Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

edit: nm

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Protocol7 posted:

Cynicism is inevitable in this field.

I mean my last job I got upset and they literally told me they’d do anything to keep me, that I was an invaluable member of the team, et cetera.

Then when I told them I got a job offer they were like “we can’t counter offer that, best of luck to you.”

So I mean when management is literally lying through their teeth for their own benefit... how do you not get cynical?

Without knowing anything else about the situation - they probably weren't lying through their teeth so much as perceiving reality differently. Middle managers often have very little authority over what they can pay you outside strict boundaries.

Somewhere at your employer, your org chart leads to someone with P&L responsibility - a profit and loss sheet. That person is the one who gets to allocate org-wide budgets, and is accountable for delivering some chunk of business functionality, frequently revenue but maybe "we service all the facilities/IT/accounting/logistics/whatever operations" or some other major piece of supporting functionality. If it's a publicly traded company, their numbers will likely be reported out to shareholders directly. They are probably C-level, or maybe one step removed. Almost all large organizations, even nonprofits, operate this way - there has to be someone who controls the final budgeting for some part of the organization and can arbitrate disputes.

If you weren't talking to someone with control over your business unit's P&L, then they're assigned a budget and have to work within it. Depending on the organization, going outside that budget might range from "difficult but possible in exceptional circumstances" to "not happening, ever." Asking them to increase your salary outside of whatever contingency they worked into their budget would be like asking them to run a sub-4-minute mile. It''s possible for certain people to make that happen, but for an ordinary middle manager, it's better to just say, "sorry, can't do it" than string people along trying to convince them that they'll get there. That's true even if they really like you and would prefer to do anything they could realistically do to keep you around.

This is why moving jobs is almost always the best way to increase your salary, and sane people don't take it personally on either side of the equation.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Space Gopher posted:

Somewhere at your employer, your org chart leads to someone with P&L responsibility - a profit and loss sheet.

I have found myself in a glorious situation where I work on a product that pretty much prints money and as a result our team’s (about 25 people) business manager has negotiated with leadership that we get to run our own P&L.

Obviously we can’t just give every engineer a seven figure salary and show a zero net for the business, but we have a significantly larger amount of latitude when it comes to spending money in general.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Space Gopher posted:

This is why moving jobs is almost always the best way to increase your salary, and sane people don't take it personally on either side of the equation.

I mean, I get it yeah. But those kinds of managers are all over the place - don’t promise the world if you know your hands are tied. That’s how you build a cynical workforce.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

Got yelled at by the boss+1 for leaving a corporate awards day at 5pm on a Friday. The "expectation" was to stay overnight at the venue, 2 hours drive away. This is hot on the heels of a move to a single floor open office. Company culture!!!!

This comment and with the dates.....you don't happen to work in the UK do you? for a certain large Canadian company? Or are dumb enforced corporate awards days that common a thing in this industry?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mega Comrade posted:

This comment and with the dates.....you don't happen to work in the UK do you? for a certain large Canadian company? Or are dumb enforced corporate awards days that common a thing in this industry?

I don’t know if it’s common but if I remember right I’m pretty sure one of my coworkers got an award for being casually dressed all the time.

Then he actually died from medical complications and it was something weird with his ability to regulate body temperature which is why he was always wearing hoodies.

I don’t really like how much I think of my last job when I think of stupid, insensitive management and corporate cronyism.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I went to year after year of company holiday parties where I would get angrier and angrier that I never got any of the dumb awards, so I finally said I wouldn't attend another one until they got rid of the awards. They awarded me the "Technology Leader" award in absentia for my accomplishments as Architect, then laid me off less than a month later because "we don't need an Architect."

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Haha yeah! How would you rate our dumb enforced corporate awards on a scale of 0 to 10? :hfive:

CPColin posted:

I went to year after year of company holiday parties where I would get angrier and angrier that I never got any of the dumb awards, so I finally said I wouldn't attend another one until they got rid of the awards. They awarded me the "Technology Leader" award in absentia for my accomplishments as Architect, then laid me off less than a month later because "we don't need an Architect."

Total ownage. Which manager did you manage to piss off that badly?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Haha yeah! How would you rate our dumb enforced corporate awards on a scale of 0 to 10? :hfive:

Ha ha small world. I got the feedback email today and I gave it a 2. My feedback was basically it felt like a smug management self congratulatory event that everyone else was just dragged to just to provide an audience for them.

I also was annoyed at how much they bigged up all this money they have to invest in new companies all the while they penny pinch on investing on resources and talent in the existing companies.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Total ownage. Which manager did you manage to piss off that badly?

The CTO, who never liked me, convinced the owner to fire the rest of the C-level, became COO (because they didn't think the "CEO" title was a good fit??), and ultimately resigned in shame a year later, because the business failed to turn itself around.

(Because the business is Experts Exchange and should have died ten years ago.)

Oh yeah, one time the then-CTO needled me, "Did you only come in today to watch soccer?" because I had a World Cup game on in the corner of my second monitor. It was a Saturday. I was there because I felt bad about having to miss time to have surgery on a broken finger. I should've just whomped them with my cast and left forever.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Protocol7 posted:

I don’t know if it’s common but if I remember right I’m pretty sure one of my coworkers got an award for being casually dressed all the time.

Then he actually died from medical complications and it was something weird with his ability to regulate body temperature which is why he was always wearing hoodies.

As in everyone else was wearing slacks and button-downs and he wore hoodies, and he got an award for being more casual?

Or everyone else wore ripped jeans and stained T-shirts with pictures of cartoon characters doing drugs, and he got an award for the being best dressed one on the team?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

CPColin posted:

The CTO, who never liked me, convinced the owner to fire the rest of the C-level, became COO (because they didn't think the "CEO" title was a good fit??), and ultimately resigned in shame a year later, because the business failed to turn itself around.

(Because the business is Experts Exchange and should have died ten years ago.)

Oh yeah, one time the then-CTO needled me, "Did you only come in today to watch soccer?" because I had a World Cup game on in the corner of my second monitor. It was a Saturday. I was there because I felt bad about having to miss time to have surgery on a broken finger. I should've just whomped them with my cast and left forever.

I love all your stories about EE.

I used to imagine it was a nice little company with a nice little profit stream, and it just accidentally had its lunch eaten by Stack Overflow.

But no. It apparently deserved it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Our lead architect is quitting.

Bye.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Bye.

congratulations, lead architect!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kitten smoothie posted:

As in everyone else was wearing slacks and button-downs and he wore hoodies, and he got an award for being more casual?

Or everyone else wore ripped jeans and stained T-shirts with pictures of cartoon characters doing drugs, and he got an award for the being best dressed one on the team?

There wasn’t any formal dress code unless clients were in the office. He was a fairly underperforming worker so I guess they just wanted to give him an award for... something? As a platitude.

I guess tone deaf must be a manager trait too. I felt really bad for the guy.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Bye.

Our sole architect quit about a month ago. Last week our CIO decided to roll out a massive revamping of our infrastructure in the form of an animated sketch with Gangnam style playing in the background. I’m sure this will go well.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
This thread is really making me appreciate working in a five person company.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

qsvui posted:

4am or 4pm, lol either way

4am to 12pm. It’s great.

Pros:
- I beat traffic
- I get 5 hours of work done before my coworkers show up
- I get to leave at 12pm
- I get to chat with my European friends

Cons:
- I go to bed at 8
- I wake up at 3

Edit: I chose this schedule and I love it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

prom candy posted:

This thread is really making me appreciate working in a five person company.

I’m currently working for a company of similar size and :agreed:.

I feel very fortunate to not have much to complain about at my current job.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My only complaint of substance about my job is immortalized in the current thread title.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

lifg posted:

I love all your stories about EE.

I used to imagine it was a nice little company with a nice little profit stream, and it just accidentally had its lunch eaten by Stack Overflow.

But no. It apparently deserved it.

:tipshat: It absolutely did and still does. One of their employees just got caught trying to add propaganda to their Wikipedia article, which I still watch because it keeps happening.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

expert sex change :dong:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

ChickenWing posted:

expert sex change :dong:

Would you prefer an amateur sex change?

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

I am trying to research Facebook's algorithms and kinda the sociology of algorithms.

Is there someone here who is maybe an expert or has anything to share about them? Point me in the right direction?

I was aware years ago they had an algorithm called EdgeRank but that was apparently phased out in 2011 and they have a machine learning algo with tens of thousands of inputs now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

No one understands how the algorithm works. Not even the people at Facebook.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mweb posted:

I am trying to research Facebook's algorithms and kinda the sociology of algorithms.

Is there someone here who is maybe an expert or has anything to share about them? Point me in the right direction?

I was aware years ago they had an algorithm called EdgeRank but that was apparently phased out in 2011 and they have a machine learning algo with tens of thousands of inputs now.

I believe they use bubblesort now, where posts that are most like your own will "float to the top"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
(The bubbles are full of farts)

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
My manager discussed my annual review with me. Looks like I get to spend another year as an Engineer I
:(

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Faith For Two posted:

My manager discussed my annual review with me. Looks like I get to spend another year as an Engineer I

Go interview dammit! And then say that lack of progress was a reason for leaving.

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

e: duplicate post.

Why do we allow FB to operate an algo it doesn't understand?

mweb fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 19, 2020

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

mweb posted:

e: duplicate post.

Why do we allow FB to operate an algo it doesn't understand?

Who is "we"? What authority does "we" have over how FB operates? Does current law exist that prevents a company from uses processes it "doesn't exist"?

Also, I really dislike the "they don't understand the algorithm" meme. The neural nets they have trained have found non-obvious relationships in data, which is why you use neural nets. They understand the neural nets, developers may not understand the impact of every coefficient in the model but that's because no one cares.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The domains where machine learning has been successfully employed have a few common characteristics, with the biggest one being that the cost of getting something wrong is low. In domains where that cost is higher, the lack of interpretability you have with neural nets (and deep nets in particular) is the single biggest issue that's preventing their widespread use. This is a huge issue that's attracting a lot of attention right now and it's going to continue to do so for quite some time.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Faith For Two posted:

:yotj: time.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Faith For Two posted:

good luck on your job hunt!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I like seeing the degenerate behaviors that FaveBook falls into when you just stop opening it. Like it keeps suggesting the same post to me. And when I do log in, literally every one of the first ten posts is actually interesting. Babies and weddings and such.

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
If scoring 80/100 on an annual review means Achieved Expectations and 91/100 means Achieved Expectations, then wtf does it take to exceed expectations?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Faith For Two posted:

If scoring 80/100 on an annual review means Achieved Expectations and 91/100 means Achieved Expectations, then wtf does it take to exceed expectations?

101/100

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Faith For Two posted:

A new job

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Faith For Two posted:

Your manager liking you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Faith For Two posted:

Giving a 110%