Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Why won’t you answer the question?!

Look pal, i'm just here to tell people if there are or are not parachutes. Ain't my job to tell you if someone uses it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

It's got a parachute.

a ballistic parachute?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PainterofCrap posted:

Um

Does he land somewhere

Poochie died on the way back to his home planet. :(

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Bad Munki posted:

Jimmy cracked corn

No1curr

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/SlfaEIr.mp4

Don't gently caress with lithium ion batteries.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
That escalated intensely :stare:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

So they are calling that the first time people have flown autonomously, but what about Franky "Flyman" Zapata who flew across the English Channel? Are they engaging in some semantic games here that Franky's hoverboard is more a vehicle than a jetpack is?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/flying-frenchman-succeeds-bid-cross-english-channel-jet-powered-hoverboard-n1039041

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Turns out modern batteries are super unsafe...but no one seems to give a poo poo.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Survive a shooting because the bullet lodged in your phone, then die when the battery immolates you.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It's a great indication of why TSA is totally useless. They'll confiscate your water bottle, but not the battery to your laptop that could easily pop a hole in the side of the airplane.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Kith posted:

It's a great indication of why TSA is totally useless. They'll confiscate your water bottle, but not the battery to your laptop that could easily pop a hole in the side of the airplane.

Don't forget about your shoes!!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kith posted:

Are they filled with flogiston?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

sticksy posted:

Don't forget about your shoes!!

Look at this pleb who doesn't have pre-check. Are you still taking your laptop out, taking your shoes off, and putting your belt away? :smugdog:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kith posted:

This is a lithium polymer battery though. Li-ion batteries will react with air but not nearly as violently.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
in re: hard hats + stickers

I've been told that the problem H&S people have with excessive stickers is that they can hide cracks or other damage.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/XpgfhOz.gifv

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

It's super effective

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Are they filled with flogiston?

It's the same magic smoke used in other electronics, just earlier in the fire -> smoke progression.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Memento posted:

This is a lithium polymer battery though. Li-ion batteries will react with air but not nearly as violently.

That's not reacting with air, the knife is shorting it out internally and it's entering thermal runaway, damaging more cells and dumping it's whole charge in a few seconds, making a shitton of heat and oxygen. Most things are combustible with enough heat and oxygen, so it bursts into fire.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

LifeSunDeath posted:

Turns out modern batteries are super unsafe...but no one seems to give a poo poo.

They're getting safer, and there are a lot more standards available. There's a guy at my work working on some equipment that has to copy l comply with mine safety (the serious international regulations, not the MSHA cowboy comedy hour). He's been deliberately bypassing the safety circuitry and shorting the batteries to destructively test them, and they only smoke and fizzle. I was very disappointed when I helped him run a test.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kith posted:

Hydrolic Press Channel has tons of this stuff
https://youtu.be/IQdnb0iRAQA?t=310
Plus great Finnish accents.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I remember being shocked into silence when the main guy ended up being a blonde guy instead of some giant hairy Turkish dude with a mustache. I completely had the accent wrong.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I remember being shocked into silence when the main guy ended up being a blonde guy instead of some giant hairy Turkish dude with a mustache. I completely had the accent wrong.

How did you get anything other than Finnish from his accent

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

or indeed general attitude

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I knew he was Finnish, but I thought he was older.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Maybe you should give him more time to finnish

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

shocked into silence

Please don't explode :ohdear:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Memento posted:

Maybe you should give him more time to finnish

Finnish him

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Look at this pleb who doesn't have pre-check. Are you still taking your laptop out, taking your shoes off, and putting your belt away? :smugdog:

Look at this pleb who wears a belt instead of a perfectly tailored tuxedo at the airport. Does your private jet even have a decent cocktail bar?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/kBonsQY.mp4

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

idk that looks awesome as hell

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Kith posted:

TSA confiscated a pack of toothpicks I had in my carry on bag. Its beyond parody at this point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DandyLion posted:

TSA confiscated a pack of toothpicks I had in my carry on bag. Its beyond parody at this point.

The gently caress are you going to do with toothpicks, menacingly clean your teeth at people?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The gently caress are you going to do with toothpicks, menacingly clean your teeth at people?

The explanation was sharp objects I could fashion into a weapon. I honestly can't tell if they're brainless or just loving with people at this point. I hoped/assumed the latter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

haunted bong posted:

idk that looks awesome as hell

Agreed.

DandyLion posted:

TSA is security theater and a chance for people to get felt up by strangers on a routine basis. I personally had never experienced my genitals being patted down until they started using the backscatter machines.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I've twice been popped for a random check that meant having some rear end in a top hat drag his knuckles across my dick. They say they're checking pockets but it's still the most humiliating bullshit I have been through.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TSA and US Secret Service were at Daytona Sunday for a nice one-two punch of incompetence.

As you might imagine getting 250,0000 drunk people through the gates with that bullshit going on was hilarious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Pretty sure the TSA rules are set by a bunch of Boomers who are terrified their own shadow, because it's black. They based their rulings on memes or fw;fw;fw style stories about liquid explosives.

This looks awesome and fun until someone wacks their foot on one of the sandbags holding it down and their leg is now at a completely wrong angle.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Seize the initiative; take a purple pill before going to the airport, establish dominance by making and holding eye contact with who ever is manning the backscatter machine, hold a slight pelvic thrust position while being patted down, again maintaining eye contact. It's a zero sum game, if they're losing you must be winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nocheez posted:

I've twice been popped for a random check that meant having some rear end in a top hat drag his knuckles across my dick. They say they're checking pockets but it's still the most humiliating bullshit I have been through.

If it was following the backscatter, it wasn't random. Prior to 2016, the backscatter scanners produced a near perfect image of your naked body that some agent would look at. Because people obviously were pissed when that became public knowledge, TSA switched to their current system. Now the scanner has expected scans of men and women's bodies. Instead of a person looking at you naked, now there is just a small screen that shows a bathroom door figure with a box around the anomaly. It anticipates nothing in your pockets, but if your dick is hanging down instead of being tucked up, for example, it marks it as an object in your pocket. Unless you can pull something out of your pocket, they must pat you down. I've went to supervisors and was told I either consent to the patdown or I don't fly. I know there are trans goons that have ran into the same problem. I agree that it is humiliating every time. The most recent time the agent doing the patdown spit out the minute long preamble about it in seconds because he has to do this poo poo so often.