Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Some classes get this thing called "ritual casting", and there's this feat "Ritual Caster" but I don't really understand what "ritual casting" is.

PHB pgs 201-202.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
The advice last page for Kensei is pretty spot-on.

If you're a monk and you have the chance to grab Mobile and still get your Dexterity and Wisdom up, definitely do so. It works quite well and makes the monk into an excellent skirmisher.

My own DM actually found the base Kensei a little lacking. While he didn't adopt it entirely, he used a variant someone on reddit made. The basic gist is allowing you to choose Heavy weapons for your Kensei weapon choices, however they lose the Heavy property when wielded by you. It makes the extra damage from Kensei's Shot scale with your martial arts dice, and allowing Sharpen the Blade to work on a weapon even if it has a +# but only to a maximum of +3. However you get another option to change your crit range to 19-20(or 18-20 if it already is) for 3 Ki points.

Couldn't convince them to do anything with Agile Parry, but that's fine. The enhancement to Kensei Shot is amazing and he might reconsider it (we're Level 11, so with my longbow I'm doing 2d8+1d4(extra fire damage on bow) per hit) but the ability to adjust my crit range meshes strongly with my monk being a half-orc.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Finally spent some time with Rising from the Last War, and man Eberron is a good setting (I stopped at 3.0E and drifted back recently...)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is a longbow wielding Bard feasible? One that primarily shoots, and uses spell slots for buffing or similar. I guess Fighter to start for the style?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is a longbow wielding Bard feasible? One that primarily shoots, and uses spell slots for buffing or similar. I guess Fighter to start for the style?

Yes.

Swift Quiver Valor Bard.

Take Fighter 1, then go Valor Bard.

Maybe pick up another fighter level after Swift Quiver for Action Surge.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It was funny because my DM was like, "Uh, a Tarasque has 27 AC, there better be a good reason for you to have 26!" :D

Too bad the Dragonhide feat is just +1 AC; that would be tempting. I could argue I could make my unarmed strikes into slashing damage and if it was +2 AC that would work out better mathematically probably then a once per turn +4.

Yeah mobile is definitely tempting and I might go for that instead since I misunderstood Defencive Duelist. As it's a little more the style of Sekiro like character I think I'm going for. Where I just ZOOM throughout the encounter dealing with threats.

Being able to fly is pretty good too, just gotta be careful with it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dexo posted:

Yes.

Swift Quiver Valor Bard.

To quote myself

My quick and dirty example

https://ddb.ac/characters/23428442/17w5ih

4d8+45 on a +7 hit with sharpshooter(before any other magical items)

Get a ring of spell storing cast holy weapon in it and then give it to someone who doesn't have to worry about holding a concentration spell and have them cast it on you.

Then add 8d8 radiant per turn lol.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
New 6e playtest looks slick as hell:

https://twitter.com/gshowitt/status/1229812551837519874?s=21

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Raenir Salazar posted:

It was funny because my DM was like, "Uh, a Tarasque has 27 AC, there better be a good reason for you to have 26!" :D

Too bad the Dragonhide feat is just +1 AC; that would be tempting. I could argue I could make my unarmed strikes into slashing damage and if it was +2 AC that would work out better mathematically probably then a once per turn +4.

Yeah mobile is definitely tempting and I might go for that instead since I misunderstood Defencive Duelist. As it's a little more the style of Sekiro like character I think I'm going for. Where I just ZOOM throughout the encounter dealing with threats.

Being able to fly is pretty good too, just gotta be careful with it.

Okay I didn't go into it last time. But this is at least the second time you have posted this ridiculous amount of AC.

So how do you have 24 AC? Let alone 26. The max I see is 19 if you hold a kensei weapon and make an unarmed strike every round, or 23 against a single attack a round if you do the same and spend your reaction.

I am assuming this is a home game and not an Adventure League game, I suspect there may be homebrew, but clearly they are using Unearthed Arcana as the Dragon Wings feat was never made official.

Also Dragonhide DOES NOT GIVE +1 AC. Just have to get that out there. Dragon Hide is terrible on a Monk who has at least 16 Wisdom. It sets your AC to 13+Dex mod.

You have 17 AC, unless I am missing something. If you hold a Kensei Weapon and make at least one Unarmed Strike then you get +2 AC until the start of your next turn. That puts you to 19. And Defensive Duelist lets you add your Proficiency modifier to AC against a single attack as a Reaction. This is a Reaction so you only get one per round, and you might have other things to use your Reaction on. Also it is only against a single attack so if they are using a multiattack against you, or if something else attacks you before the start of your next turn, you don't get the +4 bonus to AC against the other attacks.

Katana doesn't really exist in 5e, except maybe in some suggestion somewhere where it might be "just use a longsword for stats" kind of thing. And it certainly wouldn't be a 2d8, which is probably the most powerful nonmagical weapon in the game. A Greatsword, which has certain limitations, only does 2d6. Also many DMs would not allow Aarakocra, or other flying races, in their games. And certainly Adventure League would not allow it, before 5th level and even then probably only with a certificate granting permission to use.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ryuujin posted:

Katana doesn't really exist in 5e, except maybe in some suggestion somewhere where it might be "just use a longsword for stats" kind of thing. And it certainly wouldn't be a 2d8, which is probably the most powerful nonmagical weapon in the game. A Greatsword, which has certain limitations, only does 2d6.

Just to address this part bc I dunno what the hell with the AC stuff either: it is indeed canon per a table in the 5E DMG that a katana in 5E is a reskinned longsword. Crawford said those were AL legal with DM approval. Who the hell would care if a player described his Fighter's longsword as a katana? There's literally a Samurai spec.

Raenir said "special drow katana" or something, so presumably it's just a magic item or special material one that's a base 2d8 instead of 1d8 with no other special properties. That's a good weapon, and a great one for a Kensei if it's nonmagical and they can then jam a to-hit bonus on it, but it's really not insane or anything. A Flametongue longsword straight from the DMG does 1d8+2d6.

Baku fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 19, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

10/10 would play.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

The irony is that the "Spells: See Below" section is 900 pages long.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ryuujin posted:

Okay I didn't go into it last time. But this is at least the second time you have posted this ridiculous amount of AC.

So how do you have 24 AC? Let alone 26. The max I see is 19 if you hold a kensei weapon and make an unarmed strike every round, or 23 against a single attack a round if you do the same and spend your reaction.

I am assuming this is a home game and not an Adventure League game, I suspect there may be homebrew, but clearly they are using Unearthed Arcana as the Dragon Wings feat was never made official.

Also Dragonhide DOES NOT GIVE +1 AC. Just have to get that out there. Dragon Hide is terrible on a Monk who has at least 16 Wisdom. It sets your AC to 13+Dex mod.

You have 17 AC, unless I am missing something. If you hold a Kensei Weapon and make at least one Unarmed Strike then you get +2 AC until the start of your next turn. That puts you to 19. And Defensive Duelist lets you add your Proficiency modifier to AC against a single attack as a Reaction. This is a Reaction so you only get one per round, and you might have other things to use your Reaction on. Also it is only against a single attack so if they are using a multiattack against you, or if something else attacks you before the start of your next turn, you don't get the +4 bonus to AC against the other attacks.

Katana doesn't really exist in 5e, except maybe in some suggestion somewhere where it might be "just use a longsword for stats" kind of thing. And it certainly wouldn't be a 2d8, which is probably the most powerful nonmagical weapon in the game. A Greatsword, which has certain limitations, only does 2d6. Also many DMs would not allow Aarakocra, or other flying races, in their games. And certainly Adventure League would not allow it, before 5th level and even then probably only with a certificate granting permission to use.

Okay slow down there.

10 AC Base
18 DEX so +4 AC. (14)
16 WIS so +3 AC. (17)
Agile Parry +2 AC as long as I tapped someone. (19)
+1 AC from a Haori (Cloak) of Protection. (20)
Once per turn +4 AC (currently, might trade it for mobile). (24)
I had Haste casted on me at the time, another +2. (26)

Most enemies we fight have at least +8 to hit and many have +11. There's like always something like a 50% chance an enemy can hit you even with over 20 AC so I dunno if its ridiculous or not, doesn't feel like enough to me honestly.

The dragonhide feat I found clearly said +1 AC:

quote:

"Unearthed Arcana:Feats for Races":
Your scales harden; you gain a +1 bonus to AC while you aren’t wearing armor

Nothing about setting dex. It seems like a bad feat anyways so I didn't take it, but if it was +2 I probably would have.

As for the katana, Rule 0 dude, if the DM said I could have it, I could have it. Some of the other characters had some baller magic weapons so I asked for one for the new character I rolled to join the party.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Just to address this part bc I dunno what the hell with the AC stuff either: it is indeed canon per a table in the 5E DMG that a katana in 5E is a reskinned longsword. Crawford said those were AL legal with DM approval. Who the hell would care if a player described his Fighter's longsword as a katana? There's literally a Samurai spec.

Raenir said "special drow katana" or something, so presumably it's just a magic item or special material one that's a base 2d8 instead of 1d8 with no other special properties. That's a good weapon, and a great one for a Kensei if it's nonmagical and they can then jam a to-hit bonus on it, but it's really not insane or anything. A Flametongue longsword straight from the DMG does 1d8+2d6.

What this "if kensei and nonmagical gain a to-hit bonus" do you mean adding the martial arts die for a ki point or is there something I'm missing? Or is it a later level thing? I'm currently level 9.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 19, 2020

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

You're thinking of the outdated Unearthed Arcana version. This is the official version from Xanathar's.

Additionally, 24 AC once per turn (without accounting for spells) seems ok, in that the DM won't bother trying to hit you if they know they need a 24.

Unless something has multiple attacks, which they will at level 9.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 19, 2020

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah that version is much worse and I would never use it as a Monk.

And eh, the DM in our case is both sides of the coin. He has NPCs try to finish you off if you get downed but will also won't prioritize the weakest targets and tend to more so go for whoever is in their face the most.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
AC 24 is kind of ridiculous, and hard to hit. I missed the Cloak of Protection +1. That fixes most of my question, and the Haste explains the rest. That said AC 24 while kind of ridiculous is not completely out of the realm of possibility, it was just hard to figure out with your stats.

Like I have a Warforged Artificer who wears Half-Plate for a base 15 AC, gets a +1 AC from being Warforged, gets +2 from Dex, gets +1 from being able to make his Half-Plate +1 through a class feature, a Shield for +2 to AC, and gets +1 from a Ring of Protection he bought. For a total of 22 AC but that required class features and a lot of gold to get there.

+8~+9 to hit seems relatively alright at 9th level. Though I suspect a lot of monsters would probably have lower to hits at that level, assuming their strength or dexterity is below 18. Of course then you get the Giant Scorpion which is CR 3, and a Moon Druid can take that form at 9th level, only has a +4 to hit but three attacks.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I dunno, it feels like its been weeks since we encountered someone who engaged us with less than +8 or had less than 19 AC in turn.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
In all fairness...

Their AC comes via class features (Unarmored Defense, Agile Parry), resources (taking a feat) and gold (You can argue magic items have a value to them etc). And it all adds up just fine in the end. Hell add a pair of Bracers of Defense into the mix and their AC shoots even higher!

My own monk has the exact same main stats (18 Dex, 16 Wis) and the Bracers of Defense. So he sits on a passive 19 AC, while being able to push to 21 if he attacks with an unarmed strike with one of his two Action attacks. Though it doesn't matter too much, the Mobile feat I have kind of ensures I'm not the one in trouble. There was a situation a handful of sessions back where others would have been cornered, but being able to use by bonus action attack on a second enemy meant I could slip away to safety.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 19, 2020

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Dexo posted:

Yes.

Swift Quiver Valor Bard.

Dammit now I have to make yet another bard

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is swarm keeper ranger good, or no? Getting a free crappy hunter’s mark that procs without a spell slot + flight/spider climb and ultimately teleportation doesn’t seem too bad, especially when you consider the fun flavor possibilities.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I dunno, it feels like its been weeks since we encountered someone who engaged us with less than +8

Whether or not the DM using using monsters "correctly", since proficiency is added to attacks, not AC, that's a thing that'll only get worse, right?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

What this "if kensei and nonmagical gain a to-hit bonus" do you mean adding the martial arts die for a ki point or is there something I'm missing? Or is it a later level thing? I'm currently level 9.

At level 11, Kensei get a class feature called Sharpen the Blade that allows you to spend 1-3 ki points to imbue a weapon with a hit/damage bonus equal to the points spent. The only restriction is that it doesn't stack with existing to-hit and damage bonuses on magic weapons. Basically it lets you turn anything you're fighting with into a +3 weapon if it isn't already, and it sounds like it'll probably work on your katana.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

At level 11, Kensei get a class feature called Sharpen the Blade that allows you to spend 1-3 ki points to imbue a weapon with a hit/damage bonus equal to the points spent. The only restriction is that it doesn't stack with existing to-hit and damage bonuses on magic weapons. Basically it lets you turn anything you're fighting with into a +3 weapon if it isn't already, and it sounds like it'll probably work on your katana.

Note that the Kensei enhancement doesn't *work* on magic weapons - it doesn't just not stack, it has no effect at all on weapons which are already +x magic.

At 11th level, you gain the ability to augment your weapons further with your ki. As a bonus action, you can expend up to 3 ki points to grant one kensei weapon you touch a bonus to attack and damage rolls when you attack with it. The bonus equals the number of ki points you spent. This bonus lasts for 1 minute or until you use this feature again. This feature has no effect on a magic weapon that already has a bonus to attack and damage rolls.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wish there was a wave to breath my lightning breath on my blade so I can attack with lightning damage because it feels like my breath weapon is fairly useless =/

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Raenir Salazar posted:

I wish there was a wave to breath my lightning breath on my blade so I can attack with lightning damage because it feels like my breath weapon is fairly useless =/

Ask your DM if they’ll let you scale it? This is a common complaint I’ve seen
(Oh, nvm, I see it does scale anyways)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's true, Dragonborn Breath Weapon is basically between a hearty cough and a large sneeze in terms of damage.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

If nothing else, that is a cool way to skin Sharpen the Blade.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

change my name posted:

Ask your DM if they’ll let you scale it? This is a common complaint I’ve seen
(Oh, nvm, I see it does scale anyways)

It does scale! Just poorly compared to martial attacks. It's what, 1d8 until level 6? It gets a single die every so often, which means it only is particularly better than just attacking if you're hitting like four or so enemies at once with it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Malpais Legate posted:

It does scale! Just poorly compared to martial attacks. It's what, 1d8 until level 6? It gets a single die every so often, which means it only is particularly better than just attacking if you're hitting like four or so enemies at once with it.

The breath weapons use d6s, so not even. Maybe he could ask his dm to switch it to a d8, though. I mean it’s a free racial trait, so it makes sense it’s never better than a cantrip/level 1 spell imo.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Considering most racial abilities are 1/long rest, they should be about as good as a level 1 spell. Like, if Dragonborn Breath was just burning hands but with one less die maybe I would actually use it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, making the thing less cool just ebcause it's a racial ability is dumb.

If I'm playing a loving dragonborn I want to be able to breathe fire on my enemies and have it matter.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
As far as racial abilities go, it's probably one of the worst in the game. Unless your DM is just feeding you creeps to breathe fire at, it's probably better to do virtually anything else than use it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
ask to trade an ASI for a good breath weapon?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Just ask for a good breath weapon outright.

Equivalent to a level 1 spell, levelled appropriately for a caster level equivalent to your current level, is entirely reasonable for a once per day ability.

Hell it's probably fine for a short rest ability.

It should be worth using, and honestly, at higher levels it's gonna be tough to consider it being worth using if it's not on par with your best stuff, rather than your worst.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

please knock Mom! posted:

ask to trade an ASI for a good breath weapon?

:gonk:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I've honestly had it with the 'just for flavor' type of anemic abilities they sprinkle onto the different races just for the illusion of variety

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Damage equal to (your level)d8 in a 15' cone or 30' line (for lightning breath), once per short rest seems about where it ought to be, to me. Lets you hit probably 2-3 enemies, for a bit more than a martial could do with their attack action, but it's not repeatable. Have a racial feat that lets you do it more often and with a larger AoE, while boosting a physical stat of your choice.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

please knock Mom! posted:

I've honestly had it with the 'just for flavor' type of anemic abilities they sprinkle onto the different races just for the illusion of variety
Are you saying 35' for a Wood Elf is not rad as heck

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Having a breath weapon take at least an hour to recharge at least makes some kind of sense. Clearly you need to digest a bit.

This also opens up a line of consumables to enhance your breath weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Syrinxx posted:

Are you saying 35' for a Wood Elf is not rad as heck

So uninspired it’s insulting