Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Sea Lily posted:

people started some really malicious rumors about SCORE back when they were angry about the code not being public but this stuff was blatantly untrue

I'd never know for sure, but it was a pretty persistent accusation. :shrug:

Among all the other gatekeeping egotrip and gaslighting campaign that was going on for a full 5 years, the more damning part is that it seems perfectly plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wdtfml4xt1ephc/Goonbox-modified.rar?dl=0&file_subpath=%2Fdata

This is the version someone provided last year. Anything in the sounds that's marked "old", just delete the non-old version and then edit the file name to get rid of _Old to restore Shovar's kid's and honeycombs and a couple other things.

Saturn

So basically, goonbox started as a sound replacement for the /boombox command to put actual songs in there, like bananaphone, ra ra rasputine, intergalactic, bunch of other cool/silly/weird songs. Then we went ham, replacing texture files so that billboards displayed some photoshop friday memes, and just spicing up background images as well as other sounds.

The most infamous, is RamenPride's kids yelling at you in any mission that has a glowie in it. Instead of a quiet hum that you can hardly hear right next to the objective, you hear the space robots from like a room away and it's directional, so it really does guide you in.

To install it, just unzip it into your coh/data folder

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i cant believe this name was available

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I know what you mean. I was always flabbergasted that Captain Amazing was available for a villain name.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I know what you mean. I was always flabbergasted that Captain Amazing was available for a villain name.

Quick, best Hero archetype for Casanova Frankenstein?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Platonicsolid posted:

Quick, best Hero archetype for Casanova Frankenstein?

Thugs mastermind.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Homecoming I think has been exceptionally nice for the most part. I've never had the urge to report anyone or anything quite like that in the whole time I've been playing on it. Thunderspy/CoXG or whatever it calls itself believes in "free speech" and will have people posting slurs because it's a server full of edgy 4chan bigots. So I can't say I'd recommend that.

Thunderspy's Discord refers to Homecoming as "homocumming" and there were other homophobic slurs all over. They're either 4chan or someone equally horrible.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Bieeanshee posted:

Thugs mastermind.

/bind emote "Disco is not dead. Disco is LIFE!"

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Can't we just get a new 'Modern' Goonbox where all the billboards are replaced with pictures of ponies and rainbows.
Also all the songs must be Justin Bieber and Billie Eyelash songs.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

OgNar posted:

Can't we just get a new 'Modern' Goonbox where all the billboards are replaced with pictures of ponies and rainbows.
Also all the songs must be Justin Bieber and Billie Eyelash songs.

Working on it! ;)

*I could use a list of what you guys consider to be THE most annoying sound files so they don't get used or remixed.

Ramen Pride! fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 18, 2020

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I love the entirety of City of Goons.

It is a great time capsule.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Ramen Pride! posted:

Working on it! ;)

*I could use a list of what you guys consider to be THE most annoying sound files so they don't get used or remixed.

Replace the glowy sounds with your, now 50 year old, children saying "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

On the Homecoming servers do they have anything ramped up? Like double XP or infinite inf or anything wacky I should know about?

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Comfortador posted:

Replace the glowy sounds with your, now 50 year old, children saying "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

On the Homecoming servers do they have anything ramped up? Like double XP or infinite inf or anything wacky I should know about?
There's the Pay2Win vendor in Atlas who offers a bunch of neat things, like the Veteran reward powers and the extremely useful 'XP booster' that lets you trade Inf drops for XP.

They also made it a whole lot easier to get the Incarnate bits by gaining 'levels' past 50. Earn enough XP to get to what 51 would be, and get 120 Threads, etc.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Homecoming patch notes indicate, among other things, a fix for the Interface slot so that DoT procs should be worth taking now. Hooray!

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?
I read that Energy melee is busted / not good. My favorite character to gently caress around on was my Energy/Ninjitsu stalker. Is this no longer good?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Ramen Pride! posted:

Working on it! ;)

All of the weapon sheath/unsheath sounds. Hassan Chop gets deleted right away.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

God now I want an MA sound effects pack that's all MST3K clips.

"Hei-KEEEBAH!"

"Judo Chop!"

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Comfortador posted:

I read that Energy melee is busted / not good. My favorite character to gently caress around on was my Energy/Ninjitsu stalker. Is this no longer good?

Depends on when you last played them and what your expectations are. Energy Melee got nerfed a few years after CoV's launch, but even then it only nerfed the heavy single target potential (since it wasn't great with AOE to begin with.) These days, power creep means it's readily outclassed in pretty much every department by something else. So, there's fair warning that it's probably one of the worst sets, doubly so on a Stalker since it loses its only AOE attack in favor of yet more single target. But even the worst sets I think are still plenty playable for the majority of the game's content. I mained a MA/SR Scrapper for years and that's not particularly great either, but it was still fun.

For some improvements, if you're dead set on Energy, I'd maybe recommend /Shield on a Stalker instead to give yourself an AOE attack. You could pick up Spring Attack from Leaping, Cross Punch from Fighting, and one of the ancillary pools' AOE attacks and have a bit more help with AOE. /Ninjitsu is pretty good for a Stalker, so if you were more set on that, I'd recommend Electric Melee, or maybe Staff, Street Justice, Radiation, or Savage as strong primaries.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

you owe it to yourself to try kinetic melee. I think it's not optimal due to long animation times, but it looks loving baller and makes cool noises

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I'd recommend Electric Melee, or maybe Staff, Street Justice, Radiation, or Savage as strong primaries.

LordSaturn posted:

you owe it to yourself to try kinetic melee. I think it's not optimal due to long animation times, but it looks loving baller and makes cool noises

This was back during first release of CoV. He just seemed so drat powerful single target. I used him for PVP a bunch too. I could assassin strike to take one out, total focus another, then placate and assassin strike another. I love Ninjitsu as a secondary. Maybe I'll try Electric because I like the "power" as opposed to weapon concept of my stalker, but I'll take a look at the others, thanks

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LordSaturn posted:

Kinetic Melee looks like it was designed using only low-budget 70's chopsocky movies as a reference.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
stolen from my discord where my friends post in the spergy coh discords

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
O_O

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

energy assault on doms is really good since they introduced the rework to it in august last year. most of the dom assault sets are way better than they used to be period, though. just don't use bone crusher with energy focus up because it doesn't do extra damage, it does a Weaken effect.

also stalkers got a really nice rework before the game shut down and with the introduction of ATOs you basically don't need a dead power (placate) taking up space any more. stalkers are in the best shape they've ever been in.

i think the on going proc research has brought up the value of energy melee, but that's more of its ability to slot procs than the actual powers having a good baseline.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 19, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

One of these days I'm gonna get a Street Justice or Titan Weapon character going.

I just can't find a secondary that really clicks with me and keep defaulting to Willpower.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Titan Weapon/Earth Armor has been my favorite so far. Giant rock golem bristling with crystals swinging a huge hunk of concrete.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Granite armor with martial arts animations has some charisma

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Tsurupettan posted:

also stalkers got a really nice rework before the game shut down and with the introduction of ATOs you basically don't need a dead power (placate) taking up space any more. stalkers are in the best shape they've ever been in.

What do you mean dead power? I loved using placate, it gives me an extra Assassin strike unless later on something changed that made that not as good.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Comfortador posted:

What do you mean dead power? I loved using placate, it gives me an extra Assassin strike unless later on something changed that made that not as good.

Assassin combos. When you're out of hide Assassin's Strike is a quickfire attack, and if you land three attacks beforehand it's guaranteed to crit. Not TURBO DEATH KILL crit, just regular kind.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Comfortador posted:

using slightly more words:

for one thing, there's a new endgame enhancement set that Stalkers get that gives you a free placate in certain circumstances, which are pretty easy to replicate in an endgame money-no-object kind of enhancement build. personally I'm nowhere near doing this but it's a possibility

on the other hand, the Stalker class power now includes a stacking buff, which procs off every attack that hits, and gives 1/3 chance for your next assassin attack to be a crit. since your assassin attack can be used with no windup when you're not stealthed, fights become a sort of minigame of "get three hits on something, turn around and assassinate a minion, keep fighting until assassin buffs start building up again"

it's loads of fun. scrappers still do more raw damage but stalkers are enormously brutal against high HP single targets

vvv EDIT: oh yeah stalkers can also get regular old crits 10% of the time, +3% for each person on the team. the assassin's strike buff actually boosts your crit chance by 33.3% per stack

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 19, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also on top of all that, Stalkers get bonus crit chance that scales with the number of people on the team.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Nonexistence posted:

Granite armor with martial arts animations has some charisma

Now I really wanna see a granite tank doing the Staff breakdance move.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

LordSaturn posted:

it's loads of fun. scrappers still do more raw damage but stalkers are enormously brutal against high HP single targets

in a non-titan weapons comparison (as that set is a massive outlier), they're so close to each other it doesn't matter numerically, play what you like.

the important difference is that stalker versions sets can give significant gameplay differences and improvements (or losses) in different parts of the traditional kit depending on where AS is placed. savage melee is considered 'ok' on everyone else but is ridiculously good on stalker.

also idk about that 'money is no object' thing, you can buy the ATO for like 20-25 mil and slot it in and stop using placate, that's it. obviously it gets better with global recharge since you don't want to slot much recharge into AS (around 40-45% max?) if you can help it. but you don't need multi-billion inf builds to take advantage of it, you just need a single IO.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

LordSaturn posted:

using slightly more words:

for one thing, there's a new endgame enhancement set that Stalkers get that gives you a free placate in certain circumstances, which are pretty easy to replicate in an endgame money-no-object kind of enhancement build. personally I'm nowhere near doing this but it's a possibility

on the other hand, the Stalker class power now includes a stacking buff, which procs off every attack that hits, and gives 1/3 chance for your next assassin attack to be a crit. since your assassin attack can be used with no windup when you're not stealthed, fights become a sort of minigame of "get three hits on something, turn around and assassinate a minion, keep fighting until assassin buffs start building up again"

vvv EDIT: oh yeah stalkers can also get regular old crits 10% of the time, +3% for each person on the team. the assassin's strike buff actually boosts your crit chance by 33.3% per stack

Ahhh yeah I'd probably still take it (until I learned the new stuff) just because I have patterns I established with my former character. I didn't play my stalker in the end times right before the game shut down, I focused more on the Hero side of things.

Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone educating me through my recent revitalization spam messaging. :)

10 Times 10
Nov 12, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

Early aughts "no girls on the internet" poo poo.

Okay, so how exactly did you get that L shaped toolbar? :aaaaa:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

10 Times 10 posted:

Okay, so how exactly did you get that L shaped toolbar? :aaaaa:

You just drag them against another docked toolbar and they do that IIRC

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
You also need to right click on it and tell it to be vertical.
It chooses which side the vertical part is by the center of your screen.

10 Times 10
Nov 12, 2008

OgNar posted:

You also need to right click on it and tell it to be vertical.
It chooses which side the vertical part is by the center of your screen.

Angrymog posted:

You just drag them against another docked toolbar and they do that IIRC

Ah! Thank you! That's awesome! Adjusting all my toolbars now!

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Kinetic Melee looks like it was designed using only low-budget 70's chopsocky movies as a reference.

yeah it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Comfortador posted:

buddy i got some good/bad news

placate is worthless, assassin strike is never used in stealth, and stalker has never been more powerful