Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
The Fast movies are pretty much a modern day GI Joe but without a cool toy line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

5 was also when they all developed their role-specific super powers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I have come to the conclusion that Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is not a racing/heist movie like the others. The stakes are more personal for the characters, and the driving portions are more meditative than normal, rather than explosive cg shots of engines igniting, you get relatively calm shots of Cars drifting like leaves riding a current in a river. It's a Kung Fu movie. Just instead of fighting with their bodies, they settle it in their cars. Even their discussions of the cars themselves are more Buddhist than normal. In the previous movies, it was all "oh poo poo my car, gently caress my life is over!" but in this one, the yakuza kid's friend sacrifices his car just to see how the main character handles it. It's not about the cars here, or any contents or shipments, it's all about the character of the driver, with the car as an extension of the driver. Even the dialog is more about how driving makes the character's feel, rather than any monetary gain. The cars are windows into the souls and characters of the people who drive them. The goofy sidekick has a goofy car, and the other characters have similarly matching cars. The yakuzas and main character have standard Fast Furious cars, and his father has a simple basic car that is a metaphor for his life and family, a total mess with missing parts that he's trying to best to put back together.

Hell, let's discuss the main cars too. The main character has a standard heroic red racer that's a classic car type. The Yakuza brat with the yellow hair has a garish black and gold thing that almost looks dragon-like with it's swirly design, the Yakuza's friend's car is a friendly orange colour but marred with a thick black line down the middle reminding the viewer that he is linked inextricably to the villains, but with the orange paint job showing that he could potentially be redeemed and become a main character in his own right once out of Yakuza shadow. Finally the main villain's car is silver with jet black decals. Simple, with no need for pretense.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Feb 18, 2020

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Pussy Quipped posted:

5 was also when they all developed their role-specific super powers.

Foxfire_ posted:

Fast and Furious I is literally a remake of Point Break with cars instead of surfing
Fast and Furious II is a generic 80's action movie made in 2003
Fast and Furious III is the Karate Kid but with cars instead of karate
Fast and Furious IV+ are superhero movies where everyone's superpower is CAR, and CAR can solve all problems somehow.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know how much creative control he's actually got over the franchise, but always thought "The F&F movies are (or became) Vin Diesel putting an RPG campaign onscreen" to be not a particularly controversial read of the series

You've got the lowly beginnings, the early-session weirdness, the elevating stakes, gradually more well-defined character abilities, players dropping in and out, even that one guy who tries to make the campaign all about him.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I have come to the conclusion that Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is not a racing/heist movie like the others. The stakes are more personal for the characters, and the driving portions are more meditative than normal, rather than explosive cg shots of engines igniting, you get relatively calm shots of Cars drifting like leaves riding a current in a river. It's a Kung Fu movie. Just instead of fighting with their bodies, they settle it in their cars. Even their discussions of the cars themselves are more Buddhist than normal. In the previous movies, it was all "oh poo poo my car, gently caress my life is over!" but in this one, the yakuza kid's friend sacrifices his car just to see how the main character handles it. It's not about the cars here, or any contents or shipments, it's all about the character of the driver, with the car as an extension of the driver. Even the dialog is more about how driving makes the character's feel, rather than any monetary gain. The cars are windows into the souls and characters of the people who drive them. The goofy sidekick has a goofy car, and the other characters have similarly matching cars. The yakuzas and main character have standard Fast Furious cars, and his father has a simple basic car that is a metaphor for his life and family, a total mess with missing parts that he's trying to best to put back together.

Hell, let's discuss the main cars too. The main character has a standard heroic red racer that's a classic car type. The Yakuza brat with the yellow hair has a garish black and gold thing that almost looks dragon-like with it's swirly design, the Yakuza's friend's car is a friendly orange colour but marred with a thick black line down the middle reminding the viewer that he is linked inextricably to the villains, but with the orange paint job showing that he could potentially be redeemed and become a main character in his own right once out of Yakuza shadow. Finally the main villain's car is silver with jet black decals. Simple, with no need for pretense.

sounds like this movie has a lot in common with speed racer

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Phy posted:

I don't know how much creative control he's actually got over the franchise, but always thought "The F&F movies are (or became) Vin Diesel putting an RPG campaign onscreen" to be not a particularly controversial read of the series

You've got the lowly beginnings, the early-session weirdness, the elevating stakes, gradually more well-defined character abilities, players dropping in and out, even that one guy who tries to make the campaign all about him.

The rumour is that his and the Rock's beef is over creative control of the series, and that Diesel has slowly been losing that battle the last few films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

scary ghost dog posted:

sounds like this movie has a lot in common with speed racer

It does actually.

Scaramouche posted:

The rumour is that his and the Rock's beef is over creative control of the series, and that Diesel has slowly been losing that battle the last few films.

I think The Rock lost a lot of leverage there after Hobbes and Shaw came out and only made a little more than half of what the last few F&F sequels did.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Phy posted:

That's literally The Chronicles of Riddick. Diesel even insisted that the other main cast members play his D&D campaign. And yes, I'd kill to see a recording of an RPG session where Vin Diesel was the DM and the PCs were Keith David, Karl Urban, Thandie Newton and Judi loving Dench.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Phy posted:

Writing your friends character out when he moves away and then retconning the touching death and send-off you did for him when he moves back into town 2 years later and wants to join the group again.
Then retconning the story so that your current campaign is actually a prequel to your earlier campaign when he announces he’s moving again but just to kill his character off “the same way you did it last time”, and now another couple years later he’s back in town and you have to think of some ridiculous reason his character is not actually dead because he refuses to just make another one.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Stop watching the F&F movies and go watch Baby Driver. A dumb name for a good movie, despite sex pest Kevin Spacey.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cacafuego posted:

Stop watching the F&F movies and go watch Baby Driver. A dumb name for a good movie, despite sex pest Kevin Spacey.

Or just watch Drive which is much better than all of these

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Baby driver was a good(?) film but not as good as it could have been from the elevator pitch

I was disappointed but it was ok

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Cacafuego posted:

Baby Driver. A dumb name for a good movie
But a pretty great song by Simon & Garfunkel. Granted, not their most iconic song, but still, catchy as hell and I'm kinda glad it inspired a movie (which I still haven't seen sadly)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jestery posted:

Baby driver was a good(?) film but not as good as it could have been from the elevator pitch

I was disappointed but it was ok

I think Drive had a stronger elevator pitch.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 10:43 on Feb 19, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Drive was a poo poo movie with a great soundtrack.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

Just watching Tokyo Drift, just wanted to say the Hulk car owns. Also this is literal Mario Kart tactics. Edit: My god, watching the main character fail at drifting just makes me think of me playing Gumball 3000 (PS2 racing game) a few days ago, constantly smashing into sides of the track and poo poo because I didn't know the controls. Painful.

Tokyo Drift isn't a movie, it's Keiichi "DRIFT KING" Tsuchiya's highlight reel since he was one of the stunt drivers for the movie.

Supposedly there was a part where the director told him he had to make the drifts look sloppier since the character was supposed to be new at this, and Keiichi's response was "if you want this to look bad get in the car and do it yourself"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

I think Drive had a stronger elevator pitch.

Is that pitch a dude stomps a hitman's head into red muck in an elevator?

I loved how Drive had all the standard movie framing of "love interest's husband is getting out of jail, you know he's going to be an rear end in a top hat and it's going to be one of the big conflicts of the movie", and then he isn't, the protagonist helps him out on his one last job, and he's killed at the end of it. I think Oscar Isaac is in the movie for like ten, fifteen minutes tops.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is that pitch a dude stomps a hitman's head into red muck in an elevator?

:thejoke:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

The best conversation in the movie was when the local girl tells the American guy about how her ancestors lived in the hills of Tokyo, and how they could "feel" the spirit of the drift or something along those lines. It's just so silly it loops back around to being great :allears:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cacafuego posted:

Baby Driver is a terrible movie based on a great idea. Terrible.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Drive has very little driving in comparison. Definitely one of the most misleading marketing jobs in movie history.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

Drive has very little driving in comparison. Definitely one of the most misleading marketing jobs in movie history.

Someone actually sued the studio about it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Someone actually sued the studio about it.

Did the studio invite them to suck their dick from the back about it? Seems like the only proper response.

For example, there wasn't a single body of water anywhere in Reservoir Dogs but I don't think any lawsuits were brought to bear over it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Memento posted:

Did the studio invite them to suck their dick from the back about it? Seems like the only proper response.

For example, there wasn't a single body of water anywhere in Reservoir Dogs but I don't think any lawsuits were brought to bear over it

The lawsuit went on for at LEAST five more years and had some interesting and crazy twists about it.

Heres an article.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Memento posted:

The Drive marketing as a car-focused action movie went far beyond the title.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

It holds up for exactly one viewing and only because the stupid ending is at the end of the movie so you don't have enough time to go 'wtf?'.

The driving sequences are good. The music is good. The single long take shot is good. Jon Hamm and Jamie Foxx are good. Kevin Spacey has a satisfying character arc to the shattered remains of his career bleeding out on the concrete...the rest isn't very good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

torgeaux posted:

Yeah I absolutely do not get the hype for Baby Driver.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edgar Wright told Marvel to do one so he could make it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Agreed, and that's not to say it's bad. I think it's a pretty solid little action flick with some interesting characters but there was definitely a weird level of hype surrounding it when it came out that I just don't get. Maybe it was just the fact that Ansel Elgort was the star and he was actually not bad?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Basebf555 posted:

Agreed, and that's not to say it's bad. I think it's a pretty solid little action flick with some interesting characters but there was definitely a weird level of hype surrounding it when it came out that I just don't get. Maybe it was just the fact that Ansel Elgort was the star and he was actually not bad?

It has some really great real driving in it, and has some great moments. It's definitely not as good as it should be, though. The entire middle just drags with the whole fall in love with the waitress plotline.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If Edgar Wright doesn't make Baby Driver, no one cares about Baby Driver. It's a vehicle (ha, get it) for him.

Ant-Man was a good Marvel movie, but man oh man can you even imagine the Edgar Wright version.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

If Edgar Wright doesn't make Baby Driver, no one cares about Baby Driver. It's a vehicle (ha, get it) for him.

Ant-Man was a good Marvel movie, but man oh man can you even imagine the Edgar Wright version.

I think it really was equal parts Wright and Elgort. It's easy to forget that Elgort was really hot a few years ago after The Fault in Our Stars. He was also in the Divergent series so for teenage girls he was really popular there for a while.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I think it really was equal parts Wright and Elgort. It's easy to forget that Elgort was really hot a few years ago after The Fault in Our Stars. He was also in the Divergent series so for teenage girls he was really popular there for a while.

I know nothing about Elgort, but he was good in the movie.

Then I'm watching Downton Abbey because I'm old and hey, Debora is British.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

I know nothing about Elgort, but he was good in the movie.

Then I'm watching Downton Abbey because I'm old and hey, Debora is British.

She's also in a movie called Yesterday. Had never heard of it but watched it on a plane and it was really good, she's great in it.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I'm glad Dan Stevens managed to get out of Downton Abbey and started wearing towels in The Guest

Also he was good in Apostle

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He was in another movie, damned if I can remember the name of it, but it was pretty good. Had him going to another dimension or timeline to fix a problem with the unlimited energy machine he built.

Pretty sure it's on amazon prime, if not netflix.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He was in another movie, damned if I can remember the name of it, but it was pretty good. Had him going to another dimension or timeline to fix a problem with the unlimited energy machine he built.

Pretty sure it's on amazon prime, if not netflix.

Kill Switch, most of which took in place in first person with Dan Stevens basically narrating his part. It was terribly clunky first person too (especially compared to Hardcore Henry). There is a clear case of the main character tossing a grenade in a one-handed manner like was too busy holding the camera in the other.

It was based on this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU_reTt7Hj4

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea!

I loving hated HH though. The entire time I was trying to watch it I was like "DUDE loving LOOK UP, STOP STARING AT THE FLOOR GOD drat" cause gently caress he just, always had the floor in focus. It was like watching a newb play their first FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Krispy Wafer posted:

It holds up for exactly one viewing and only because the stupid ending is at the end of the movie so you don't have enough time to go 'wtf?'.

The driving sequences are good. The music is good. The single long take shot is good. Jon Hamm and Jamie Foxx are good. Kevin Spacey has a satisfying character arc to the shattered remains of his career bleeding out on the concrete...the rest isn't very good.

I agree with everything but your first sentence.

The ending didn't ruin it for me. The crime sequences were too stupid for words. Each driving sequence has at least one moment where the gang is in the clear but they come screaming around a corner in a way guaranteed to draw attention. "Okay, guys, we've gotten away clean, what should we do now? Hey, let's do some great driving stunts!"