Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
[This thread is primarily about Beat Saber, and discussion of other rhythm VR titles is allowed and encouraged]

Beat Saber is a VR rhythm game, essentially DDR with lightsabers. It's been called the killer app of VR. Akin to Soundboxing or Audioshield -- but much more badass-feeling -- it's like being a Jedi Master of Dance: you have two laser swords, and you slice blocks in time to the music. Sometimes you also dodge bombs or walls. Here's a short trailer that gives you a good idea of what it's like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa4vrynwkwY

And here's a more fun, mixed-reality video showing real people playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzVMKIHQht0 (if that looks too sedate for you, rest assured that the skill ceiling can go much, much higher)

Hmm, well I guess it looks cool, but I think I need more convincing.

Then you may be interested in this beautiful little love letter to Beat Saber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHoO9uoOrFs

Or this article from a Verge writer on why Beat Saber is their Game of the Year: https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/18/18145103/beat-saber-game-of-the-year-psvr-oculus-vive

Okay, that looks awesome! Where can I play this thing??

Beat Saber is available on PSVR, PC (Oculus Store and Steam), and Quest. A word on platforms...while by all accounts the PSVR version is a perfectly cromulent port, it has one major downside: no mods. And while the loss of cosmetic mods that change the look of your sabers or platform is minor, much less minor is the loss of custom tracks.

That's right, as you'd probably expect, on the PC, the community has gone hog wild in creating their own maps set to their favorite songs. There are thousands of songs of available, and probably hundreds of those are actually good! But on PSVR, no mods means none of that, so you're stuck with just the tracks it comes with. And the 16 tracks it currently has, while certainly good and fun and well-made, will eventually see you getting tired of them. Whereas on PC, the sky's the limit!

Now, if you already have PSVR, I'd say that the game is still worth the price of entry, especially since there's more planned DLC. But if you're thinking this is a game you'd really want to dive into, the PC version is definitely the one to go with.

Note on the Quest version, it doesn't have cross-buy with Rift for the base game, but does have cross-buy for DLC tracks. Why the difference? Who knows. Quest also does not have custom tracks at the time of me writing this (2019-5-21), but the thing just came out and supposedly some modders are working on it.

I don't know how to VR, tell me what I must do

For details on that, consider checking out the VR Megathread, but here's a quickie version. You can get the PSVR for $350 including Beat Saber, and it's the easiest to set up, but it's also more limited (no mods) and the tracking isn't quite as good as on Rift or Vive. Still a good option if you already have a PS4, but no gaming PC.

Over on PC, assuming you already have a gaming PC, the cheapest option would be one of several different mixed reality headsets, which seem to largely be in the $200-$300 range. A highly recommended and only slightly pricier step up from that would be the Oculus Rift + Touch for $350; the Touch controllers here have been widely praised, and the camera-based tracking will be better than the inside-out system WMR headsets use (albeit with increased setup hassle). Buying an extra, third sensor is often recommend for the Rift, but for Beat Saber in particular it's not really necessary: you really only need enough space to take about one big step to the left and right, and to swing your arms around wildly.

Yet another step up in price from that is the HTV Vive for $500, which is similar to the Rift. It has worse controllers for VR overall (but completely fine for Beat Saber at least), doesn't come with built-in headphones (one benjamin for their deluxe audio strap), but it does have superior tracking, especially for larger play areas. And you can drop $300 for going wireless, if money is no object to you. Actually just kidding, if money is really no object, you can get the Vive Pro, which has a higher resolution screen than the regular Vive or Rift, but be forewarned: in addition to higher demands on your GPU, the full kit also costs $1,400: https://enterprise.vive.com/us/?segment=viveprofullkit-personal

Beat Saber will also probably be coming to the upcoming standalone headsets, the Oculus Quest and HTC Vive Cosmos. It hasn't been announced yet for those, but given how popular it is, and that it's already been ported to one new platform, I view it as practically guaranteed.

Oh, and I guess there's also Beat Saber Arcades in a few places:

Wait a second, didn't I hear something about VR making people motion sick before?

For many other VR games, this can be a concern. For Beat Saber, since the only in-game motion is 1:1 correlated with your actual, real-world movement -- no moving your character using thumbsticks, or even teleporting -- this doesn't seem to come up much, if at all. So you're probably safe.

Alright, I got this poo poo, info dump me please

First off, probably want to go into player settings and set your height. If you don't, there's a good chance you'll find some of the blocks pretty awkward to hit. And if you're gonna be sharing this game with others -- and Beat Saber is a highly shareable VR game -- remember to reset this for each person.

There's a few different modes of play: you got the standard dual saber style with most blocks being directional, and there's also some tracks that support single saber, or non-directional blocks only. Some crazy people also tape connect their controllers together to play Darth Maul-style, but I'm guessing that's only really feasible on some tracks, and it's beyond the scope of this OP. edit: nvm, the founder of the movement has something to say on this topic:

rage-saq posted:

First off, while I can confirm that I am said crazy person who started the Beat Saber Darth Maul craze, there was no tape involved AND its pretty feasible on most tracks outside of the current PP grinding meta trend of things that are burning dumpster fire of spam maps or worse than cancer jump maps. It definitely prefers maps with great flow for spins

Personally I find it to be much more fun than regular mode in spite off the extra weight and lack of maps made with Darth Maul mode in mind.

Then there's five difficulty ratings: easy, normal, hard, expert, and expert+ (this last one is a post-launch addition). As you'd expect, each one involves more blocks coming faster than the last, to the point where some expert+ tracks are practically a wall of blocks bearing only vague resemblance to the actual music. Don't worry about that now, though, getting better at Beat Saber is a pleasant and unavoidable process. "Wow, I can't believe I used to think this song was hard" is a common occurrence if you play a lot.

The scoring works like this: you get up to 70 points for your pre-slice arc (up to 90 degrees for max points), up to 30 points for your follow-through arc (up to 60 degrees for max points), and up to 10 points for how even your cut is; the ideal is slicing the cube into two equal chunks, so basically you want your slice to go through the center of the cube.

Oh, and I feel I should add a little note here: Beat Saber can be a pretty decent aerobic workout, especially as you start to skill up. It's not super intense, but sweat is definitely a thing here. So personally, I always try to wear shorts if I'm doing more than a song or two, and I'm now seriously considering buying a better face cover.

You said something about mods and custom songs?

Yes! For more on that on PC, check out this wiki page, I believe the standard installer recommended as of 2019-5-30 on the beat saber subreddit is Mod Assistant: https://bsmg.wiki/beginners-guide

For the Quest, things are still in flux, but the recommendation as of 2019-6-10 is to use Side Quest: https://bsaber.com/oculus-quest-custom-songs/

Now, the quality of user-made tracks will vary a great deal. My son downloaded one Kirby track only to discover it had only been mapped for about ten seconds, and I've also stumbled across tracks that are fully mapped but just plain bad. But there are also a lot of really good tracks, often brilliantly showcasing the individual mapper's style (the love letter video up there goes into this a bit more). Luckily, you can sort by most played and most downloaded, which helps a lot, and you can also see the number of thumbs up/down each track has received. Another thing to note is that the custom tracks are skewed towards the higher difficulty ratings, so you may want to stick with the default set until you're at least comfortable with hard-level tracks.

If you're looking for a good mapper to get your feet wet, can't go wrong with BennyDaBeast (immortalized in the GIF up there, performing on his own song). His songs are well known for being high quality, and focus more on fun factor and being 'danceable' than technical challenge.

There are also mods for other things, like custom platforms and sabers. For a bit more on that, and other resources, see the next section.

Resources

Beat Saber Subreddit - Presumably you know how these things work

Beat Saver - Custom songs, including download links

Beast Saber - Custom songs, focusing more on browsing/discovery

Score Saber - Leaderboards

Beat Saber Modding Group (Discord) - Discussion and links for modding Beat Saber. For downloads, check out the "finished" channels (e.g. "#finished-sabers"). If you have the relevant mod installed, files should get dropped into a directory in your steam Beat Saber folder, e.g. "Steam\steamapps\common\Beat Saber\CustomSabers".

SyncSaber - Send maps instantly to your game from bsaber.com, follow favorite mappers to get their new maps auto-downloaded whenever they come out, will auto-update maps when new versions are available.

ChromaToggle - Deeper gameplay mod that lets you change how colors work, add new kinds of blocks, and even crazier things like Double Maul sabers, or light sabers sprouting from your head.

And...that's pretty much everything I know. Happy sabering!

(please feel more than free to correct mistakes in the OP or suggest other resources or comments, especially for things I touched on only lightly)

Cicero fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

[Reserving this space for other Rhythm VR games, if you'd like to see your favorite game up here, please post a little write-up]

Cicero fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 9, 2019

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
ur mom beat my saber

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Cicero posted:

Some crazy people also tape their controllers together to play Darth Maul-style, but I'm guessing that's only really feasible on some tracks, and it's beyond the scope of this OP.

Oh, and I feel I should add a little note here: Beat Saber can be a pretty decent aerobic workout, especially as you start to skill up. It's not super intense, but sweat is definitely a thing here. So personally, I always try to wear shorts if I'm doing more than a song or two, and I'm now seriously considering buying a better face cover.

First off, while I can confirm that I am said crazy person who started the Beat Saber Darth Maul craze, there was no tape involved AND its pretty feasible on most tracks outside of the current PP grinding meta trend of things that are burning dumpster fire of spam maps or worse than cancer jump maps. It definitely prefers maps with great flow for spins

Personally I find it to be much more fun than regular mode in spite off the extra weight and lack of maps made with Darth Maul mode in mind.

Also, the aerobic aspect of Beat Saber is really only limited by what you put into it. Play some hard songs frequently for 2 hours and it will kick your rear end. Have a big rear end fan, a sweat towel and lots of water handy.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I hope you don't take any stock in that graph since pretty much every part of it is wrong, from the HR zones, to (most likely) the max HR, and especially the calories burned given the average HR.

For actual content: the expert+ KDA map by bennythebeast is an absolute blast and I'm completely addicted to it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Full Circle posted:

I hope you don't take any stock in that graph since pretty much every part of it is wrong, from the HR zones, to (most likely) the max HR, and especially the calories burned given the average HR.

For actual content: the expert+ KDA map by bennythebeast is an absolute blast and I'm completely addicted to it.

I can't speak to the HR zones, thats just part of the app, but chest strap HRMs are pretty accurate.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Full Circle posted:

I'm trying expert+ after finally being able to complete everything on expert but I'm just getting my rear end kicked. Of the native tracks is there a particular song you'd recommend expert+ on to help make the jump?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Also, the aerobic aspect of Beat Saber is really only limited by what you put into it. Play some hard songs frequently for 2 hours and it will kick your rear end. Have a big rear end fan, a sweat towel and lots of water handy.

Holy poo poo you really spent over 2 hours doing beat saber in maul mode? That would certainly help get me in shape. How do you keep the controllers in the stock? I have a knock-off stock I could probably use for the same purpose.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 9, 2019

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Stick100 posted:

Holy poo poo you really spent over 2 hours doing beat saber in maul mode? That would certainly help get me in shape. How do you keep the controllers in the stock? I have a knock-off stock I could probably use for the same purpose.

2-3 hours a time 3-4 days a week since Beat Saber came out. The prosaber is pretty good for keeping it in but I also screw clamp down and tie the straps to the controller mounts.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Full Circle posted:

https://beatsaver.com/browse/detail/7804-7809

Better map IMO.

Also our chest straps are pretty accurate. I run a Garmin soft strap + Ant+ adapter and some custom software. Its been pretty bang on.

Stick100 posted:

Some dudes are using tape.
Get to cancer level, you'll burn the calories either way man. You've seen how hard poo poo can get ;)

Skyarb posted:

I'm trying expert+ after finally being able to complete everything on expert but I'm just getting my rear end kicked. Of the native tracks is there a particular song you'd recommend expert+ on to help make the jump?

Yes.

As far as "Built in" songs. The new knower track on e+ is actually decent. IMO the rest are mostly garbage. Popstar is alright i suppose but it feels like its a rip off of orange/lols map in places.

With that said. Get the downloader installed.

Tower of Heaven.
https://beatsaver.com/browse/detail/6519-6137

Its my zen map. Its basically 2 long rolls.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/349330130
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCDwEkcL7Rc Same video. Some people prefer youtube.

Its a good time. Love the map. Shame it got unranked.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 9, 2019

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I just did my first two Expert+ clears last night, Midnight City and Party Rock Anthem, so I guess I'd recommend those as easier Expert+ maps.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

Tower of Heaven.
https://beatsaver.com/browse/detail/6519-6137

Its my zen map. Its basically 2 long rolls.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/349330130
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCDwEkcL7Rc Same video. Some people prefer youtube.

Its a good time. Love the map. Shame it got unranked.

Ugh, I hate maps like this where you are just standing in place. Much prefer stuff that has me moving my rear end around like an idiot.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Enos Cabell posted:

Ugh, I hate maps like this where you are just standing in place. Much prefer stuff that has me moving my rear end around like an idiot.

Totally get that. That play through is also super lazy on purpose. Was purely trying to chill out and full combo it. Plus once you get to that skill cap. Its a lot more fun than you think. I legit can get my heartrate up just as high playing that cancer as I can dancing around.

With that said. Theres TONS of really fun "dancy" poo poo if you're into that.

https://beatsaver.com/browse/detail/8129-8185

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/333364478

Then theres super chill stuff like fafs maps.

https://beatsaver.com/browse/detail/10295-10811

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyH-MHoS6cM

Or if you wanna do some spins. (Need to re-record this. Holy poo poo)

https://beatsaver.com/browse/detail/6924-6602

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2-JYSybh9Y&t

Basically look up faf and ruckus. I need to do a video of Hoohah soon. That maps so freaking fun.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 9, 2019

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

Totally get that. That play through is also super lazy on purpose. Was purely trying to chill out and full combo it. Plus once you get to that skill cap. Its a lot more fun than you think. I legit can get my heartrate up just as high playing that cancer as I can dancing around.

With that said. Theres TONS of really fun "dancy" poo poo if you're into that.

https://beatsaver.com/browse/detail/8129-8185

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/333364478

Hah, you read my mind because Circus is currently my favorite track in the game. And to be fair, I wouldn't be able to stand still on Tower of Heaven because I am nowhere NEAR as good as you are.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Enos Cabell posted:

Hah, you read my mind because Circus is currently my favorite track in the game. And to be fair, I wouldn't be able to stand still on Tower of Heaven because I am nowhere NEAR as good as you are.

I'll try and remember to post it but I went to splitverse and did a big production with that song. Ruckus threw together a "for QT" version before the 100k contest so I could practice and poo poo.

Hoohah is seriously going to replace circus for you. I'm almost sad I didnt get that map first.

Ooo and Focus Fire by Heisenberg. Holy poo poo.

As far as being "good". If you can do circus (on E+), you could probably do tower. Tower is IMO one of the easiest stream maps because its basically a perfectly timed roll twice. You can basically ignore some of the far right hand crosses and still get through it no problem.

:D

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Don't think I've tried any Faf songs either but what you've posted looks pretty sweet. Looking forward to checking these out tonight! Skill wise I'm still on the lower end of expert for the most part, some stuff I still have to drop down to hard.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Enos Cabell posted:

Don't think I've tried any Faf songs either but what you've posted looks pretty sweet. Looking forward to checking these out tonight! Skill wise I'm still on the lower end of expert for the most part, some stuff I still have to drop down to hard.

Give it a few weeks. I'm nearing 800 hours played at this point (pushed over 750 monday) so I know I'm a bit further up the ladder than people. But with that said, Stay out of your comfort zone. I don't bang my head on hard poo poo over and over. I give it like 2-3 plays and move on. I'll come back later or someone will request it later. No sense in burning out. But I do say bang your head on things a little. :D

Faf maps also own. He has like 1 I dislike and its purely because I think the song is trash. (crave i think its called)

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

But with that said, Stay out of your comfort zone. I don't bang my head on hard poo poo over and over. I give it like 2-3 plays and move on. I'll come back later or someone will request it later. No sense in burning out. But I do say bang your head on things a little. :D

Quoted for truth.
Also, banging your head a bit on stupidly hard songs that you LIKE to play is definitely a way to get better overall and learn new techniques.
I typically hold a list of a few challenge songs that I save for the end to try and beat / get good at and some of them have taken me weeks of practice to clear. (4-5 times a night a few nights a week)
Then I’ll go back a month or two later and just totally destroy the song on my first try or feel like it’s boring without speeding it up a little.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

Then I’ll go back a month or two later and just totally destroy the song on my first try or feel like it’s boring without speeding it up a little.

Holy poo poo this. I go back to some stuff and im like "why dont I have a score on this".

Turns out, It was something I went "hahaha nope" on a month ago. Now I'm sight reading it, getting a 89% going "poo poo no SS?"

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Thanks for the correction, I've added this to the OP along with a link to the website selling the ProSaber VR.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Thanks for the tip, I wish I liked the knower song but I think the song itself is hot garbage. Popstars is an outright banger though.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

rage-saq posted:

I can't speak to the HR zones, thats just part of the app, but chest strap HRMs are pretty accurate.

That's pretty wild if you're using a chest strap. My Max HR is slightly above average and my absolute ceiling is 190. I wore it a few times doing intense tracks in beat saber and I think the highest I got to was 150 bpm. I'm jealous you can get that much of a workout from it.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Full Circle posted:

That's pretty wild if you're using a chest strap. My Max HR is slightly above average and my absolute ceiling is 190. I wore it a few times doing intense tracks in beat saber and I think the highest I got to was 150 bpm. I'm jealous you can get that much of a workout from it.
Swap out your VR controller that weighs about 1.5lbs and has 2 feet of leverage and play insane maps not designed for Maul mode and you’ll get destroyed. That high is really rare though, if I really pushing it I usually see 186 for my tops, could have been a data error on that particular workout.
Also you could go for clawsaber setup that has a foot of reach, I’m not sure if that’s compatible in 0.12.x yet though

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 10, 2019

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Full Circle posted:

You can too if you put more into it! hes down like 20-30 lbs. Im down 50.

rage-saq posted:

Swap out your VR controller that weighs about 1.5lbs and has 2 feet of leverage and play insane maps not designed for Maul mode and you’ll get destroyed.
Also you could go for clawsaber setup that has a foot of reach, I’m not sure if that’s compatible in 0.12.x yet though

Or he can just play like like me (normal), and still kill it cal wise.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm down about 85lb from when I first played a Beat Saber track six months ago. Probably 90% of that loss is from tracking calories, but the extra exercise certainly isn't hurting!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm down about 85lb from when I first played a Beat Saber track six months ago. Probably 90% of that loss is from tracking calories, but the extra exercise certainly isn't hurting!

Holy poo poo, congrats.

Diet changes?

I still eat like poo poo personally. If it wasnt for saber being so addictive I'd still be fat tbh.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Somehow I don’t have Beat Saber despite buying every dumb VR game that ever comes out. I will probably get it this weekend. Good OP, OP

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

Holy poo poo, congrats.

Diet changes?

I still eat like poo poo personally. If it wasnt for saber being so addictive I'd still be fat tbh.

Thanks! Only major change I've made is weighing and tracking everything I eat on a phone app. I still kinda eat like poo poo and drink booze daily, I just do less of it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Enos Cabell posted:

Thanks! Only major change I've made is weighing and tracking everything I eat on a phone app. I still kinda eat like poo poo and drink booze daily, I just do less of it.

Thats awesome man. I should follow suit and actually watch how much I eat. As it stands I just kinda pig out. XD

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
I still don't really understand the scoring in this game. I know it's all about how much you swing but it seems like even if i'm swinging in a big arc, i still get a bunch of hits under 100 points. The worst ones are patterns that don't alternate directions.

At this point I can comfortably get an A on most expert songs but very rarely get an S and I can't even get close to an SS.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

infinite99 posted:

I still don't really understand the scoring in this game. I know it's all about how much you swing but it seems like even if i'm swinging in a big arc, i still get a bunch of hits under 100 points. The worst ones are patterns that don't alternate directions.

At this point I can comfortably get an A on most expert songs but very rarely get an S and I can't even get close to an SS.

Same here. I get full combos and barely get A ranks, yet my friend playing for the first time misses a bunch of notes and effortlessly gets an S rank.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

This game honestly justifies having a Vive for me altogether. Standing in future world cutting up blocks with your swords is awesome.

Only thing I worry about occasionally is if I'm gonna do something to my arms flailing them around without much weight on em. I've definitely had times where I felt it when I woke up the next morning.

Oh yeah, I also made the mistake of recording me playing a couple songs just to see what I look like. A good reminder that feeling cool and good, and looking cool and good, are two very different things.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

+1 for the fafurion recommendation, I downloaded and tried all his tracks for the first time tonight and they were all solid to great. I feel like I'm at a weird skill level where expert gets boring unless I sped it up, about 25% of expert+ is a fun challenge, and the last 75% of expert+ songs are way over my head. Are there any particular mappers who make good "easy" expert+ songs?

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
Yay Beat Saber! I started playing when you posted about it in May and was hooked. The tracks that came with it got old and I've been waiting for it to pick up with a proper mod community and more awesome tracks.

Off to play!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Full Circle posted:

+1 for the fafurion recommendation, I downloaded and tried all his tracks for the first time tonight and they were all solid to great. I feel like I'm at a weird skill level where expert gets boring unless I sped it up, about 25% of expert+ is a fun challenge, and the last 75% of expert+ songs are way over my head. Are there any particular mappers who make good "easy" expert+ songs?

Ruckus is a good place to be. Its a mixed bag of hard af, dancy, and doable E+. Start at swiggity and move around.

BlackBlazon also makes a bunch of streamy maps. His older stuff is pretty, eh though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

infinite99 posted:

BadMedic posted:

Same here. I get full combos and barely get A ranks, yet my friend playing for the first time misses a bunch of notes and effortlessly gets an S rank.
Right, just added a scoring explanation to the OP:

quote:

The scoring works like this: you get up to 70 points for your pre-slice arc (up to 90 degrees for max points), up to 30 points for your follow-through arc (up to 60 degrees for max points), and up to 10 points for how even your cut is; the ideal is slicing the cube into two equal chunks, so basically you want your slice to go through the center of the cube.

AndrewP posted:

Somehow I don’t have Beat Saber despite buying every dumb VR game that ever comes out. I will probably get it this weekend. Good OP, OP
Thanks!

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

I wonder if I'll ever like expert+. I like the challenge of it, still can't quite finish one but it feels frantic and less flowy than expert which I find immensely fun

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Skyarb posted:

I wonder if I'll ever like expert+. I like the challenge of it, still can't quite finish one but it feels frantic and less flowy than expert which I find immensely fun

You will. I hated it at first. Something just clicks and you go “ohhhhhhh”

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Skyarb posted:

This is first expert+ song I practiced and passed, it's got some cool patterns and never gets too spammy:
https://bsaber.com/songs/3156/

Thanks for the Ruckus reccomendation, Tried all his songs, have 2 or 3 left to beat now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Skyarb posted:

This song is super fun on Expert and Expert+

https://bsaber.com/songs/8914-9155/

This song had a fun Expert+ chart but it was kinda fast but still a fun song to do.

https://bsaber.com/songs/5446/