live here, it's reliability is insufficient.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

St_Ides posted:

Are there any decent deals going on right now? I moved back from the US and I'm currently on a Google fi plan.

I've been using Fongo for my ported Canadian number for a couple of years now, but now that I actually live here, it's reliability is insufficient.
That's such a vague question that the answer is "maybe?"

It's entirely dependent on what you're after.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

No. The answer is always no.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That too.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Buy a Public Mobile plan and then wait for a sweet offer to migrate to Koodo

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

less than three posted:

Buy a Public Mobile plan and then wait for a sweet offer to migrate to Koodo

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans

This is what I did but I wish I had never switched. The PM roaming plans are miles above any other carrier. And when I was with PM it was $15/mo to roam in the US. I cry every day.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah just sticking with PM is good if you don't need a device subsidy.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This is a decent summary of the current state; https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Guides/best-cell-phone-plans

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I pay almost $20 less per month than that Koodo plan, on my OG Public Mobile unicorn offer. :stare:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Can you pre-order phones through Rogers Direct? I want an S20 but its not listed. I'll probably have to call them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dillbag posted:

This is what I did but I wish I had never switched. The PM roaming plans are miles above any other carrier. And when I was with PM it was $15/mo to roam in the US. I cry every day.

I signed up to the deal last summer where it was unlimited US call/text roaming with 2GB of US data (and Canada wide with 8.5GB as well) $60/month instead of the add-ons they normally do. I'm sure I am paying more per year than just a Canada only plan + roaming add-on when I need it but I get $50/month from work for my cell so it saves me remembering to buy the add-on.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
:sigh: when you can get unlimited, unthrottled plus 5gb roaming data cheaper than anything in your own country.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

less than three posted:

:sigh: when you can get unlimited, unthrottled plus 5gb roaming data cheaper than anything in your own country.

IIRC that's a seniors deal, 55+

e. Hmmm, maybe not. Looks like it's not seniors-only any more.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 18, 2020

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dillbag posted:

IIRC that's a seniors deal, 55+

Anyone can get it. Starting at 70 for 1 line down to 35 each if you have 4.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Aren't all the new PM plans limited to 3G speeds on LTE, too? The older ones are not.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

That whiteout site (great site, btw) has made me question my "wonderful" Sask plan that I held onto when I moved back.

I currently pay (with tax) 72.80 for unlimited cross-Canada calling, unlimited text and 5 GB of data. I have an iPhone SE that's still trucking along that I may replace the battery on rather that get a new phone.

I'm looking at Koodo and I have a few questions:

1. How hard is it to port from Telus to Kodoo? They're the same carrier (except in name...). Are there "key" features I can't get on Kodoo? Which leads to...

2. Wifi-calling. I need this as the coverage in my area is awful thanks to wonderful trees (plz no hurt trees) and US carriers.

3. I'm toying with getting a cellular Apple Watch for work (I kinda want one, everyone else in IT has a smart watch, it looks more professional than checking your phone), can I get a data add-on on Kodoo easily?

I'll buy the watch outright, I don't believe in paying off phones.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah 3mbps.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Snuffman posted:

That whiteout site (great site, btw) has made me question my "wonderful" Sask plan that I held onto when I moved back.

I'm looking at Koodo and I have a few questions:

1. How hard is it to port from Telus to Kodoo? They're the same carrier (except in name...). Are there "key" features I can't get on Kodoo? Which leads to...

2. Wifi-calling. I need this as the coverage in my area is awful thanks to wonderful trees (plz no hurt trees) and US carriers.

3. I'm toying with getting a cellular Apple Watch for work (I kinda want one, everyone else in IT has a smart watch, it looks more professional than checking your phone), can I get a data add-on on Kodoo easily?

I'll buy the watch outright, I don't believe in paying off phones.

1. Should be no problem. Name display is something I noticed switching from Koodo to TELUS, not sure if Koodo gets that.

2. Wi-fi calling is only supported on: https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling My phone supports it, so I tried and it wouldn't work. Assuming because it's not on the list.

3. I don't believe they offer that.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
How difficult is it to port a number to another carrier? I'm on Rogers now and my wife is on Telus, and Telus has better corporate deals that my wife gets access to. I was thinking of having another line added to her Telus corporate deal but I'd have to port my number from Rogers. Is this a huge pain in the rear end or is it relatively easy to do?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

VERTiG0 posted:

How difficult is it to port a number to another carrier? I'm on Rogers now and my wife is on Telus, and Telus has better corporate deals that my wife gets access to. I was thinking of having another line added to her Telus corporate deal but I'd have to port my number from Rogers. Is this a huge pain in the rear end or is it relatively easy to do?

It's dangerously easy, just provide your account number.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's all automated and taken care of on the new carrier's end.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
TELUS the first to point a gun and say opening up the market to competition will "have consequences"

quote:

Entwistle emphasized his position by volunteering to submit, confidentially, the Telus board's instructions for managers to start making plans for cutting spending and jobs if the CRTC chooses MVNOs over facilities-based carriers.

quote:

The Telus position is that Canada's wireless market is already extremely competitive, prices are actually quite affordable contrary to popular belief
fuckin lol.

less than three fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 21, 2020

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Oh no, guess those billions would have to go to other companies and the 5000 people that get laid off can go to the new competitors.

Darn what a shame oh gee oh golly.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Chris Knight posted:

It's all automated and taken care of on the new carrier's end.

Unless you're porting to Public Mobile and have plug in the account info into PM's site yourself, but even then it's really hard to gently caress up.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
The best part is $1 bil over 5 years is a drop in the bucket to telus, he just throws it out there cause it looks worse to the layman.

$11,000,000,000 in revenue

Cut by $200,000,000 a year.

Oh no. What a loss. Canadians should be afraid.

How is telus gonna survive with only 10.8 billion dollars

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 21, 2020

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Canadian Cellular: the market is already extremely competitive, prices are actually quite affordable contrary to popular belief

is that too long, prices are actually quite affordable contrary to popular belief works too

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Nitr0 posted:

The best part is $1 bil over 5 years is a drop in the bucket to telus, he just throws it out there cause it looks worse to the layman.

$11,000,000,000 in revenue

Cut by $200,000,000 a year.

Oh no. What a loss. Canadians should be afraid.

How is telus gonna survive with only 10.8 billion dollars

4.5 loving percent of revenue??!! It’s madness! How they gonna live

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 21, 2020

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I honestly can't even say which of the big 3 is worse. They're all so genuinely terrible in every way.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nitr0 posted:

4.5 loving percent of revenue??!! It’s madness! How they gonna live

Spend less on candles I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

I honestly can't even say which of the big 3 is worse. They're all so genuinely terrible in every way.

I thought TELUS was trying hard to clean up their image and one-up the others then they pull this.

They are all bad in their own unique ways.