Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Angie Fenrose posted:

Who are all these people? I'm specifically not doing that but I wanted to know more about this software that can't be switched off and that demands camera and mic access and blocks windows from denying that access.

Does your company have an IT security department? Can you email them and ask what the reasoning is? I know in my company, we have governmental security controls that we have to prove are in place, and that dictates what security agents are installed and how they're configured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

-

Frekkie Melody fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 17, 2020

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Angie Fenrose posted:

No it says that the PC Virus protection is done through McAfee cloud service that updates the computers whenever they're turned on.

And then it links here.

https://www.mcafee.com/en-us/index.html

You guys overestimate our IT infrastructure. The whole company has one IT guy and he has no training. He just likes computers and ended up doing the IT stuff and now he's the IT guy.

We have a head of IT security but she is 58 years old and dislikes computers. She says she only uses them at work when she needs to but never uses them on her spare time. To be fair I think she lets the IT guy handle everything and she just holds the title.

RIP that company when the first ransomeware hits. Make sure you keep your resume updated.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Angie Fenrose posted:

No it says that the PC Virus protection is done through McAfee cloud service that updates the computers whenever they're turned on.

And then it links here.

https://www.mcafee.com/en-us/index.html

You guys overestimate our IT infrastructure. The whole company has one IT guy and he has no training. He just likes computers and ended up doing the IT stuff and now he's the IT guy.

We have a head of IT security but she is 58 years old and dislikes computers. She says she only uses them at work when she needs to but never uses them on her spare time. To be fair I think she lets the IT guy handle everything and she just holds the title.

i swear to god if you're logging in with a local account i might actually lose my marbles.

Like Rexxed said, as far as companies go, one bad ransomware attack or something that would require DR/business continuity, say goodbye to your job (and everyone else's')

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Angie Fenrose posted:

It says on our website that we run McAfee but I can't find a trace of it on the laptop itself.

Congrats. Youre completely unprotected.

(Either way.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah that's even more reason to only use the work laptop for work. You don't want to be the one that lets something slip by and effs the company because they have no real security infrastructure.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

People trust tech implicitly for some reason. Google and Amazon could hand out free spyware tablets and people would vomit their entire personal lives onto them if it meant they got to watch videos and play games.

they do except they're not free lol

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Jesus. In this situation I think I would strongly consider getting a second and separate internet provider for my work tech. Worth the $50/mo or whatever.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Angie Fenrose posted:

We have a head of IT security but she is 58 years old and dislikes computers. She says she only uses them at work when she needs to but never uses them on her spare time.

:psyduck: How does this scenario come to be???

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Any trustworthy ISO-to-USB writer program for Windows 10 that doesn't require admin rights?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Any trustworthy ISO-to-USB writer program for Windows 10 that doesn't require admin rights?

If you need to make it old-style bootable, there's no avoiding it. You need admin rights to make a handful of raw writes to the drive.

If you're booting via UEFI, just copy the files from the ISO to the USB drive. (Which you can access via right click mount on the ISO, or 7zip, or winrar, etc.) Also the drive might need to be formatted as FAT32.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dylan16807 posted:

If you need to make it old-style bootable, there's no avoiding it. You need admin rights to make a handful of raw writes to the drive.

If you're booting via UEFI, just copy the files from the ISO to the USB drive. (Which you can access via right click mount on the ISO, or 7zip, or winrar, etc.) Also the drive might need to be formatted as FAT32.

Well gently caress. Guess I'll need to go back home and rebuild my PC to write the drat thing.

I have no idea what UEFI is :newlol:

E: I'm trying to HACK into my mum's laptop by booting up Kali because no-one knows the loving password.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well gently caress. Guess I'll need to go back home and rebuild my PC to write the drat thing.

I have no idea what UEFI is :newlol:

E: I'm trying to HACK into my mum's laptop by booting up Kali because no-one knows the loving password.

UEFI is the stuff that runs before the operating system. It's the replacement for BIOS.

Depending on brand, motherboards made in the last 8-12 years should have the ability to boot from a flash drive where all you did is copy the files from the ISO onto it. But no guarantees, because hardware companies love to screw things up.

Edit: Though google suggests that Kali might be dumb and not support it. The ISO does have to be set up the right way, but what laziness that is to not do it...

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 10, 2020

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

-

Frekkie Melody fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 17, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Ugh, in that case, do whatever with that laptop. Doesn't sound like IT actually cares enough to secure it properly. Just don't do your personal banking on it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Hipster_Doofus posted:

:psyduck: How does this scenario come to be???

After enough decades of computers and dealing with IT it actually sounds like the most likely outcome.

Angie Fenrose posted:

She's also the head of HR and really good at that.
Nevermind. Its a trainwreck.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I want her security job. gently caress off until retirement.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

GreenNight posted:

I want her security job. gently caress off until retirement.

HR is a notorious route for email based infections. Just wait lol

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FRINGE posted:

HR is a notorious route for email based infections. Just wait lol

Naturally, the head of IT security will be in charge of punishing the head of HR when this happens.

Frekkie Melody
Feb 8, 2020

No ring. Shameful.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Not really Windows-specific, but I'm not sure there's anywhere better to ask...

Anyone have a good place for getting curated selections of wav files to use as notification sounds? Various programs I use let you use set sounds to use for alerts and actions and it'd be nice to have good quality and maybe even themed-alike sounds to use.

Free is best of course. I found soundsnap, but it seems pretty expensive for the utility I'd get.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 12, 2020

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone have a good place for getting curated selections of wav files to use as notification sounds? Various programs I use let you use set sounds to use for alerts and actions and it'd be nice to have good quality and maybe even themed-alike sounds to use.

Free is best of course. I found soundsnap, but it seems pretty expensive for the utility I'd get.

What I'd use would be sounds from games. Nothing better than a Me busy, live me alone notification sound on new email. Sure, they're not "free", but if you have the game you can probably find the tools online to extract the sounds.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

You could download phone notifications sounds from different Android phones - like Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy, Xiaomi Note etc. There are .zip archives available that contain all notification sounds. Might need to convert them to .wav, but that's easily done even in batch using something like foobar2000.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I'm sure you can find a copy of the sounds from Microsoft Plus for Windows 95 somewhere.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lambert posted:

You could download phone notifications sounds from different Android phones - like Google Pixel, Samsung Galaxy, Xiaomi Note etc. There are .zip archives available that contain all notification sounds. Might need to convert them to .wav, but that's easily done even in batch using something like foobar2000.

This is what I did.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/10/26/download-250-ringtones-alarms-and-notifications-from-googles-sounds-app/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thermopyle posted:

For a good decade I used wavs from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Just buy the game, install it, and copy the wav files somewhere permanent. PLEASE DONT GO. THE DRONES NEED YOU. THEY LOOK UP TO YOU.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Just to be clear, there’s no way of using Microsoft Planner with a personal account is there - only Office 365 business?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
They still sell the desktop version separately, but yeah, they want to sell you either planner the webpage or planner the central database service. They have dumb names for them, but that's what they are.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

In Chromium Edge, is there any way to turn off the loving popup I get every 2-3 days asking me to enable ad personalization?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

i vomit kittens posted:

In Chromium Edge, is there any way to turn off the loving popup I get every 2-3 days asking me to enable ad personalization?

There must be, because I don't get that.

Do you have personalization turned off in your windows settings? Could be trying to pull from that.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I guess I should have mentioned that I am using the Dev channel which might mean it's just something that's not rolled out to the stable build yet if that's what you're using. I have all of the data collection stuff turned off in my Windows settings as well, though.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

i vomit kittens posted:

I guess I should have mentioned that I am using the Dev channel which might mean it's just something that's not rolled out to the stable build yet if that's what you're using. I have all of the data collection stuff turned off in my Windows settings as well, though.

Same for me but I haven't seen any popups. Check your settings maybe (could also be that they're A/B testing something and you're not in the control group)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have a Lenovo Tiny formfactor PC at work. It's got a 250gig SSD in it that I want to swap out with a 1 TB SSD. What's the recommended cloning software to clone the existing drive?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

BonoMan posted:

I have a Lenovo Tiny formfactor PC at work. It's got a 250gig SSD in it that I want to swap out with a 1 TB SSD. What's the recommended cloning software to clone the existing drive?

Macrium Reflect

I was recommended it by others here and it worked perfectly

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

hambeet posted:

Macrium Reflect

I was recommended it by others here and it worked perfectly

Perfect thanks!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

935 posted:

Not even sure what to google to figure this out. I got a new cell number few months ago and it obviously belonged to a Ms Cathy Jackson (I didn't use her real name) , since I keep getting spam calls for her.

Last week I got a new personal laptop, and at the setup screen keyed in the information I could remember about the outlook account I had set up years ago. I added my cell when it asked.

Apparently just adding this cell linked my entire windows account to Cathy Jackson. Her onedrive account linked to my new laptop, and I can see her medication list. Skype signed me in as Cathy Jackson. Her credit card was saved in Internet Explorer. I see her face on my profile.

How the gently caress did this happen, how do I fix this, and who can I talk to to make sure this poo poo never happens to anyone else ever again.

Was there ever any follow-up on the bug report for this?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm looking for software that can help me organize a bunch of files. I have hundreds of 3d print models downloaded from various sources, in various formats, some are zipped, some aren't, it's a mess. I want something that lets me organize an arbitrary file type into something searchable, preferably with tags, that can set a bunch of files as a group (say, multiple files that are part of one model), and if it can show windows thumbnails that's even better. Is there anything like that out there?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't have any specific recommendations but "digital asset management" is the type of software you're asking for, so maybe that will give you some google keywords to help out if no one else pipes in with their favorite.

Obviously that's a pretty broad category and you'll run into a lot of enterprise level solutions, but there's smaller projects out there too.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone recommend a good download manager that supports things like queues and bandwidth throttling? Preferably one that supports dragging and dropping URLs into. I tried XDM but can't stand the obnoxiously huge UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Fleedar posted:

Can anyone recommend a good download manager that supports things like queues and bandwidth throttling? Preferably one that supports dragging and dropping URLs into. I tried XDM but can't stand the obnoxiously huge UI.

Same, I’m looking for a good download manager as well.