Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1227947757857538048?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:yeshaha:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is this where the Economist advocates a unified Ireland? I mean, that magazine has been around for like 200 years or something, so I wonder if they have directly incited any other bloodshed before.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is this where the Economist advocates a unified Ireland? I mean, that magazine has been around for like 200 years or something, so I wonder if they have directly incited any other bloodshed before.

:getout:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
You're right, that was maybe not the right thing to write. I apologize.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Nice to see that the media actually pushed back just a tiny bit when they realised that Dom Cummings calls to recruit weirdos at Whitehall was just a coded way of him saying he wants to recruit literal Nazis.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/17/boris-johnson-adviser-quits-over-race-and-eugenics-writings

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Dravs posted:

Nice to see that the media actually pushed back just a tiny bit when they realised that Dom Cummings calls to recruit weirdos at Whitehall was just a coded way of him saying he wants to recruit literal Nazis.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/17/boris-johnson-adviser-quits-over-race-and-eugenics-writings

Grauniad blog posted:

Sabisky, a 27-year-old who describes himself as a “superforecaster”

That's a funny way of auto-correcting "superfascist."

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Private Speech posted:

Apparently they can stay in yokohama instead since they tested negative, even.

They'd have to pay for their own food and accomodation though, that might be the issue.

Guess who's just tested positive for the virus?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

ynohtna posted:

That's a funny way of auto-correcting "superfascist."

quote:

Sabisky, a 27-year-old who describes himself as a “superforecaster”, had been contracted to work on special projects for Cummings, who had said in a job ad that he was seeking a team “to find and exploit, without worrying about media noise… ‘very high leverage ideas’ [that] these will almost inevitably seem bad to most.”

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cummings hiring someone into eugenics for ideas that seem bad to most..... Getting definite 'final solution' vibes from this.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Private Speech posted:

Apparently they can stay in yokohama instead since they tested negative, even.

They'd have to pay for their own food and accomodation though, that might be the issue.

They tested positive today lol

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dravs posted:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cummings hiring someone into eugenics for ideas that seem bad to most..... Getting definite 'final solution' vibes from this.

"high leverage" is also insanely loaded

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
A high impact poster perhaps

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Doccykins posted:

They tested positive today lol

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Samurai Sanders posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/monkey-cage/wp/2014/09/05/when-the-economist-blamed-irish-peasants-for-starving-to-death/

quote:

The Economist is going through a firestorm of criticism because it reviewed a book on slavery and suggested it was biased for taking the slaves’ side. The Economist furthermore suggested that slaves’ accounts of cruel treatment from their masters were an unreliable guide to reality because:

quote:

Slave owners surely had a vested interest in keeping their “hands” ever fitter and stronger to pick more cotton. Some of the rise in productivity could have come from better treatment.

The Economist has since apologized for this review and withdrawn it. Even so, its extraordinary blindness to how real life economic power relations work is reminiscent of the magazine’s beginnings in the 19th century, when it fulminated at the very idea that the British government should do anything about the Irish famine that was happening on its doorstep. After all, it was the peasants’ own fault that they were starving. [see quote below]

In both instances, The Economist’s deep-rooted fondness of laissez faire slipped into a shameful tendency to minimize the human costs of those at the wrong end of the system, whether it was those who suffered and were murdered beneath the whip of slavery or those who starved to death, in part thanks to The Economist’s own vigorous advocacy.

twoday has issued a correction as of 14:27 on Feb 18, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i'd need to dig up the quote but theres a real juicy one from the economist telling the government to let indians starve by the millions so that "the indian race will learn that its not the responsibility of the government to keep them alive"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Communist Thoughts posted:

i'd need to dig up the quote but theres a real juicy one from the economist telling the government to let indians starve by the millions so that "the indian race will learn that its not the responsibility of the government to keep them alive"

wasn’t this Churchill’s, like, entire UK-Indian foreign policy?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Dravs posted:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_4J4uor3JE

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/dailystar/status/1229271253300592640?s=20

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Maybe putting Prince Andrew in charge of digital outreach was the wrong move.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
https://twitter.com/AhirShah/status/1229832568822009856

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja5nsOZP5mU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!

Samovar has issued a correction as of 21:43 on Feb 18, 2020

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Bust Rodd posted:

wasn’t this Churchill’s, like, entire UK-Indian foreign policy?

It was but if I'm remembering correctly this is from the Madras famine in the 1870s.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

feels like the moment is over really, i don't see many reasons to be cheerful

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hahahahahahaha get hosed british museum send back all the poo poo you stole

Egypt needs to get on the phone with the EU leaders

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The wikipedia page about them has some choice quotes:

quote:

In 2014, UNESCO offered to mediate between Greece and the United Kingdom to resolve the dispute, although this was later turned down by the British Museum on the basis that UNESCO works with government bodies, not trustees of museums.

More like: Get hosed we're Britain you'd just rule against us.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 01:50 on Feb 19, 2020

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

hahahahahahaha get hosed british museum send back all the poo poo you stole

Egypt needs to get on the phone with the EU leaders

https://twitter.com/AhirShah/status/1229871249523970050?s=20

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

There's a whole loving empty room at the museum at the base of the Acropolis that has a sign in front of it that says "This is where we're gonna put the Elgin Marbles if those fuckers ever give them back"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I went hunting for the pamphlet and found this because of course I did

quote:

The British Museum is Europe’s Western front in the global war over cultural patrimony, on account of the marbles. The pamphlets give the museum’s version for why they should stay in Britain, as they have for two centuries — ever since Lord Elgin, the British ambassador to the Sublime Porte at Constantinople, and with the consent of the ruling Ottomans (not to mention a blithe disregard for whatever may have been the wishes of the Greek populace), spirited them from the Acropolis in Athens. The pamphlet stresses that the British Museum is free and attracts millions of visitors every year from around the world, making the sculptures available to, and putting them in the context of, a wide swath of human civilization.

For their part the Greeks, before their economy collapsed, finally opened the long-delayed New Acropolis Museum last year to much fanfare: it’s an up-to-date facility, forbidding and frankly ugly outside, but airy and light-filled inside, a home-in-waiting for the marbles, whose absence is clearly advertised by bone-white plaster casts of what Elgin took, alongside yellowed originals that he left behind. The view through a broad picture window, eloquent but baleful under the circumstances, looks onto the ruined Parthenon, playing on visitors’ heartstrings. Greeks deem the museum a slam-dunk argument for the marbles’ return.

It’s definitely compelling.

But the British still make the better case.

[...]

But the general question, looting and tourist dollars aside, is why should any objects necessarily reside in the modern nation-state controlling the plot of land where, at one time, perhaps thousands of years earlier, they came from?

[...]

We’re all custodians of global culture for posterity.

Neither today’s Greeks nor Britons own the Parthenon marbles, really.

lmao forever

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
drat those museum dorks know the empire fell forever ago right

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I went hunting for the pamphlet and found this because of course I did

lmao forever

I could see if I could get one for you at the weekend, if you can't find it elsewhere.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Wait so they're more often called the Elgin marbles after the dude that stole them rather than the Greek name for them? Wow.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

What if we do the divorce thing where the Greeks get them on Wednesday and in the weekend and the Brits get them every other weekday and the holidays? By the way, I'm changing the British calendar to be all holidays lol.

-Boris 'BJ BoJo MR U.K' Johnson probably

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Wait so they're more often called the Elgin marbles after the dude that stole them rather than the Greek name for them? Wow.

The power of imperialism baby!

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Just googled the elgin marbles and was surprised to find that it is just like a fresco of sculptured (presumably) marble? Is it weird I just assumed they would be little spheres like the marbles you would play with back in school?

Just give them back to Greece, goodness me, if Brexit is the thing that causes the UK to lose the last echos of its imperialism then that sounds like an unintended good thing.

Also it will make the gammons super mad, maybe Mark Francois will finally blow the blood vessel that causes his face to go that colour.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Found ur twitter account Dravs

https://twitter.com/SamuelMarcLowe/status/1229863611457245184?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dravs posted:

Just googled the elgin marbles and was surprised to find that it is just like a fresco of sculptured (presumably) marble? Is it weird I just assumed they would be little spheres like the marbles you would play with back in school?

Just give them back to Greece, goodness me, if Brexit is the thing that causes the UK to lose the last echos of its imperialism then that sounds like an unintended good thing.

Also it will make the gammons super mad, maybe Mark Francois will finally blow the blood vessel that causes his face to go that colour.

The backwards Greeks cannot be trusted with their own heritage, it must be taken from them. That's why the SAS are going to Athens right now to steal the Acropolis and put it in Middlesbrough

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Elgin is a Star Wars name
Obviously not the original Greek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

This is still the first thing my brain thinks of when they get mentioned. :blush: