Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

For fecks' sake...

Lord alfuckingmighty, can you catch a break already?

Beach Bum posted:

Every time I think about paying other people to do things I can do but don't really want to I read something like this and I'm all "Yeah it'll take me twice as long and look half as good but the fucker will work like it's supposed to and won't be broken".

And someone will give a poo poo, and think for one second before, oh let's pull up a hypothetical example, putting the hole hawg to a $7k countertop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Whelp, guess my house will stay un-updated. To be fair, I don’t really have the money to have someone else do it anyway.

Edit: and it would take me years to actually, like remodel a room. (Don’t) Ask me about my concrete floors in half the house...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

glyph posted:

I dare you to catch a break with this.

He did! :haw: Well, the installer caught it... but it's a break either way. I'll show myself out...

meatpimp, how the gently caress did he let that poo poo go for 40 loving minutes? There's an "oh poo poo, I broke a pipe", then there's "huh, I broke a pipe, I'm not gonna bother looking for a way to shut it off or inform the homeowner, not my job". I know you don't want to involve your insurance, but since you have replacement value and it's a lot of older stuff, I'd absolutely file under your policy and let them go after his. His insurer will be trying to minimize their payout, period.

I've had my insurance subrogate before, and in the end it didn't affect my rates one bit, though that was car insurance. Not sure how it'd work with homeowners, even though you have proof he was at fault. I wouldn't mention the cameras to him yet either (but absolutely mention them to insurance); it'd be more fun to make him squirm a bit later when you whip out a phone or laptop after he's been fighting awhile and show him the video of him loving up. Cameras in homes today are common enough today that contractors should expect them.

InitialDave posted:

Logically, claim on your insurance, which will cover what you need, and they take it up with him?

If he's not insured for it, that's his problem to discuss with them. What level of insurance he has is irrelevant if he still has a given liability, it'll just result in your insurer taking legal action against him rather than sorting it out with his insurer?

Also having an identifiable entity to blame and recoup costs from may change how your insurers treat things for premium increases vs a "shot happens" claim.

This. His (contractor's) rates will go up quite a bit more if his insurance gets sued for replacement value (which will be higher than actual cash value). If it were me, even if there's a rate increase on my end, I'd let my insurance company handle it just to make sure he gets double hosed. Also, insurance companies have lawyers that deal with this poo poo every day. I'm not a lawyer, I don't pretend to be a lawyer, and I'm not prepared to deal with lawyers on my own.

Meatpimp's insurance company will also be representing meatpimp's interests; they'll be covering meatpimp's damages, and you better believe they'll be looking for someone to reimburse them. The contractor's insurance will be trying to minimize their total payout; their chances of doing so goes way down when they're fighting another insurance company.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Buttoned the MS6 up (new starter, oil change etc) and got ready to take it out to clean it up so I can sell it and got a wave of mild sadness. I don't need to sell this car but it is time to sell this car.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Having two major homeowners claims back to back is going to make you a pariah in the insurance world, and not just with your current company. I would do some serious research before going this route. I don’t think “well my insurance company can go through the hassle and expense of trying to get the contractors insurance company to cough up the money” is going to make this much (or any) better in their eyes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bird with big dick posted:

Having two major homeowners claims back to back is going to make you a pariah in the insurance world, and not just with your current company. I would do some serious research before going this route. I don’t think “well my insurance company can go through the hassle and expense of trying to get the contractors insurance company to cough up the money” is going to make this much (or any) better in their eyes.

Thankfully, my insurance company is awesome. The agency was super concerned and went through their hierarchical levels to get with decision makers about this since a) the first one wasn't our fault and is in subrogation and b) this one isn't our fault and will be subrogated. I just heard back from the agency and she said I have nothing to worry about, they're not going to drop me (which is usually automatic with 2 similar claims in a close timeframe) and my rates won't even be impacted.

Man, if I hadn't switched from Nationwide to this new carrier a few years ago, I'd be hosed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just contacting your insurance company with questions about a possible claim has already created a paper trail that they can use to justify a raise increase, even if you don't file a claim.

I'm still on the "file a claim, gently caress the contractor" side of the fence, but since you've already talked to your insurance, the paper trail is likely already there anyway - so you may as well follow through.

FWIW, I had one claim with Nationwide (hit and run on my car, which under TX law, is covered under UM/UIM property coverage), and my rates didn't budge. But I was less than impressed with how it was handled - they sent an independent contractor out to appraise the damage (no issue with it being an IC), who offered me a beer out of the half-empty 12 pack in the passenger seat (:siren:). He said he did appraisals on the side, owned a ranch a bit out of town and got most of his income from that. The appraiser wound up being really easy to deal with, we mostly got drunk in the dorm parking lot off of warm cheap beer, but I had to wait 2 weeks for a check to show up in the mail. UM/UIM, under state law, requires a rental be provided until the car is fixed - they offered a 1 week rental. It took 2 weeks for the check to show up. I mean, I COULD have taken it to an authorized body shop and had it fixed, and pay them my deductible (with insurance paying them directly), but even the drunk appraiser told me "I'd pocket the money".

I kept the cash, since the damage was almost identical to what Brokeback had when I bought it (slight RR door damage, RR quarter creased up a bit). It paid for a new transmission, since the Altima didn't exactly move under its own power without loud metal-on-metal noises at the time.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 18, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well, have to tell you Carvana is legit. Came and got the car a little less than 48 hours after I submitted it and gave me a check. I am now 100% RHD mad tyte JDM household

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes! The beat timeline!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rhyno posted:

Yes! The beat timeline!
A very appropriate typo, I hope!

Get on that, Everdave...

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Carvana says they’ll give me $32,617 for my 2012 GT500 which is pretty reasonable tbh.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Carvana says they’ll give me $32,617 for my 2012 GT500 which is pretty reasonable tbh.

I am by no means a carvana shill never have used them, didn't buy anything but I am actually pretty shocked that it worked the way it did. I had a crack in the rear bumper side from a year ago and they didn't care. It seems too easy...but they came and literally drove the car one mile (he said he had to see the odometer tick over to make sure it was working) and gave me a check, I signed about 6 papers and he took the car.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Just checked my car, $200. Drive it until it can go no more it is!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Krakkles posted:

The negative comments on their ads seemed to be for that, I think they just offer a blanket $200 for cars they don't want to sell. Hell I'll give you $200 for any running and driving car ha.

I am just surprised this all worked out. It just seems kind of bizarre ha

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

everdave posted:

I am by no means a carvana shill never have used them, didn't buy anything but I am actually pretty shocked that it worked the way it did. I had a crack in the rear bumper side from a year ago and they didn't care. It seems too easy...but they came and literally drove the car one mile (he said he had to see the odometer tick over to make sure it was working) and gave me a check, I signed about 6 papers and he took the car.
They were easy to deal with when I almost bought a car and the cancellation process was easy. Looks like I could get back what I paid for the i3 if I felt like it.

Krakkles posted:

That's what they offered me for the VW

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
They bought my mom's Kia Soul for more than KBB. Picked it up today in fact... Easiest sale I've ever done.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Carvana is all VC money. Get it while you can.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

nm posted:

Yeah this just seems too good to last

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

My pet bearded dragon died last night :(

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Good weekend: managed to score a 4-day weekend, passed a fairly advanced professional certification (PCNSE) on Friday, got reimbursed for the cost, and had an awesome birthday dinner with my family on President’s Day.

Since the PCNSE is required for my job, I’m pretty relieved.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Sorry to hear that. Pets passing is about the only bad thing about pets :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

I'm sorry :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

nm posted:

drat Vietcong!! :kratos:

Ferremit posted:

Dude, so sorry to hear that.

Pets are sometimes as bad as losing a person because you are so often alone mourning. :(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

everdave posted:

Well, have to tell you Carvana is legit. Came and got the car a little less than 48 hours after I submitted it and gave me a check. I am now 100% RHD mad tyte JDM household

lmao this is literally what I did years ago. Got my Honda Acty van, decided I was going to drive that instead of our 2013 Golf R. Sold it to Carvana. They sent a truck, the guy handed me a check, and that was that. I have been 100% RHD mad tyte JDM household ever since, you will enjoy it mightily I do say.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
as someone who lives in New Zealand which basically gets JDM Lite i'm assuming a 100% RHD mad tyte JDM household is the USA Equivalent of the dudes that imported LHD Muscle Cars
(I'm still kind of laughing at the dudes who imported a bunch of LHD Mustangs and then Ford decided to start selling them in RHD though)

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Solus posted:

as someone who lives in New Zealand which basically gets JDM Lite i'm assuming a 100% RHD mad tyte JDM household is the USA Equivalent of the dudes that imported LHD Muscle Cars
(I'm still kind of laughing at the dudes who imported a bunch of LHD Mustangs and then Ford decided to start selling them in RHD though)

Not nearly as funny as one of my boomer neighbours ordering one custom converted to rhd for around 6 figgies only for it to get delayed to the point that there were factory rhd mustangs available by the time it was delivered

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

nm posted:

That's what I told my mom. They don't need to turn a profit, just build the brand and be "disrupting". I'll gladly take their money.

Ferremit posted:

If your heart never hurts, how do you know it's there? Pets are the best, and it's the loving worst when they go. Sorry.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

big dong wanter posted:

Not nearly as funny as one of my boomer neighbours ordering one custom converted to rhd for around 6 figgies only for it to get delayed to the point that there were factory rhd mustangs available by the time it was delivered

Lol that must have hurt the wallet I would have been pissed :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Carvana offered me $2000 for the MS6. About half what I'm willing to take but honestly more than I expected from them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

$200 for Brokeback. :v:

No clue how many accidents it's been in (definitely one bad enough to take out the RF headlight, RF fog, RF suspension, front bumper cover, and wrinkle up the RR quarter panel), but at least I have 2 keys, and everything on it works!

I think I could easily sell it for what I paid for it, though I've put a bit of work into it. ANY running car with working AC that can pass our state inspection (including emissions) here is at least $1500-2000. Everything on it works.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Just looked at Carvana for the Flex. $12000. That suuuuuucks.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
On a scale of 1-10 how bad of an idea would a 99 911 Cabriolet with a clean title but carfax shows salvage history, tiptronic trans, 50k miles and "the top doesn't fit good" if I could get it for 8 cash? They are asking more.

Run far away or run to the bank? You tell me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Carvana doesn't want any of my cars, to the point of positively insulting offers. Like sub-$1K offers.
$300 for the Crown Vic with 195K on it (and they're VIN entry doesn't recognize the P71 VIN, something I've seen elsewhere.)
They claim the KBB trade in for a 2005 Crown Vic in "OK" condition is $181, which is complete bullshit. It's a running, driving, inspected (legally!) vehicle with AC.

Even more insulting is the $200 offer for our 2008 Kia Spectra5 (145K miles) Really, the KBB trade-in is $577 - $319 "local market" adjustment. No.
KBB Private Party for the car is $3188 avg. I understand that trade-in is less, but an order of magnitude less? Nope, KBB.com says $1158 avg.

I mean, I get it: they don't want older cars, but drat, just say that.

edit: they actually weren't far off on the trade-in for the CV: $181-$418, $250 avg. Yikes.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 19, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

On a scale of 1-10 how bad of an idea would a 99 911 Cabriolet with a clean title but carfax shows salvage history, tiptronic trans, 50k miles and "the top doesn't fit good" if I could get it for 8 cash? They are asking more.

Think of how many firetrucks you could buy for that.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rhyno posted:

Think of how many firetrucks you could buy for that.

:hmmyes:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
salvage title plus top don't shut are definitely correlated

stay away

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

everdave posted:

I can’t remember who said it but ones of the guests on the smoking tire recently said something like “ buy the nice one and cry once” when it came to classic cars.

Run away or be prepared to run to the bank several times.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

salvage title plus top don't shut are definitely correlated

stay away

God, so much this.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

God, so much this.

As much as I like bad ideas, I'm agreeing here. Some ideas are too bad to even do ironically. An untwisted Porsche convertible with slight twist is a terrible idea, unless you get it for disposable money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HEY GUYS.....I found another IROC going to look at it and actually drive it this weekend :v: