Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Burt Sexual posted:

Yeah concern level raised, but I think I’ll be fine. If not, y’all lose a bad mod. Works out

good luck have fun don’t die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

If you're lucky you'll get an extra two weeks on the ship, a free future trip and 2 weeks accommodations in your home country!

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Can someone who knows more about this stuff explain to me why it isn't plausible that the virus did escape from a lab due to poor biosafety controls?

I mean, the virus emerged next to a couple of labs that as far as I'm aware do research on coronavirus strains.

China also has got past form in letting coronaviruses escape from labs.

It's obviously not lab-engineered, but it could just as easily have escaped from a lab accidentally and not just appeared naturally in the middle of a modern city - as opposed to other places in the world where people do in fact routinely eat bats etc.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Rabelais D posted:

Can someone who knows more about this stuff explain to me why it isn't plausible that the virus did escape from a lab due to poor biosafety controls?
I think it could have escaped from a lab although there isn't strong evidence for that yet. The implausible theory is that it was meant to be a bioweapon. "Our primary competitors are the US and the EU. Therefore we will engineer a virus that only kills East Asian people."

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I think it could have escaped from a lab although there isn't strong evidence for that yet. The implausible theory is that it was meant to be a bioweapon. "Our primary competitors are the US and the EU. Therefore we will engineer a virus that only kills East Asian people."

I doubt there's any serious bioweapon research going on anywhere these days, but all the major nations do have bio divisions studying the common ones to try and figure out how to counter them. It could easily have come out of one of them via a gently caress up. Chances are higher it's just a random mutation leaping to humans from animals though.

e: I mean not to mention it's a really really loving piss poor pandemic for a manufactured one. The USSR legitimately had poo poo that could have killed a large % of the people on the planet if it got out. This is like completely meaningless in comparison.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 18, 2020

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
If it did get out of a lab we'll never see any evidence, as I'm sure it's long been scrubbed away. From what I can see there are lots of question marks concerning the start of the outbreak and it seems China isn't letting WHO epidemiologists into wuhan to investigate?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rabelais D posted:

I mean, the virus emerged next to a couple of labs that as far as I'm aware do research on coronavirus strains.

It's obviously not lab-engineered, but it could just as easily have escaped from a lab accidentally and not just appeared naturally in the middle of a modern city - as opposed to other places in the world where people do in fact routinely eat bats etc.

Gentle reminder that the US Ebola research laboratory is situated on the most hurricane prone island on the continental US

#ebolahurricane

#hurricaneEbola

Not sure which is more catchy

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I like it reading like we named the hurricane that, instead of Emily or Emilio

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Rabelais D posted:

The conspiracy theory that this was a bioengineered disease released from a research lab miles outside Wuhan is clearly bonkers. But I think a lot of people are conflating that with what seems like a much more plausible scenario.

The Wuhan CDC is located literally within a couple hundred meters of the seafood market that was at the epicenter of the initial outbreak. Not only were they specifically doing research there on bat coronaviruses, they had at least one incident where an improperly equipped researcher got sprayed with bat urine and had to self-quarantine for 14 days - both of these were reported in Chinese state media before the outbreak.

It's not impossible to imagine that either something escaped from the Wuhan CDC lab via poor hygiene control, or (unknowingly?) infected research animals were improperly disposed of, leading to cross-contamination with whatever was being sold at the market, maybe pangolins. I mean, this a country that had MULTIPLE incidents of SARS escaping from research labs and infecting people after the main epidemic. And a fair number of cases in the initial outbreak had no obvious connection to the market.

But if this is the case, we'll never hear about it. The people of China are already pissed about the government's incompetence in covering up and downplaying the outbreak in the early stages. There's no way the government would risk the enormous backlash if it came out that not only had the government mismanaged the start of the outbreak, they themselves were responsible for it.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
Right, thank you. I just find the geography interesting. Compared with other parts of China or indeed the world I don't think metropolitan wuhan has a massive market for bats or pangolins, but it does have virus research labs.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rabelais D posted:

Why it's not particularly plausible: it's unlikely that in a lab setting a virus that doesn't infect humans will jump species, no matter how lovely their controls are.

Let's just say that some lab somewhere is investigating the natural diseases of bats and pangolins. They've collected a bunch of bat/pangolin viruses from the wild. But now they are going to be replicating those virus strains using laboratory methods, which means the viruses are basically static evolution-wise. They don't want the viruses to mutate, they want to study them as they are. And they are going to study a specific strain at a time. If no human has ever caught this disease before it's probably not going to happen there.

Lastly, a biolab studying coronaviruses in china is not some crazy thing. China had SARS, lots of their virologists probably have an interest in that family of viruses. If a nasty flu outbreak started in boston nobody would think it was suspicious that harvard med was doing orthomyxovirus research.

Now, let's contrast that environment with the wet market. There's the pangolin guy, he's selling pangolins to use for boner pills and getting new pangolins fresh from wherever wild pangolins come from. Some of those pangolins are sick with the pangolin-wheeze or whatever, and his cages make re-infection constant.

He's around his pangolins every day. Maybe one day a year ago he got kinda sick, but it wasn't not Covid-19 yet, just a minor chest cold. He sneezed on a fresh pangolin and infects it with something that's halfway between pangolin-wheeze and Covid-19, and now it circulates through his pangolins and gets more opportunities to expose itself to humans with every mutation.

This is an ideal environment for the pangolin-wheeze to mutate and cross the barrier into humans. It's the same thing as why we now share one flu with chickens and another flu with pigs. A living animal is a vastly better incubator than a petri dish.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A+ explanation, thank you

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I want to sneeze on a fresh pangolin now

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I wish I could find it now, but the story of how HIV became HIV and made the jump from primates to humans is a real interesting journey involving several 1 in a trillion events that managed to take place because people kept giving the virus a million chances to land those odds. As the poster above said, we primarily see these kinds of species jumps when we jam a bunch of the animals together so that they can keep re-infecting each other with a constant strain of the pathogen, while allowing the pathogen to jump to humans and back to the animals over and over again until the right series of mutations occur that allow one lucky virus to finally be able to live entirely in humans.

Incidentally, this is why people from the old world were resistant to so many diseases that obliterated Native Americans when they made contact. Peoples in the Old World had all kinds of domesticated animals that they were packing together right alongside humans and thus were constantly being exposed to (and killed by) emerging pathogens. Meanwhile in the New World they didn't domesticate animals in any way close to the scale of Old World societies and thus there were less diseases to pass to the Europeans when they made contact and no resistance to the diseases that the Europeans brought with them.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

No one loving cares dude

I do as well. wtf

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I do as well. wtf

loving word nerds. Pangolin tits are that way, please suck on them until you get a fever.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I do as well. wtf

pnumoman posted:

loving word nerds. Pangolin tits are that way, please suck on them until you get a fever.

BATTLE OF THE LURKERS ^^^^^
On page 123

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Building/using germ warfare seems kinda like setting fire to your neighbor's apartment.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://mobile.twitter.com/arambaut/status/1229368840473235462

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The lab theory is moot point, you can either blame china for ...

..negligence banning consummation of wild animals.
..negligence handling very viral agents.

It don't change that we blame china for negligence.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/taydolven/status/1229747209270415362

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Tei posted:

For us, yes it is a moot point. The effect it would have to Chinese citizens' view and stance towards the Chinese government could potentially be huge if it was proven to have originated in a government lab. We have already seen more Chinese citizens criticize the government over their handling of the outbreak in general and the whistleblower doctor specifically than we typically see when the party fucks something up.

The continued quarantine measures and the impending economic recession or outright collapse combined with the news it escaped from a lab could generate some real and sustained anit-party feelings and protests.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah, because that Cambodian dictator PM of 22 years and running Mr Hun Sen took it upon himself to unlock the Westerdam personally and unleash the virus to the developed global north.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tei posted:

lab grown super virus is more exciting

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah, because that Cambodian dictator PM of 22 years and running Mr Hun Sen took it upon himself to personally hug every potentially carrier, lol

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

unpacked robinhood posted:

I want to sneeze on a fresh pangolin now

All over the tits.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I remember reading a New York Times article about that infected Cambodia ship written when it was still stuck at sea. It basically ended with a couple gloating about how there was no disease and how much fun they were having and that the biggest problem was that the ship ran out of ketchup. loving insane to be seeing these cases stream out now.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Egg on their face.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
^No good deed goes unpunished.

Also:

quote:

Liu Zhiming, hospital director in Wuhan, confirmed dead from coronavirus

E: he was 51

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah, because that Cambodian dictator PM of 22 years and running Mr Hun Sen took it upon himself to unlock the Westerdam personally and unleash the virus to the developed global north.

Remember, kids, blame Cambodia. Only Cambodia. Holland America had nothing to do with this, and certainly never dumped their passengers in a corrupt developing country with minimal healthcare. Holland America never gave blatantly false statements about the health of their passengers in a port that didn't have the infrastructure to do much checking themselves. When this all goes to hell you should blame Cambodia, Cambodians, and ignore the morally upright business that made the best choice they could.

Hun Sen is one of the worst people on the planet. He's pillaging his own country in every way he can just to scrape up tiny kickbacks, and there's no doubt he'd be willing to set off a plague for the right bribe. Cambodian business/government culture leans on face and "you can never tell the boss he's wrong" in a way that makes China look free and easy, and leads to all kinds of atrocious decisions. But despite all that, the real villain here is still the for-profit company that decided to dump a bunch of sick people into one of the poorest countries on the planet.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
* methodically licks a crowd of prime potential infected *

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
As new cases keep popping up around the world, it's clear that what is happening in China will be of secondary importance to what will happen globally.

Just to pick one of today's new cases, another taxi driver in Japan (thanks Google Translate):

quote:

Kanagawa Prefecture and Yokohama City announced on February 18 that a 60-year-old male taxi driver living in Yokohama has been infected with the new coronavirus. In prefectures and cities, we are examining the history of the infection, as it is in a state where we cannot talk with severe pneumonia.

According to Kanagawa Prefecture and Yokohama City, the newly confirmed infection was a male taxi driver in his 60s who lives in Yokohama City.

The driver had a fever on the 3rd of this month and consulted a medical institution on the 5th, but was diagnosed with a cold.

After that, she did not improve her symptoms, so she was examined at another medical institution on the 10th, and she was hospitalized on the 13th, but was transferred to another medical institution because of severe symptoms.

He was examined on the 17th and confirmed on the 18th to be infected with the new coronavirus.

Currently, he is unable to talk with severe pneumonia.

According to Yokohama City, the doctor who diagnosed is saying, "I have taken a Chinese taxi."

In addition, with respect to the relationship with a personal taxi driver whose infection was confirmed in Tokyo outside the workplace, the city of Yokohama is "confirming".

In Kanagawa Prefecture and Yokohama City, we are investigating the history of the infection, including the identification of close contacts, and we are also investigating the driver's work until the symptoms appear.

So this poor fellow has had a fever for 15 days already - who knows when he first became infected. Or, needless to say, who he may have infected over the past weeks. And he's so sick he can't even talk to say where he's been.

It's not going to be about tracing contacts anymore, but just trying to manage the huge pressure that the health system is about to be put under.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I've been reading that for a few weeks now and things still aren't blowing up.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
True! Which is good, but I still don't see how this can be avoided now.

I would say the difference now is that for a lot of newly infected people there is no clear link to Wuhan or to some other infected person. They just got sick somehow. That alone means there are many other people spreading the virus undetected.

My uninformed guess is that as 80%+ of cases are mild there are a lot of people who have it and either have no idea, or have decided that it's safer for them personally to just deal with it and not get quarantined in a hospital for weeks on end when they're not really feeling that bad.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 18, 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Diamond princess is officially a country on the Johns Hopkins map

I expressed some deep concern about the way the virus was spreading on that boat and it turns out that's what ended up triggering the evacuation of the Americans. Something about their method of quarantine was deeply flawed, as proven by the way the new cases have just stacked and stacked. I don't blame the US government for breaking quarantine to evacuate people, given that the conditions there were terrible and somehow the virus was transmitting easily. I suppose they'll still have to figure out how that happened, I'm tempted to speculate but I won't, but what is clear is it was not working.

They actually set up a mini containment lab on a plane where the infected people were kept totally separated by plastic barriers from the uninfected

Mozi posted:

So this poor fellow has had a fever for 15 days already - who knows when he first became infected. Or, needless to say, who he may have infected over the past weeks. And he's so sick he can't even talk to say where he's been.

It's not going to be about tracing contacts anymore, but just trying to manage the huge pressure that the health system is about to be put under.

It could also be that he hasn't infected that many, or any, people depending on his behavior during that time. But the way he's a, uh, taxi driver, the way he was shuttled between hospitals (what if staff in those various hospitals pick it up and transmit to patients?), and the way he was sick for quite a while before actually being diagnosed with coronavirus are definitely concerning elements. It seems bad for sure but depends heavily on the way he acted during that time, whether he lives alone, etc.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

just another posted:

It's already blown up in Japan. 100+ cases outside of the cruise. You just need to wait the 2 weeks for the 4 horsemen to show up.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Play posted:

It could also be that he hasn't infected that many, or any, people depending on his behavior during that time. But the way he's a, uh, taxi driver, the way he was shuttled between hospitals (what if staff in those various hospitals pick it up and transmit to patients?), and the way he was sick for quite a while before actually being diagnosed with coronavirus are definitely concerning elements. It seems bad for sure but depends heavily on the way he acted during that time, whether he lives alone, etc.

Yeah - hopefully once he first got the fever he wasn't actually out working anymore, given how terrible the severe cases have felt that wouldn't be too surprising. But he was definitely in contact with some people in that time.

My comment was more that this is one of a growing number of similar cases, which combined portend bad things.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003
Great job, rear end in a top hat!

https://komonews.com/news/local/man-stranded-on-coronavirus-infected-cruise-ship-arrives-at-sea-tac-airport

quote:

SEA-TAC AIRPORT, Wash. -- An Oregon comedian who had been stranded on a Holland America cruise ship in Cambodia due to COVID-19 virus concerns managed to get a flight back home by breaking quarantine in a hotel where ship's passengers were being held pending test results.

Frank King arrived at Sea-Tac Airport Monday afternoon on his way home to Eugene. He was a performer on the M/S Westerdam when their two-week cruise turned into quite the saga after a former passenger tested positive for the virus.

The ship left Hong Kong on Feb. 1 and was supposed to visit Shanghai but couldn’t because coronavirus gripped China. The ship was then denied entry in Japan, Taiwan, the Philippines, Guam and Thailand before finally being allowed to dock in Cambodia.

An 83-year-old woman who disembarked the ship tested positive for coronavirus in Malaysia, bringing the whole disembarking process to a halt. Some passengers had been put up in a five-star hotel in Phnom Penh awaiting travel home when the news of the positive test hit, meaning those on board and those at the hotel would have to all be tested and await results before being allowed to leave.

But King, who says he had an important speaking engagement back in the U.S. decided he couldn't wait.

"There was no official 'you can't leave' (at the hotel) but if you tried to go out the front door with your luggage, security would stop you," King said. "But if you went out with your backpack and you were sightseeing, not a problem."

He said they were all tested for the virus on Sunday.

"How long is it going to take to get all those results back? Because I've got an engagement on the 20th of February," he told KOMO News, adding he speaks on suicide prevention and wouldn't get paid if he didn't make it.

"So I thought, you know, I'm outta here," he said.

King said he first walked around the entire hotel scoping out security and noted lesser security was along the back gate.

"So out I go the back gate with my luggage," he said.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
The hospital director in Wuhan has died from SAR2z. He was 51: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/coronavirus-china-live-updates/2020/02/18/7cfae85e-4f6f-11ea-bf44-f5043eb3918a_story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

just another posted:

To put things in perspective in the US we're at the point where China wasn't even aware of the problem and Japan is maybe at the point where doctors were aware but the gov't was still ignoring it. If things have broken out in Japan that means we either need to close all travel to Japan as well or accept that the quarantine has failed