Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

fatherofmustard posted:

What's the most overbooked match ever?

I'd say Taker/Yoko from Royal Rumble '94 where the entire heel roster comes out to lock Taker in the coffin and then watch as he lectures them from the tron before ascending to heaven is up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'd say Taker/Yoko from Royal Rumble '94 where the entire heel roster comes out to lock Taker in the coffin and then watch as he lectures them from the tron before ascending to heaven is up there.

And then they had segments on Raw where Leslie Nielsen was looking in grocery stores and delis trying to find the Undertaker!

Which led us to the incredible FAKE UNDERTAKER story.

Man, wrestling is amazing. :allears:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Vandar posted:

And then they had segments on Raw where Leslie Nielsen was looking in grocery stores and delis trying to find the Undertaker!

Which led us to the incredible FAKE UNDERTAKER story.

Man, wrestling is amazing. :allears:

Yo, I saw the Undertaker order three dozen coffin shaped donuts.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Coleman vs. Shogun at Pride 31 was a nightmare. They're doing an injury angle, a language barrier angle, and a WCW style mass run-in. And the audience can't get that excited for Phil Baroni and Wanderlei Silva running in because the whole team is there. Just a mess.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What are some of the worst feuds ever? I don't mean a good story with a bad match or a good match with a poo poo story, I mean all the way through bad where the best part is that it's finally over.

I nominate Hogan/Warrior II.

Shoutout to Rusev/Ziggler, the Patient Zero of the recent cuck angles. It took Rusev and Lana leaking their real life relationship status to TMZ to get the feud mercy killed.

It feels like cheating to mention a lot of recent WWE feuds, especially Divas/“Women’s Revolution” feuds like the Bella Twins (“I WIDH YOU DIED IN THE WOMB!”). But yeah, there’s been a LOT of lovely feuds with little to no payoff in the last 10-15 years. :shrug:

Edit: counterpoint to my own nomination, Rusev/Ziggler at least had “Take the fish.”

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pope Corky the IX posted:

You forgot that it paid off at Survivor Series with ANOTHER Taker vs Yoko casket match, this time with special guest enforcer Chuck Norris to keep the baddies from interfering. I think he kicked Jeff Jarrett.

(I liked the first casket match. One of the evil heels jumping Taker was Genichiro Tenryu, and it had the right level of kitschy. Honestly by the standards of early '90s Undertaker feuds the Yokozuna one was not that bad. He got little to work with until the Mankind feud in '96)

From my rewatch of the first 3 & a half years of Raw I think I'd say IRS/The Million Dollar Corporation vs Undertaker was much worse. And Taker vs Giant Gonzalez with the loving chloroform spot and all the other nonsense.

As for the worst feud I remember, Jerry Lawler vs Doink The Clown was bad. Face Doink was rubbish, his mini lookalikes were god awful, & it all culminated at Survivor Series '94 (some show that was, good job it had Hart vs Backlund) with an elimination tag between Lawler & some midgets against Doink & some clown midgets.

Looking through the WON Awards, El Gigante vs One Man Gang in 1990 isn't one I've seen about sounds like the drizzling shits.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
shouts out to the single best spot in the entirety of wrestling history

(which they repeated to very diminished results at RR94)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Undertaker's feuds with Yokozuna and the Million Dollar Corporation basically tie together and it's one of the weirdest stretches of long-term wrestling storytelling.

- Survivor Series 93 has a USA vs. Evil Foreigners match and in the setup, Tatanka is put on the shelf. Undertaker fills in for him and boasts about "AMERICAN PRIIIIIIIIDE" via revealing a 1776 US flag stitched to the inside of his coat.

- The match is the first meeting between Undertaker and Yokozuna with the two being counted out due to Yokozuna being spooked by Undertaker's no-selling.

- Undertaker is given a title shot against Yokozuna at Royal Rumble 94 in a casket match. Undertaker spends weeks boasting about the giant-rear end casket he made specifically for Yokozuna. At the match itself, about 10-12 heels run out to beat the everloving poo poo out of Undertaker, overwhelming his usual invulnerability. None of the faces decide to help him at all. The urn is dumped out (with smoke coming out of it) and Undertaker is finally contained into the casket. This both kills him and gives him The Ring powers where he cuts a promo from inside the casket, then flies from the Titantron to Heaven.

- While Paul Bearer has no idea WTF, Ted Dibiase claims that he's bringing the Undertaker back. He brings in an evil Undertaker, who looks exactly like the actual Undertaker unless they're standing together. He spends a few weeks beating up jobbers while being drawn to wads of cash instead of the urn.

- WWF officials announce that the main event of SummerSlam 94 is Undertaker vs. Undertaker, but at the same time don't understand how that's possible. They hire actor Leslie Nielsen to figure things out because he played a detective in three movies and six episodes of a TV show.

- The Undertaker delivers Dominos pizza to Leslie Nielsen.

- At SummerSlam, the real Undertaker returns with new purple gloves to beat up his doppelganger in a boring match. While that's going on, Leslie Nielsen is joined in his mission by George Kennedy. Doing a Naked Gun reunion is odd timing, considering this is two months after the OJ murders. Fake Undertaker is thrown into a casket and then literally vanishes, never to be seen again.

- Undertaker decides to get revenge on Yokozuna and they do another casket match at Survivor Series 94. This time Chuck Norris (sure, why not) is there to guard the ramp and kick any random heels who want to interfere. This time Undertaker wins and presumably kidnaps/murders Yokozuna.

- Ted Dibiase doesn't take too kindly to his Undertaker clone being slain, so he has his Million Dollar Corporation target the Undertaker. IRS steals the urn because taxes.

- Mr. Fuji has TV detective Nicholas Turturro try to arrest Paul Bearer for the disappearance of Yokozuna. Bearer tries to get out of this by disguising himself as a woman. The Undertaker turns off the lights, dresses Fuji up as a woman and Turturro decides that Bearer and Undertaker are innocent of wrongdoing because neither is dressed like a woman.

- Undertaker goes through the Million Dollar Corporation, including beating King Kong Bundy at WrestleMania. Even though Bundy is easily the biggest threat of the stable, the feud gets stretched several more months so Undertaker can fight Kama the Supreme Fighting Machine. Kama has the gimmick of being an expert in various martial arts, but still wrestling like a normal wrestler. It's like when you make a CAW of Superman, but he doesn't fly or have super strength or heat vision.

- Kama turns the Undertaker's urn into gold chains. He also beats up the Undertaker's biggest fan: a goth in a turtleneck. Undertaker gets his revenge at SummerSlam 95, puts Kama into a casket, gets his "urn" back, and realizes that he should probably go back to challenging for the world title again, what with him being nigh invincible and all.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That's almost as wild of a ride as Kane's entire story. Undertaker probably has him beat overall, since he's been around slightly longer.

I appreciate that both of them had storylines involving fake clones of themselves.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kama agreed to leave for wcw but wcw hired virgil instead and didn't tell kama or ever contact him about it. In case anyone had a question about that

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just read that Virgil was in AEW. Was he just brought in as a fun bit for hardcore fans?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I just read that Virgil was in AEW. Was he just brought in as a fun bit for hardcore fans?

Pretty much that. He appeared in a pretape about Chris Jericho parodying a video about Cody.

Rumor has it he stole someone's hoodie.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

yeah he did a couple of segments with Jericho and the Inner Circle. He was part of a video package and then MC for Jericho's live celebration

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm assuming that's not an in-joke I missed, and he actually stole someone's hoodie. Never change, Virgil.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Gavok posted:

- Mr. Fuji has TV detective Nicholas Turturro try to arrest Paul Bearer for the disappearance of Yokozuna. Bearer tries to get out of this by disguising himself as a woman. The Undertaker turns off the lights, dresses Fuji up as a woman and Turturro decides that Bearer and Undertaker are innocent of wrongdoing because neither is dressed like a woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G50ujPK05z8

Huh I never knew about this.

That WM 11 reminds me on how much WWE tried to stay relevant by bringing in a shitload of celebrities.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Virgil unironically had one of the best lines in AEW history.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
gently caress Money?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Virgil unironically had one of the best lines in AEW history.

"Chris Jericho's talent is like Olive Garden's Breadsticks, unlimited."

or

"I don't know anything about goats, I'm not a farmer. But Chris Jericho is the greatest of all time."

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

karmicknight posted:

"Chris Jericho's talent is like Olive Garden's Breadsticks, unlimited."

or

"I don't know anything about goats, I'm not a farmer. But Chris Jericho is the greatest of all time."

Was thinking of the former, but the goat line is fantastic too.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Was thinking of the former, but the goat line is fantastic too.

The whole Cody parody segment is one of the best things AEW has ever done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0WsXcPNZSo

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lamuella posted:

smh @ coward tony bleeping the best line in that promo

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lamuella posted:

Thanks, I just laughed so hard that it hurts.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

karmicknight posted:

Why THE gently caress didn’t anyone mention this line in the This thread a couple days ago. That would have received some serious lol’s.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Gavok posted:

- Kama turns the Undertaker's urn into gold chains. He also beats up the Undertaker's biggest fan: a goth in a turtleneck. Undertaker gets his revenge at SummerSlam 95, puts Kama into a casket, gets his "urn" back, and realizes that he should probably go back to challenging for the world title again, what with him being nigh invincible and all.

Holy crap I'd forgotten them. The Creatures Of The Night or whatever we were supposed to think of them as. Just a couple of goths who hung out in the front row for Undertaker segments. Who were they? Was there a plan? Why any of that?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think Prichard, who is a shameless shill for wwe and justifies every lovely thing wwe does on his podcast, said they were just to build interest/hype for undertakers return and nothing more

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I think Prichard, who is a shameless shill for wwe and justifies every lovely thing wwe does on his podcast, said they were just to build interest/hype for undertakers return and nothing more

There used to be a urban myth on the web that it was Shane and Stephanie

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I love those Kama vignettes where he's riding a motorcycle around the desert like a bounty hunter.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Godfather was a face at some point right? As a pimp with a ho train, I don't know how but knowing the attitude era he was prolly over as hell as a Pimp.

Then he became the goodfather or whatever, I don't know, I didn't watch after the ho train stopped!

also didn't Kama get loving clowned in the Brawl 4 all but still advanced cause Severn was like lol

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWF_Brawl_for_All#Brawl_for_All_tournament_bracket

God I love looking at that Tourney Results Chart so I can remember Bart Gunn kicking the poo poo out of JBL; though JBL winning and getting his head knocked off by Butterbean would have been way more satisfying

Hirez fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 19, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hirez posted:

Godfather was a face at some point right? As a pimp with a ho train, I don't know how but knowing the attitude era he was prolly over as hell as a Pimp.

Then he became the goodfather or whatever, I don't know, I didn't watch after the ho train stopped!

He was hella over. Also his prematch spiel was usually longer than the matches

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Charles Wright's WWF career arc works thusly:
Papa Shango -> Ultimate Fighting Machine Kama -> Kama Mustafa of the Nation of Domination -> The Godfather (the pimp) -> The Goodfather of RTC -> Back to the Godfather for a brief run.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

has there been any wrestler that transformed gimmicks (including name more (and not just for a few weeks run or whatever), cause thats alot.

Kane is up there I guess, with Isaak Yankem, Kane; Corporate Kane*. Glen Jacobs. I think he was something else at one point too

and no i dont count Murphy -> buddy murphy -> murphy -> buddy -> buddy murphy -> murphy -> saint murphy even though he's the only good part of the seth stable because the way he was recruited, Seth FN Rollings begging a guy crying on the outside of the ring for 30 minutes after losing to Black to save him. Lol seth you loving bootlicking trashbag carny

Hirez fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 19, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Hirez posted:

also didn't Kama get loving clowned in the Brawl 4 all but still advanced cause Severn was like lol

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWF_Brawl_for_All#Brawl_for_All_tournament_bracket

God I love looking at that Tourney Results Chart so I can remember Bart Gunn kicking the poo poo out of JBL; though JBL winning and getting his head knocked off by Butterbean would have been way more satisfying

Bob Holly has some pretty great Brawl For All stories. Like according to him, WWE was so convinced that Steve Williams was winning they paid him his prize money up front. Then he lost. From then on management was out to ruin Bart Gunn's poo poo, because how dare he ruin their plans by winning

Also Bob bet a whole lot of money on Steve Blackman rampaging the whole thing, which actually seemed like a decent idea until Blackman got hurt

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The Evolution of Charles Wright, WWF Superstar:

1) Papa Shango, a voodoo wizard who I believe had canonical magic powers before Undertaker did. Was slotted in as Warrior's summer feud after Sid Vicious was fired, but Warrior left/got fired before the match could happen. His entire monster heel build amounted to a quick job to WWF Champion Bret Hart and then he was let go.

2) A couple years later, Vince apparently wanted Papa Shango back and (according to WON) he was going to be revealed to have cast a spell to make Bob Backlund a heel. That was scrapped and he came back as Kama, the Supreme Fighting Machine who was never acknowledged as the former Papa Shango. He melted down Undertaker's urn and made it into a dookie chain on behalf of Ted Dibiase, jobbed to Undertaker, and was gone after after a year or so.

3) He was in talks to come in as an enforcer for the NWO, but was underbid by Virgil so he never worked for WCW.

4) Vince apparently wanted Papa Shango back again in 1997, but was talked out of it and Kama [Mustafa] the Supreme Fighting Machine returned to be part of the Nation of Domination. From there he sort of slowly slid into the Godfather character, replacing his kufi for a pimp hat and sunglasses in early 1998 and eventually just becoming "The Godfather". By the time Brawl for All rolled around he was a funloving vicious heel who brought ho's down to the ring and offered them to his opponents who was also an experienced mixed martial artist whose Fighting Machine credentials were touted by the announcers. A few months later the Godfather was a full on pimp babyface.

5) Then he was the Goodfather, then he just sort of disappeared during the Invasion, then he came back sporadically as the Godfather, a babyface character who discouraged other wrestlers from getting married.

6) Papa Shango returned on the Hardy Compound Halloween Special, which made canon that Kama Mustafa/The Godfather was in fact Papa Shango after he renounced the dark magics of vodoun.

So technically Charles Wright only played two (arguably one) roles in the WWE, though the character of Kama went through a number of life changes over the years, but really I don't know that this evolution was that different than the Undertaker or Kane's changes over the years.

Dolph Ziggler is another one with a similar arc, have they ever explicitly acknowledged that Ziggler was briefly a male cheerleader and a racist caddy? I know they explained the transitions for Festus/Luke Gallows, and I think they explained how the Majors Brothers were 'really' Hawkins and Ryder. Curtis Axel is canonically also Michael McGillicutty, but I don't think that canonically Skip Sheffield/The Ryback or Husky Harris/Bray Wyatt are the same people. Is Fandango Johnny Curtis? Are Edge and Christian still lowkey vampires? Did R-Truth ever get rowdy and/or move some things?

Perhaps the Ruthless Aggression mini-series will begin to fill in some of these continuity gaps.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 19, 2020

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Corbin went from being a biker dude to a TGI Fridays Waiter to a King.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Edge & Christian posted:

Dolph Ziggler is another one with a similar arc, have they ever explicitly acknowledged that Ziggler was briefly a male cheerleader and a racist caddy?

He brought up the former in his Summerslam 2016 feud with Ambrose and I think when he was feuding with Miz shortly afterward, Miz brought back two of the other Spirit Squad guys to mess with Ziggler (iirc he beat them in a handicap match), but I think they tried to more or less erase the latter from history.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Hirez posted:

has there been any wrestler that transformed gimmicks (including name more (and not just for a few weeks run or whatever), cause thats alot.

Brutus Beefcake has to be up there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DeathChicken posted:

Bob Holly has some pretty great Brawl For All stories. Like according to him, WWE was so convinced that Steve Williams was winning they paid him his prize money up front. Then he lost. From then on management was out to ruin Bart Gunn's poo poo, because how dare he ruin their plans by winning

Also Bob bet a whole lot of money on Steve Blackman rampaging the whole thing, which actually seemed like a decent idea until Blackman got hurt

Management didn't go out to ruin Bart Gunn's poo poo they spent a lot of time and money training him to fight Butterbean because they thought he would actually win.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
IIRC Butterbean went into that match expecting to take the fall and cash his check and was surprised when they told him it that, yes, this is an actual shoot

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 19, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Sandman McMahon posted:

Brutus Beefcake has to be up there.
He definitely holds the record for the most gimmicks that were definitely supposed to be different people. (Like, Uncle Elmer has wrestled under more names but most were slight variations on Plowboy Frazier.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Benne posted:

IIRC Butterbean went into that match expecting to take the fall and cash his check and was surprised when they told him it that, yes, this is an actual shoot

yea, now imagine that vs JBL :swoon: