Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

The very least mappers ought to do, when making 360° maps, is to make sure you don't get tangled up, i.e. balance the turns. I can't be assed to do cable management during play, nor do I want to hang it from the ceiling.

The whole idea with 360 was you don't have a wire, or have management for it. Its literally in the disclaimer about it when you play them.

TBH I disagree. As much as 360 isnt my thing, Thats what 90 is for. You cable havers. Its no different than the spin setups in non 360 maps. Gotta manage that cable or get rid of it.

Sorry not sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

EbolaIvory posted:

And just practice in general. Wrist use is HUGE though.

Everyone always says that, but is there really no-one else who swing the sabers with fingers? I hold the Vive controller like in the "X-Grip", i.e. with the index finger through the loop, but for obvious reasons don't tie my hand with the strap. That way I can swing the controller like a drumstick, my wrists hardly move when swinging. I this even possible with other controllers, I'm kinda hesitant to move on to Index for this reason. If I had to use my wrists to swing I don't think they could take that kind of strain.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Rolling Scissors posted:

Everyone always says that, but is there really no-one else who swing the sabers with fingers? I hold the Vive controller like in the "X-Grip", i.e. with the index finger through the loop, but for obvious reasons don't tie my hand with the strap. That way I can swing the controller like a drumstick, my wrists hardly move when swinging. I this even possible with other controllers, I'm kinda hesitant to move on to Index for this reason. If I had to use my wrists to swing I don't think they could take that kind of strain.

No idea how you're clearing top end/dumb hard maps then. It was physically impossible for me to do some of the jumps until I started actually using my wrist. Some jumps are so wide and so fast you pretty much have to use your wrist.

If you're going straight elbow you're going to thrash your poo poo, be careful. I still catch myself using far too much elbow for some things when I panic.

Yeah. Wrists are a big deal.

Index controllers, I don't even hold them slightly correct. I actually use my vive wands again for beat saber. Even if the tracking is butthole sometimes.

I still waggle around like drum sticks sometimes too. But for actual hard play, naw.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 17, 2019

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

EbolaIvory posted:

No idea how you're clearing top end/dumb hard maps then. It was physically impossible for me to do some of the jumps until I started actually using my wrist. Some jumps are so wide and so fast you pretty much have to use your wrist.

If you're going straight elbow you're going to thrash your poo poo, be careful. I still catch myself using far too much elbow for some things when I panic.

Yeah. Wrists are a big deal.

I still waggle around like drum sticks sometimes too. But for actual hard play, naw.

If by top end/dumb hard you mean those 2000+ note "anime" maps you need to clear to reach above rank #5000...I can't clear those. I just play the maps that SyncSaber (or whatever its called now) curator members playlist throws at me automatically, so nothing too extreme there. I'm just at 3000pp so not that good.

What I meant was, do the top end players really grip their controllers tight and only use their wrists to clear out those Camellia et al maps? Of course I use my wrist a bit. It's just not the main component on how the swing happens, its from the fingers and and from there if I need extra the wrist rotates more to help. On my end I found that it was physically impossible to be fast enough if I just used my wrist. So that's why I was wondering. Would be interesting to see streamers which clear out the crazy hard maps how their hands actually move during the swing with proper slow-mo footage etc.

Rolling Scissors fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 17, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Rolling Scissors posted:

If by top end/dumb hard you mean those 2000+ note "anime" maps you need to clear to reach above rank #5000...I can't clear those. I just play the maps that SyncSaber (or whatever its called now) curator members throws at me automatically, so nothing too extreme there. I'm just at 3000pp so not that good.

What I meant was, do the top end players really grip their controllers tight and only use their wrists to clear out those Camellia et al maps? Of course I use my wrist a bit. It's just not the main component on how the swing happens, its from the fingers and and from there if I need extra the wrist rotates more to help. On my end I found that it was physically impossible to be fast enough if I just used my wrist. So that's why I was wondering. Would be interesting to see streamers which clear out the crazy hard maps how their hands actually move during the swing etc.

Yeah lots of wrist for those maps. That’s what I’m talking about. I used to play more arms and now I’m moving more and more wrist. Faster the maps the more wrist I’m using tbh. And as you develop you slowly end up playing things that used to be stupid hard all super relaxed. Crazy how we grow as players.

There’s a few of us doing mixed reality playing dumb hard poo poo. QTpop on twitch. 👍🏻

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Seems like since the 360 update, a few songs don't work for me now because it thinks they are 360 songs but they aren't (these are old AFAICT). So it goes into 360 mode and starts jumping between random lanes for no reason. Just makes them unplayable

One that did this was New Dawn- prototyperaptor IIRC

Pity :(

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I'm annoyed that SaberTalior hasn't updated to the latest version. I need it to make the index controllers comfortable to play with.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

BadMedic posted:

I'm annoyed that SaberTalior hasn't updated to the latest version. I need it to make the index controllers comfortable to play with.

I manage okay by leaving the straps loose and holding it low below the trigger.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BadMedic posted:

Isn't angle built in now? Or can you not get the angle extreme enough?

First of May posted:

I manage okay by leaving the straps loose and holding it low below the trigger.

Similar. I rest them on my pinky on the strap thing on the bottom of the controller and just sort of axe swing.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 13, 2020

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug

EbolaIvory posted:

Isn't angle built in now? Or can you not get the angle extreme enough?

Oh is it? I didn't look through the options closely enough then. And no, I only change the angle 15 degrees downwards to help with hitting the low blocks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there still no fixes for playlists since 1.6.0 or am I doing something wrong?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there any particular good app for managing/adding custom song libraries? I downloaded this song pack but unfortunately it seems to be formatted differently to how beat saber actually reads songs. The custom level folders each appear to have a key at the start while these songs are just the song name with no key which throws a wrench on beat drop (which lets you pick a particular folder format but not all at once). Trying to add the folders directly just leads to errors in seeing the track data on stuff like beatdrop. I've tried adding these on both PC and my Quest and I can't get it work on either.

I'd like to not have to download all this poo poo one by one if I can avoid it!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Have you tried beatdrop? I think it links to your bsaber account and any favs/playlists you have there should sync over.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

BadMedic posted:

Oh is it? I didn't look through the options closely enough then. And no, I only change the angle 15 degrees downwards to help with hitting the low blocks.

They added sabertaylor natively basically. Its a bit more limited but if you only rotate 15 degrees you can do this now with zero mods.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
5 weeks in, 75 hours or so worth of playtime

Not as frustrated as I used to be over NJS. The number one flaw the game has in my eyes now is that the scoring system is frustrating, and now I know why people have invented various styles of "grips"; it's near impossible to hold the controller the standard way and also score well.

Also, there should be diminishing returns for slider notes in terms of health bar damage, they are a bit too punishing.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

5 weeks in, 75 hours or so worth of playtime

Not as frustrated as I used to be over NJS. The number one flaw the game has in my eyes now is that the scoring system is frustrating, and now I know why people have invented various styles of "grips"; it's near impossible to hold the controller the standard way and also score well.

Also, there should be diminishing returns for slider notes in terms of health bar damage, they are a bit too punishing.

Thats kinda the point of sliders. Another 20 or so hours you'll be back not feeling that way. Sliders are the first meta I super enjoy. Done correctly, they rule.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

EbolaIvory posted:

Thats kinda the point of sliders. Another 20 or so hours you'll be back not feeling that way. Sliders are the first meta I super enjoy. Done correctly, they rule.

They feel satisfying to hit, but missing one shouldn't basically be an instant fail. There is nothing rewarding about that, it's just another convoluted way to add fake difficulty to charts.

This game needs less arbitrary bullshit from Osu and more standardized tweaks to make it more player-friendly overall. It literally has infinite difficulty scaling since the content is user-based, so extra difficulty spikes are meaningless.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What the hell are sliders? Those non-directional blocks in a conga line?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, so for example a series of 3 blocks all together that look like > o o

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BabyRyoga posted:

They feel satisfying to hit, but missing one shouldn't basically be an instant fail. There is nothing rewarding about that, it's just another convoluted way to add fake difficulty to charts.

This game needs less arbitrary bullshit from Osu and more standardized tweaks to make it more player-friendly overall. It literally has infinite difficulty scaling since the content is user-based, so extra difficulty spikes are meaningless.

You can miss a lot. Watch the clip I made for dude. Overlay is off, but you can clearly see misses and I don't play on nofail. I wont even do "training modes" to practice poo poo(I do sometimes go "ok wtf" and look at a pattern). I'm a sight reader through and through.

Combat Pretzel posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/FilthyCheerfulDeerBCWarrior

Entire maps sliders. Probably one of my favs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh these things. I can't have too much of these, I work these entirely from memory in a map.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug
It's amazing how much of an effect small tweaks can have on your score.
With my Vive, I could consistently SS rank expert maps, but on my Index wands I could only maintain an S rank.
Today I adjusted the saber angle from 15* downward to 20* downward, and now I'm SS ranking maps again.

5 degrees can make a big difference.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
I finally turned on static lights and whilr the experience isn't as immersive it has helped play a lot on my quest, more due to performance of the system than anything else.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I never considered having performance problems on the Quest, but who knows, maybe you are right and my scores would rise with that change, even if the difference isn't intermediately noticeable.

Also:

The new update with 3 new free tracks by one & only
@cametek
just landed on Steam, PlayStation Store & Oculus Store!

We're releasing:
> Exit This Earth's Atomosphere
> GHOST
> Light It Up

*Friendly reminder: You should stretch before downloading this update.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Turin Turambar posted:

I never considered having performance problems on the Quest, but who knows, maybe you are right and my scores would rise with that change, even if the difference isn't intermediately noticeable.

I find it really depends on the map, the amount of effects and walls etc it uses.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What name is the mapmaker Ryger actually playing the game as? I'd certainly love to see how he does on his own maps, because Christ almighty.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

What name is the mapmaker Ryger actually playing the game as? I'd certainly love to see how he does on his own maps, because Christ almighty.

Really? Rygars stuff tends to be pretty easy. What maps are you having issues with?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

Really? Rygars stuff tends to be pretty easy. What maps are you having issues with?

Yeah Ryger is one of the great mainstream Expert+ mappers putting out jamming tunes with good flow that quite often end up as bangers for Maul too.
PP grinding stupid stuff is on an entirely different tier.
I’m still trying to break passed 3:40 on Heart of the Dragon

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

Pillbug
Man, it's always an annoyance when an update drops and you have to reinstall your mods.

For actual content, I have 2 questions:
1. I played a song, and the UI changed just for that play through. It move the UI elements from the sides to a single HUD above the track. How did that happen?
2. What's going on with the Camellia songs in the OST? I consider my skill level to be low to mid expert+, but these songs murder me even on expert.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BadMedic posted:

2. What's going on with the Camellia songs in the OST? I consider my skill level to be low to mid expert+, but these songs murder me even on expert.

The meta for PP grinding is changing, skill cap is higher, thus, the official OST is now trying to keep up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

They are for the most part. But he tends to have short obnoxious barrages of blocks in the middle of it, just for the sake of it (at least those I'm currently playing). Once you're past it, things get easier again for the rest of the map.

Also, several thousand hours into the game, calling something easy. lol. --edit: I'm only 101 hours in.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 31, 2020

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

They are for the most part. But he tends to have short obnoxious barrages of blocks in the middle of it, just for the sake of it (at least those I'm currently playing). Once you're past it, things get easier again for the rest of the map.

Also, several thousand hours into the game, calling something easy. lol. --edit: I'm only 101 hours in.

Yes, Several Thousand.

His maps are pretty chill/easy for E+. Understand that I'm kinda taking that from a viewpoint of the average people I know who arent 90000 hour pp grinders. His maps are pretty popular with the "Ok with E but struggle with E+" crowd. You know, the 50-250 hour players. MajorPickle kinda falls in there too. I'm not a huge fan because his mapping style bugs me, but its all serviceable for the most part.

Personally, I think they are mostly boring. These days if its not at least 5-7+ notes a second I'm super bored unless its dancy as hell.

I also kinda wondered which maps because to be honest, he really is a hit or miss mapper, more so with older poo poo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The latest I'm trying to do better on is Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now from him. It's generally "easy", except for a small section in it, that's a barrage of blocks and sliders (or what they're called). I can make it through it, but more by chance than anything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ur mom is a pp grinder

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

The latest I'm trying to do better on is Dua Lipa - Don't Start Now from him. It's generally "easy", except for a small section in it, that's a barrage of blocks and sliders (or what they're called). I can make it through it, but more by chance than anything.

Yeah this all just sounds like you need to get used to basic streams and stop panic flailing :)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

ur mom is a pp grinder

Probably. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Ok new BMBF for quest. Says I have to uninstall and reinstall BMBF this time. Is there any way to do that without me losing all my scores?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chin Strap posted:

Ok new BMBF for quest. Says I have to uninstall and reinstall BMBF this time. Is there any way to do that without me losing all my scores?

Unless they’ve changed it you can backup the game data using sidequest then restore after the update/reinstall process is completed.

I also believe there may be a mod specifically for keeping backups of your score?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there any way to make use of https://scoresaber.balibalo.xyz/peepee now that playlists have been broken?
Is there a way to convert old playlists to the new format or if there's a similar service that can give you songs for PP "grind"?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'm at 100 hours, and consider myself an "intermediate" level player now. Made a progression guide of songs increasing in difficulty that helped me get where I am now. Each individual song usually either focuses on an individual skill or just has an all-around jump in general skills. I still can't do some of the ones in the level 5 category, but i'm pretty close.

Level 1 - Baby Steps

Everlong (Welcome to Beat Saber)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/8fe

Fuel (Mixed up Sides Management)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/52f9

Bridal Festival (Flow A)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/6e71

Flower Dance (General Skills)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/6ace

Dont you Want me feat. Such (Level 1 BOSS)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/5030

Level 2 - Building Confidence

Citrus (Intuitive Note Reading)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/858
AND/OR
Choux a la Creme
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/1482

Watashi no Tenshi (General Skills)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/7d3d

Windy Fairy (Note Jump Speed 1, Stamina 1)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/756e

Made in Love (Level 2 BOSS)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/19de

Level 3 - The Kitchen Sink

Chocolate Planet (Single Lane Streams)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/70d7

Albida (Double Lane Streams 1)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/7c68

Mayday (Sliders)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/6b8c

Monkey Business (Weird Patterns)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/21e8

LegenD. (Level 3 BOSS)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/4c63

Level 4 - Let's Kick it up a Notch

Mermaid Girl Ryu Mix (General Skills)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/3c6a

Ijime Dame Zettai (Double Lane Streams 2, Stamina 2)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/31cb

Brain Power SDVX Mix (Stamina 3)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/21f4

Wish Upon Twin Stars (Mixed-up Streaming)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/361f

Hastur (Level 4 BOSS)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/7dc8

Level 5 - Making Sense of it all

Setsuna Trip (General Skills)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/4fea

Colorful Asterisk DnB Mix (Note Jump Speed 2)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/63f0

Seraphim (Reading, Weird Patterns)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/5b2d

Freedom Dive [note: play expert chart, not expert + chart] (Extreme Streaming)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/2bc3

Miracle 5ympho X (Final BOSS)
https://beatsaver.com/api/download/key/3fdd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I was actually just coming to this thread to ask for something like this, lmao

I'm at about ... 5 hours, loving it so far, but I'm feeling a little stuck at about the Hard level on the OST. (Except for the Camellia stuff, which seems like a step up from everything else, but Normal on those songs still feels a bit too easy). Is this set of songs good for skilling up from where I am now, or would I need to get some more reps in first before I can really tackle them?

I find I mostly end up losing a song when I get out of sync on a fast rhythm section - I'm hitting every note with the perfect tempo, in the exact opposite direction of what I'm supposed to. Does anyone have any tips for recovering from that, or is it a matter of keeping the timing well enough to never end up in that situation?