Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

What’s wrong with that video? It looks really off.

Don’t google it.

(I kinda felt the same way, it looks faked somehow.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Mr. Nice! posted:

If it was following the backscatter, it wasn't random. Prior to 2016, the backscatter scanners produced a near perfect image of your naked body that some agent would look at. Because people obviously were pissed when that became public knowledge, TSA switched to their current system. Now the scanner has expected scans of men and women's bodies. Instead of a person looking at you naked, now there is just a small screen that shows a bathroom door figure with a box around the anomaly. It anticipates nothing in your pockets, but if your dick is hanging down instead of being tucked up, for example, it marks it as an object in your pocket. Unless you can pull something out of your pocket, they must pat you down. I've went to supervisors and was told I either consent to the patdown or I don't fly. I know there are trans goons that have ran into the same problem. I agree that it is humiliating every time. The most recent time the agent doing the patdown spit out the minute long preamble about it in seconds because he has to do this poo poo so often.

This is 100% true, and if you're a trasngender woman with a F on her ID, your junk will get alerted on. The TSA agent will wave you through fast after touching you, when you say 'yeah that's my penis and testicles.' They really don't want to grope you any more than you want to be groped.

I've been complimented on my earrings while being groped.

E: my ex has an X on their ID for gender marker, that blows the gently caress out of minds when they go through security

Vanadium Dame fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 19, 2020

Gajarga
Nov 5, 2006

Phanatic posted:

On one hand, security theater might have a net positive value for that reason: people who would be too scared to fly unless they're convinced by the theater that there's nothing to worry about will drive instead, and since driving is far more dangerous than flying you will get additional traffic deaths.

On the other hand, security theater might have a net negative value for a similar reason: people who don't want to deal with it will drive rather than fly and you will get additional traffic deaths.

In either case we should be educating people that the TSA is a collective of idiots who wouldn't be able to work the fryer at Burger King without giving themselves third-degree genital burns. and that the entire agency should be dropped into a very dee pit.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/09/excess_automobi.html

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
As much as I dislike the TSA, their Instagram is pretty OSHA and interesting.
https://instagram.com/tsa

You think TSA agents are dumb, that somehow doesn't compare to the stupidity of American passengers and what they attempt to bring onboard a commercial airplane.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B7bm-Qnnv55/?igshid=1gbnxxgwfofoa

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
i have no particular rancor for most TSA grunts, they're pursuing a federal paycheck and benefits with, generally, little to no previous skillset and surprisingly little authoritarian jackoffery considering

the upper echelons, however, l a f f o

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/da4H5Ib.mp4

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Dead. Pants came off.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Contrary to what some people would have you believe, throwing your motorcycle batteries into the ocean is perfectly safe and legal!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

sticksy posted:

You think TSA agents are dumb, that somehow doesn't compare to the stupidity of American passengers and what they attempt to bring onboard a commercial airplane.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B7bm-Qnnv55/?igshid=1gbnxxgwfofoa

Pre 9/11, a family friend took a three foot long corn snake tied in a pillowcase on the plane. He put it through the x-ray machine and everything. Didn't have any trouble.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

It's too late, airport man. The bomb was on the child I just sent to terrorize the skies.

In 1997, the hysteria over pop can pull-tabs was in full swing and I'd been collecting them like crazy. Knowing this, my grandma had saved up a ton for me to take home after a visit.

She packed about a gallon jug's worth into my backpack and sent me to get onto a plane. They turned up on the airport's x-ray as a bag packed full of shrapnel. I don't remember too much of the response beyond being told to never, ever do that again.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Pre 9/11, a family friend took a three foot long corn snake tied in a pillowcase on the plane. He put it through the x-ray machine and everything. Didn't have any trouble.

Jesus Christ I've never taken a poo poo that long, let alone thought to carry it around with me in a pillowcase.

Wait, what's a corn snake?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Of course this is audiophile bullshit.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Dillbag posted:

Jesus Christ I've never taken a poo poo that long, let alone thought to carry it around with me in a pillowcase.

Wait, what's a corn snake?

If I took a three foot poo poo you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be bringing it around with me and showing it to people.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It takes serious talent to keep that all in one piece and not pinch it off somewhere in the middle.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You want to drop out a real bowl coiler.

You get it long enough that it can completely encircle the inside of the bowl and meet back on itself, then you have the fabled Ouroboroshit.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

If I took a three foot poo poo you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be bringing it around with me and showing it to people.

I'd swing it around like a monkeys tail

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I once pooped a perfect Superman logo at summer camp, I was so impressed that I went to another toilet to wipe. It was the only flushing bathroom at the camp and it ended up being out of service for the next 2 days.

I like to act like I've accomplished a lot in my life but really I've just been coasting since that day.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The acceleration at the end after he'd almost died and then regained control is :discourse:.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Of course this is audiophile bullshit.

Mostly used for film, but yes that too.

I can't find it now, but at one point there was a radioactive ionizer sold for use *inside* record players--I think it was an encapsulated radioactive source that clipped onto some part of the arm. It probably also worked, but only for a year or two and so was probably never worthwhile.

An even dumber idea was radioactive spark plugs (which again, definitely worked, but only for the first year and afterwards were toxic waste):

https://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer%20products/sparkplugs.htm

A slightly more interesting application was with neon lamps. One weird (and mostly forgotten) aspect of neon tubes is that some of them don't work very well in pitch dark, and can fail to light up at the rated voltage, or do so unreliably. One solution is to add a small amount of Krypton 85 to the gas mixture, increasing the ambient ionization in the tube (another solution IIRC was to include a tiny incandescent lamp inside electronics that relied on neon tubes or voltage regulator tubes). This allows them to be breakdown reliably at the specified voltage

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 19, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Squalid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7TwBUxxIC0

bad news about your mother's negative ion dildo

turns out its full of powdered thorium kept in place by a poorly fitted plug

I just looked at this poo poo as being like the latest variation of the same kind of snake oil as the idiotic magnet bracelets, and all the copper crap that followed more recently. Awesome that now the snake oil is also venomous this time around.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

I laughed way too hard at this. Thank you

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just looked at this poo poo as being like the latest variation of the same kind of snake oil as the idiotic magnet bracelets, and all the copper crap that followed more recently. Awesome that now the snake oil is also venomous this time around.

Despite all the dosages he calculated, I don't think these have anything on radium water.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Despite all the dosages he calculated, I don't think these have anything on radium water.

Wikipedia posted:

210Po is 250,000 times more toxic than hydrogen cyanide by weight; it is also thought that one gram of 210Po is enough to kill 50 million people and sicken another 50 million.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cthulu Carl posted:

/jawlessly ahnks agh-igh-ungh

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

LifeSunDeath posted:

This is scary af. Makes me want to get a geiger counter and run it over everything I own.

I picked up a GMC-300E plus on amazon for fairly cheap and it's a nice little unit, although it doesn't pick up alpha radiation and I haven't found anything around the house that is distinguishable from background. Maybe I'll get a tritium key chain and break it open or something.

It has been useful however for finally ending the argument with one of my relatives who had been insisting that my wireless access point is radioactive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Have your coworkers flirted with the danger of diesel exhaust fluid?

quote:

Eppley Field Airport in Omaha, Nebraska (OMA), November 18-21, 2017

During this event, the FSII reservoir on the refueling truck had been serviced with DEF, in lieu of FSII. Seven civilian aircraft, plus additional military aircraft, had jet fuel containing DEF directly injected into their fuel tanks, which yielded three civilian and two military aircraft emergency landings. An additional six aircraft were serviced with equipment that had been exposed to DEF. SAIB HQ-18-08R1 was issued on December 26, 2017 in response to this event.

Miami-Opa Locka Executive Airport in Miami, Florida (OPF), August 12-16, 2018

During this event, DEF was mixed into the refueling truck FSII reservoir during an off-truck leak repair. Five aircraft had jet fuel containing DEF directly injected into their fuel tanks, which yielded two aircraft emergency landings. An additional nine aircraft were refueled with equipment that had been exposed to DEF. In response to this event, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued SAIB HQ-18-28 on September 13, 2018, Safety Alert for Operators (SAFO) 18015 on November 13, 2018, and the Office of Airports (ARP) Awareness & Guidance Letter was issued on October 29, 2018. Additionally, as a result of this event, the Industry Working Group was initiated and Airlines for America (A4A)/National Air Transportation Association (NATA) Bulletin 2018.4 was issued in December 2018.

Punta Gorda Airport in Punta Gorda, Florida (PGD), May 9, 2019

During this event, DEF was accidentally mixed into a 5-gallon FSII transfer container by the FBO lineman. Three aircraft were serviced from the “front meter,” which is where the FSII injection line is. There were two in-flight incidents: one Citation 550 experienced an engine flameout at 35,000 feet, descended, experienced the second engine flameout at 8,000 feet on approach to Savannah International Airport (SAV), and landed with no injuries or damage; a second Citation 550 experienced an engine flameout at 36,000 feet, descended, and landed with one engine operative at Louisville International Airport (SDF) with no injuries or damage. Additionally, the third aircraft (an Eclipse 500) had DEF directly injected, but, it was not known until the aircraft had landed at its final destination. Post-flight inspection revealed that this aircraft’s fuel system was contaminated with DEF and determined to be un-airworthy. Subsequent discussions with airport personnel at Punta Gorda showed that before this incident, they, including the FBO lineman, were aware of the DEF threat and had taken steps (implemented procedures and taken training) to preclude adding DEF into FSII tanks. The accidental mixing involved containers that looked similar. SAIB HQ-18-08R2 was issued on June 12, 2019, in response to this event.

In the Punta Gorda incident, the two Citations landed intact but were total write‐offs.

quote:

Carr noted that although the airport’s insurance company, Starr Adjustment Services, acknowledged in meetings that the two aircraft won’t fly again—once DEF enters an aircraft’s fuel system “there’s no telling when it might come loose down the road”—he was disappointed with settlement offers that he believed were based on inadequate appraisals. The proposed settlements did not fully consider the special configurations of air-ambulance aircraft, nor did they take into account an air ambulance’s large access door modification that he estimated affects an aircraft’s value by 30 or 40 percent.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

My father in law keeps a plane at PGD- I should see if he knows the pilots of those planes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
don't pee in the fuel tank folks

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I like to aggressively hit on danger. Danger has a restraining order against me.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 19, 2020

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm pretty sure he was using the geiger counter wrong. The meter doesn't know you're measuring a bracelet, it calculates dose rate assuming a uniform radiation field across the whole body.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Nocheez posted:

I've twice been popped for a random check that meant having some rear end in a top hat drag his knuckles across my dick. They say they're checking pockets but it's still the most humiliating bullshit I have been through.

Make it humiliating for them! Be dick-having and proud! When they ask if I have any sensitive areas down there, look them right in the eye, and tell them what I do - "aside from my balls, am I right? You know how it is!" And when they're done, keep your arms out and ask them if they've checked everything they need to.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

FuturePastNow posted:

The TSA has not prevented a single terrorist attack and nothing they do now would have prevented 9/11. They exist solely to Do Something

Actually, at this point they exist solely so the Federal Government can sell your rights back to you as PreCheck and Global Entry.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/lAGT1YY.mp4

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

blessed image

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I have never lain a brick in my life, and it was clear within the first few seconds from that guy's body language that he has no goddamn idea what he's doing.

It's like negative-space OSHA: He needs to be stopped since his efforts will kill someone, long after work stopped.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

BMan posted:

I'm pretty sure he was using the geiger counter wrong. The meter doesn't know you're measuring a bracelet, it calculates dose rate assuming a uniform radiation field across the whole body.

I think he mentions something about that when he also talks about alpha particles penetrating skin because you have a thorium bracelet on 24/7.

And that's not even getting into the thorium shirts and sheets impregnated with thorium dust that you then sleep on.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Yeah the shirts sound way worse, just inhaling radioactive dust 24/7

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Six Pack of Amontillado

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

man imgur is killing it today

https://i.imgur.com/FDNBC5p.mp4

roundabouts are better than intersections btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

I am impressed by the use of the reverse gear to help rectify the situation.