Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

seems like it’d be real bad for the optics of your resume that you might go dev -> sr dev-> principal dev -> back to plain old dev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

seems like it’d be real bad for the optics of your resume that you might go dev -> sr dev-> principal dev -> back to plain old dev

Only if your hiring is done by people so green in this industry they don't realize titles don't mean much because someone can get senior roles after 2 years or be a CTO as the only technical person in their startup.

You definitely need to look at the (employer, role) combo to know whatever it's supposed to stand for, at least until some sort of professional guild comes and normalizes requirements, which I don't foresee happening any time soon. The bad optics mostly happen if the same employer is the one sending you back a few grades.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

jesus WEP posted:

tf is this “oh we hate job titles everyone is just ‘developer’” bullshit that companies do. where did it come from

Gildiss posted:

Not wanting to have structure pay grades?

it’s this. when everyone has the same title you can pay everyone whatever and it takes them longer to figure out there’s a discrepancy.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

raminasi posted:

it’s this. when everyone has the same title you can pay everyone whatever and it takes them longer to figure out there’s a discrepancy.

That's probably true at most places that do it, but OTOH junior/mid/senior/whatever titles are some serious bullshit and reinforce hierarchical ways of thinking

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

pointsofdata posted:

That's probably true at most places that do it, but OTOH junior/mid/senior/whatever titles are some serious bullshit and reinforce hierarchical ways of thinking

tbqh I have big objections to both ways of doing it, but I don’t have any better ideas myself

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
took new job ty goons

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

barkbell posted:

took new job ty goons

:yotj:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

barkbell posted:

boss chastised me during review today for mentioning going to meetups and networking events saying it could make people 'uncomfortable'. time to actually brush off the resume in case this interview this week doesn't work out.

reminder that you posted this exactly one week ago and that you now get to go in tomorrow and shove a resignation letter up his rear end. and also no more than 30 seconds after walking in the door.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
:woop:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

qhat posted:

reminder that you posted this exactly one week ago and that you now get to go in tomorrow and shove a resignation letter up his rear end. and also no more than 30 seconds after walking in the door.

and report back their reaction

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

jesus WEP posted:

this is a good example but most times it doesn’t happen this way

*edit for better example*

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 18, 2020

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CrazyLittle posted:

My current progression is Java Developer -> Senior Java Developer -> Senior Java Architecht -> Software Eningeer III -> Software Developer and my boss keeps trying to add non-software-development duties to my plate.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
promoted from coffee person to programmer, that's a nice step up

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ya goongrats

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you go from lead dev or something similar at a small no-name company, to SDE II/III at FAANG, I think anybody who isn't a complete idiot would recognize that as a promotion.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CrazyLittle posted:

*edit for better example*

qhat posted:

If you go from lead dev or something similar at a small no-name company, to SDE II/III at FAANG, I think anybody who isn't a complete idiot would recognize that as a promotion.

this is at the same company tho

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

got a call just a day after sending my resume, they are offering much lower pay than what i used to get at basically the same position in another company, looks like they are desperate for people, should I try to negotiate a higher pay anyways? I am really not looking forward to getting mcdonald pay for service desk job, my previous experience on that position is 5 months and i do not have that much technical skills, i know some basic sql, frontend and messing around in windows, currently messing around in linux but not enough to put it in resume.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

RustyKnight posted:

got a call just a day after sending my resume, they are offering much lower pay than what i used to get at basically the same position in another company, looks like they are desperate for people, should I try to negotiate a higher pay anyways? I am really not looking forward to getting mcdonald pay for service desk job, my previous experience on that position is 5 months and i do not have that much technical skills, i know some basic sql, frontend and messing around in windows, currently messing around in linux but not enough to put it in resume.

if you have the spare time to spend on interview practice you could consider going through the process just for the experience and then if/when they make you an offer, counter with something reasonable to see the looks on their faces. (or even take it if you’re not worried about the state of the company.) otherwise give your range now to get them to go away.

e to clarify: you can’t “negotiate” yet because you don’t have an offer yet, but you can say “anything below x is a waste of both our time.” this might cap you at x, but if you weren’t getting x anyway then who cares.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

raminasi posted:

if you have the spare time to spend on interview practice you could consider going through the process just for the experience and then if/when they make you an offer, counter with something reasonable to see the looks on their faces. (or even take it if you’re not worried about the state of the company.) otherwise give your range now to get them to go away.

e to clarify: you can’t “negotiate” yet because you don’t have an offer yet, but you can say “anything below x is a waste of both our time.” this might cap you at x, but if you weren’t getting x anyway then who cares.

I'm planning on telling them what used to be my pay, what is the minimum i can take and try to negotiate that, still i think I'll take the offer if they want me and will search for something else in the meantime, any job is better than unemployment

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i'm expecting an offer today and i literally can't even think about anything else even though i have work to do and an interview this afternoon

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RustyKnight posted:

I'm planning on telling them what used to be my pay, what is the minimum i can take and try to negotiate that, still i think I'll take the offer if they want me and will search for something else in the meantime, any job is better than unemployment

don't tell them anything about your prior salary

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

silvergoose posted:

and report back their reaction

i scheduled the meeting with the same name that he used for the meeting last week.

he used the words disappointing and sudden, and then sat in stunned silence while i told him what the next two weeks are going to look like. i think he was really upset, and i feel a little bad for him.

i didn't mention anything about why i'm leaving for 2/3rds more pay.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RustyKnight posted:

I'm planning on telling them what used to be my pay,

why

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
in addition to the signing bonus being paid out last week, i just realized they front-loaded vacation and sick time for me instead of doing the normal accrual.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

barkbell posted:

in addition to the signing bonus being paid out last week, i just realized they front-loaded vacation and sick time for me instead of doing the normal accrual.

:toot: :toot: yotj

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

barkbell posted:

i scheduled the meeting with the same name that he used for the meeting last week.
lmao nice one

quote:

he used the words disappointing and sudden, and then sat in stunned silence while i told him what the next two weeks are going to look like. i think he was really upset, and i feel a little bad for him.
you'll get over it

and lol forever at managers being stunned when employees leave. we pay you under market and openly discourage you from growing in your career, how could you leave us like this?!??

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

barkbell posted:

:w00t:

sucks for all the people coming after you because they're definitely going to fix that

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

You can't help not feeling bad for people you've been hanging around with for an extended period of time, but you get over it pretty quick, like by the end of the day, and then start looking forward to figures entering your bank account thick and fast.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

FMguru posted:

and lol forever at managers being stunned when employees leave. we pay you under market and openly discourage you from growing in your career, how could you leave us like this?!??

When I left my old job my manager basically told me "yep honestly you're doing the right thing, this company is a shitshow, I'm looking to leave too". He left like 3 months later and even poached one of the teammates for his new company too. I like that guy.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Captain Foo posted:

don't tell them anything about your prior salary

if they ask, lie

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
finally got walked out. i get to start the new gig next week.

direct manager was speechless as said before, and disappeared for a few hours. then i had a chat with his boss, who was visibly fuming. he said some words about burning bridges and boomerang employees.

and now a dev on my team just messaged me on linkedin asking how much i'm now making since she's looking. lmao.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

barkbell posted:

direct manager was speechless as said before, and disappeared for a few hours. then i had a chat with his boss, who was visibly fuming. he said some words about burning bridges and boomerang employees.

and now a dev on my team just messaged me on linkedin asking how much i'm now making since she's looking. lmao.

were they accusing you of burning bridges and that you’d be back or....?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PIZZA.BAT posted:

He's bent 120° degrees maybe

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

PIZZA.BAT posted:

he just said he'd advise me not to burn bridges--not that i was burning a bridge [sic: i was]--especially at a company like this where they have a lot of boomerang employees and they take pride in that.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

barkbell posted:

Getting walked out and not having to work for the rest of the week is the best possible result

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

You got walked out of the office after tendering your resignation - they are the ones burning bridges, not you.

Good riddance.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i feel like mario bouncing off a goomba’s head

i’m going to open a bottle of bubbly and have sex heck ya

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

barkbell posted:

boss chastised me during review today for mentioning going to meetups and networking events saying it could make people 'uncomfortable'. time to actually brush off the resume in case this interview this week doesn't work out.

lol just want to point out again that your boss absolutely knew that you were being underpaid and was afraid of you talking to other people in the industry

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

went and made a pitch today to sell the company I started. I feel like I whiffed it a little because I got a little too in the weeds for the venue (ceo and VP). I had just been talking to the operations Director who is much closer to things and was easier to talk shop with.

I guess I hope the director pulls for me and they get what I was talking about and how it can work for their company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

wait what bridges were you supposedly burning

just...not staying there forever?