Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

The Bee posted:

Makes sense. With all the points going into it, I'd rather not have the Prime just be a very fleshy drop pod. Giving it some big staying power to dissuage charges against the Gants seems like it'd be really helpful.

I know there's a stratagem for giving another unit a Physiology. Should that go to one of my other big units, or should I buff up the Genestealer or Termagant mob?

Unless you’re talking Warriors (and even then it’s undetermined if it’s worth it) APs should go on Monsters. It’s definitely worth it to take a second one. Murderous Size on the Hive Tyrant with Chameleonic Mutation will put in work and make it a pain to kill. Dermic Symbiosis on the Trygon is a solid pick, as any invulnerable is going to help you weather the shooting phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

PierreTheMime posted:

Unless you’re talking Warriors (and even then it’s undetermined if it’s worth it) APs should go on Monsters. It’s definitely worth it to take a second one. Murderous Size on the Hive Tyrant with Chameleonic Mutation will put in work and make it a pain to kill. Dermic Symbiosis on the Trygon is a solid pick, as any invulnerable is going to help you weather the shooting phase.

That makes sense. Would you say the Mutation outweighs the Miasma Cannon? I'm likely going to keep the Heavy Venom Cannon on him anyway so he can actually give my army some proper big unit fighting capabilities, but I'm flexible on artefact choice.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

The Bee posted:

That makes sense. Would you say the Mutation outweighs the Miasma Cannon? I'm likely going to keep the Heavy Venom Cannon on him anyway so he can actually give my army some proper big unit fighting capabilities, but I'm flexible on artefact choice.

The survivability is huge on Hive Tyrants, which are big fire magnets (rightfully so). With the advent of Blood of Baal, the Kraken relic chart is like so:

Chameleonic Mutation > Resonance Barb >>>>> Every other artifact

I don’t think it’s ever worth the extra 2CP for the second relic, but it sure as hell is worth 1CP for the Barb. Toss it on the Broodlord for bonus casting and better potential for megasmites, since you’ll be aiming to close distance to targets with it constantly and should be within 18” quick enough.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Is there a good guide on terrain placement? I've read the goonhammer one but I'd like a little more detail.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

SteelMentor posted:

CSM is in the works but we've got some articles focused around Khorne and Slaanesh.

In general the big meta for CSM seems to be focused around Khorne-marked Possessed bombs and blobs of Slaanesh-marked Obliterators, with Iron Warriors and Black Legion being the legions of choice.

What's your current list?

Non existant. In theory I can do the above, Khorne possessed bomb? Was reading about it today and thought it was Nurgle.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

PierreTheMime posted:

The survivability is huge on Hive Tyrants, which are big fire magnets (rightfully so). With the advent of Blood of Baal, the Kraken relic chart is like so:

Chameleonic Mutation > Resonance Barb >>>>> Every other artifact

I don’t think it’s ever worth the extra 2CP for the second relic, but it sure as hell is worth 1CP for the Barb. Toss it on the Broodlord for bonus casting and better potential for megasmites, since you’ll be aiming to close distance to targets with it constantly and should be within 18” quick enough.

So of my 8 CP, use 1 for a second Adaptation to buff up the Flyrant, 1 for a second relic to get that Barb on my Broodlord, maybe 2 for a Single Minded Annihilation on the shooting phase, and use the rest for rerolls and mobility?

Speaking of those psychic powers, I currently have Catalyst and Psionic Scream on the Tyrant and The Horror on the Boordlord. That sound about right, or should I flip who has what?

The Bee fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 18, 2020

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

The Bee posted:

So of my 8 CP, use 1 for a second Adaptation to buff up the Flyrant, 1 for a second relic to get that Barb on my Broodlord, maybe 2 for a Single Minded Annihilation on the shooting phase, and use the rest for rerolls and mobility?

Speaking of those psychic powers, I currently have Catalyst and Psionic Scream on the Tyrant and The Horror on the Boordlord. That sound about right, or should I flip who has what?

At that point level, that sounds about right yeah. There’s a couple of situational powers that can help along the way, Overrun and Implant Attack can be super helpful for quick objective grabs and knocking out a pesky character that survived with one would left.

The psychic power choice is good, though maybe drop Psychic Scream for Synaptic Lure, as rerolling charges (with no range or LoS requirement no less!) is real good. When you’ve got other good powers and Smite access already a side-Smite isn’t as useful.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

PierreTheMime posted:

At that point level, that sounds about right yeah. There’s a couple of situational powers that can help along the way, Overrun and Implant Attack can be super helpful for quick objective grabs and knocking out a pesky character that survived with one would left.

The psychic power choice is good, though maybe drop Psychic Scream for Synaptic Lure, as rerolling charges (with no range or LoS requirement no less!) is real good. When you’ve got other good powers and Smite access already a side-Smite isn’t as useful.

That makes sense. That power and a few Kraken stratagems can probably slingshot a Genestealer mob right into an enemy's face if they play fast and loose with the line of scrimmage.

I also have a scaled down version of the list (remove the big monsters and Shrikes, replace the Termagant's weapons with fleshborers, and re-use the best looking shrike as a Tyranid Prime for the cheap HQ option) that gets me a Battalion at 500 points, which almost feels unfair. Almost.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Don't use command points on rerolls unless it has the potential to make an actual big difference in the game, even then you should consider what the most likely outcome is, rather than the dream scenario. Like, if you roll 2 damage on a model with 6 wounds left is not a good reroll, unless that 6 will literally win you the game. Especially not if it is a model which deteriorates and is in a low bracket. Rerolling charges can also be a trap. Only if it is truly ultra important, like to stop a massive amount of shooting (like touching a big centurion blob) or if your good unit is going to be annihilated if they don't trap an enemy unit in melee or something (unless you're genestealer cults, in which case you have to succeed on your charges or any army will shoot you off the board in their next shooting phase).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Yeah with CP I find it's good to have an idea of what you actually want to spend it on during the game, which units would need which stratagems. The re-roll should be used in critical moments which you can't plan for, but if you don't know what else you're going to be doing with it then it becomes real hard to balance off whether or not the re-roll is a better choice than whatever your opportunity cost is.

Like 1CP for Grey Knights can give a Grand Master Dreadknight a 3++ for a turn (rather than 4++). Is whatever I can re-roll worth more or less than that, considering how much damage you can prevent by improving your saving throw by about 17%.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My RG gameplay basically boils down to using my CP on set things with four reserved for transhuman physiology and warlord save rerolls. I never reroll output unless I'm in the rate situation where my last attack might kill a character or scoring unit and that's always late in the game anyway, so I've probably burned my CP on stratagems.

Last couple of games I've blown Ambushing Fire on turn two for 2CP and when you combine it with 40 auto bolters, aggressors and loads of repulsor small arms it absolutely shreds for the price.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'm getting back into wargaming after not playing at all since I was in high school and while I've settled on AoS for now thanks to a more active local scene, I used to play 40k and the setting / miniatures were always a bit more interesting to me than the fantasy side, so I strongly considered starting 40k back up too. Looking at lists and stuff now after being out of the loop for so long, it seems completely different - it looks like doing a "fluffy" list is basically noncompetitive for most armies, and most lists look like a weird jumble of cross-faction units and allies with no real theme / cohesion to it. I used to like Death Guard back in the day but the "DG" lists I'm seeing have like zero plague marines and are using Thousand Sons marines and cultists and stuff instead.

Is that just the current state of the game, or is that just the hyper-competitive tournament scene where everything is min-maxed as much as possible? Can you still make faction-themed armies that are competitive for LGS play, or would it basically be condemning yourself to constant losses?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm getting back into wargaming after not playing at all since I was in high school and while I've settled on AoS for now thanks to a more active local scene, I used to play 40k and the setting / miniatures were always a bit more interesting to me than the fantasy side, so I strongly considered starting 40k back up too. Looking at lists and stuff now after being out of the loop for so long, it seems completely different - it looks like doing a "fluffy" list is basically noncompetitive for most armies, and most lists look like a weird jumble of cross-faction units and allies with no real theme / cohesion to it. I used to like Death Guard back in the day but the "DG" lists I'm seeing have like zero plague marines and are using Thousand Sons marines and cultists and stuff instead.

Is that just the current state of the game, or is that just the hyper-competitive tournament scene where everything is min-maxed as much as possible? Can you still make faction-themed armies that are competitive for LGS play, or would it basically be condemning yourself to constant losses?

You can play anything reasonably competitively at your LGS.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

My club has a split of comp players and people that just want to make sweet mans. There are some total bummer units in most armies but you can make more or less anything work and most of all be fun to play with and against.

DG are a very good army. They're not going to dish out massive pain, but they're super durable. If you run poxwalkers and marines you'll do well. Basically the bastards do not die on objectives, have a big range of awesome new models, great characters and a primarch. You'll win some and lose some. You're not bound to using netlists and I find a lot of people request no netlists at my club.

I win about 70% by virtue of playing a primaris force right now (they're just a really strong force all round, hard to mute them down), but it's fluffy and people enjoy playing against it since it does some weird poo poo. The one time I played against DG they absolutely poo poo on me.

E: oh yeah DG are also a cost effective army to start with since they come in the starter box, the Primaris are easy to sell off on eBay and there are always DG available from box splits.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tulip posted:

Is there a good guide on terrain placement? I've read the goonhammer one but I'd like a little more detail.

place it all really close together in one corner of the table except for a single crater piece dead in the center

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Pile all the terrain on top of each other and try to make the biggest jenga tower. Place objectives at various points up the tower, with two objectives on top. You must ascend.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Pile all the terrain on top of each other and try to make the biggest jenga tower. Place objectives at various points up the tower, with two objectives on top. You must ascend.
This would probably be an awesome Necromunda scenario.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GW needs to make actual line of sight blocking terrain. Playing at GW stores kind of bites due to every match basically being a parking lot.

If it's at home or a FLGS there's plenty of other options or even homemade options. But people (players and companies) seem to copy GW and stuff ends up looking cool but not being great for playing with.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah when I was still playing with some local dudes the first pieces of scratch-built terrain we made were big-rear end walls (made of cardboard boxes and modeling clay I think) specifically to shake up tank placement a little. Plus having a big set-piece like a wall tall enough to hide a tank but wide enough to put some dudes on to fight is cool as hell

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
My GW has enough terrain to get by, the bit I an not really big on is the tiles; they are straight up impossible to roll on without a cocked die. The old fantasy(?) hill tiles make building and model placement awkward too.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

R0ckfish posted:

My GW has enough terrain to get by, the bit I an not really big on is the tiles; they are straight up impossible to roll on without a cocked die. The old fantasy(?) hill tiles make building and model placement awkward too.

The GW tiles look great. But I've yet to meet anyone who's played on them who likes playing on them.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Black Is Black posted:

Welp, 2 keepers down. 2 more to go for my very annoying Slaanesh army.

holy moley

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Finished my Eliminators! That puts me at 1000 points of Iron Hands painted. Now I have until the 7th of March to get Iron Father Feirros painted, and I'll be done with my builder's league painting.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I just went to treat myself to another GK Strike Squad box or two, and found literally all Grey Knight unit boxes are sold out online.

Obviously that guy going 6-0 at that UK tournament has encouraged a spending spree.

Side question, is the Primaris Librarian model in terminator armour or power armour? Struggling to tell from the photos.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kitchner posted:

I just went to treat myself to another GK Strike Squad box or two, and found literally all Grey Knight unit boxes are sold out online.

Obviously that guy going 6-0 at that UK tournament has encouraged a spending spree.

Side question, is the Primaris Librarian model in terminator armour or power armour? Struggling to tell from the photos.

The Primaris Librarian? He's in mark x power armour.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

JBP posted:

The Primaris Librarian? He's in mark x power armour.

Yeah thought so, his base is terminator size though and the model looks pretty cool, so I think I'm going to switch out his shoulder pads for Grey Knight ones spare from the strike team box and stick a storm bolter on his outstretched hand and just say it's ancient artificer armour that counts as terminator armour.

I may try to do the same with the Primaris Chaplain too, but he's carrying a fancy new pistol, so will need to chop that off and see if I can put a storm bolter on that arm, or switch his rod from his left to his right and put the stormbolter on there. Would look weird though so I think I'll try the right for the storm bolter, Crowe has his storm bolter on his right arm so there's precedent.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Maneck posted:

The GW tiles look great. But I've yet to meet anyone who's played on them who likes playing on them.

Every board at WHW is a realm of battle and it puts me off going to WHW events. Hate playing on them, especially when you're rolling dice on them and get that plasticy sound plus cocked dice landing in the skull pits.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Kitchner posted:

Yeah thought so, his base is terminator size though and the model looks pretty cool, so I think I'm going to switch out his shoulder pads for Grey Knight ones spare from the strike team box and stick a storm bolter on his outstretched hand and just say it's ancient artificer armour that counts as terminator armour.

I may try to do the same with the Primaris Chaplain too, but he's carrying a fancy new pistol, so will need to chop that off and see if I can put a storm bolter on that arm, or switch his rod from his left to his right and put the stormbolter on there. Would look weird though so I think I'll try the right for the storm bolter, Crowe has his storm bolter on his right arm so there's precedent.

I’d think Gravis armor would be the best substitute for ‘counts as’ terminator armor. It might even fit the shoulder pads better.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

OhDearGodNo posted:

I’d think Gravis armor would be the best substitute for ‘counts as’ terminator armor. It might even fit the shoulder pads better.

I have spare power armour shoulders but not spare terminator ones.

Originally I was just going to buy the default librarian and chaplain in terminator armour (and cry as I won't be able to get the games day one which is exactly what I want it to look like).

However as they are all sold out I did see the Primaris versions and they are quite chunky and the models are quite cool. I have the spare wrist mounted storm bolters because I built some PAGK with heavy weapons and I have spare justiciar shoulderpads because I already have like 5 metal justicars.

The only thing that will be weird is them having a movement of 5" rather than 6" despite not being in terminator armour, but I can always say the artificer armour isn't as limber as modern power armour or some poo poo if anyone gets fussy.

Though now I'm worrying that the Primaris are so chunky regular power armour shoulder pads will look tiny on them.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Kitchner posted:

Though now I'm worrying that the Primaris are so chunky regular power armour shoulder pads will look tiny on them.

The shoulder pads for non-gravis are the same size as old shoulder pads.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

The shoulder pads for non-gravis are the same size as old shoulder pads.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Primaris-Space-Marines-Librarian-Epistolary

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Marines-Primaris-Chaplain

I assume these two are non-gravis and they would have the same size shoulders?

Have to say I'm really not familiar with all the new primaris stuff at all.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Corrode posted:

cocked dice landing in the skull pits.

See this is why Khorne wants them all stacked out of the way in nice thrones, he identified the problem with skull pits in early testing and it's important for those Bezerkers to get their buckets of dice in unimpeded.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
How exactly is the Kelermorph produced? I didn't think genestealer cults produced such specific biomorphs, so is it a drop-off from a hive fleet? Just a random chance buried in Genestealer DNA? Or is it genetic engineering cooked up in the sewers and recesses of the Cult? I may or may not be trying to puzzle out lore for a hive fleet that plays the long game, so a more diplomatic/subtle bioform like that is of interest to me.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Corrode posted:

Every board at WHW is a realm of battle and it puts me off going to WHW events. Hate playing on them, especially when you're rolling dice on them and get that plasticy sound plus cocked dice landing in the skull pits.
Bring a dice rolling tray. We have a whole stack of them at my club. Being able to toss out 40 dice at once without a care in the world is life-changing.

Better yet, start selling Goonhammer branded dice trays.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Kitchner posted:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Primaris-Space-Marines-Librarian-Epistolary

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Marines-Primaris-Chaplain

I assume these two are non-gravis and they would have the same size shoulders?

Have to say I'm really not familiar with all the new primaris stuff at all.

Those should both be fine. I kitbashed a Master Lazarus using old Dark Angels shoulder pads for part of it and it looks fine.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kitchner posted:

I'm actually considering using a bare Primaris Librarian head with a plastic Terminator to make my Librarian. I must admit it never occurred to me to just proxy the model outright.

And I was gonna do the same with a Chaplain head but I can't find a good Crozius substitute.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm actually considering using a bare Primaris Librarian head with a plastic Terminator to make my Librarian. I must admit it never occurred to me to just proxy the model outright.

And I was gonna do the same with a Chaplain head but I can't find a good Crozius substitute.

I did consider getting the actual terminator models and essentially cutting off the default shoulder pads and putting GK terminator pads on but then I'd be paying for two terminators just for the shoulder pads. Could possibly buy the shoulder pads from a bits website but the librarian model especially looks cool as hell.

With the librarian I'm going to cut off the sword and stick on one of the warding staves from the strike box kit, and then stick one of the stormbolters I have left over on his arm, and I reckon he won't look far off how big Voldus himself looks in his terminator armour.

I'm collecting the models tomorrow so I can always post a picture and you can see how they look.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Safety Factor posted:

This would probably be an awesome Necromunda scenario.

Outlanders had a scenario just like that.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
How viable are melee warriors? Thinking of three configurations with Kraken:

1. Double scything talons and adrenal glands

2. Rending claws, lash whip and bone sword, adrenal glands, toxin sacs

3. Same as above but replace lash whip with just bone swords

Would any of those work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

The Bee posted:

How exactly is the Kelermorph produced? I didn't think genestealer cults produced such specific biomorphs, so is it a drop-off from a hive fleet? Just a random chance buried in Genestealer DNA? Or is it genetic engineering cooked up in the sewers and recesses of the Cult? I may or may not be trying to puzzle out lore for a hive fleet that plays the long game, so a more diplomatic/subtle bioform like that is of interest to me.

I got the genestealer cult start collecting pack that came with the codex and I was skimming through the pages last night for a bit and the one blurb I read about the kelermorph just said that if the cult is going well one of the cultists (hybrids w/e) would just turn into one so I guess it's just sorta triggered by something in their genes?