Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Panspermia is a stupid hypothesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Virgin alone in the universe vs Chad panspermia

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
I wanna see an alien so bad

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I bet there was life mere hundreds of millions years after big bang, swimming through still warm space, eating and releasing space gas.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Captain's log stardate 2715.4.82

SPACE

FARTS

end of entry

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Panspermia is a stupid hypothesis.

If fungi and tardigrades can survive in space then I think the hypothesis is at least worthy of consideration.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pewdiepie posted:

If fungi and tardigrades can survive in space then I think the hypothesis is at least worthy of consideration.

Not for billions of years they can't.

Besides, what's more likely, that life arose on Earth or that life arose on Krypton that exploded and sent space rocks full of organisms through space?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Panspermia is the Buckaroo Bonsai of theories, it's just dumb as poo poo on every level but I can't quite articulate why it's at least a little cool that it's a thing that exists

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Not for billions of years they can't.

Besides, what's more likely, that life arose on Earth or that life arose on Krypton that exploded and sent space rocks full of organisms through space?

I’d feel like both of those are unlikely possibilities and it may have even been a little bit of column a and a little bit of column b.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Pewdiepie posted:

Space is pretty empty. For space bugs to arbitrarily find even one or two planets where they could thrive their distribution would have to be so dense they'd blot out the stars, and for them to disburse enough to cover the galaxy they'd pretty much need to have formed close to the start of expansion and spread with space itself. I mean space bugs kicked up from asteroid impacts jumping bodies in the same solar system may be improbable, but it's not batshit crazy improbable. On the scale of a galaxy or universally it just doesn't work.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Frankenstyle posted:

Space is pretty empty. For space bugs to arbitrarily find even one or two planets where they could thrive their distribution would have to be so dense they'd blot out the stars, and for them to disburse enough to cover the galaxy they'd pretty much need to have formed close to the start of expansion and spread with space itself. I mean space bugs kicked up from asteroid impacts jumping bodies in the same solar system may be improbable, but it's not batshit crazy improbable. On the scale of a galaxy or universally it just doesn't work.

So you’re saying there’s a chance...

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Frankenstyle posted:

love finds a way...

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Pontificating rear end posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out what point you're trying to make but I will EXPOUND on this part anyway. If we assume life evolved only on Earth, then it took about 3.8 billion years so that leaves a 10 billion year old universe. From what I've read, the universe can sustain life at 1-2 billion years old so maybe that leaves 8 billion years in between Creation and Earth.

Basically I don't think life started on earth. It spent billions of years elsewhere evolving into single-cell organisms or tardigrades or whatever, then spent millions of years floating through space. This limits the spread of life to a certain area (it won't be travelling between galaxies), but also means the evolution of humans and any potential aliens is parallel. A single cell-organism may have landed on earth at 10 billion universe years, then landed in Zeta Reticuli at 10-billion-40 years. Thus we have our reptile overlords that evolved slightly faster than us.

Nice username/post combo.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

aliens are real

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
God made man, but he used the monkey to do it. Ape’s in the plan, and we’re all here to prove it. I can walk like an ape, talk like an ape, I can do what a monkey can do; God made man, but the monkey supplied the glue.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
How the gently caress has nobody mentioned salvatore pais, the navy scientist who has recently patented:

Room temperature superconductors
Compact fusion reactors claimed to be able to power military craft
Actual flying saucers harnessing the above two things

It's my opinion this poo poo is all a big psyop to convince the Chinese and Russians to waste money trying to develop these things by claiming we already have them, because you don't normally see a military branch openly and publicly patenting something so ground breaking normally, but the other option is that we really do have flying saucers now that can also go underwater.

I'm an astrophysicist and have spent a decade studying the night sky and never saw anything that astronomers would consider out of the ordinary so I'm gonna go with 'whatever it is originated here on earth, if it's not one big psyop.'

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28729/docs-show-navy-got-ufo-patent-granted-by-warning-of-similar-chinese-tech-advances

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Here is a link to the actual patented ufo design, complete with propulsion methods that would render a craft moving precisely as reported by the navy (note that I still do not believe this is anything but a psyop, however the physics mostly appears to work and the only big leap is the assumption that emdrive like cavities with rf do cause a propulsive force, and that you have a magic fusion reactor to power it all) :

https://patents.google.com/patent/US10144532B2/en

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

How the gently caress has nobody mentioned salvatore pais, the navy scientist who has recently patented:

It's my opinion this poo poo is all a big psyop to convince the Chinese and Russians to waste money trying to develop these things by claiming we already have them, because you don't normally see a military branch openly and publicly patenting something so ground breaking normally, but the other option is that we really do have flying saucers now that can also go underwater.

I'm an astrophysicist and have spent a decade studying the night sky and never saw anything that astronomers would consider out of the ordinary so I'm gonna go with 'whatever it is originated here on earth, if it's not one big psyop.'

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/28729/docs-show-navy-got-ufo-patent-granted-by-warning-of-similar-chinese-tech-advances

Thanks, I hadn't heard about this.

There's some great conspiracy fodder in that article.

quote:

Interestingly enough, both Pais’ research and some of his patents also contain acknowledgments to the work of Dr. Harold E. Puthoff, co-founder and Vice President of Science and Technology of To the Stars Academy. Puthoff is an electrical engineer and inventor who has published research on polarized vacuums, but has also been extensively involved with paranormal and somewhat pseudoscientific topics such as remote viewing.

quote:

Furthermore, Pais notes in the paper that such a technology “would permit swift movement of the HAUC beyond our Solar System.” Is this an undisclosed reason why we suddenly need a Space Force? Is this what Air Force Lieutenant General Vera Linn Jamieson was referring to last year when she casually dropped during an unrelated interview that in "different galaxies in the future we’re going to actually have capability that we have right now in the air”? And this is hardly the only highly peculiar thing that Air Force leadership has spouted off about in regards to the future of America's military footprint in space.

The argument that they need to patent it to ensure they own the technology if it's ever made is weak af. Like China is going to give up on advanced tech because another country says they own it.

I agree the boring but likely answer is that they're trying to make China and Russia waste a bunch of money on a fantasy.

But

quote:

It is also important to note that if the Navy had wanted this patent to remain classified, it could have filed the patent under the Invention Secrecy Act of 1951 (35 U.S.C. ch. 17), a law which allows patents to remain classified if they might pose a possible threat to the national security of the United States. Instead, all of Pais' patents are currently fully available to the public. If such a propulsion technology was so revolutionary and if the Navy indeed wanted to keep this technology out of others' hands, it’s curious that they would choose to make the patent public. Maybe the Navy is signaling to its adversaries that it, too, is aware of this revolutionary capability and to whom it belongs.

maybe the UFOs seen in those Navy videos were Chinese and we're now in the middle of a futuristic arms race. Electromagnetically powered butt probes are coming.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Here is a link to the actual patented ufo design, complete with propulsion methods that would render a craft moving precisely as reported by the navy (note that I still do not believe this is anything but a psyop, however the physics mostly appears to work and the only big leap is the assumption that emdrive like cavities with rf do cause a propulsive force, and that you have a magic fusion reactor to power it all) :

I don't know what the purpose of the patents are but if they wanted to pique the interest of the Chinese and Russians they would probably surreptitiously leak it through unofficial channels especially since the supposed targets have spies in a myriad of American industries. The Chinese aren't stupid people and I'm not sure a psy-op like this would work in the age of the internet. It's interesting to be sure.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Any crackpot can patent something. Who cares?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Thinking about it, I suspect that these UFO's are considered a very real but unknown technology by the people who work in military and aerospace. I don't consider it far-fetched for entrepreneurial scientists to just throw their best concepts at the wall and hope that when/if these technologies are ever found that they stick.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Who What Now posted:

in this case the crackpot is the most well funded military branch on the planet

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Tarkus posted:

Thinking about it, I suspect that these UFO's are considered a very real but unknown technology by the people who work in military and aerospace. I don't consider it far-fetched for entrepreneurial scientists to just throw their best concepts at the wall and hope that when/if these technologies are ever found that they stick.

This patent sounds (even more) insane when they get to the actual numbers. The example they provide is that if this resonant cavity design was used in a ~4m dia. disc spinning at 30krpm (roughly a high-end angle grinder under no load), it would generate a 1024 W/m2 EM field. That's a yottawatt. Literally the highest named decimal prefix. A septillion.

I'm not a super scientist math guy so just gonna assume that I'm an idiot and am misreading this and/or that it's entirely bonkers and a throwaway speculative thing with no basis in reality. The Navy has plenty of money and time to throw at weird poo poo and no reason not to, for a variety of reasons.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 19, 2020

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Panspermia is dumb because it doesn't actually answer any questions about the origin of biological life. It just pushes back the start date by a couple billion years.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

This patent sounds (even more) insane when they get to the actual numbers. The example they provide is that if this resonant cavity design was used in a ~4m dia. disc spinning at 30krpm (roughly a high-end angle grinder under no load), it would generate a 1024 W/m2 EM field. That's a yottawatt. Literally the highest named decimal prefix. A septillion.

I'm not a super scientist math guy so just gonna assume that I'm an idiot and am misreading this and/or that it's entirely bonkers and a throwaway speculative thing with no basis in reality. The Navy has plenty of money and time to throw at weird poo poo and no reason not to, for a variety of reasons.

Yeah, I'm at 'knowledgeable layman' level at best and partially understood what was going on in the patent but it seemed like a lot of wishful thinking. I would imagine that the people who work in the field have more information about the phenomena than the general public and that they are trying to come up with ways to shoehorn known physics into an unknown technology. That's just a guess though.

I can imagine though that if they are convinced that these things are real that it would be a very fascinating problem for a scientist.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

lol I didn't know you could patent bullshit gibberish.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

this dudes cia dont read his lies

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Pawn 17 posted:

lol I didn't know you could patent bullshit gibberish.

Yeah I was pretty taken aback but then again it appears the US govt can do literally whatever the gently caress they want so I guess it's a brave new world now.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Has anyone talked about loving the aliens yet? Because that is important.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Who What Now posted:

A scientist put his name on it, and someone from the military wrote in to support it. Even if nothing else about this is real, it's funny that these people are taking it seriously enough to do that.

Rad-daddio posted:

Only if your dick reaches into the 4th dimension.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Rad-daddio posted:

Those animu girls have eyes as big as dinner plates and mouths the size of a quarter, I think we're already there. Japan is ahead of the curve.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It's not just a guy from the navy writing in to support it. It was applied for by the navy.

The patent is assigned to 'DEPARTMENT OF NAVY' just as the superconductor and fusion reactor ones are too.

The navy owns these patents, not the inventor.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Maybe if salvatore ate fewer pais he wouldn't be so full of poo poo!!

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Pewdiepie posted:

So you’re saying there’s a chance...

in the ice of a comet, maybe. but that would suggest a comet having planetary origins and you'd still have to contend with all the radiation and other hazards of space travel

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
Reading the Three Body Problem trilogy while baked as hell was a good experience. Highly recommended for expanding your perception of the universe and aliens, and making you feel like a speck of nothing so you may as well just live a good happy life while you have it. A+

We are minuscule and insignificant. It is self-destructively arrogant to believe otherwise, or to think that we can even begin to understand any "life" that exists outside of our relativistic perspective. Do you think the dust mites in your eyelashes understand where tears come from, let alone what made you cry in the first place? Does your gut biome understand the concept of a "cow" after you eat a burger?

If life exists elsewhere in the 3D universe that is capable of coming to Earth, they have the power to do things we can't even begin to understand. If life exists outside the 3D universe, then they have a perception of "our" universe that is as alien to us as a supernova is to an amoeba.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Tipps posted:

Reading the Three Body Problem trilogy while baked as hell was a good experience. Highly recommended for expanding your perception of the universe and aliens, and making you feel like a speck of nothing so you may as well just live a good happy life while you have it. A+

We are minuscule and insignificant. It is self-destructively arrogant to believe otherwise, or to think that we can even begin to understand any "life" that exists outside of our relativistic perspective. Do you think the dust mites in your eyelashes understand where tears come from, let alone what made you cry in the first place? Does your gut biome understand the concept of a "cow" after you eat a burger?

If life exists elsewhere in the 3D universe that is capable of coming to Earth, they have the power to do things we can't even begin to understand. If life exists outside the 3D universe, then they have a perception of "our" universe that is as alien to us as a supernova is to an amoeba.

I have this sitting on my bookshelf. I'll get blazed tonight and let you all know what I find out. I'll get to the bottom of this.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Saucer Hovers posted:

in this case the crackpot is the most well funded military branch on the planet

The military signs off on dumb poo poo all the time. Like the F-35

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Another fun book to read while stoned is Bridget Brown’s “They Know Us Better Than We Know Ourselves” about the origin, propagation and purpose of alien abduction myth

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think life probably does exist elsewhere. How could it not? The universe is incredibly vast, and there are a large number of planets with equivalent conditions to Earth. We don't even know if Earth is the only conditions in which life can thrive anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipps
Apr 18, 2006

party in the front

business in the back
We keep finding that no matter how far you go into the microscopic universe, there's just smaller and smaller moving bits keeping things humming along. Complex eukaryotes > cells > molecules > atoms > quarks > superstrings > [???]

It's arrogant to think that the macroscopic life stops at eukaryotes. Who the heck knows what is in the tiers above us.