Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Well lets give it that, DS9 introduced all these settings in a more...elegant way. It was a story based on setting and we learn the setting through a story. What we had now in PIC introductions was a way more aggressive and dumbified version of intros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Missed both points there, sorry.

No worries, I wasn't that clear with it.

I really enjoy aspects of this show, and am trying to see what it can be. I'm hopeful for the rest of the season, but I really, really, really don't want them to do a Romulans created the Borg story. That completely ruins everything about the Borg, and them being something entirely alien from an area of space we don't know, like Q intended.

I'd be okay with Lore coming back, but he has to have different motivations. Honestly, even though I love the idea of the supernova being either natural or Romulans loving with singularities too much, the idea from above about Lore blowing up the sun as revenge for Data is kinda a better idea than not.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Borg were already ruined by Voyager. By loving Descent even, I never cared for that 2 parter, though Data trying to get mad at a holo-Borg is a good scene.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

They should just go whole hog and do the Zombieland/Suicide Squad thing of having an overproduced name title and pithy discription animate over a shot of the character they are introducing. Like the Romulan Ronin it would slice in like a sword with a swish sound.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 18, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

*flying in from left and right* Seven. Of. Nine. *subtitle* Former Borg. Got better.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

This guy gets it.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Borderlands-styled even!

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Borg go wild on Romulan cube, Hugh kills one in self-defense, looks at Romulans

"Borg Kill of the Century?"

*Voiceover, let's say Wil Wheaton:

"Close, but that would go to Captain Picard on Stardate 50893.5/April 5th 2063, let's take a look:"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MichiganCubbie posted:

Borg go wild on Romulan cube, Hugh kills one in self-defense, looks at Romulans

"Borg Kill of the Century?"

*Voiceover, let's say Wil Wheaton:

"Close, but that would go to Captain Picard on Stardate 50893.5/April 5th 2063, let's take a look:"

Does...does it look like he almost enjoys this

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MichiganCubbie posted:

Not a broadly correct opinion about the entire show, but people who think that Zhaban and Laris aren't the best characters in the show and deserve way more screentime are absolutely wrong.
They're tied for second but the number one character is obviously Number One

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

zoux posted:

Does...does it look like he almost enjoys this

That's meant to be kinda the whole theme, I'm pretty sure.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

kidkissinger posted:

What's the thread consensus on Picard? Just caught up and, while I do enjoy seeing Stewart in this role again, the show doesn't really work for me. Seems like they tried to Game of Thrones it up with a lot of pretty stilted drama.

Overall I'm liking it, but man, is it ever taking its sweet time to get anywhere.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Not a broadly correct opinion about the entire show, but people who think that Zhaban and Laris aren't the best characters in the show and deserve way more screentime are absolutely wrong.

Agreed. The show finally gets out into space to go have adventures, and they leave their two best characters at home! :mad: They'd better turn up again.

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this whole fuckin show should be about laris

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zoux posted:

*flying in from left and right* Seven. Of. Nine. *subtitle* Former Borg. Got better.

Narek & Narissa: Siblings (in arms [we hope])

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How did Voyager ruin The Borg? Seems like a lot of the cool Borg stuff went down in Voyager. Seven, Da Borg Babies, Aliens who could kick the Borgs rear end, holgramborg.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

How did Voyager ruin The Borg? Seems like a lot of the cool Borg stuff went down in Voyager. Seven, Da Borg Babies, Aliens who could kick the Borgs rear end, holgramborg.

It's as simple as the difference between one cube wrecking poo poo at wolf 359 and one pissy science vessel clowning dozens of cubes

I mean there are countless examples, but that's the thrust

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think Voyager’s Doc came up with like three different cures for assimilation.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The borg were scary because for the longest time they were portrayed as a force of nature, then voyager gave them names, faces and a voice, and it went downhill from there.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Bloop posted:

It's as simple as the difference between one cube wrecking poo poo at wolf 359 and one pissy science vessel clowning dozens of cubes

Yeah. Also while Voyager didn't introduce the Borg Queen, they did continue with that poo poo. loving up one of the coolest things about the Borg, the totally alien unknowable hive mind.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AntherUslessPoster posted:

In the end of the ep5 trailer there's someone falling on the floor around the moment they namedrop 'Maddox'.
A clue? No credits for Maddox role for ep5 on imdb.

I mean, IMDb often relies on user submissions for it's data info, so he probably wouldn't be listed until he's confirmed in it when people see the episode.

HD DAD posted:

I recently read somewhere that a fan asked Brian Brophy if he was reprising Maddox, and apparently that was the first he’d heard he was coming back. :(

Oh. Well that's a little more concrete, though he could have been told to keep it under wraps.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I mostly agree, but the scene where they're in that apartment and Laris recreates the data with whatever techno mumbo jumbo that just kept going really pissed me off and made me lose some interest in her character. Not really her fault, the whole scene was dumb as hell.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I mostly agree, but the scene where they're in that apartment and Laris recreates the data with whatever techno mumbo jumbo that just kept going really pissed me off and made me lose some interest in her character. Not really her fault, the whole scene was dumb as hell.

The bit where she extracted data from the wiped computer from the errors where the computer mistook the twins was clever and made a lot of sense, by the standards of Star Trek technobabble.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's meant to be kinda the whole theme, I'm pretty sure.

How dare you

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I had assumed that Maddox was the guy you see dropping a glass and falling over at the beginning of the e5 preview, right at the moment Picard says "Bruce Maddox"

Which, if true, doesn't really bode well IMO, because it makes it seem like the plot will be space gamblers have taken him hostage due to unpaid debts incurred on Freecloud

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What Laris said sounded like the Body Wash did a poor job of wiping the computer. Didn't even reformat after deleting the files. It was comprehensible on a level we haven't seen since early TNG.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I sometimes wonder how one-shot Star Trek guest stars feel knowing that that one unremarkable week-long acting gig they did 30 years ago is the only reason anyone knows who they are. And that whenever they do eventually die, that'll be the leader in every obit article: [Actor Name], Star Trek's [Character Name], died Monday evening at home after a long battle with [ailment]. If they're lucky, there'll be a sentence or two later on in the article about the entire rest of their career, including all the work they're actually proud of.

Oh. I made myself sad. :(

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

marktheando posted:

The bit where she extracted data from the wiped computer from the errors where the computer mistook the twins was clever and made a lot of sense, by the standards of Star Trek technobabble.

I also thought that was remarkably clever as a computer error for Star Trek.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MichiganCubbie posted:

I also thought that was remarkably clever as a computer error for Star Trek.

I don't know anything about computer forensics, so it passed the Star Trek science test of sounding vaguely plausible to someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

they deleted the entries from the file table but not the data itself. data recovery people deal with this every day.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

Don't. I hope they are happy that even if they played locally in a local theater, a lot more people who will never even visit their country know and love them. Isn't that beautiful?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

I sometimes wonder how one-shot Star Trek guest stars feel knowing that that one unremarkable week-long acting gig they did 30 years ago is the only reason anyone knows who they are. And that whenever they do eventually die, that'll be the leader in every obit article: [Actor Name], Star Trek's [Character Name], died Monday evening at home after a long battle with [ailment]. If they're lucky, there'll be a sentence or two later on in the article about the entire rest of their career, including all the work they're actually proud of.

There’s a documentary about “that guy” where they interview a bunch of those ubiquitous character actors and there’s a section about the obligatory Trek role they all had

E: It’s called “that guy who was in that thing”

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kidkissinger posted:

they deleted the entries from the file table but not the data itself. data recovery people deal with this every day.

But why didn't the double super secret Romulan CIA also delete the data itself?

I'll admit, I kind of glazed over for the explanation, because it was just her talking to herself while swiping at the see through screen, and I was like, "I get it, you'll find the data, move on please", so this is probably more on me than the show.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

zoux posted:

There’s a documentary about “that guy” where they interview a bunch of those ubiquitous character actors and there’s a section about the obligatory Trek role they all had

https://www.youtube.com/user/NoSmallPartsShow

This youtube channel has a bunch of videos about these actors, too. It's been sitting in my "watch later" section for a bit so I can't attest to the quality, but I heard it's good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

This is a fantastic documentary, btw. Everyone should watch it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

There’s a similar one about all the bit actors in Star Wars called Elstree 1976. It’s pretty good.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

But why didn't the double super secret Romulan CIA also delete the data itself?

You could argue that being too thorough would be suspicious all by itself. Imagine if the police were examining the home of a missing person, and there were no fingerprints. At all. Anywhere. Not even the missing person's own, on places like the kitchen cabinets and the door knobs. That right there would tell them that Something Happened Here and the bad guys were a little too overzealous about removing the evidence of it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

zoux posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s a similar one about all the bit actors in Star Wars called Elstree 1976. It’s pretty good.

I shall look both of these up. Thank you! :tipshat:

e: This one too:

MichiganCubbie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/NoSmallPartsShow

This youtube channel has a bunch of videos about these actors, too. It's been sitting in my "watch later" section for a bit so I can't attest to the quality, but I heard it's good.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 18, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think Voyager’s Doc came up with like three different cures for assimilation.

People poo poo on Voyager for sucking all the time they fail to notice how much better they all are at doing poo poo than the weenies who are always floating around suckling distance from wetnurse federation. Janeway's Chaotic Neutral Captaineering, Kirk style shoot-from-the-hip attitude enables the crew to get a lot of ethically funky stuff done in short order. I think The Doctor is just the perfect proof that Holographic Intelligence and lifeforms are amazingly underutilized. Federation people be tripping over themselves when they meet Data

marktheando posted:

Yeah. Also while Voyager didn't introduce the Borg Queen, they did continue with that poo poo. loving up one of the coolest things about the Borg, the totally alien unknowable hive mind.

My Voyager apologism aside, I really do blame the tng/movie Queen thing to be what permanently de-escalated the Borg in terms of the power/mystique of Hive Mind aliens. Once they established that poo poo and locutus and junk, it's all over. The stuff Voyager did was stuff that was enabled and decided the moment they changed the Borg to just be aliens with an incredibly obtuse culture.

As it stand, the Borg's weaknesses have gotten a little too goofy. I think they could easily make a secret scary DoubleBorg that takes all the stuff that make the Borg a nigh-unstoppable force, and combine it with the stuff that makes Humanity nigh Borg-proof. That does not, should not, does not, and cannot mean just assigning a special human relations manager into the species, which seems to be their main idea of doing Borg stuff.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

The Bloop posted:

There is no consensus other than It's Not As Good As It Could Be

There's the I Hate Everything contingent ragequitting after every episode (but still watching again and hanging around)
There's the Just Enjoy Things contingent
There's the Give It Time contingent
There's the Everything is Symbolism contingent
There's the Logic Extremists
There's the Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy
and finally

There's me, with the only objectively correct opinions about Star Trek

(note that "me" is a placeholder for whoever is reading this post)

I'm somewhere between Hate Everything, Give It Time and "me".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've never had a problem with the Borg queen

She states a bunch of seemingly contradictory things, exists in 4 dimensions (maybe), and is probably merely one avatar of the collective

Frankly, I don't think the Borg know she exists per se, and also she might not be what she thinks she is or what she claims to be. She could just be a memetic tumor, a concept from some race they assimilated that they can't get rid of. There might be Borg antibodies fighting against her influence, a power struggle within the collective.

It's another layer of mystery unless you take it super literally like she is a human style monarch. Even in an insect hive the queen isn't "in charge", she just has a different job than the other critters, and they aren't really aware of anything beyond their feelers even though they are capable of great works collectively. The idea that a termite mound or bee hive may in some way be a collective organism worth considering in its own right is how I have always viewed the Borg, and them having a sexy queen doesn't negate that in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Khanstant posted:

My Voyager apologism aside, I really do blame the tng/movie Queen thing to be what permanently de-escalated the Borg in terms of the power/mystique of Hive Mind aliens. Once they established that poo poo and locutus and junk, it's all over. The stuff Voyager did was stuff that was enabled and decided the moment they changed the Borg to just be aliens with an incredibly obtuse culture.

The thing that gets me about the Queen is that Locutus was a very unique entity: a spokesman for the Borg. A face to give to the enemy, after analyzing the Federation and determining that this was the appropriate way to assimilate. If this is the case, why was the Queen already in existence and knew/was around Locutus? She would have been fine as a "new" Locutus, developed as a "native" mouthpiece of the Borg, but making her exist at the time of BoBW takes away the core concept of the Borg, and the idea that they kinda went out of their comfort zone to make dealing with the Alpha Quadrant easier.