Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
This is why future wars are going to be fought with robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Burt Sexual posted:

Idc really, just want her better. She said the doc said it may be some flu that starts with P. She couldn’t recall.

I said “pandemic “? Lol I’m terrible

The real answer was pneumonic

Anyway it's sad she's going to be surpassed by Corona-chan, your Wuflu Waifu

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
How long will she be sick?

E I gotta go to bed

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

unpacked robinhood posted:

There's lots of people I need to infect, c ya !

Is it suicide if you die of complications from a disease you contracted by going to see a comedian who you know broke quarantine?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

just another posted:

Is it suicide if you die of complications from a disease you contracted by going to see a comedian who you know broke quarantine?

Nah, just plain old death by stupidity.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

just another posted:

Don’t write jokes for him.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

Shaocaholica posted:

Can't wait to pilot a platoon of mobile dolls with my mind.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

bones 4 beginners posted:

Can't wait to pilot a platoon of mobile dolls with my mind.

Chinese drone horde gonna roll over you tho

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Nurge posted:

On a strategic level it's totally idiotic because there's no sensible way to control anything that can reach enough people to matter. There are some really good tactical variants out there though. There's (supposedly) a modified strain of rabbit-pox targeted to humans that's aerosolized and you just cannon it over to the enemy lines. It only has a very limited lifespan but makes people who contract it poo poo themselves out for a week or two. Massive logistics strain. Again though it's ridiculously difficult to research and manufacture those compared to chemical weaponry, which is why the US dropped all overt research into the stuff in the late 60s.

e: Note though that this info all comes from ex-soviet scientists and none of it has ever been verified so it's basically just on their word. And who knows if russia kept any of it and/or continued research after the fall. I'd guess probably not on the latter at least. It's just incredibly inefficient.

Bioweapons are very much a 'I swear to god I'll kill us all if you gently caress with me' tier retaliatory weapon. 200 people who are deliberately infected and ordered to spread it maliciously as far as possible can cause a complete pandemic in short order.

At some point in the future, the fact that the entire smallpox genome has been mapped and is available for download will let college-tier labs re-create it, then go dicking around with protein markers to get it around the normal vaccine. Imagine the chaos if Aum Shinrikyo managed to just ride every line of the tokyo subway while infected with a novel new smallpox virus. That's the kind of poo poo that keeps epidemiologists up at night.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I wonder how much sales of Corona beer have been affected by this

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Spinz posted:

How dumb are people who drink Corona?

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Spinz posted:

I bought a sixer for the novelty... My boyfriend (rightly) shunned me for it :saddowns:

Shaocaholica posted:

:circlefap:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Burt Sexual posted:

How long will she be sick?

E I gotta go to bed

When I got H1N1 I was down for the count for two weeks. Delirious, vomiting, pain, dehydrated, etc. It just sucked.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

At some point in the future, the fact that the entire smallpox genome has been mapped and is available for download will

How the gently caress is this allowed?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Charlz Guybon posted:

You can't stop the signal, man!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Well, one side will be robots, at least. Rising up to destroy us

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol sky net probably going to come out of China and not the US.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

Just knowing what makes it up doesn't make it easy to manufacture. If any bob joe can make smallpox we're at a situation where any joe bob can make sarin gas or VX gas or gently caress why not Von Neumann machines, or a thousand other hideous things. Diseases are the least of our problems if you can start 3D-printing molecules at will. Either way we're a long way away from that.

e: The point is that ain't no one without massive funding and bio degrees making smallpox today even if you have the "blueprint".

Nurge fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 19, 2020

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
We're still decades away from the point, but in the future manufacturing spreadable bits of RNA in a protein capsule probably isn't going to be difficult, and will likely involve strains much more sophisticated than smallpox. It's not impossible that the people of 2080 will react to "Sudden appearance of a novel virus! Who will claim responsibility?" the same way we respond to car bombs and now mass shootings.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Nurge posted:

On a strategic level it's totally idiotic because there's no sensible way to control anything that can reach enough people to matter. There are some really good tactical variants out there though. There's (supposedly) a modified strain of rabbit-pox targeted to humans that's aerosolized and you just cannon it over to the enemy lines. It only has a very limited lifespan but makes people who contract it poo poo themselves out for a week or two. Massive logistics strain. Again though it's ridiculously difficult to research and manufacture those compared to chemical weaponry, which is why the US dropped all overt research into the stuff in the late 60s.

e: Note though that this info all comes from ex-soviet scientists and none of it has ever been verified so it's basically just on their word. And who knows if russia kept any of it and/or continued research after the fall. I'd guess probably not on the latter at least. It's just incredibly inefficient.
I read a book about the Amerithrax attacks that had a bit on Russian bio weapons. It’s been a while but the summary is they were working with anthrax and in the course of it poured unwanted samples into the drain which simply went into the common sewer system. This in turn caused an anthrax outbreak in the sewer rats. They went down and got specimens and used the way more contagious strain as a new development point for weapon research.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Shaocaholica posted:

At one point, Google searches were redirecting to Corona beer instead of Corona virus. They had help.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i dont "get" sick :smug:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Charlz Guybon posted:

Because it was unthinkably difficult 20 years ago, and therefore it will be unthinkably difficult forevermore.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Sten Freak posted:

I read a book about the Amerithrax attacks that had a bit on Russian bio weapons. It’s been a while but the summary is they were working with anthrax and in the course of it poured unwanted samples into the drain which simply went into the common sewer system. This in turn caused an anthrax outbreak in the sewer rats. They went down and got specimens and used the way more contagious strain as a new development point for weapon research.

That is a frustratingly brilliant way to make something more contagious.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
Pack it in y'all, the threat is over. This virus just got DESTROYED

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Don’t write jokes for him.

Influenza infects people like 🆃🅷🅸🆂 but coronavirus infects people like 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

just another posted:

Influenza infects people like 🆃🅷🅸🆂 but coronavirus infects people like 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈

~uwuu. corona-senpai noticed me

just another
Oct 16, 2009

yeah i had coronavirus back in college

[expectant look at the audience]

but back then we called it rush week

[holds for smattering of chuckles]

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Funny man got fired!

https://www.kptv.com/news/oregon-comedian-breaks-quarantine-flies-back-home/article_cb431a52-52af-11ea-9c13-f72de419c6d9.html

quote:

King says he's checked in with his doctor and the Linn County Health Department as well.

Due to all the media coverage he decided to cancel the first of the three gigs he was trying to get back for.

FOX 12 has learned that Frank was fired by Holland America.

:byewhore:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sten Freak posted:

That’s amazing, lmao.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
rip Burt, got cruiseified and died for our sins

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

Building/using germ warfare seems kinda like setting fire to your neighbor's apartment.

I think a bug like this one is useless. You would use something hosed up but fixable, like antrax. You would spread it by literally dropping antrax powder over a city with a plane.

The objetive is not to kill the enemy, but obliterate their health system with their hospitals full of people and people demoralized. Not to kill, but wound. A soldier wounded is better than a soldier (or civil) killed, because the wounded soldier require extra effort from your enemy (food, doctors, medicines... all expensive). Bugs that kill or spread too far and fast are useless.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

I think a bug like this one is useless. You would use something hosed up but fixable, like antrax. You would spread it by literally dropping antrax powder over a city with a plane.

The objetive is not to kill the enemy, but obliterate their health system with their hospitals full of people and people demoralized. Not to kill, but wound. A soldier wounded is better than a soldier (or civil) killed, because the wounded soldier require extra effort from your enemy (food, doctors, medicines... all expensive). Bugs that kill or spread too far and fast are useless.

The soviet scientist who I saw interviewed said that they did develop one or two things that were completely useless like that and were only meant to be used as a retaliation for nuclear attacks when it doesn't really matter that much any more. Most of the things they came up with in the 70s and 80s were meant as front line deterrents with barely any or no spread and nonlethal like you said.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Operation Vegetarian was a British military plan in 1942 to disseminate linseed cakes infected with anthrax spores onto the fields of Germany. These cakes would have been eaten by the cattle, which would then be consumed by the civilian population, causing the deaths of millions of German citizens. Furthermore, it would have wiped out the majority of Germany's cattle, creating a massive food shortage for the rest of the population that remained uninfected.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you kill most of the civilians, you greatly decrease the amount of food required, so they'd probably be fine. You want to cause mass chaos, kill off the food supply without (directly) killing people.

If someone wanted to bio-engineer a plague to destroy America, it would be a corn blight.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

If you kill most of the civilians, you greatly decrease the amount of food required, so they'd probably be fine. You want to cause mass chaos, kill off the food supply without (directly) killing people.

If someone wanted to bio-engineer a plague to destroy America, it would be a corn blight.

Corn is a poo poo crop and could be replaced readily by any of a dozen of others.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

sincx posted:

A generic cereal crops blight (like in Interstellar) would be devastating
so what, we would just switch to beets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Jabor posted:

Haha...funny you mention that...For awhile I worked closely with people over at Fort Detrick in Maryland. That place used to be the center of the US Biological Weapons program. Do you know what they study there a lot now? Plant pathogens. During the Cold War, American bio-warfare people weren't so much scared of a human pathogen as they were of different kinds of smut or rust fungi. Their nightmare scenario was a couple of Soviet agents renting crop dusters and contaminating wheat crops in the bread basket with spores from assorted fungi. After a few fields got infected, the wind would carry spores from those plants and the cycle would repeat. There was theoretically no chance the pathogens could accidentally hop over to the Soviet's fields and it presented no direct dangers to humans but could destroy the American economy very easily. They STILL study plant pathogens at that place, mostly to protect against natural outbreaks, but also just because...you never know.