Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

What is the virus/malware risk like on downloading an installing mods from Nexus?

I've already installed a bunch, so too late if there is any. I haven't noticed any issues, but just wondered.

The only thing you need to worry about is the advertisments. Nexus subscribes to toxic ad providers that are known to occasionally install malware and break stuff. Turn on your adblock and never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
You can pay $2 to the Nexus and never get ads again. It's worth it considering how much I've downloaded from there. The only malicious files could be SKSE plugins since the code they run is fairly unknown, but so many people download and use these files that there is really no chance of threat. Also Windows should block any .dll trying to access administrative functions.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Nexus subscribes to toxic ad providers that are known to occasionally install malware and break stuff.

Pontificating rear end posted:

You can pay $2 to the Nexus and never get ads again.

Cute business model, that

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I would really rather not use nexus at all. That site is sorely lacking in competition, and they keep pulling bullshit schemes every once in a while. The site sucks and I don't want to contribute to its sucky behaviour.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
If you wanna portray Nexus as an internet bogeyman, clutching pearls about sketchy ad providers and the no-ads pay feature in a thread on the SA forums of all places is about the least convincing possible way to do it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I've got a hankering for playing Skyrim again, beat it ages ago and now I got a free copy of the special edition. Loaded up a bunch of converted mods.

However it seems like SPREG has been ported but not updated at all. I play melee and ranged almost exclusively, with no magic beyond smithing. SPERG really made those things pretty sweet.

Is there another mod that's come in that would be worth taking a lot at?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Pontificating rear end posted:

You can pay $2 to the Nexus and never get ads again. It's worth it considering how much I've downloaded from there. The only malicious files could be SKSE plugins since the code they run is fairly unknown, but so many people download and use these files that there is really no chance of threat. Also Windows should block any .dll trying to access administrative functions.

alternatively, dont

nexus for whatever reason has decided recently to go from their perfectly fine* model to some kind of 2007 mediafire one and barrages you with ads and trying to get you to pay money every step of the way with an increasingly worse UX

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

e: nevermind, reading comprehension fail on my part.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I won't give Nexus a loving penny, because it's their moderation policies and rules that enable and encourage Arthmoor and assholes like him to make the Skyrim modding community as toxic and miserable as it is. You wanna know why there's no modpacks? Blame the Nexus.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

doctor 7 posted:

I've got a hankering for playing Skyrim again, beat it ages ago and now I got a free copy of the special edition. Loaded up a bunch of converted mods.

However it seems like SPREG has been ported but not updated at all. I play melee and ranged almost exclusively, with no magic beyond smithing. SPERG really made those things pretty sweet.

Is there another mod that's come in that would be worth taking a lot at?

The only other Skill/Perk mod Ive ever liked is Ordinator. It's got some neat stuff esepcially if want to try Two-Handed.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Crossposting from the Awful Mods Thread, because there might be like one of you who doesn't read that thread too:

Midnight Voyager posted:

Did you use the mod to make Meridia sound like you could jerk off to her? Do you want to see her cleavage while you do it?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/32689

here we go!

What does she look like in ESO?

Well, she's a person.

I guess I should be grateful they didn't put her in Nocturnal's clothes.

marshmallow creep posted:

Lol the Jesus dedication to this wank mod

Midnight Voyager posted:

Holy poo poo, I missed that

What the hell how are the comments getting weirder:

quote:

Btw... remove from your description that Christian statement - its against the rules of every site, community, forum, etc. Other will start writing about Allah, another for... Adolf Hitler... and goes on and on.

Your believes are fine, keep them for yourself.

Appoda posted:

I like how it's specifically one of those BE ONE OF US OR BURN IN HELL FOREVER christians too

The Dedication posted:

the real force of this world that burns away corruption is Lord Jesus Christ. he uses his holy fire to burn all who oppose him. the world will one day be consumed in it. if you are not seen as a servant of the Lord his fire will destroy you because sin can not stand in the prescience of the Lord almighty

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

big titty daedric prince mod as my vehicle to preach about our lord jesus

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Her hand can touch my beacon any day

eh work with me here

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The crazy Jesus ranting at least ties in nicely with Meridia's dialogue in the game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tell him to model her genitals so I can call her "M'labia" which, while I am proud of it, is somewhat tenuous in the current circumstances

timn
Mar 16, 2010
There's another mod out there that replaces her audio with a re-recording done by a VA who is very obviously Australian. Unfortunately it's also a misfitting waifu-style performance, so the comedy factor doesn't really hold up on its own.

As much as I dread the surprise "A NEW HAND TOUCHES THE BEACON" with each new game, the original VA's performance is admittedly pretty on brand for the character.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

timn posted:

As much as I dread the surprise "A NEW HAND TOUCHES THE BEACON" with each new game, the original VA's performance is admittedly pretty on brand for the character.

I didn't really know who Meridia was the first time I played Skyrim. Morrowind had taught me only seven or eight princes* and I didn't realize how many more there were. Her VA work is great, and powerfully established the character in my mind. Especially at the end, when you can say "Look lady, I'll take the sword but I'm not the prophet of your new religion" and she responds calmly and warmly, saying that just wielding the sword out in public is enough.

*The Tribunal and the Four Corners of the House of Troubles, plus Hircine, whose deal I wasn't clear on back then.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Is there a single daedric quest in which the prince actually punishes you for backtalking to them at the end? It always feels forced that they let you get away with that instead of smiting you for mortal insolence.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

timn posted:

Is there a single daedric quest in which the prince actually punishes you for backtalking to them at the end? It always feels forced that they let you get away with that instead of smiting you for mortal insolence.

something something CHIM

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Meridia should a grand dame looking fire and brimstone pulpiteer. She's mad as hell about these here zombies and she's not gonna take it anymore.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

timn posted:

I think it's a little bit of ":smug: Heh, whatever Mundus-bitch, you're mine when you die" because you took their artifact and with the Dragonborn/Nerevarine/Champion of Cyrodil have enough Lorkhan in them that they can get away with it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah i imagine daedric princes arent really listening to whatever words are coming out of your mouth as long as youre doing whatever they asked you to do

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

there are a few of them who should definitely strike down anyone who talks back to them, but at the same time Meridia is happy to appoint a vampire as her champion, so in the grand scheme of things

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, for all that TES writing tends to be lame and inflexible in the face of whatever dumpster-fire fate has decided to commit to the world, I kind of like the daedric princes mostly just being sort of aloof and unconcerned with your petty mortal bullshit. Meridia seems to be just about at the edge of their patience simply having to stoop down long enough to give you orders, being bothered by your backsass is actively beneath them.

E: Like, weirdly, it feels like the weaker Daedric princes are the more dangerous ones, because they might actually notice and care about your existence long enough to be offended into smiting you.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 17, 2020

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I always thought it was funny how these games constantly talk about how Peryite is the weakest of the Princes, but he is also in charge of Spellbreaker, an artifact that both in gameplay and lore is Overpowered as hell.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also according to Lore, Meridia is also one the few good* Daedric Princes (aside from maybe Azura too), so she'd probably let a little smacktalk slide compared to, say, Molag Baal or Mehrunes Dagon.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I beeline Peryite on every playthrough, I want that shield before I have to start regularly hacking through shout-spamming draugr deathlords.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

there are a few of them who should definitely strike down anyone who talks back to them, but at the same time Meridia is happy to appoint a vampire as her champion, so in the grand scheme of things

You might think that, but Dawnbreaker's AOE will damage and kill a vampire wielding it, so I imagine she's smirking as she hands it over.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I beeline Peryite on every playthrough, I want that shield before I have to start regularly hacking through shout-spamming draugr deathlords.

It's also surprisingly effective against dragon's breath.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
They didn't use Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn's model? smdh

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Just had a chance to actually check out the page for the mod which started this whole thing, and lo and behold it's one and same with the aussie meridia VA I mentioned. :australia:

Andrea Kaden posted:

A FAHL DAHRKness has seeped into my temple.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I recently played through Gray Cowl of Nocturnal as part of Lexy's Modlist... no disrespect to its creator, but goddamn it was not a pleasant experience. Started out decently, until it spits you out into the desert. Then just goes drastically downhill, and the end was just... I'm not doing that again. If I want the item I'll just console it in and pretend it was all a dream.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Most quest mods are VeryBad. I like Bruma, Moonpath, Vigilant, and trainwiz's stuff. The creation club stuff is also not terrible in terms of production value.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Most quest mods are VeryBad. I like Bruma, Moonpath, Vigilant, and trainwiz's stuff. The creation club stuff is also not terrible in terms of production value.

Helgen Reborn's got a lot of charm to it that outweighs its negatives too, I find.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Speaking of quest mods has anyone tried Konahriks Accoutrements? I was looking for a decent robe set to match Konahrik and ran into this.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 18, 2020

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

nine-gear crow posted:

Helgen Reborn's got a lot of charm to it that outweighs its negatives too, I find.

I thought the voice acting (and compatibility) was pretty poop. But oh well

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Trainwiz is great, that's all for my contribution to this conversation.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Speaking of quest mods has anyone tried Konahriks Accruements? I was looking for a decent robe set to match Konahrik and ran into this.

I have tried it, somewhat, I don't believe I've ever made it all the way through the quest line (due to not getting Konahrik, got sidetracked :shobon:) but the equipment it adds to the dragon priest encounters in the world is pretty awesome. Be sure to get the Improved Closedface Helmets patch and the Apophysis Dragonpriest Mask retextures.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

I've got Konahrik, which means I already killed all of the big Dragon Priests on the mainland but apparently this mod gives you a chance to rematch them if you want the new stuff.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah it's cool, decent dungeon at the end as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
New PC, time for a new 100+ gigs of mods skyrim playthrough. Is there any all-in one compliation of mods guide that has gained popularity over the last 2 years or so? If not, i'll just start going through and looking over some of the old ones.