Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

binge crotching posted:

If you're pagan I don't know why you would ever do anything other than the warrior lodge though.

How do you join the warrior lodge? I tried boosting relations with the leader, to no avail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tias posted:

How do you join the warrior lodge? I tried boosting relations with the leader, to no avail

you should be able to join your own religion's lodge at any time. if you're not of the same religion, other clauses apply like you have to neighbor a ruler of that religion and be a tribal/nomad

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Ok, but like, where do I click to join?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
In the society menu?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Tias posted:

All religions have their own satanist faction. The germanic pagan one is called Cold Ones and they are :black101: as gently caress

Slavic ones call satanists KHOLDUN and KHOLDUNIA (warlock and witch in Russian) and it is hilarious.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Yeah I'm not about playing optimally, necessarily, but the warrior lodge is so good nothing else even compares.

Satanists can be especially useful when you're playing a vassal, which you're usually not doing too long as a pagan. Until you've reformed, there's nothing even coming close to the warrior lodges. After reform, I feel it's useful to dip into the Hermetics a few times for their amazing artifacts, which is why I reform with astrology in like 80% of my pagan games.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Torrannor posted:

Satanists can be especially useful when you're playing a vassal, which you're usually not doing too long as a pagan. Until you've reformed, there's nothing even coming close to the warrior lodges. After reform, I feel it's useful to dip into the Hermetics a few times for their amazing artifacts, which is why I reform with astrology in like 80% of my pagan games.

Why reform norse to astrology when you can reform to bloodthirsty gods and convert the useless prisoners you get from raiding into piety and prestige.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Satanists can be especially useful when you're playing a vassal, which you're usually not doing too long as a pagan.

Out of curiosity, why is being a satanist best when you're a vassal? I haven't been one very often, but I always had the impression that you had to be careful, since your liege finding out could be catastrophic

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

You can give him dick cancer

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Major Isoor posted:

Out of curiosity, why is being a satanist best when you're a vassal? I haven't been one very often, but I always had the impression that you had to be careful, since your liege finding out could be catastrophic

Imprison your liege and turn them into a thrall. You can now declare any war you want against them and immediately demand their surrender. If you make sure to keep your thrall alive through the timers you can completely replace your liege in lands before couping them.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Imprison your liege and turn them into a thrall. You can now declare any war you want against them and immediately demand their surrender. If you make sure to keep your thrall alive through the timers you can completely replace your liege in lands before couping them.

Oh my, I'm definitely going to try THIS! (Maybe not all the time, but early on while I'm at Peak Evil)

winterwerefox posted:

You can give him dick cancer

Also this :getin:

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Rynoto posted:

How do you imprison them? You can't abduct people with a rank higher than Count. I guess you could use Intrigue focus but that's really low odds.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
in the most general/strategic sense, demon worshipper cults want to overturn the status quo, purely destructively. they barely care what the status quo is, only that it changes, and preferably as violently and drastically as possible.

when you are a vassal, that's generally exactly what you want because times of chaos are the times you find opportunity to move up in the world. when you are the ruler, that's exactly the opposite of what you want because you're the status quo.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Counterpoint: Possessing your vassals to make them like you more, healing your diseases, and eating your children for health, all go a long way towards keeping you in power.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The random mutations and backfires from various powers and plots make satanism a gambler’s game and it’d take an awful lot of doing to explain otherwise I think. As an independent ruler you have tons of ways to make sure all of your characters live to 80+ and have good educations and support without having to worry about them growing a hunchback or turning gay at this week’s orgy.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'd cautiously co-sign that. Even just in terms of societies, you're probably better off, as an independent ruler, going with a monastic society or the hermetics, or both. Or again a warrior lodge if you're pagan.

I do think the use case as an independent ruler is probably if you're a Doge simply because kidnapping and sacrificing people is oftentimes much easier and cost effective that rigging an election.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I must just be a bad player since I've never had a character break 80 y.o., and easily amused to boot since I just broke over 1000 hours of game time according to steam.

P.S. Finally finished my seven centuries run. I formed the Holy Roman Empire as Venice, and was emperor when the game ended, but when I converted to EU4 I wasn't made emperor. Instead it went to the huge kingdom of Ruthenia which had been taken over by my dynasts centuries earlier. Oh well, that might've been a fun game if MRs could be emperor.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I must just be a bad player since I've never had a character break 80 y.o., and easily amused to boot since I just broke over 1000 hours of game time according to steam.

Wait, really? Bizarre! Since I've played for 600hrs since release so far, and I've had HEAPS of 80y/o rulers. I mean, old King Thomas the Wise (from back in the early days when 'X the Wise' was an extremely common nickname) even cracked 100! Nobody else ever did after that, but I've definitely had my share of 80y/os.
It can be a bit of a curse though, to be honest - since your next ruler is probably going to be middle-aged, unless you can outlive your kids.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Every once in a while you get it perfect, and move straight from an old, well respected ruler and right into a fresh, 22 year old grandson.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

ShootaBoy posted:

Every once in a while you get it perfect, and move straight from an old, well respected ruler and right into a fresh, 22 year old grandson.

That's my usual games. My son isn't smart enough to go for +health Ways of Life or have a dog or not be murdered, so succession is usually to grandchildren.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

80 y/o is kind of a watermark because you will not get there except occasionally if you are not prioritizing health, but a character WITH a lot of health will get there routinely.

rank 4 universal panacea MO, training hunting dog while diligent, garden wonder, and just the 3 lifestyle focii that give +1 health (theology, hunting, and family) are all ways to get health at least somewhat reliably. an 'average' character has 4 health, so even just two of the above is huge. a 7 health character will almost always hit 80 unless they are extremely unlucky, though after 7 you start getting serious diminishing returns.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I don't think I've had a character break 100 (somewhere between 600-700 hours, I think), though I'm pretty sure one of my queens reached her mid-90s. She outlived her daughter and granddaughter and when she died her great-granddaughter took over, I know that.

That was my Kingdom of Sicily vassal run, thinking about it, she was a duchess rather than a queen, and one of the few games I reached the end date in. I distinctly remember suddenly inheriting Denmark literally two years from the end of the game due to some marriage weirdness and not being sure what to do with it since that wasn't part of my plans. This was around the time Old Gods was released, if I remember right.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

yeah i think i’ve had one character get to 100 naturally, it’s insanely rare. 70-80 is the norm and usually i’d rather them die at that point than keep ticking for another generation, while all my good heirs die out

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Excellent! In that case, I think I'll try to take over the Byzantine Empire from within, then reform the Roman Empire...then I'll endeavour to convert my new empire to Hellenism, to drive the populace even further from their God

That’s badass.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I literally cannot imagine how you can have fun playing this game if you are performing the calculation of whether or not satanism is optimal or not

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I also play the game extremely slowly which seems to give the game more opportunities to think up ways to kill me. I never go over 3 speed unless I’m waiting for boats to make a long journey, and I pause constantly. In fact I would guess a quarter of my thousand hours is spent looking at Wikipedia with the game running as I go through title holder histories and read about them.

But yeah I’m happy to see a ruler make it to 75. I can probably count on one hand the number of rulers I’ve had die between 76-79. But never over 80. And most die in their 60s. It’s fun to see how long I can have an obese guy live, one of my obese doges from my seven centuries run made it to 56 despite (or probably because of) having a pretty active lifestyle.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

I literally cannot imagine how you can have fun playing this game if you are performing the calculation of whether or not satanism is optimal or not

It’s a grand strategy game you dingbat don’t get weird over people doing a strategy

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

Right, because I turn that monkey cheese poo poo off.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

quote:

Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury - the calculation of whether or not satanism is optimal

Time for the next thread title

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

:hai:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

:hmmyes:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

:same:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bunch of people hatin' fun itt

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

we have evolved beyond concepts like fun

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
A question about merchant republics

Playing as Venice, leader is currently in his 70s.

Decades ago I named my son heir and married him to some random French courtier - he’s quick and ambitious, she’s a shrewd genius, both have intrigue scores above 20. He’ll make a great doge some day.

Then I mostly forgot about him. He moved to France and apparently he and his wife were very busy assassinating people because she is now the queen of France and my son holds the title king (and heir to Venice), though the lands and title are hers. They have one son who looks to be every bit as conniving as them, heir to the kingdom

My question is, is there any way to massage this to merge the two kingdoms or pull off a piece of France? Having landed titles and being the designated heir seem to be incompatible, but is there any kind of situation I can engineer before my current old ruler kicks the bucket?

Unfortunately the Lombards and byzantines have me totally boxed in on my island paradise at the moment. This seems like an opportunity to get a foothold somewhere else but I don’t know how.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
mostly no, there is a hard line between republic and feudal governments. unless i'm missing some crazy tricks, the only real advantage you have here is that if you can pry that dynast son off the realm and back into your republic, you could press his claims in a war. but republics are mostly left outside of marriage/inheritance shenanigans because of the hardcoded behavior of the republic elective laws. you're better off just hulking out and crushing france beneath the hundred thousand boots of your retinue

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New CK3 dev diary on diplomacy lifestyle
https://www.crusaderkings.com/news/dev-diary-14-the-diplomacy-lifestyle

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I haven't played this game in like a year or two but started seeing the "ruler challenges" updates on steam. Looks like it's a thing to unlock cosmetics in CK3? Have their been strategy writeups for any of them? I tried the Welsh one but forgot how to turn a tributary into a vassal and he got gobbled up by England.

I tried replaying it and got stupid lucky in the crusade for Egypt, taking home 4k gold and 3k prestige and then a year after getting home and spending it all on upgrades coming down with syphilis which rendered me incapable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

There are plenty of videos on those challenges. I haven't found any writeups when I looked for them.