Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Rad-daddio posted:

One thing about Bob Lazar's story was interesting, though.

He apparently took his friends out to watch some kind of night time display of flying lights out at Area 51(and he knew what time those lights would be showing up), and that's when he got busted by base security.

There isn't a really good explanation for the stuff he and his friends were watching. The Otherhand guy mentions that it might've been some kind of plasma generator, but he goes on to say that his info re: that was from a source that he didn't want to reveal.

I mean, I'm sure it's not aliens or crashed UFO tech, but it's still a question mark.

Yeah, what he was edging into talking about was non-triangulatable high-power radar tracking via a distributed aerial system of airborne refractors to eliminate tracking of a singular ground transmitter, which made a lot of sense to me as a dumb layman. They have missiles that track radar transmitters so if you can mask the source you eliminate that threat.

I worked with dynamically targeted microwave retransmitters that could do the same thing (albeit ground-based) in the military a long time back and it's not nuts that the same principles could be applied to a slowish aerial craft. Instead of an omnidirectional broadcast like a radio transmitter, think a concentrated beam of blazingly energetic boomwow that can basically cook things in its path. Instead of one transmitter shining a beam to one receiver via line-of-sight, you can set up several 'reflector' retransmission points to extend the range over terrain features and effecively hide the source. I imagine with radar it could work almost as the inverse: a transmitter sends a ping to a mobile aerial refractor, and the bounce back is picked up by an aerial receiver that sends it back to the brain on the ground. Crazy power would be needed for these targeted signals-- the kind that could maybe make air on the receiver flouresce-- but it's still more based in reality than alienzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Yeah, what he was edging into talking about was non-triangulatable high-power radar tracking via a distributed aerial system of airborne refractors to eliminate tracking of a singular ground transmitter, which made a lot of sense to me as a dumb layman. They have missiles that track radar transmitters so if you can mask the source you eliminate that threat.

I worked with dynamically targeted microwave retransmitters that could do the same thing (albeit ground-based) in the military a long time back and it's not nuts that the same principles could be applied to a slowish aerial craft. Instead of an omnidirectional broadcast like a radio transmitter, think a concentrated beam of blazingly energetic boomwow that can basically cook things in its path. Instead of one transmitter shining a beam to one receiver via line-of-sight, you can set up several 'reflector' retransmission points to extend the range over terrain features and effecively hide the source. I imagine with radar it could work almost as the inverse: a transmitter sends a ping to a mobile aerial refractor, and the bounce back is picked up by an aerial receiver that sends it back to the brain on the ground. Crazy power would be needed for these targeted signals-- the kind that could maybe make air on the receiver flouresce-- but it's still more based in reality than alienzz.

Are you Scotty IRL???

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

soy posted:

Are you Scotty IRL???

I don't have a cool job or missing fingers, sadly

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Colonel Cancer posted:

If they are spacecraft how come we never see them in space huh smart guy?

Clearly they are just alien leisure planes.

DC10s full of thetans.

Praise Xenu.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Reminder that UFOs are real and might be probing you at this very moment

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/research/a30916275/government-secret-ufo-program-investigation/

quote:

After months of conducting interviews and uncovering previously undisclosed materials, Popular Mechanics is revealing here that the U.S. government does indeed have a definite interest in UFOs.

Provided, of course, that nobody says it out loud.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Frankly, at this point, I have no idea what to think about UFO's. As a kid I loved the idea of UFO's and was interested in them. As I got into my 20's I started to be more cynical about UFO's and their believers. The UFO community is absolutely chock full of weirdos, idiots and the mentally ill. If there were any true information about UFO's, it's been tainted with the stink of over-zealous enthusiasts.

That said, after watching some interviews with military guys and seeing some interesting videos, I'm starting to think that these things could be real. There have been a number of genuinely credible (mostly military) people coming out of the woodwork talking about the phenomena. That coupled with a shitload of commercial aviation reports of these kinds of craft makes me wonder. Also, when world governments take something seriously, I'm inclined to believe that *something* is happening, what that is I don't know. I mean, it's not like governments have reporting infrastructure for ghosts , demons or leprechauns but they do for UFO's.

A guy like Bob Lazar could very well be telling the truth, or at the very least his story could be very well researched. One thing I found interesting about his story is that the craft he describes works in a very similar way to the Alcubierre Drive proposed a few years after he initially came out with his story. Also, to get his mother, wife and friends to corroborate aspects of things that happened in terms of his living history would be difficult, though not impossible. Not to mention the bone scanning hand scanner that was stated to not exist, does in fact exist. However, I was never that impressed with the element 115 prediction since they knew the predicted islands of stability well beforehand and that he could've simply said to himself "hmmm, we're not too far off synthesizing 115, I'll say it's that". Frankly, who knows... *shrug*

Anyways, ultimately, it doesn't matter if we believe in them or not really since they don't seem to affect our lives in any meaningful way. I mean it's fun to ponder their intentions if they do exist but I doubt even our wildest imaginations could come up with whatever mundane reason they would be here for. Making assumptions about whether there are or aren't aliens out there based on our extremely limited knowledge of the universe is folly. As it stands, as far as we know, we have no physical evidence of UFO's anywhere so I'm inclined to stay skeptical but curious.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
powerful enough to travel between stars but too stupid to hide themselves as they practice doing barrel rolls through our atmosphere in broad daylight

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Aliens are real!..

REAL GAY! :hehe:

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
scientist 1: we're going to observe this isolated primitive tribe. we could use drones or satellites or whatever and capture information in ways that these people can't even comprehend or detect

scientist 2: nah let's strip naked and swing through the trees with some disposable polaroids

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm gonna go with scientist #2.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

YoungSexualNorton posted:

scientist 1: we're going to observe this isolated primitive tribe. we could use drones or satellites or whatever and capture information in ways that these people can't even comprehend or detect

scientist 2: nah let's strip naked and swing through the trees with some disposable polaroids

We're making the assumption that they're here to study us and/or that they care that we see them. It is entirely likely that we would be completely uninteresting to some hypothetical alien.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Maybe aliens butts have atrophied so they come to probe ours :thunk:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Tarkus posted:

We're making the assumption that they're here to study us and/or that they care that we see them. It is entirely likely that we would be completely uninteresting to some hypothetical alien.

Friend have you seen the boobs on some of our women?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Icochet posted:

Friend have you seen the boobs on some of our women?

They won't be interested until women start growing three of them, I know for sure, I saw it in a movie once.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think UFOs are not real. I have not reviewed any evidence anywhere, including in this thread. I just know I'm right. Also, decorum demands that my opinion of what facts are be treated just as seriously as yours. I love to vote.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004

Tarkus posted:

you can't have it both ways. either they're trying to evade detection but somehow constantly gently caress it up even with their vastly superior technology, or they don't care but the only things powerful enough to catch fleeting, could-definitely-be-a-million-other-more-likely-things glimpses of them are drunk rednecks and radar. not the thousands of satellites we have pointed in every direction literally custom built to watch for signals and objects in/around our solar system.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

YoungSexualNorton posted:

powerful enough to travel between stars but too stupid to hide themselves as they practice doing barrel rolls through our atmosphere in broad daylight

Why would they want or need to hide? Not like we can do anything about it.

I do love the “if they’re so real why do they do x instead of y” said by dude who most certainly has not mastered interstellar travel and therefore is in perfect position to criticize the aliens he doesn’t think are real

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I gotta leave this thread before the conversation gets too smart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK27RqA9Drg

(0:47)

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
13.8 billion year old universe.
The aliens are either dead as gently caress or haven't evolved from space apes yet. They could have gone extinct before the earth was but a twinkle in God's testicle, or there could be billions of years to go before their planet is even born. It's fun to speculate but if we're going to treat it as real in the here and now sense then I can't possibly ignore those numbers. That's an absolutely ridiculous coincidence and I wouldn't trust it if you had video footage of the pope shaking hands with ET.

They can be as real as we want but I'm putting the chances of any human in history being born at just the right time and place to meet one at around nil and if you think I'm wrong you might as well start buying powerball tickets. I've got a better chance of running into Jimmy Hoffa on my way down to the pub.

Unidentified Flying Objects are real, they just tend to become identified flying objects after a while and turn out to be mundane things like paper lanterns or light reflections or any of the other things that don't require us to assume that humans are intrinsic to the universe and have and will be around forever.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
All I can say is that something crashed at Roswell and it would be really neat to find out after all these years. It probably wasn't a flying saucer but what ever it was the military made a big loving deal about it and worked really hard to cover it up and keep it covered.

My long standing theory is that the USSR was working on space craft much earlier than we thought, and something from their new space program(or related experiments) crashed right in rural America and it freaked everyone out.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Stex T posted:

Well there's my alien GF but she lives on Zeta Reticuli so you wouldn't know her.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a34dme/this-guy-paints-the-sex-he-allegedly-has-with-aliens mildly NWS

That alien has nice breasts.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Rad-daddio posted:

All I can say is that something crashed at Roswell and it would be really neat to find out after all these years. It probably wasn't a flying saucer but what ever it was the military made a big loving deal about it and worked really hard to cover it up and keep it covered.

My long standing theory is that the USSR was working on space craft much earlier than we thought, and something from their new space program(or related experiments) crashed right in rural America and it freaked everyone out.

Here's an interesting document commissioned by the US government on the Roswell crash. It mostly debunks it.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a326147.pdf

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Tarkus posted:

Here's an interesting document commissioned by the US government on the Roswell crash. It mostly debunks it.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a326147.pdf

That's just what they, like, want you to think mannnnn....

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

UFOs are from different dimensions, they don't have to cross interstellar space because they are already here just beyond our perception.

Sometimes they blip into our view like one of those 4D animations you see on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4aKJuKP0Q

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fried Watermelon posted:

UFOs are from different dimensions, they don't have to cross interstellar space because they are already here just beyond our perception.

Sometimes they blip into our view like one of those 4D animations you see on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t4aKJuKP0Q

Actually we're the ones terrifyingly blipping into view as hell dimension briefly impinges into a better reality.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

How would an alien from 69th dimension look in our pitiful 3d world?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Interstellar space travel works the same way.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Schweinhund posted:

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Interstellar space travel works the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R4Tp8ls5lY

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I don’t understand that 4D toy box AT ALL. Can someone who is good at aliens explain it please?

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

poisonpill posted:

I don’t understand that 4D toy box AT ALL. Can someone who is good at aliens explain it please?

It can't really be understood other than mathematically, because we can't perceive 4 spacial dimensions.

Basically it's showing you what it looks like when you perceive things in 2 dimensions and manipulate in 3 dimensions, to show that if you were a 2D entity, things would seem trippy and weird, and things would change size and location without explanation. Apply the same logic, they show what would happen if you manipulate in a 4th spacial dimension and viewed it as a 3d entity. But becuase we ARE actually 3d entities, there's no real way to represent a 4th spacial dimension the way they did in the earlier exercise. That's why it's weird and basically impossible to understand unless you understand the math (which I don't)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If you manage to stick your dick into a 2 dimensional world all they'd see is a flat cross-section of it, blood vessels and all, that is currently present on their plane :aaaaa:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Biohazard posted:

It can't really be understood other than mathematically, because we can't perceive 4 spacial dimensions.

Speak for yourself

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Colonel Cancer posted:

If you manage to stick your dick into a 2 dimensional world all they'd see is a flat cross-section of it, blood vessels and all, that is currently present on their plane :aaaaa:

No, it'd still be too infinitesmally narrow to see from their perspective. Mine, however... :smug:

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Biohazard posted:

Basically it's showing you what it looks like when you perceive things in 2 dimensions and manipulate in 3 dimensions, to show that if you were a 2D entity, things would seem trippy and weird, and things would change size and location without explanation. Apply the same logic, they show what would happen if you manipulate in a 4th spacial dimension and viewed it as a 3d entity. But becuase we ARE actually 3d entities, there's no real way to represent a 4th spacial dimension the way they did in the earlier exercise. That's why it's weird and basically impossible to understand unless you understand the math (which I don't)

I understand the math and it’s still weird and difficult to explain.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

The best way to explain would be to play star control 2 and encounter the “Orz” species of aliens.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Pewdiepie posted:

I understand the math and it’s still weird and difficult to explain.

Let‘s hear it!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

poisonpill posted:

Let‘s hear it!

Google the Ur Quan masters, download star control II, then fly to the androsynth star system and meet the Orz.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
call me when we have roadside picnic aliens instead of watching us street poo poo aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Nastyman posted:

13.8 billion year old universe.
I can't for the life of me figure out what point you're trying to make but I will EXPOUND on this part anyway. If we assume life evolved only on Earth, then it took about 3.8 billion years so that leaves a 10 billion year old universe. From what I've read, the universe can sustain life at 1-2 billion years old so maybe that leaves 8 billion years in between Creation and Earth.

Basically I don't think life started on earth. It spent billions of years elsewhere evolving into single-cell organisms or tardigrades or whatever, then spent millions of years floating through space. This limits the spread of life to a certain area (it won't be travelling between galaxies), but also means the evolution of humans and any potential aliens is parallel. A single cell-organism may have landed on earth at 10 billion universe years, then landed in Zeta Reticuli at 10-billion-40 years. Thus we have our reptile overlords that evolved slightly faster than us.