Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I wouldn't be surprised if the toy company that has the Aliens license is utilizing it before they lose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm not a fan of the solid bright color for the aliens for the same reason you like it. It makes it look like a toy. Not as cool. :c00l:

That sentry gun is awesome though. Someone did their homework.

I get that, for sure. I don't collect anything but have fond memories of playing with lovely single-color action figures as a kid, so it's cool to see aliens presented in a way that isn't an ultra-detailed thing designed to sit on a shelf, but it's definitely weird and different.

Hope a bunch of kids buy these and have fun with 'em.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If that APC were a tad smaller I'd get it for 32mm doll purposes. Ten buxx is a steal.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Owlbear Camus posted:

If that APC were a tad smaller I'd get it for 32mm doll purposes. Ten buxx is a steal.

That's a 15 dollar one. Also the Power Loader set. 3 price points all cheap by modern prices. Though the odd 20 years ago my MacFarlane Queen set was like 25 dollars at Suncoast.

And these if you want more of a minifigure scale Xenomorph. 10 bucks for a 2 pack in an egg of slime with 2 Facehuggers. 3 different varieties of Xeno pair colors. I've only got 2 of the types but enough to make stupid color combos because I can. (There was a proper Xenomorph color and a generic Colonial Marine released a few years back in carded form.)

Edit: funny pics not upside down on Discord. Oh well its Aliens. Still works!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Beet Wagon posted:

I only ever had one alien toy. It was the Flying Queen Alien and it whipped so much rear end. I wanted the others but I had a weirdly difficult time finding them.

I had that one too! Flapping wings and clawed feet that could grab things or just perch on your finger

Also had the gorilla which you filled the head with water and squeezed to spray from its mouth like acid, and squeezed the back pipe things to move its arms open and closed. The tail claw broke off at one point.

And of course the bitch herself, with realist tail whipping action and an inner jaw that shot out when you squeezed the back of her head

The minicomic that came with them was like a saturday morning cartoon that never got made.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The last sentence of that Thing fanfic is loving stupid.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

About that Saturday morning cartoon...

https://youtu.be/C5ZlHHP0BXA

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Just think: in an alternate timeline, Sega backed a game that was basically Alpha Protocol with Xenomorphs, Colonial Marines got cancelled and Randy probably dropped the ball on Borderlands in the process.

Edit: There was an obscure Aliens PC RPG from the mid-90s that I remember wanting to get but I could never find, xenomrph probably knows more about it than I do.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

About that Saturday morning cartoon...

https://youtu.be/C5ZlHHP0BXA

drat, that would have been so cool. I like that he said something about "They had to draw the line somewhere" about R rated animation series. They've done other ones though like Robocop and that was pretty brutal. Ah well.

I can see myself watching Operation: Aliens on a Saturday morning, after X-Men at 10:30 on channel 14. :kimchi:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Robocop, Rambo, and even the Toxic Avenger all got Saturday morning cartoons. Aliens is relatively tame compared to them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Cartoons these days suck. They're all for babies. Including anime. Well that's for creepy grown men.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Did you know they made a "The Thing" game?
Because they made a "The Thing" game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrmHncD-z-Q

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Edit: Nevermind. Movie doesn't fit in with the thread, and the subject matter might be a little too touchy.
Plus it was kind of lame joke.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 19, 2020

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh yeah, I reinstalled AvP 2010 after clearing up some room. I'd like to play sometime.

So far the list of people interested is:
Pennywise
Splicer
Beet Wagon
Xenomrph
Jay_Zombie

That's plenty to play a coop mode. They have a few different types of modes.

The classic Deathmatch/Species Deathmatch/Mixed Species Deathmatch.

Domination which is like a capture the flag.

Infestation, one type I want to play, is a survivor mode. You play as Marines besides one alien. Each Marine that gets killed turns into an alien and joins in the slaughter.

Predator Hunt, which is similar to infestation but the predator has a time limit and each kill you get the time extends. I hate time limit.... anything in any game, but whatever. If the time limit runs out or someone kills the predator then they become the predator for that round.

And the one we all love, Survivor. Just like AvP. Waves of aliens come at you and they get increasingly stronger. Weapons are limited so you will die. Of course.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

I'd be down for a few rounds of whatever. Warning, I am beyond terrible, so have fun laughing at me while try to figure out which way is up.
I'm usually available late nights, like after 11pm EST on nights when I don't have a league event. (sim racing)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Jay_Zombie posted:

Ummm... that's kind of a weird movie to market to kids, but ok. :raise:

I unironically liked this movie because I'm kind of a sick gently caress.
(I would say that it's not for the faint of heart as it graphically depicts a guy in homemade armor going on a massive killing spree)

Wrong ‘Rampage’, he means the recent one with The Rock, based on the old arcade game with the giant monkey, crocodile, and wolf smashing up stuff.

I did see the Rampage you’re talking about and it’s better than it has any right to be, especially for a movie by Uwe loving Boll. Yeah the subject matter is hosed up, but the way it depicts it is shockingly restrained and doesn’t, like, fetishize the violence or be over the top gory or whatever. There are a lot of times where you hear the shooting sprees but don’t actually see them, which is not what I expected.

Like it’s a hard movie to “recommend” but it wasn’t the totally over the top shitshow I was expecting given the director’s track record.

Jay_Zombie posted:

That’s a game that’s cool in concept but gets ultimately crippled by the technical limitations of when it came out.
The “trust” and “fear management” thing is pretty half naked and rudimentary (although you can exploit the fear mechanic to get NPCs to do some funny stuff) and the blood test mechanic is useless because every Thing-out is scripted, and the late game devolves into fighting a lot of humans and not Things.

Fun fact: part of why the game’s mechanics are so neutered is because the dev team couldn’t find a way to make them work as originally intended, but their initial efforts are present in the game code and can be enabled with some creative hexidecimal editing in the game files.
The problem is that with everything enabled, NPCs trust in you rapidly decreases any time you leave their line of sight until they become openly hostile and attack you, and every time an NPC fights a Thing monster there’s a chance they’ll get infected, and with the level of combat that chance basically becomes 100% unless you’re fighting the enemies yourself (which makes the NPCs think you’re getting infected, which makes them not trust you).
So there’s a 100% chance that every NPC either rapidly becomes hostile and shoots you or rapidly becomes infected and turns into a Thing and attacks you, so your best course of action is to shoot all NPCs on sight. :v:

John Carpenter does voice one of the characters though, that’s pretty neat.

I’d kill for a modern Thing game with dynamic Thing-out animations, randomized infections, make it less of an action shooter and more of an adventure-horror game with character interaction and forced cooperative actions and objectives where you can’t always trust the person you’re working with.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Wrong ‘Rampage’, he means the recent one with The Rock, based on the old arcade game with the giant monkey, crocodile, and wolf smashing up stuff.

I did see the Rampage you’re talking about and it’s better than it has any right to be, especially for a movie by Uwe loving Boll. Yeah the subject matter is hosed up, but the way it depicts it is shockingly restrained and doesn’t, like, fetishize the violence or be over the top gory or whatever. There are a lot of times where you hear the shooting sprees but don’t actually see them, which is not what I expected.

Like it’s a hard movie to “recommend” but it wasn’t the totally over the top shitshow I was expecting given the director’s track record.

Ok, so I'm not the only one who actually liked it. I feel like slightly less of a sicko now.
(Yeah, I know what movie he was talking about, I was trying to make joke, just... not very well.)
You described it better than I could.

Xenomrph posted:

That’s a game that’s cool in concept but gets ultimately crippled by the technical limitations of when it came out.
The “trust” and “fear management” thing is pretty half naked and rudimentary (although you can exploit the fear mechanic to get NPCs to do some funny stuff) and the blood test mechanic is useless because every Thing-out is scripted, and the late game devolves into fighting a lot of humans and not Things.

Fun fact: part of why the game’s mechanics are so neutered is because the dev team couldn’t find a way to make them work as originally intended, but their initial efforts are present in the game code and can be enabled with some creative hexidecimal editing in the game files.
The problem is that with everything enabled, NPCs trust in you rapidly decreases any time you leave their line of sight until they become openly hostile and attack you, and every time an NPC fights a Thing monster there’s a chance they’ll get infected, and with the level of combat that chance basically becomes 100% unless you’re fighting the enemies yourself (which makes the NPCs think you’re getting infected, which makes them not trust you).
So there’s a 100% chance that every NPC either rapidly becomes hostile and shoots you or rapidly becomes infected and turns into a Thing and attacks you, so your best course of action is to shoot all NPCs on sight. :v:

John Carpenter does voice one of the characters though, that’s pretty neat.

I’d kill for a modern Thing game with dynamic Thing-out animations, randomized infections, make it less of an action shooter and more of an adventure-horror game with character interaction and forced cooperative actions and objectives where you can’t always trust the person you’re working with.

I think I remember renting it at Blockbuster once or twice, and then not understanding how the mechanics were supposed to work. The fact that they actually didn't kinda make it make more sense now.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah the trust/fear/infection mechanics were all smoke and mirrors, but on an initial play through the game did an adequate job of disguising that fact and getting you to play the game in a way that made you convince yourself that everything worked.

But if you started loving around or orchestrating scenarios to “test” the AI, you’d quickly figure out that it was all bullshit. Like you’d blood test a dude and he’d come back clean, and then walk through a doorway 2 seconds later and the guy you just tested would Thing-out because all the Thing-outs were scripted.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jay_Zombie posted:

I'd be down for a few rounds of whatever. Warning, I am beyond terrible, so have fun laughing at me while try to figure out which way is up.
I'm usually available late nights, like after 11pm EST on nights when I don't have a league event. (sim racing)

Yeah I have a rough time playing the alien in this game. I was really good at it in the original AvP but I can't get this one down. Oh well, it should still be scary for the Marines!

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Jay_Zombie posted:

I played a bit of it- it had some really cool ideas. You'd recruit NPCs who could randomly be a monster and suddenly try to kill you.

The other characters also all had different trust/sanity levels, so you would sometimes have to do the blood test to prove to them that they YOU aren't the Thing.

Honestly I think the shooting and camera was a bit janky, but I loved the stuff they took from the movie.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Oh yeah, I reinstalled AvP 2010 after clearing up some room. I'd like to play sometime.

So far the list of people interested is:
Pennywise
Splicer
Beet Wagon
Xenomrph
Jay_Zombie

That's plenty to play a coop mode. They have a few different types of modes.

The classic Deathmatch/Species Deathmatch/Mixed Species Deathmatch.

Domination which is like a capture the flag.

Infestation, one type I want to play, is a survivor mode. You play as Marines besides one alien. Each Marine that gets killed turns into an alien and joins in the slaughter.

Predator Hunt, which is similar to infestation but the predator has a time limit and each kill you get the time extends. I hate time limit.... anything in any game, but whatever. If the time limit runs out or someone kills the predator then they become the predator for that round.

And the one we all love, Survivor. Just like AvP. Waves of aliens come at you and they get increasingly stronger. Weapons are limited so you will die. Of course.

I picked this up for like a dollar or whatever on Steam, found the SP campaign kind of risible and uninstalled. I would be down for it. Note that I'm not like, great at vidya, bein' fukking 40.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

One of the biggest tragedies of this year for me was dumping a girlfriend because she was mentally unstable before remembering my old 2TB hard drive was at her place. Filled with movies, TV, music and video games, including a ISO of AvP 2 (I've lost my discs years ago). drat that was a fun multiplayer experience.

I remember joining a server that turned out to be nothing but dudes with Predators role-playing. I normally never played Pred but they immediately start yelling at me telling me to change class. So I decide to do the most Predator thing I could think of and sit cloaked next to their conversation repeating back slurred versions of what they said and roaring.

"The hunt goes well."
"Hooouuunt geerrrssswllllROOOOOARclickclack"
"Wild T pls stop"
"plsssstoopclickclickROAR"

In between that and spamming the Predator's roar taunt they booted me within minutes.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The best video game version of The Thing was the Starcraft custom multiplayer map imo. It was hectic and spooky.

Also hell yeah I'm totally down to AvP. I'll have some free time like Friday or maybe this weekend. Infestation mode is fun if we can get enough people going. Even if we don't get a full group, it works okay with like 6-8 folks

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm down for whenever. I literally have no life. Besides being alive.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Xenomrph posted:

I too support the half Dead Space half Dangan Ronpa genre.

“You don’t understand! 11037 has nothing to do with the keypad access to the Promenade!”

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Since there was some toy & model chat recently ITT, I figured I'd ask what are some nice xeno models/statues/figures that won't break the bank? The NECA stuff online looks OK, but there's such a wide price range I don't know which ones to get. I just want something like a queen or a couple of drones sitting on top of my studio monitors.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Jay_Zombie posted:

Oh, ok. I never saw Genisys. I suppose at some point, I'll have to subject myself to Terminator: Khaleesi Edition.

It was terribad.

Xenomrph posted:

I liked Genisys more than most, it does a bunch of shot-for-shot recreations of scenes from ‘The Terminator’ and it’s pretty slick.

They lost me in that first scene when Pops and Sarah setup the ambush for the T800 at the observatory. The only people who knew about the observatory scene in the first movie were the T800 and three punks, the terminator killed all the punks and it got crushed at the end of the movie so how did Pops and Sarah know that the bad robot would be there?

Owlbear Camus posted:

murking the '84 Terminator from ambush with an antimateriel rifle (after letting gramps inexplicably gently caress around with a shotgun everyone knows can't hurt it.)

That didn't help with the cognitave dissonance. They're ambushing a T800, something that Pops knows is immune to shotgun blasts but he shoots it with a shotgun anyway so that they can get a cool trailer shot. Why not just get Pops with his superior aim to blow the bad robot into metal chunks before it even knew there was an ambush?

I might be expecting too much from a movie about time traveling robits but when Pops started jury-rigging a time machine so they could move the plot from 1984 to 2017 I was pretty much checked out and by the time the bad guys built a third time machine in a room full of T1000 pools you're wondering if anyone had actually bothered trying to write a coherent script before shooting or if they were just improvised the plot as they went along.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sometimes you let logic and Tactical Realism go by the wayside in favor of the Rule of Cool.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
They appear to have tried to retcon the first point by giving terminators the ability to sense time disruptions or some poo poo in the new movie, so Carl sends the coordinates of arriving terminators to Sarah to give her some purpose in life. I’ll leave it to you to judge wether this is satisfying or not.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cartoons these days suck. They're all for babies. Including anime. Well that's for creepy grown men.

Manga, however, is for mature, well adjusted adults. :colbert:

I want a Tsutomu Nihei Alien-universe manga. His art is incredibly creepy, and he does body horror better than anyone I've ever read. I think it'd work quite well. I love everything I've read of his.

His scenery / landscape shots are gorgeous too.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Gnome de plume posted:

Also had the gorilla which you filled the head with water and squeezed to spray from its mouth like acid, and squeezed the back pipe things to move its arms open and closed. The tail claw broke off at one point.

I had this one and loved spraying water with it, once that got old I gnawed off the soft rubber parts on its head that held the water so it just had this empty skull in my toy rack

I loved that toy

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

They missed the mark with that one. I mean, if the Xeno takes on some traits of whatever hosts the embryo, why does the Gorilla alien spit?
If anything, it should fling acid poo poo.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Just reinstalled 2010 AVP and the game still slaps.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I had this one and loved spraying water with it, once that got old I gnawed off the soft rubber parts on its head that held the water so it just had this empty skull in my toy rack

I loved that toy

I played with this thing so much as a kid (before I had really even seen any of the Alien movies) that it's actually the first thing i think of when picturing a xenomorph.

Make a new Aliens movie where the Alien skips leg day, please.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

NECA did a modern remake of the Gorilla Alien and it owns.

They also did the Mantis Alien:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My favorite was the Scorpion alien. What sucked the most about it though is that man, that button that makes it explode has a hair trigger. But the reason why I liked it the most is because, if I remember correctly, it was the alien that looks most like the ones in the movie.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Just reinstalled 2010 AVP and the game still slaps.

Should I add you to the list of possible multiplayer players?

Hmmm.... I wonder if we should get a gang tag.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Try the Venture Bros.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah there's a few decent cartoons but I'm talking about the one geared towards children. They're all non-violent and probably made by a committee of boardroom members to make it as non-offensive as possible. I mean, the 80s cartoons probably had a committee for selling toys, but they were cool at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Xenomrph posted:

NECA did a modern remake of the Gorilla Alien and it owns.

They also did the Mantis Alien:

Those are rad as hell.

I still have the head from the original gorilla alien figure on the top of my monitor RIGHT NOW.

I had the queen figure and the scorpion one, too, and I was getting those when I was, like, 9 or younger? So weird to have an R rated movie marketed to kids (though I'm endlessly appreciative of it now).