Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

feel like the exercise instructions aren't good in general. took me quite some time to find out that you were meant to have your legs off the floor for the russian twist - instructions just said 'bend your knees'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

VileLL posted:

feel like the exercise instructions aren't good in general. took me quite some time to find out that you were meant to have your legs off the floor for the russian twist - instructions just said 'bend your knees'.

Haha wow I never even realized that.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve had to do mega blocks during Drageux fights before then, but I had always survived. Still, I think I may have had to chug a bunch of health smoothies after.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I think mega ab guards done properly will make you take no damage at all.

Also I think having your legs off the floor for russian twist is optional for increased difficulty, at least judging from Tipp? But it's been a while since I've done them

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

DoubleDonut posted:

Yeah, I think mega ab guards done properly will make you take no damage at all.

Also I think having your legs off the floor for russian twist is optional for increased difficulty, at least judging from Tipp? But it's been a while since I've done them

Yeah, Ring will mention during the action that you can raise your legs off the ground to make it harder and work your abs, if you want.

Has anyone had any long-term stories with this game yet? I'm on Day 34 at Level 30 difficulty. I'm also waiting for a job to start, so I usually play about an hour in-game (so like 2 real hours a day). What kind of tone is anyone seeing? Or are more people seeing more stamina/endurance type success? I had been doing long-distance running for my main exercise, but wanted to switch things up to get some different type of training and tone up. I'm not sure if I'm seeing anything huge in 34 days, but I guess it's helping? Wondering what everyone else was seeing.

(Also, getting to a fitness gym in game at Difficulty 30 occasionally makes my heart sink, especially if it involves Mountain Climbers).

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

AKA Driver posted:

Yeah, Ring will mention during the action that you can raise your legs off the ground to make it harder and work your abs, if you want.

Has anyone had any long-term stories with this game yet? I'm on Day 34 at Level 30 difficulty. I'm also waiting for a job to start, so I usually play about an hour in-game (so like 2 real hours a day). What kind of tone is anyone seeing? Or are more people seeing more stamina/endurance type success? I had been doing long-distance running for my main exercise, but wanted to switch things up to get some different type of training and tone up. I'm not sure if I'm seeing anything huge in 34 days, but I guess it's helping? Wondering what everyone else was seeing.

(Also, getting to a fitness gym in game at Difficulty 30 occasionally makes my heart sink, especially if it involves Mountain Climbers).

I don't play quite at your intensity, I do 20-30 minutes active workouts on level 20 every other day.

I forget what day I'm on at this point, but I have skipped some due to flu seasons and bleeding way too much after a wisdom tooth extraction.

At this point I have noticed I have better balance during yoga moves (Though I still can't tree pose properly) and I'm way more flexible. I've also lost a bit of weight, would probably lose more if I stopped eating trash but eh.
Some moves have also gotten easier, like mountain climber and planks (Only need to take one break when planking now!... Usually at least) but boat pose is still impossible for me.

I just want to get stronger core muscles and stamina. I got some issues with my back meaning if I don't work out relevant muscles my back starts hurting real bad after a while. Since I used to do mostly weight training my flexibility was also trash (Because who's got time for stretching properly?) but ring fit is helping with that.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

AKA Driver posted:

I'm at Day 20, started at level 11, but I'm now at level 16. I try to do every other day, if possible. Before this, I didn't exercise ever, and haven't in years and years, but I've always been naturally skinny.

Since starting, I've noticed my biceps go from non-existent to actually somewhat existent. My balance feels a bit better, and quick runs that would totally have me winded before aren't so bad now. I've gone from only being able to do 10-15 minutes on the in-game timer before calling it quits to 24-28 minutes ~ roughly an hour in real life time. It is honestly pretty remarkable seeing my own personal progress starting from zero.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

AKA Driver posted:

I've definitly noticed that as I keep playing I can handle more of what the game throws at me. At first it set me to like intensity 20, after a session or two I bumped it down to 18 as I was getting used to actually working out and now I have been increasing it as it gets easier, up to intensity 22 now. Also feels like certain exercises are becoming much more bearable now, I have been trying out the quickplay sets for specific body parts and where previously my arms would feel sore for the rest of the day I now barely feel it after one go.

Not sure about any visual changes, admittedly I don't play this game regular though. Mostly blaming work taking a lot of my freetime away.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

One of the reasons I bought the game was to learn about more stretches and it's definitely helped there. My work posture's not great but taking time out to do some of the exercises has really helped.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I finished day 37 yesterday. I'm on world 20 on difficulty 18. When I started, I was playing 5-6 times a week but now I have kind of fallen off to once a week. Much of it is related to my work schedule but I have started to sour on the experience. I was going at it pretty intensely and ending every session covered in sweat but I didn't see much improvement in stamina or weight. I know that diet is also a factor but I'm generally a healthy eater.

I think the biggest shortcoming of this game is form and how it enforces it. This also happens to be one of the most important aspects of these exercises. I don't think there's any way around it because there's limits to learning form when you're alone in your basement. Unless you have significant prior experience, you're probably doing many of the moves incorrectly.

Many of the exercises aren't that great and I find squats to be the only move that makes me feel the burn and leaves me feeling sore. Squats are great and all but there's 3 variants that are fairly similar and it's really the only thing I'm getting out of the game. The arms exercises do nothing for me as there's very little tension. The ab exercises are so much more difficult than anything else that I always end in colapse and I tend to avoid them. Yoga is great but it depends on form much more than anything else so it's really difficult to get anything out of it unless done precisely.

By contrast, I went on a 2 hour bike ride a few weeks back and the gains from just one ride were so much more significant. Once it starts to warm up, I'll definitely drop this game all together and spend all my time outside as I find it much more enjoyable. I think if you want to exercise at home, a much better alternative would be to get some kettlebells. Most kettlebell moves are fairly easy to learn and the price to get started is even less the cost of Ring Fit Adventure.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

When it comes down to it, it's only going to be as useful as you make it. You could probably do most of the game laying on a sofa if you wanted to, just trick it with some vague movements. If the form doesn't make sense from the examples, google is your friend. Once you know the right form, it's up to you to enforce it on yourself. There's only so much a joycon on your leg and in your hands can do.

If certain exercises are so difficult that you collapse, I mean, that could be a sign of where to focus if you want to get results. The game can't force you to do anything, just like a set of weights or a bike or a pair of running shoes can't force you to do anything. At least it can mostly measure your exercise and give you examples and advice. Sorry that it's not working out for you, but if you've got alternatives that you want to pursue, that's great too. I think it's primarily tailored towards those who can't or won't go out to run or bike or swim or visit the gym or whatever. And some people need gamification to push them towards exercising, and for getting those people moving this game is fantastic.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

God drat I'm really not enjoying some of these gym quests, finally managed to do the first smack back one where you can't miss a single discus.
It sucked.

I should just skip them but I want to do them all despite really disliking them!

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

organburner posted:

God drat I'm really not enjoying some of these gym quests, finally managed to do the first smack back one where you can't miss a single discus.
It sucked.

I should just skip them but I want to do them all despite really disliking them!

the discus gym you're talking about is indeed the worst and took me like ten tries to perfect.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

Lazy_Liberal posted:

the discus gym you're talking about is indeed the worst and took me like ten tries to perfect.

Smackback has some dogshit hit detection and I don't think I'm ever gonna perfect that. That one and Dreadmill are the two that are most frustrating, because I feel like I'm doing what the game is asking, but when you have to get every token or whatever, it's just irritating.

In other news, I learned you can one shot open doors with a strong enough blast.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

It took me seeing my fiancee hold the jump to realize you didn't have to constantly pump it to stay afloat.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The one where you are batting lines of robots and you have to continually release and press the ringcon into your abs while twisting side to side is my bane. I feel like I'd need some kind of belt securing the ring to me in order to make that one remotely fun. As is, it's just a constant battle to keep the ring from slipping off one side or the other. I end up having to sort of awkwardly hold it against me with one hand on my stomach and then try to do all the pressing with the other hand on the other side of the ring. Kind of the same problem I have with any exercise that expects you to squeeze the ring between your thighs without using your hands. It's just too likely to escape and spring across the room and scare my cat or something.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

the worst one is squattery wheel

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

My creations never even come close to what they want, beyond being in the same vague shape.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Pretty much all of the minigames suck but Dreadmill and the parachute one are definitely the worst for me

Dreadmill is especially bad because I tend to measure how much I play by active minutes, and it's easy to get like 12 minutes from re-attempting a Dreadmill sidequest over and over but also get basically no actual exercise

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I've been keeping at this for a while and uh, I kept ignoring the game telling me to take a break. I did the entirety of world 8 in one sitting and then I had to just not do anything the day after that because all of my muscles were angry.

Also i've noticed when you puff air or try to suck in monsters during a course, their ghost-looking things get bigger. Does that do something or is it just for show?

EDIT: also gently caress squattery wheel

I Said No fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 20, 2020

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently scalpers are buying up all the stock of this game in Australia because it’s rare here

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I have rug burns on my elbows from doin too many planks :negative:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

bowmore posted:

Apparently scalpers are buying up all the stock of this game in Australia because it’s rare here

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Gnossiennes posted:

I have rug burns on my elbows from doin too many planks :negative:

Get a yoga mat.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Get a yoga mat.

Holy gently caress this.

A real thick one can help, but I find it also messes up my balance when doing some of the yoga poo poo where you stand on one leg, so maybe have a thinner one as well if that is an issue for you too.
Then the thick one is great when doing some of those exercises that can be hard on your rear end when you're like sitting.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I got a yoga mat, my elbows and toes are much appreciative :)

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I may have missed this but I was thinking about buying a copy for me and my wife. I assume we can each have a save slot to track our separate progression?

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

he1ixx posted:

I may have missed this but I was thinking about buying a copy for me and my wife. I assume we can each have a save slot to track our separate progression?

Yeah, it's kinda weird but when you launch into the adventure part it asks which profile you want to use, rather than selecting profile when you launch the game itself.

I just realized I've only tried out the adventure mode and nothing else, lol.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

organburner posted:

Yeah, it's kinda weird but when you launch into the adventure part it asks which profile you want to use, rather than selecting profile when you launch the game itself.

I just realized I've only tried out the adventure mode and nothing else, lol.

Thanks for the info. That's what I was hoping.
Next step is trying to find a copy. It appears this game has disappeared from the Earth...

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

It's fun that the game gives you custom titles when you get achievements. However, once I got 'package puncher' I realized I would never change it again.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
I leveled up Hip Shaker for this purpose but it shoved me into management. Screw that!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

VP of Hip-Shaking.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The alternative title to package puncher which it gives you at the same time is 'box botherer'. Someone was definitely giggling when they added those.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

he1ixx posted:

Thanks for the info. That's what I was hoping.
Next step is trying to find a copy. It appears this game has disappeared from the Earth...

I saw a bunch at Walmart last time I went grocery shopping. If you're in St. Louis I could tell you exactly which one, otherwise I would just try your local one. My GameStop had one or two, too last week.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

BobTheJanitor posted:

The alternative title to package puncher which it gives you at the same time is 'box botherer'. Someone was definitely giggling when they added those.

i 1000% instantly set my title to box botherer and i see no reason to ever change it

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
full-time hip shaker was just too funny for me to not use

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BobTheJanitor posted:

It's fun that the game gives you custom titles when you get achievements. However, once I got 'package puncher' I realized I would never change it again.

I
I need to know what I need to do for this title.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Manuel Calavera posted:

I
I need to know what I need to do for this title.

Package Pulverizer comes from that game where you blow up crates with air blasts, I forget the exact name of it

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Starting with level 290 you no longer get skill points.

You get a free set of awesome gear just before the final battle of world 45. No upgraded demon wings set, though.

Right at the start of NG++ you get all level 4 skills. And, they're all the same strength so you can pick them for the exercise and not power. And, zero cooldown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
... World 45? J... Jesus...