Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

an oddly awful oud posted:

Who wants to go in with me in buying Juncos’ old Cadillac DPi? In seeking to pay homage to Cadillac’s storied history I was going to give it a Landau top, opera windows and the diesel engine from a Chevy Equinox

Cheaper and faster than a Senna probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
For those of you who listen to the Dinner With Racers podcast, a new series dropped yesterday. No real HUGE racing names interviewed, but some of them seem like they could be good.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Has anyone been to the Le Mans 24 hours before and can answer some questions I have about going to it?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Asian Le Mans Series is supposed to be at Sepang tonight, but rain and lightning strikes have delayed the start (and taken down some of the production apparently).

It'll be here once it's running properly: [edit] Three and a half hours left! They've gotten started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UURTa7hMJqE

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Has anyone been to the Le Mans 24 hours before and can answer some questions I have about going to it?

haven't been yet but there are some resources out there depending on the question. what're the topics?

harperdc fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 15, 2020

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Oh no, the mist is going to envelop them all!

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Bloopsy posted:

Oh no, the mist is going to envelop them all!

It's merely a cloud of coronavirus

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
In all seriousness, what caused that?

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

A few times, with other people doing the booking. What do you want to know?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just the basic logistics. How you get there, accommodation options? I'm planning on being in Europe at the time its on so I could re-arrange my itinerary to get there. I'm coming all the way from Australia so I can't really bring a tent and sleeping bag with me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bloopsy posted:

In all seriousness, what caused that?

sounds like one part heat causing mist/steam after the rain storm earlier, one part a car locking up (or multiple cars locking tires into the corner, the tricky downhill hairpin), and one part no breeze to clear the mist and smoke out of the way. I think that's all correct.

Just the basic logistics. How you get there, accommodation options? I'm planning on being in Europe at the time its on so I could re-arrange my itinerary to get there. I'm coming all the way from Australia so I can't really bring a tent and sleeping bag with me.

WikiTravel has a page for the town of Le Mans, basic idea is get to TGV at Charles de Gaulle / Paris and then on to Le Mans town itself. Within the town, the local streetcar service runs to the main entrance (near the pit straight). A regular partner/advertiser on Radio Le Mans is Travel Destinations, who do travel packages for the Le Mans 24 from "a place in the campground" all the way to glamping and more expensive options at the track. If you go dig back into Radio Le Mans' Le Mans 24 preview from 2019, there should be segments during the preview episodes that cover Le Mans travel options with the head of Travel Destinations. I'm thinking of going with my dad in a few years, and they're my first stop.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

We drove in and camped. There's a couple of campsites run by companies like travel destinations that supply and put up the tents for you, and I think there's some kind of cabin option, but I have no idea how much that costs. Or you can probably buy a disposable tent and sleeping bag for €30 or so.

There's also a tram station right next to the circuit and several train stations around. Apparently it's not hard to get the train from paris and tram to the track.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Space Butler posted:

We drove in and camped. There's a couple of campsites run by companies like travel destinations that supply and put up the tents for you, and I think there's some kind of cabin option, but I have no idea how much that costs. Or you can probably buy a disposable tent and sleeping bag for €30 or so.

There's also a tram station right next to the circuit and several train stations around. Apparently it's not hard to get the train from paris and tram to the track.

Tram stop is just outside the station door, and at the other end the stop is actually inside the full circuit, by the arena (top right):

Just be aware there's a good chance the trains in France will be affected by strikes, so whatever plan you've made be prepared to have to change all of it on the day. When we went we had to scramble on the metro to get across Paris to catch the only train going to Le Mans that day and even then we were shoehorned into the non-airconditioned bit between the seating compartments. The Travel Destinations campsite was good, they have showers which most of the other sites don't and it's the only way to get access to the spectator bank at the entrance to the Porsche curves.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtsQ_UydjEI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55iTYdRDG4s

Some quality racing right here.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Anyone else going to be at Sebring this year?

Just got a new 10x20 canopy and cutting down some rebar for tie downs.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm 5 years behind but I just started listening to Dinner with Racers. I'm sure many if not all of you have already listened to this but holy poo poo check out Episode 8 where engineer Jeff Braun details how Level 5 Motorsports owner/crazy man (and current prison inmate) Scott Tucker had them spend millions of dollars developing the fastest D Sports Racing car ever made. I won't spoil it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Basticle posted:

I'm 5 years behind but I just started listening to Dinner with Racers. I'm sure many if not all of you have already listened to this but holy poo poo check out Episode 8 where engineer Jeff Braun details how Level 5 Motorsports owner/crazy man (and current prison inmate) Scott Tucker had them spend millions of dollars developing the fastest D Sports Racing car ever made. I won't spoil it.

If you like stories like that, make sure you listen to Ryan Dalziel as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

That episode, the Bill Riley episode, and the Tommy Kendall ones are amazing. I need to catch up with more recent ones but they just dropped a bunch last weekend.

Also this season has an interview with former sports car racer Michael Avenatti, which, maybe not the best timing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

News: Aston Martin has cancelled the Valkyrie hypercar project
Views: lol

https://racer.com/2020/02/18/aston-martin-set-to-cancel-hypercar-program/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Those who guessed that the Aston Hypercar would turn less laps than the AMROne... you were correct!

https://racer.com/2020/02/18/aston-martin-set-to-cancel-hypercar-program/

efb

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Hypercar was an awful idea to begin with. LMP1 But Worse And Cheaper, Somehow was never really a viable plan and it never particularly appealed to anyone except Toyota since they were already 2/3rds there. The FIA should have acknowledged that from the beginning but their arrogance and nativism wouldn’t let them concede the obvious truth of it

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I wonder if the FIA is gonna try to pull out of the convergence agreement with IMSA because of the teams pulling out of their boondoggle hypercar platform.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

orange juche posted:

I wonder if the FIA is gonna try to pull out of the convergence agreement with IMSA because of the teams pulling out of their boondoggle hypercar platform.

The ACO signed onto the convergence agreement because of the failure of their boondoggle hypercar platform.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It's not too late for the French to pull out and scuttle the entire future of endurance racing :getin:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If I was Toyota, I would can the Hypercar now, run the current P1 until September 2021 and then go LMDh. But Toyota makes weird choices. Gonna be their call as to whether we ever see a Hypercar or not.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm still waiting to see if Ferrari will do lmdh with their "Totally 100% prancing horse" prototype that may or may not have a Dallara sticker with a Ferrari logo stuck over it

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Lol.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I'm going to COTA this weekend for the 6h. I am looking at the schedule and it seems really thin... no support races I guess.
pre:
Saturday, February 22
7:30am Parking Lots Open
8:00am-7:00pm Gates Open/Close
8:00am-10:00am Practice1-FIA WEC
10:15am-10:55am Free Lapping-Track Rats
11:45am-12:25pm Free Lapping-Track Rats
12:45pm-2:45pm Practice 2-FIA WEC
3:00pm-3:40pm Free Lapping-Track Rats
3:30pm-4:40pm Pit Walk
4:00pm-4:35pm Car Corral (Group 2)
4:45pm-5:25pm Free Lapping-Track Rats
5:40pm-6:00pm Qualifying-LMGTE Pro & LMGTE Am
6:10pm-6:30pm Qualifying-LMP1 & LMP2

Sunday, February 23
8:00am-6:30pm Gates Open/Close
8:00am-8:50am Car Corral (Group 1)
9:00am-9:45am Free Lapping-Track Rats
9:50am-10:45am Pit Lane Walk
9:55am-10:25am FIA WEC Driver Autograph Session-Pit Lane
11:15am-11:35am FIA WEC Fan Grid Walk-Front Straight
12:00pm-6:00pm Race-Lone Star Le Mans-6 Hrs of Circuit of The Americas
Not even sure what "track rats" are.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Cygni posted:

If I was Toyota, I would can the Hypercar now, run the current P1 until September 2021 and then go LMDh. But Toyota makes weird choices. Gonna be their call as to whether we ever see a Hypercar or not.

isn't the toyota hypercar just a modified version of their lmp1?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I'm going to COTA this weekend for the 6h. I am looking at the schedule and it seems really thin... no support races I guess.
pre:
Saturday, February 22
8:00am-7:00pm Gates Open/Close
8:00am-10:00am Practice1-FIA WEC
10:15am-10:55am Free Lapping-Track Rats
11:45am-12:25pm Free Lapping-Track Rats
12:45pm-2:45pm Practice 2-FIA WEC
3:00pm-3:40pm Free Lapping-Track Rats
3:30pm-4:40pm Pit Walk
4:00pm-4:35pm Car Corral (Group 2)
4:45pm-5:25pm Free Lapping-Track Rats
5:40pm-6:00pm Qualifying-LMGTE Pro & LMGTE Am
6:10pm-6:30pm Qualifying-LMP1 & LMP2

Sunday, February 23
8:00am-6:30pm Gates Open/Close
8:00am-8:50am Car Corral (Group 1)
9:00am-9:45am Free Lapping-Track Rats
9:50am-10:45am Pit Lane Walk
9:55am-10:25am FIA WEC Driver Autograph Session-Pit Lane
11:15am-11:35am FIA WEC Fan Grid Walk-Front Straight
12:00pm-6:00pm Race-Lone Star Le Mans-6 Hrs of Circuit of The Americas
Not even sure what "track rats" are.

They're literally running a HPDE as a support feature.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Peanut President posted:

isn't the toyota hypercar just a modified version of their lmp1?

Sounds like it shares a lot with the TS050, with new aero of course.

Also the COTA round literally wouldn’t exist if the Brazil race didn’t fall through, so while that kinda sucks for the show, it’s hard to get too upset about.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah being able to find support races outside of the traditional North American racing season on 3 months notice is pretty impossible, I'd be willing to bet.

If they really wanted a show, they should let the HPDE boys on track with the LMPs :getin:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Yeah being able to find support races outside of the traditional North American racing season on 3 months notice is pretty impossible, I'd be willing to bet.

If they really wanted a show, they should let the HPDE boys on track with the LMPs :getin:

Only if at least one of them flies fox tails like the Opel Manta at the Nurburgring.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Cygni posted:

For Toyota in-particular, LMP1 is a test bed for their own, designed and made, hybrid powertrain. The way the whole program is structured is that TMG is almost a sub-contractor to Toyota Japan, with the task of building a car to put Japan's powertrain into.

If Toyota HQ don't see any value in racing themselves anymore, and can't build their own hybrid system, I think they'll walk away rather than go to LMDh. The people at TMG want to go racing whichever way they can, but HQ will have no interest in LMDh if it's as restricted as it appears it will be.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Don't the upcoming WRC regs require a hybrid system now as well? If they dropped out of the WEC they could still get more development through there.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't be all that surprised if they've got an eye on formula e too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

jammyozzy posted:

For Toyota in-particular, LMP1 is a test bed for their own, designed and made, hybrid powertrain. The way the whole program is structured is that TMG is almost a sub-contractor to Toyota Japan, with the task of building a car to put Japan's powertrain into.

If Toyota HQ don't see any value in racing themselves anymore, and can't build their own hybrid system, I think they'll walk away rather than go to LMDh. The people at TMG want to go racing whichever way they can, but HQ will have no interest in LMDh if it's as restricted as it appears it will be.

They want to build the hybrid system mostly for marketing. This is the same argument that Ford has been having with Indycar/IMSA/WEC/everyone else. Some manufacturers want to spend big bucks and design heavy hybrids themselves because they think thats the only way the marketing works in a world where electrification is happening. The rest want to cut costs and go spec hybrid (or no hybrid) because they think the marketing for greenwashed racing is weak anyway and hybrids a dying tech, so they wont spend huge bucks. Those are the two camps.

Both groups are facing the same pit: in the near future where ICE cars are second fiddle in much of the rich world, is investing your marketing money in ICE racing worth it at all? And when do you shut it down? Do you only invest in ICE racing that targets market that will be slow to adopt non-ICE cars? Where is the balance?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Space Butler posted:

I wouldn't be all that surprised if they've got an eye on formula e too.

I'm sure they've taken a look, but Toyota hasn't been on the battery-electric side of things -- hybrid and hydrogen instead.

jammyozzy posted:

and don't forget, at the peak of LMP1-H against Porsche and Audi, Toyota was spending multiple hundreds of millions of euro a year on the WEC team, and it was coming from their R&D/engineering department, not from marketing. Yeah, all of the powertrain stuff is coming from Japan.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

harperdc posted:

Opel Manta at the Nurburgring.

:rip:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

From excitement about LMDh to extreme worry about the immediate future of the WEC in like three weeks, the sports car cycle can be an absolutely unstoppable mistress sometimes.