Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/rms5539/status/1229249233951301632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Xi's miracle will not be replicated through the rest of the world and for that I'm grateful. This is the boomer plague we need

China doing best will be funny til the day I die, of coronavirus

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Homeless Friend posted:

China doing best will be funny til the day I die, of coronavirus

Yeah I love how everybody chided them for their slovenly reaction to the initial outbreak, then immediately turned around and did worse.

I assume it can be largely explained by catering to your economic interests and effective containment measures being basically diametrically opposite. I fully expect a clown-show in pretty much all of the capitalist run countries.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
doesn’t make up for the fact they made it though

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
don't actually know if they made it, it could be 5001 years old and just made the jump :smugdon:

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Dog Toothbrush posted:

doesn’t make up for the fact they made it though

Oh c'mon you can't be still seriously believing this.

Edit (stolen shamelessly from our very own containment chamber):
https://twitter.com/arambaut/status/1229368840473235462

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

by "airborne transmission" they mean chemtrails

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

VomitOnLino posted:

Oh c'mon you can't be still seriously believing this.

Edit (stolen shamelessly from our very own containment chamber):
https://twitter.com/arambaut/status/1229368840473235462

Interesting how close the location of the market is to the lab tho I mean c'mon this thing is new

Honestly I will certainly withhold any kind of real belief either way for a while

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The thing is, China has a political unit call "subdistrict", this is an office in parallel of the local police precinct that control people in street level. This is where you handle resident hukou and some of the urban resident social benefits. That's the office CCP uses to seal off the building main gates and organize food delivery to enforce hard quarantine. No other country in the world AFAIK has subdistrict office. The countryside village heads serve the similar function.

If you expect the privately owned residential building management offices to seal off the front doors for you, it's not going to fly.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

There is probably no point bothering with quarantines at this point

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

stephenthinkpad posted:

The thing is, China has a political unit call "subdistrict", this is an office in parallel of the local police precinct that control people in street level. This is where you handle resident hukou and some of the urban resident social benefits. That's the office CCP uses to seal off the building main gates and organize food delivery to enforce hard quarantine. No other country in the world AFAIK has subdistrict office. The countryside village heads serve the similar function.

If you expect the privately owned residential building management offices to seal off the front doors for you, it's not going to fly.

I always thought that the sealing-in of people was over the top and a more extreme measure than this called for. I mean you could just fine them. And of course make sure that there’s no reasons for going out such as work etc.

Which again is not gonna happen in a capitalist country because they are not going to do anything that interrupts the making of money in any serious way.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Just remembered that the communist revolution in the disco Elysium backstory happened in the aftermath of a pandemic

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

Just remembered that the communist revolution in the disco Elysium backstory happened in the aftermath of a pandemic

china is ripe for a communist revolution

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
At least by all reports it's gonna be a fun way to die.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

triple sulk posted:

major respect for japan trying to accelerate into the third impact

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I just wish my dad was that good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

At least by all reports it's gonna be a fun way to die.

what reports are you reading, dying of sars 2 doesn't seem like fun to me

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
first death might be rough but you'll be ready for second death

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

what reports are you reading, dying of sars 2 doesn't seem like fun to me

I assume they mean the barricading and defense of the home vs the infected and gangs. That migt be fun?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I got the flu vaccine so i get a flu I will know it is corona-chan.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
God drat. Some prick who thinks he's too good to wait out quarantine flew into Sea Tac

https://twitter.com/KTVOTV/status/1229978916246425602?s=20

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

VomitOnLino posted:

I always thought that the sealing-in of people was over the top and a more extreme measure than this called for. I mean you could just fine them. And of course make sure that there’s no reasons for going out such as work etc.

Which again is not gonna happen in a capitalist country because they are not going to do anything that interrupts the making of money in any serious way.

65%+ of China's economy is not state owned, you can't make people (who may or make not have low fever) take 2 week off self quarantine by the goodness of their hearts.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Shear Modulus posted:

china is ripe for a communist revolution

What will be the vanguard party called after the revolution?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

stephenthinkpad posted:

65%+ of China's economy is not state owned, you can't make people (who may or make not have low fever) take 2 week off self quarantine by the goodness of their hearts.

That is probably true, this is an angle I hadn’t considered.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

silicone thrills posted:

God drat. Some prick who thinks he's too good to wait out quarantine flew into Sea Tac

His "comedy" is loving terrible too, I think the passengers forced him out. I won't link a video because I respect you all too much for that.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

and he lost the gig he flew back for lmao what a oval office

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
I’m surprised that the media and government isn’t raising more of a stink about how much Japan is loving up here. It’s clear that there have been local transmissions on the ship, and they’re just ignoring that to end the quarantine. A five-year-old could see that it’s better for them to admit that they screwed up now than to wait for hundreds of passengers
to develop symptoms and spread the virus further. Especially if they want to host the Olympics this year.

Am I missing something? Everyone is blaming Cambodia for being in bed with China, but this seems so much worse.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Lmao at racist americans criticizing the chinese response and then letting some cruiseship fucks spread the disease everywhere

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

BONGHITZ posted:

so is this a man made disease or what?

At this point it doesn't matter, because everybody has bungled up the quarantines to the point where if it wasn't, it is now.

As the other goon said, it's a repeat of the same types of mistakes people made 700 years ago.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

in_cahoots posted:

I’m surprised that the media and government isn’t raising more of a stink about how much Japan is loving up here. It’s clear that there have been local transmissions on the ship, and they’re just ignoring that to end the quarantine. A five-year-old could see that it’s better for them to admit that they screwed up now than to wait for hundreds of passengers
to develop symptoms and spread the virus further. Especially if they want to host the Olympics this year.

Am I missing something? Everyone is blaming Cambodia for being in bed with China, but this seems so much worse.

You aren't missing anything. Geopolitics affects pandemic response.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CODChimera posted:

There is probably no point bothering with quarantines at this point

keep in mind that a lot of this stuff isn't so much to slow the spread of the virus as it is to communicate "We have this under control" and prevent a panic from igniting

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Judakel posted:

Lmao at racist americans criticizing the chinese response and then letting some cruiseship fucks spread the disease everywhere

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

in_cahoots posted:

nobody in power can admit they made a mistake because in neoliberal power structures (which includes the governments of japan and the anglosphere), authority is legitimized by claiming to be the smartest person

it would be like if the king admitted yeah he really wasnt anointed by god

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

SKULL.GIF posted:

keep in mind that a lot of this stuff isn't so much to slow the spread of the virus as it is to communicate "We have this under control" and prevent a panic from igniting

Theoretically it's to slow the virus until a treatment or vaccine is developed.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
If the virus is going to infect everyone then you'll want to try to throttle the spread so you don't run out of ICU space at least.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

in_cahoots posted:

Again as above, coming out and going "WE hosed UP!" // "THEY hosed UP!" is how you get a panic started up. Absolutely no government in the world wants this

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

nobody in power can admit they made a mistake because in neoliberal power structures (which includes the governments of japan and the anglosphere), authority is legitimized by claiming to be the smartest person

hehe

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

also a japanese or american government doesnt have the authority to overrule the prerogatives of capital and straight-up impose a preventative quarantine and halt all economic activity in a city or region like the CCP does

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Judakel posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted: