Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
plots are stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Hey what VPN is everybody using? Somebody brought up good options a while back.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I use Cyber Ghost it’s pretty good as far as i can see

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Captain Magic posted:

What are you trying to do?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

Mullvad, but FYI it doesn't have a native mobile app so you have to download their VPN profiles for OpenVPN or Wireguard. $5/mo though and super fast, also they tick all my boxes from a privacy perspective.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

What are you trying to do?

Sling TV streams for poo poo on my chrome cast, so if I’m gonna watch AEW from my computer I figure I may as well do it via Fite.tv and a VPN for less.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i found that flaming sword finally

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Nord goes on discount for 75% off routinely and is what you're looking for. Right now there's a 70% off and that amounts to a 3 year subscription for the cost of four months of Sling.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rakuten is giving 22.5% back from NordVPN, too, so it might be worth signing up for that. I *think* it stacks (and worst case, you don't get the rebate).

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Cavauro posted:

i found that flaming sword finally

gently caress yeah bro

TTBF posted:

Nord goes on discount for 75% off routinely and is what you're looking for. Right now there's a 70% off and that amounts to a 3 year subscription for the cost of four months of Sling.

gently caress yeah, thanks

Big Huski Boi posted:

Mullvad, but FYI it doesn't have a native mobile app so you have to download their VPN profiles for OpenVPN or Wireguard. $5/mo though and super fast, also they tick all my boxes from a privacy perspective.

Thank you for the input!

Eat My Fuc posted:

I use Cyber Ghost it’s pretty good as far as i can see

Thanks!

Endless Mike posted:

Rakuten is giving 22.5% back from NordVPN, too, so it might be worth signing up for that. I *think* it stacks (and worst case, you don't get the rebate).

Thank you!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

you're welcome

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Artelier posted:

in case you're unaware, XCOM WITH SPIES is also the description of invisible inc!

Game looks dope

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm probably late to this party but I saw Parasite tonight and it was very good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm probably late to this party but I saw Parasite tonight and it was very good

:hfive:

Movie is insanely good.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I saw it in a double feature with The Lighthouse and found Parasite deeply underwhelming. It was before the Oscars by a month or two, but the movie had enough buzz by that point that I probably had higher expectations for what it was/could be than what it actually was, which really hurt it. It was entertaining and competent though, which is better than other Best Picture winners in recent years at least.

The Lighthouse is probably the best film of 2019 though. HAAAARRRRRRKK!!!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1917 was terrible. The movie not the year. Well the year too probably but I don't know for sure.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lmao if you’re not mailing vpn routers all over the world with a sticky note that says “plug me in”.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Don't use Private Internet Access:

https://torrentfreak.com/private-internet-access-to-be-acquired-by-kape/

Kape used to be an advertiser and installed malware on machines. Their CTO used to run Mt. Gox, the bitcoin exchange.

NordVPN got breached and didn't disclose for a very long time:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/hackers-steal-secret-crypto-keys-for-nordvpn-heres-what-we-know-so-far/

You can always roll your own with Algo and a Digital Ocean subscription:

https://github.com/trailofbits/algo

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

:hfive:

Movie is insanely good.

Glad we can make this an Official Mod Position

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

mariooncrack posted:

Don't use Private Internet Access:

https://torrentfreak.com/private-internet-access-to-be-acquired-by-kape/

Kape used to be an advertiser and installed malware on machines. Their CTO used to run Mt. Gox, the bitcoin exchange.

NordVPN got breached and didn't disclose for a very long time:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/hackers-steal-secret-crypto-keys-for-nordvpn-heres-what-we-know-so-far/

You can always roll your own with Algo and a Digital Ocean subscription:

https://github.com/trailofbits/algo

Lmao I knew if they were sponsoring Street Beefs it had to be shady.

As for VPN, you can use stock router hardware, hell even soho gear as long as it has VPN functionality. The trick is getting it places, hence my joke about mailing poo poo to random countries. If you’re really into sick networking tricks, you can do stuff like run the torrent data(the part your ISP freaks out about) through the vpn but the peer data(the actual stuff) through unencrypted internet(faster, less data usage on the VPN side).

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I like Windscribe because I'm a cheap gently caress and the monthly allotted gigs are more than enough for the little time I spend on my computer.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Quark and Garak are the MVPs of Deep Space 9.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

coconono posted:

big ye. my only quibble with garak is that they wussed out of him gay romancing bashir and forced him into that lame & unbelievable relationship with dukat's daughter. shameful. lamentable

also quark quietly being the lady's favorite of ds9 owns

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

oh but seriously I posted:

big ye. my only quibble with garak is that they wussed out of him gay romancing bashir and forced him into that lame & unbelievable relationship with dukat's daughter. shameful. lamentable

also quark quietly being the lady's favorite of ds9 owns

Andrew Robinson was always against that and tried to play as queer with Siddig as possible, and likewise if you revisit his episodes with Ziyal it becomes a lot more apparent that he's not really reciprocating her but being nice and more like an elder/guardian. He very subtly rebuffs her constantly.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

coconono posted:

That whole cast is a bunch of MVPs.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

That whole cast is a bunch of MVPs.

I’m in the part of season 2 where they start doing episodes based on their fave movies. Last Ep was Quark doing Casablanca and this one is Jadzia doing a kung fu movie.

This poo poo rules.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i am very doubtful this is the way they are going but the picard show needs to come out real strong for trans rights. stop trying to be prestige drama and be star trek you fukken cowards

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

No fighting just dog petting and farming tips.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

oh but seriously I posted:

i am very doubtful this is the way they are going but the picard show needs to come out real strong for trans rights. stop trying to be prestige drama and be star trek you fukken cowards
The story they're telling about the Federation being total bigot assholes is relevant as all get out, but I'm just done with it. We've been seeing it over and over and over since Deep Space Nine first did it and it hasn't been done as well since.

I want hope in my Star Trek. Not more "governments are bad and will always be bad." Not unless they're gonna' frame an alternative interestingly.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Watching Better Call Saul for the second time and Chuck is just the biggest mother fucker. Happy he's dead.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The story they're telling about the Federation being total bigot assholes is relevant as all get out, but I'm just done with it. We've been seeing it over and over and over since Deep Space Nine first did it and it hasn't been done as well since.

I want hope in my Star Trek. Not more "governments are bad and will always be bad." Not unless they're gonna' frame an alternative interestingly.

I'm a cynical rear end in a top hat by nature and even I think Picard goes too far. DS9 had the balance right. The Federation is not all it seems, not by far, but there is good there, hope.

If Picard was more about the quest to restore some of that ideal, searching for the Rodenberry-style utopia, I'd be all for it, but so far the show has kinda just turned me off with how terrible the Federation seems, not even worth trying to save.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Watched Lighthouse and the black and white cut of Parasite back to back today and that was an almost impossible good decision.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Missed a chance to see Lighthouse today and am kicking myself, will try my best to see it in the theater while I still can.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Kvantum posted:

I'm a cynical rear end in a top hat by nature and even I think Picard goes too far. DS9 had the balance right. The Federation is not all it seems, not by far, but there is good there, hope.

If Picard was more about the quest to restore some of that ideal, searching for the Rodenberry-style utopia, I'd be all for it, but so far the show has kinda just turned me off with how terrible the Federation seems, not even worth trying to save.
Right? Like, I get what they're going for. We as a people will never be free of bigotry, no matter how hard we pat ourselves on the back, and fascism will always be popping up and needs to be stopped every time it does and it's up to us to recognize we're susceptible and stop it.

But this'd be way more interesting if Picard did it first. It's been the default of the Federation as portrayed in three separate time frames since 1998.

The Federation hasn't been a hopeful vision of the future for 22 loving years.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Missed a chance to see Lighthouse today and am kicking myself, will try my best to see it in the theater while I still can.

You should kick yourself so hard that you fly right into a god drat Lighthouse screening

Weathering With You is finally coming to theaters in Finland and I’m seeing an advance screening of it tomorrow!!! Hyped

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

star dreck.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

watching in the mood for love cause im in the mood for love

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i heard picard is going to say "i'm tired of this... loving poo poo!" in a future episode

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it was my birthday yesterday. i didnt say anything because i didnt want a bunch of people to say stuff like 'happy bday' or 'you were always my favorite poster'. i'm really humble in that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008