Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Writer Brannon Braga has stated in this respect, "I think some people liked the Borg Queen and some didn't, but to us the Borg Queen was the thing that made it all work. We realized very quickly that the Borg aren't that interesting for a feature film for two hours because they don't say anything. They're robot zombies. So, to me, the Borg Queen was the coolest new thing about that movie."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MichiganCubbie posted:

The thing that gets me about the Queen is that Locutus was a very unique entity: a spokesman for the Borg. A face to give to the enemy, after analyzing the Federation and determining that this was the appropriate way to assimilate. If this is the case, why was the Queen already in existence and knew/was around Locutus? She would have been fine as a "new" Locutus, developed as a "native" mouthpiece of the Borg, but making her exist at the time of BoBW takes away the core concept of the Borg, and the idea that they kinda went out of their comfort zone to make dealing with the Alpha Quadrant easier.

But who told you those things? The Borg? Reliable sources? Top. Men.?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

zoux posted:

Writer Brannon Braga has stated in this respect, "I think some people liked the Borg Queen and some didn't, but to us the Borg Queen was the thing that made it all work. We realized very quickly that the Borg aren't that interesting for a feature film for two hours because they don't say anything. They're robot zombies. So, to me, the Borg Queen was the coolest new thing about that movie."

That's because you need to view the Borg as a force of nature. An unstoppable force that takes those you know and love and destroys everything about them. It's haunting when you see those you know as Borg. Ensign Lynch and Lt. Hawk could have become what they wanted with the Queen. Hell, have the guts to assimilate a main bridge officer and then not save him/her. What if we see Crusher assimilated, and then we can't save her? That's interesting and has a ton of potential.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Borg Queen is boring because she’s just a villain who tries to do evil plots and gets foiled (and foiled, and foiled...) The amoral and indifferent quality of the Borg was what made them a great enemy for TNG — they didn’t even care. Locutus could get abducted to the Enterprise and just sit right there totally unworried going “this is fine, you will still get assimilated”. Unfortunately this doesn’t scale well at all. The more you bring the Borg back, the more times they lose, the dumber they look. The only way to make the Borg work was to stop beating the concept to death, but they couldn’t do it.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

skasion posted:

The Borg Queen is boring because she’s just a villain who tries to do evil plots and gets foiled (and foiled, and foiled...) The amoral and indifferent quality of the Borg was what made them a great enemy for TNG — they didn’t even care. Locutus could get abducted to the Enterprise and just sit right there totally unworried going “this is fine, you will still get assimilated”. Unfortunately this doesn’t scale well at all. The more you bring the Borg back, the more times they lose, the dumber they look. The only way to make the Borg work was to stop beating the concept to death, but they couldn’t do it.

Much like the Weeping Angels in Doctor Who. Amazing villains the first time. Decent the second time. Eventually you're laughing at a Weeping Statue of Liberty.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MichiganCubbie posted:

That's because you need to view the Borg as a force of nature. An unstoppable force that takes those you know and love and destroys everything about them. It's haunting when you see those you know as Borg. Ensign Lynch and Lt. Hawk could have become what they wanted with the Queen. Hell, have the guts to assimilate a main bridge officer and then not save him/her. What if we see Crusher assimilated, and then we can't save her? That's interesting and has a ton of potential.

Paramount/Berman isn't going to allow them to do anything that drastic. They couldn't even kill off Spock for real.

Brannon Braga is a moron but I expect better out of RDM.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

zoux posted:

I'm blown away by how stupid this take is on multiple levels. Does he not know that many good zombie movies exist? Is he saying the previous 'robot zombie' Borg stories weren't that interesting? I mean, gently caress.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MichiganCubbie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/NoSmallPartsShow

This youtube channel has a bunch of videos about these actors, too. It's been sitting in my "watch later" section for a bit so I can't attest to the quality, but I heard it's good.

No Small Parts was actually produced by a goon, and it is excellent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

marktheando posted:

I'm blown away by how stupid this take is on multiple levels. Does he not know that many good zombie movies exist? Is he saying the previous 'robot zombie' Borg stories weren't that interesting? I mean, gently caress.

Braga wrote Threshold

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Brannon Braga posted:

My greatest fantasy is to be with that fifty-foot woman from those 1950s sci-fi films. That would be the ultimate: To actually crawl up into a vagina.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

marktheando posted:

The guy is a lickspittle hack who got to his position by being Berman's yes man. Of course he believes this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well broken clocks and all

Also poor Jeri Ryan lol

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

But why didn't the double super secret Romulan CIA also delete the data itself?

I'll admit, I kind of glazed over for the explanation, because it was just her talking to herself while swiping at the see through screen, and I was like, "I get it, you'll find the data, move on please", so this is probably more on me than the show.

Like most intelligence organizations (CIA, FBI, etc.) They are actually incompetent racists huffing their own farts.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I hope Bruce Maddox got plastic surgery to look like Data and Brent Spiner plays him and that's also the source of his debts and why the crew has to save him. For the costumes just say that everyone on Freecloud dresses like that normally.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

What Brannon Braga means is he is incapable of writing an interesting robot zombie story without a shtick.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Dysgenesis posted:

What Brannon Braga means is he is incapable of writing an interesting robot zombie story without a shtick.

They could have had scenes from the point of view of someone whose planet is being assimilated as it's being assimilated. That'd probably be too expensive to show in a TV show, seeing as how Fear the Walking Dead had hardly any crowd scenes because of it, but they could have done it during the movie

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dysgenesis posted:

Yeah he oversaw the neutering of the Borg as head writer (not sure who the showrunner was because back then we didn't know such people existed) for VOY.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Yeah he oversaw the neutering of the Borg as head writer (not sure who the showrunner was because back then we didn't know such people existed) for VOY.

Jeri Taylor was the show runner for seasons 3 and 4 when the Borg were introduced to VOY. She also oversaw the sex ghost season of TNG, for reference.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

HD DAD posted:

Jeri Taylor was the show runner for seasons 3 and 4 when the Borg were introduced to VOY. She also oversaw the sex ghost season of TNG, for reference.

She has a "story by" credit on Sub Rosa even (Braga has the teleplay credit)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When were the "Borg get bodied by Species 93837983283" eps and when were the "Borg get bodied by an Intrepid-class science vessel" eps? I thought the 7 of 9 stuff was pretty well received, how much Borgery was there in s3/4

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Does the term 'showrunner' (in the modern sense where it's one persons vision driving the show) really apply to Star Trek in that period? Seems like there were a few people at the top to blame/praise.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

Does the term 'showrunner' (in the modern sense where it's one persons vision driving the show) really apply to Star Trek in that period? Seems like there were a few people at the top to blame/praise.

“Showrunner” in terms of 90s Trek was the person who ran the writers room and spearheaded most of the stories for the show. They typically answered directly to Rick Berman, who would also occasionally throw in his own ideas.

Showrunners, from what I recall:

TNG seasons 1-2: A rotating clusterfuck
TNG seasons 3-6: Michael Piller
TNG season 7: Jeri Taylor
DS9 seasons 1-2: Michael Piller
DS9 seasons 3-7: Ira Behr
VOY seasons 1-2: Michael Piller
VOY seasons 3-4: Jeri Taylor
VOY seasons 5–6: Braga
VOY season 7: Kenneth Biller
ENT seasons 1-3: Berman & Braga
ENT season 4: Manny Coto

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

For sure it applies. it’s not like any whole season was solely Braga’s work or anything, but he signed off on every script from seasons 5-6 as executive producer and head of the writing staff. A showrunner doesn’t need to be an auteur.

skasion fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 18, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HD DAD posted:

“Showrunner” in terms of 90s Trek was the person who ran the writers room and spearheaded most of the stories for the show. They typically answered directly to Rick Berman, who would also occasionally throw in his own ideas.

Showrunners, from what I recall:

TNG seasons 1-2: A rotating clusterfuck
TNG seasons 3-6: Michael Piller
TNG season 7: Jeri Taylor
DS9 seasons 1-2: Michael Piller
DS9 seasons 3-7: Ira Behr
VOY seasons 1-2: Michael Piller
VOY seasons 3-4: Jeri Taylor
VOY seasons 5–6: Braga
VOY season 7: Kenneth Biller
ENT seasons 1-3: Berman & Braga
ENT season 4: Manny Coto

Piller and Behr were the best showrunners. I'm not sure that Piller was showrunner in s3 of TNG because I remember an interview with him about writing BoBW pt. 1 that he didn't worry about the resolution to the cliffhanger because he didn't think he'd be back next season so that was someone else's problem.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

Piller and Behr were the best showrunners. I'm not sure that Piller was showrunner in s3 of TNG because I remember an interview with him about writing BoBW pt. 1 that he didn't worry about the resolution to the cliffhanger because he didn't think he'd be back next season so that was someone else's problem.

Piller became head writer partway through S3. They brought in some guy to replace Hurley who couldn’t hack it and Piller took over. Berman was the one who was really in charge but Piller did the creative labor mostly. He probably didn’t expect to be around for more than a season because TNG’s production to that point had been a clusterfuck. It’s only in retrospect that TNG S3 looks like the start of “normal TNG”.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The next generation had four really good seasons Dana and one pretty good seasons. Season 1 has more clunkers than season 7 but neither are good.

Season 5 is when the :techno: got bad, with inventing particles and fields that would never return left right and center. Voyager would continue that stupid tradition.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Arglebargle III posted:

The next generation had four really good seasons Dana and one pretty good seasons. Season 1 has more clunkers than season 7 but neither are good.

Season 5 is when the :techno: got bad, with inventing particles and fields that would never return left right and center. Voyager would continue that stupid tradition.

I enjoy TNG Season 7 more than most people, but I view that more as the direct precursor to Voyager. Stylistically it really is “Season 0”.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Arglebargle III posted:

The next generation had four really good seasons Dana and one pretty good seasons.

Who's Dana? Why are you mansplaining to her? (or him)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tough little ship.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

zoux posted:

Tough little ship.

That's one of the things that's kinda cool about the Equinox two parter is seeing, intentionally or otherwise, how badly the Delta Quadrant would gently caress up any other Federation starship not protected by plot armor. The Equinox is what Voyager would have been if it actually played to its premise instead of being the Status Quo Show.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Isometric Bacon posted:

The general shrouding and mystery around him makes me think we aren't going to actually meet him in this series, and it will turn out he's already dead or some other person or being has been impersonating him or something. That or he won't be cast till a later season.

Otherwise I feel we would have seen him already.
Spoiler if you avoid the "next episode" stuff. He's in the post-episode "next time, on Picard" and it's some dude who looks like Fidel Castro.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 18, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DaveKap posted:

Spoiler if you avoid the "next episode" stuff. He's in the post-episode "next time, on Picard" and it's some dude who looks like Fidel Castro.

Yeah I mentioned this last page but it got lost in the shuffle. They show him right as Picard's voiceover says 'Bruce Maddox' too

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Powered Descent posted:

I sometimes wonder how one-shot Star Trek guest stars feel knowing that that one unremarkable week-long acting gig they did 30 years ago is the only reason anyone knows who they are. And that whenever they do eventually die, that'll be the leader in every obit article: [Actor Name], Star Trek's [Character Name], died Monday evening at home after a long battle with [ailment]. If they're lucky, there'll be a sentence or two later on in the article about the entire rest of their career, including all the work they're actually proud of.

Oh. I made myself sad. :(

so what bit part did you have in early TNG, chum?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's Skant Guy from the pilot

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Admiral Bosch posted:

L E L A N D
T
L Y N C H

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Admiral Bosch posted:

Wouldn't it be funny if I turned out to be Denise Crosby?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If I could be any one-off Trek guest character, I’d be Berlinghoff Rasmussen because he’s got an S-tier name.

Also he’s Max Headroom.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

DIS S01E06: The B plot with Lorca was good. The "you're not who I thought you were anymore" and looking into a window as a mirror moments were nice foreshadowing. The introduction with Burnham's banter with Tally was as good as any Star Trek opener before the weirdness starts, but then the actual A plot with Burnham and Sarek seemed to drag on forever compared to the previous episodes.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The borg were scary because for the longest time they were portrayed as a force of nature, then voyager gave them names, faces and a voice, and it went downhill from there.

Noted Voyager episode, "I, Borg".