Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Satisfactory update (still on experimental branch)

https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/f5vfvr/update_3_patch_notes_early_access_experimental/

quote:

QUALITY OF LIFE

Pipe attachments such as Pipeline Pumps and Junctions can now be placed on Walls and Foundations

Splitters and Mergers now snap onto Conveyor end points and directly onto Conveyor Poles as well

While in Dismantle or Build mode you can now switch to any placed Factory Building by hovering over it and pressing the middle mouse button

Miners and Power Poles can now be upgrade the same way as Conveyor Belts

Added text on the plaques for the three levels of pioneering statues

Tweaked air control and collision on the Factory Cart

Added some custom slurping sounds for the Coffee Cup

BALANCING

Consumable items now require the animation to finish before applying their healing. (And they finally play their animation if you only have one of them equipped)

Fall damage is a bit more linear now

Balanced the foliage drop amounts for all Dune Desert oasis foliage

Wall Power Pole costs have been tweaked

Fluid Freight Platforms and Fluid Freight Cars can now handle 500m3 of fluid instead of 50m3

UI

AWESOME Shop now immediately switches to the Purchases tab if something is purchased that will show up there, such as parts or the Coffee Cup

Changed the text on “Send feedback” button in the escape menu to “Go to feedback site”

Craft Bench categories now properly remember if they are collapsed or not

Added a hover over effect to the Inventory trash slot when dropping parts there

Some AWESOME Shop UI polish (colour tweaking, small fixes)

Added a m3/min stat on Fuel Generators to make the consumption rate more understandable

Tweaks to the Alternate Recipe selection in the MAM

Updated the in-game map so it contains the changes to the Dune Desert

Updated all localisation files with the latest translations

FACTORY

Updated VFX for the Smelter and Coal Generator

Tweaks and polish for several older resources and parts

Polished some of the wall textures

Liquid Fuel colour was changed to orange due to popular demand

Smoke on factory buildings now doesn’t go through objects anymore on VFX quality settings Medium to Ultra (doesn’t work yet on the Nuclear Power Plant and Refinery)

Changed the names of some alternate recipes

Biomass Coal to Biocoal

Wood Coal to Charcoal

WORLD

Tweaked some foliage assets in the western oasis in Dune Desert

Adjusted a few faulty resource nodes in the Dune Desert (not high enough hitbox, hidden in a cliff or that wasn’t removed from an earlier iteration of the Dune Desert)

Fixed some dunes players could fall through

Kapok Trees in the western oasis in Dune Desert now drop Wood

BUG FIXES

The 30 new alternate recipes we added to the game can now actually be unlocked through Hard Drives. Big whoopsie.

Drop Ship on the HUB should no longer be missing

Several rarer crashes have been fixed

The Cybertruck can now be fuelled normally

Removed the grey cube from Grass Fields

Nuclear Generators now actually require water. Whoopsie.

The AWESOME Shop now displays the correct category on opening

The Overclocking target should now take the purity of extractors into consideration

Big inventory slots don’t significantly change window sizes anymore

Factory Cart now has correct interaction text

Fixed z-fighting on the factory legs placed with buildings

Fixed z-fighting on the Foundry

Made sure the hitbox for the Inventory trash slot is correct

Added several missing water volumes to the level

Quick fix for Chainsaw audio issues

“Mark all as read” in Codex should now work on tutorial messages as well

Fixed a typo in Pipeline Pumps UI

Pipes and Hyper Tubes no longer give double refunds when dismantling

Turbo Motor now has the correct mesh

Fixed Oil Refinery position

Factory Cart can no longer be picked up when it is being driven

Fixed a crash on load (and sometimes potentially during game) related to the Object Scanner

The Space Elevator should show the correct values in cost slots now

AWESOME Sink should no longer stop working

It is no longer possible to split stacks in the Coal Generator which results in half the stack disappearing

Reduced the aggressiveness of creature spawning so they don’t spawn in factories anymore

AWESOME Sink should no longer display negative stats

The MAM is now properly removed from the HUB instead of just hidden

Chainsaw now consumes fuel on client

Fixed a FOV issue on the Factory Cart while being held as an equipment

Repositioned the Ladder on the Assembler to the correct position

Camera position in the Factory Cart no longer follows when the Cart flips

The Factory Cart now returns its inventory on Dismantle

Fixed some landscape issues where the player could get stuck

Added a temporary fix for infinite loops in pressure propagation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mayveena posted:

Satisfactory update (still on experimental branch)
Splitters and Mergers now snap onto Conveyor end points and directly onto Conveyor Poles as well

:bisonyes:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good by grass fields grey mass. I will miss you

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

lagidnam posted:

The whole balance of what feels fun to do and the time it takes is a bit off in some areas.

Do you enjoy sitting still holding LMB? The entire appeal of games like this is to make a factory and automate things, I mean it's literally in the name. You're getting upset that it's more difficult to bypass the main purpose of the game.

Frankly I'm surprised that it took this long to do it, now they just need to make it so that only the simple low-tier items can be made by hand, as it should be.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The tool bench should def overheat and stop working

They have the animation in the game already

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

lagidnam posted:

Screws went from 6 for 1 click to 4 screws for 3 clicks. That's 4.5x the time investment. Biofuel is 5 times worse. Modular Frames used to be 1 for 4 but are now 2 for 15 clicks which isn't that bad but if feels so drat slow. It all just adds up.

They wanted to get people to automate more so they increased the numbers a bit.

Then they introduce new items that are only used for the Space Elevator unlocks. One of the Tier 7/8 unlocks is build at one item per minute in the Manufacturer, and you need 500...
Oh, and the special items can't be handcrafted which makes the Craft Bench nerf even more stupid.

The whole balance of what feels fun to do and the time it takes is a bit off in some areas.

Screw usage in recipes went down a lot though - you get less, but you also use way less. Which solves the biggest problem with screws: that your belts never were able to keep up with them. Same with biofuel, your burners can now supply more power so it's much easier to build some automation off them.

It does push you more towards automation than it used to, but it also improves your tools to do so. And things like copper and screws actually stay relevant with the new recipes, so you no longer have to build throwaway production lines.

Overall, I feel that the way to coal power (which is the point where you really shouldn't do any bulk handcrafting anymore) is way smoother than it used to be.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

The tool bench should def overheat and stop working

They have the animation in the game already

Then you just build 10 more tool benches and switch between them.
Add a crafting fatigue to the player, make the ticks gradually take longer to complete.

fezball posted:

Screw usage in recipes went down a lot though - you get less, but you also use way less. Which solves the biggest problem with screws: that your belts never were able to keep up with them.

It was still troublesome for me to move 1500 screws down one floor when I wanted to automate 60 motors, with level 3 belts.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Create a main bus and push your stuff through that way with a load balancer.

I'm in the process of doing that now as my piecemeal stuff isn't working out for the volume I want/need at the moment.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm blanking on what this means:

quote:

While in Dismantle or Build mode you can now switch to any placed Factory Building by hovering over it and pressing the middle mouse button

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bobulus posted:

I'm blanking on what this means:

It's like an eyedropper tool, so whatever you look at and hit MMB it'll bring up a construction overlay for that item. Which is loving incredible because I always wanted this feature :woop:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Being able to elevate splitters/mergers feels like a game changer. That's a truly amazing quality of life fix.

Danimo posted:

I'm still very early and crafting screws, reinforced plates and solid biofuel by hand. Screws and biofuel take much longer in the experimental build, its awful. I'm spending 2-3x more time dealing with biomass burning than before.
Even at the very start you shouldn't be crafting many screws by hand. You've got rod production up, right? Probably going into a box or something. Slap a splitter on your rod belt and make a screw constructor. Doesn't even need an output. Just grab the screws out of the constructor every now and then.

Same with biofuel. Just make a standalone constructor or two near your power stuff and don't even bother with input or output belts- just put a stack of wood in, take a shitton of biomass out later.

These aren't necessarily going to be long term parts of your factory- you'll tear them down when you get better systems up, but it's way better to set up temporary random constructors than to sit there mashing away at a crafting bench.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How do you get tube entrances pointing up? (Or down)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

euphronius posted:

When placing the pole, you click once to choose the base position, and them while you can adjust the height, the mouse wheel rotates the exit.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

You construct them with two clicks. First click locks pitch and position, second click locks yaw. Use the mouse wheel to rotate before each click. You can change the height by looking up/down before the second click.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That doesn’t work for me for the powered opening sections like it does for other things. Maybe I’m doing it wrong

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

euphronius posted:

That doesn’t work for me for the powered opening sections

Place the pole first. The entrance snaps to the pole.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

That doesn’t work for me for the powered opening sections

Place a pole first, then build a tube from the pole, then place the entry on the pole.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Got it. Thank you.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speaking of hand-crafting items, did y'all notice that the recipe for rifle cartridges changed? Before it was just nobelisk + pipe, now it's a four-item recipe. Not the end of the world, but I'll have to change my construction setup slightly to accommodate it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I loving knew that trash icon was busted.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Eiba posted:

Even at the very start you shouldn't be crafting many screws by hand. You've got rod production up, right? Probably going into a box or something. Slap a splitter on your rod belt and make a screw constructor. Doesn't even need an output. Just grab the screws out of the constructor every now and then.

Same with biofuel. Just make a standalone constructor or two near your power stuff and don't even bother with input or output belts- just put a stack of wood in, take a shitton of biomass out later.

yeah I just got screw production up and going, and biomass->biofuel contructors will going up next once I unlock the chainsaw. I just got distracted by trying to build an actual factory building and playing with splitters and vertical conveyors and spent a lot of the local biomass on running plate and cement constructors.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
I found an alternate recipe using iron bars for screws rather than iron rods, and it has made some of my production lines so much simpler.

I need to go on a hunt to track down as many alternate recipes as possible.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hamelekim posted:

I found an alternate recipe using iron bars for screws rather than iron rods, and it has made some of my production lines so much simpler.

I need to go on a hunt to track down as many alternate recipes as possible.

Not just that, but it's faster too unless I misread.

There are vertical lifts to bring components up, but is there anything that does the reverse and brings things down? The only thing I can see is to do the regular switchback down with steps due to max height.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Volmarias posted:

There are vertical lifts to bring components up, but is there anything that does the reverse and brings things down? The only thing I can see is to do the regular switchback down with steps due to max height.

Conveyor lifts go down too. Just start from the top.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Volmarias posted:

The lifts go both ways, you just have to start at the end of the upper belt and then drag down

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat, either something about the patch broke my water situation or my coal generators have been thirsty for water for a while and I wasn't aware. Need to redo everything.

All aliens have respawned too.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Danimo posted:

The lifts go both ways, you just have to start at the end of the upper belt and then drag down

Or build a belt on the lower end going away in the direction you want the items to move when they arrive, then build the lift off that end.

Speedball posted:

drat, either something about the patch broke my water situation or my coal generators have been thirsty for water for a while and I wasn't aware. Need to redo everything.

All aliens have respawned too.

There was a bug in one of the previous experimentals with water pumps not starting up after a reload, and you'd have to rebuild them.
They fixed that, but broken pumps will still need to be rebuilt.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Eiba posted:

Being able to elevate splitters/mergers feels like a game changer. That's a truly amazing quality of life fix.

Is this just stacking them or something else?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
If they really wanted me automate early they'd reduce the power consumption of machines so I could have more than one miner and a smelter on the initial hub generator.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would like signs which showed up on the map.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Lexorin posted:

Is this just stacking them or something else?

The most recent experimental patch:

quote:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

nielsm posted:

Or build a belt on the lower end going away in the direction you want the items to move when they arrive, then build the lift off that end.

Tenebrais posted:

Conveyor lifts go down too. Just start from the top.

Danimo posted:

Shoot, I tried that and it didn't go down, but I may have been too close to the edge. I'll try again, thanks!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

euphronius posted:

You mean like beacons? Or do you mean "map" as in the actual terrain?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Think I've actually hit the point where I need to build that monorail. I have most of the necessities for building stuff at one base, but plastics and oil at a further secondary base I've made, and I can't just keep hypertubing between the two all the time to fetch materials. So it's train time. The journey is a little long for building any conveyor belts. I *guess* I could also use an automated truck, I'd need to get fuel to it on both sides, but hey.

This is going to take so much time to build. Haha. At least my power situation has been finally sorted.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

euphronius posted:

I want signs that I can put above my tubes telling me, or others, where they go.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Volmarias posted:

Shoot, I tried that and it didn't go down, but I may have been too close to the edge. I'll try again, thanks!

Post a screenshot? It should be just like laying any other belt, just vertical. Shouldn't matter how close to edges you are, the lift will snap.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

YO is there a discord or anything for Multiplayer Games?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tertius Oculum posted:

YO is there a discord or anything for Multiplayer Games?

https://discord.gg/vswN2s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I haven't played this latest patch yet but I remember, after buying this game and playing it the last time, being extremely surprised and a bit annoyed with how slow automation felt, especially compared to just manually crafting the same stuff at your workbench. I guess I'm not playing the game right or I'm at least in the minority here because most of you guys seem to think the workbench should overheat/it shouldn't be as versatile/the player should have a cool down on crafting or whatever.

I don't quite understand that to be honest. I get that the "purpose" of the game is to build automation but instead of nerfing the work bench or introducing some random rear end penalties for it, how about bringing automation up to speed? Buffs are always better than Nerfs imho, in almost all cases. I used to play this game with an external tool that held my LMB down after I pressed CTRL-F and went to grab a coffee, because even tho it's infinitely more boring, it's also infinitely faster than having the same poo poo produced through my production line.

Take reinforced iron plates for example. I had ore collectors feed into refineries, which fed into two manufacturers that produced (back then) iron plates and screws that obviously fed into another thing that then produced the reinforced iron plates. By the time that production line produced 10 reinforced iron plates I had like 100 or something from just portable miner ore and producing all the individual parts at my workbench. It's like, wrong by a factor of 5 or 10 or something, even when everything is reasonably overclocked.

Supposedly the solution for you guys would be to just build more. Ten more of these construction chains and I'd be at about the same speed. But I guess for me, the goal is more in getting to the next tier and seeing what new cool poo poo I can build, and not necessarily to expand my whole factory by a factor of 10 just to exponentially having to increase its size again once the next tier with the next, more intricate recipes rolls around.

Either way, my point is I personally would rather have them speed up automation (not necessarily by the massive factors I mentioned earlier) rather than nerf the versatility and all the stuff you can do at your work bench :shrug: