Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dietary and hygiene habits probably do make for a noticeable difference in smell. Though even if they do smell different, if you aren't actively hostile towards someone you'll probably stop noticing pretty quick.

Also yeah, especially given smell is so closely linked to memory.

In the spanish case, they themselves notice how sanitary Tenochtitlan is compared to european cities so it's not hard to imagine they would be noticeable to the aztecs.

Also you can kinda notice this yourself if you enjoy camping away from shower facilities. After two or three days you'll definitely notice everyone in the group smells, and then after that you stop noticing until you get back to civilization and then notice how gross you are compared to a population that tends to shower daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Red Bones posted:

So are you drinking directly from a carton on your desk at work, or do you put it into a glass first?

What does your heart tell you?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How the hell do you drink so much god drat milk?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Red Bones posted:

So are you drinking directly from a carton on your desk at work, or do you put it into a glass first?

Straight from the cow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nessus posted:

How the hell do you drink so much god drat milk?

If I drank that much milk you would probably have to evacuate whatever building I was in and call the EPA.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Is the milk viperless?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I didn't know adults drank straight milk

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I drink about a gallon of 1% milk a week. It's pretty calorie-dense (about 200 calories in a 16 oz. cup) so it's a good way to supplement a smaller lunch.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In the spanish case, they themselves notice how sanitary Tenochtitlan is compared to european cities so it's not hard to imagine they would be noticeable to the aztecs.

Also you can kinda notice this yourself if you enjoy camping away from shower facilities. After two or three days you'll definitely notice everyone in the group smells, and then after that you stop noticing until you get back to civilization and then notice how gross you are compared to a population that tends to shower daily.

I'm reminded of a note in Dune that every other sietch stinks but your own sietch smells like home.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's tasty :colbert:

Also, everyday drinking of milk might be a scandinavian thing, here its normal for natives to drink loads of milk, especially my millennial generation.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Zudgemud posted:

It's tasty :colbert:

Also, everyday drinking of milk might be a scandinavian thing, here its normal for natives to drink loads of milk, especially my millennial generation.

also true of the midwest us, probably d/t all the scandinavians who settled here and all the cattle ranching

i like to get half-pint cartons to drink with lunch every day, like in school, which they did there because it's cheap good calories!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Re human body odor and different races, there is one actual demonstrated thing, if wikipedia can be trusted.

quote:

East Asians who have nearly complete loss of typical body odor, when compared to people of African and European descent, have significantly less of the characteristic axillary odorants and variants in the ABCC11 gene, which is expressed and localized in apocrine sweat glands.[31] Racial differences also exist in the cerumen glands, apocrine sweat glands which produce earwax.[3] East Asians have predominantly dry earwax, as opposed to sticky; the gene encoding for this is strongly linked to reduced body odor, whereas those with wet, sticky earwax (Africans and Europeans) are prone to more body odor.[32]

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Body odor is also is also heavily dependent on hygienic culture, as in the societal importance placed on masking body odor, far from all cultures place such a high importance on it as western european culture. Which in turn is probably highly dependent on history mixed with local practical factors such as if there is easily available water and if the local temperature constantly constantly hovers around 35°C with 90% humidity etc.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
What non-body smells were prevalent in ancient/historical people? Like body odor doesn't smell good but it bothers me way less than people that inexplicably smell like they live in a 5'x5' room filled with:

-cigarette ashes
-spaghettios
-fried food
-chicken noodle soup
-unwiped poop smeared butt

When I worked at a gas station I had a regular customer that smelled like delicious, pungent salami. He didn't work at a deli, he worked in a factory that made doors. Why did he smell like he lived in a room full of cured dangle hams??? This bothers me far more than a person that smells like sour sweat and the cumin twinge of human body microbes.

Anyway, what did say, a leatherworker or a blacksmith smell like, fresh off the job? I guess that a better analogy there might be modern road workers that smell like molten asphalt and diesel exhaust? What did ancient working people smell like.

edit: as a joke haha i would like to smell them

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hmm, leather workers smell could be interesting because they used piss to tan the hides so if they were involved in that process then they probably smelt of piss, otherwise leather smells quite nice so if they just worked with the finished product then they might not have picked up much of a smell from it.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think most would smell somewhat of smoke as fire for cooking and heating was ever present and that smell sticks.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

WITCHCRAFT posted:

What non-body smells were prevalent in ancient/historical people? Like body odor doesn't smell good but it bothers me way less than people that inexplicably smell like they live in a 5'x5' room filled with:

-cigarette ashes
-spaghettios
-fried food
-chicken noodle soup
-unwiped poop smeared butt

When I worked at a gas station I had a regular customer that smelled like delicious, pungent salami. He didn't work at a deli, he worked in a factory that made doors. Why did he smell like he lived in a room full of cured dangle hams??? This bothers me far more than a person that smells like sour sweat and the cumin twinge of human body microbes.

Anyway, what did say, a leatherworker or a blacksmith smell like, fresh off the job? I guess that a better analogy there might be modern road workers that smell like molten asphalt and diesel exhaust? What did ancient working people smell like.

They probably smell like the chemicals and other substances they're exposed to, kinda like when I had a summer job at a pool supply store 2 years ago I'd often end shifts smelling like chlorine

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Helith posted:

Hmm, leather workers smell could be interesting because they used piss to tan the hides so if they were involved in that process then they probably smelt of piss, otherwise leather smells quite nice so if they just worked with the finished product then they might not have picked up much of a smell from it.

I'm talking out of my rear end here but I doubt tanners and people who made leather goods were the same people.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

The_White_Crane posted:

Re human body odor and different races, there is one actual demonstrated thing, if wikipedia can be trusted.

Yeah, spent a semester in Macau a few years back and frankly, I felt sorry for the locals whenever I showed up.

40+ degrees Celsius and 90% humidity really just makes poor Scandinavians reek, for about four weeks or so, then you get used to it.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

On smell chat: a few years ago I titrated onto a new seizure drug whose strange side effect as it rewired my brain was to make everything smell like slightly old deli meat. After a week or two my sensitivity to this odor went away until about a year later when I switched drugs again. Now everything smelled like the opposite of old meat, which is apparently fresh hay.

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba
it's really a question of what time period, what location, how poor and the individuals hygiene. a hygienic roman nobleman from the height of the empire could smell pretty drat good. what's more, the slave upon whose hair the nobleman wipes his greasy hands on at dinner probably smells okay too. the leper living in the slums of a province? gonna guess he don't smell too good.

mind you this is just one era and its before the Colombian exchange. its possible that there were incredibly funky Americans we'll never know about

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

WITCHCRAFT posted:

For the entirety of my childhood, my dad was a tree trimmer. He'd smell like pine and bar and chain oil and diesel. It's an incredible sense memory. I was at a gas station and a tree truck pulled up next to me, and one whiff and I was immediately 7 again.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hardon Crime posted:

The leper living in the slums of a province? gonna guess he don't smell too good.

Especially once his nose collapses.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Sir Joseph William Bazalgette could be considered one of London’s greatest heroes. Whereas previous attempts to modernize the sewer system were stymied by its enormous cost, political support for a project to alleviate this issue was at its peak, and it was the perfect time for an ambitious civil engineer to step forward and seize the opportunity. As chief engineer of the Metropolitan Board of Works, he oversaw the construction of over a thousand miles of underground sewers over a decade that... still dumped waste into the Thames. But it was diverted downstream and away from the city, were it could flow into the sea! Before then, waste was dumped into above-ground sewers that were originally designed for storm run-off that drained into the sluggish Thames and lingered in the city.

If you can find a copy of Colin McLaren's novel Rattus Rex (it seems to be out of print, except for the German translation), I'd highly recommend it. It is set against the backdrop of Bazalgette's project, with the protagonists having to explore both the new and ancient sewers while investigating a strange series of murders.

quote:

Much of the tunnels are still in use. Bazalgate displayed a foresight that astounds me as someone who has examined the current state of American infrastructure politics. From the UK’s Institution of Civil Engineers:

Yeah, but he didn’t foresee wet wipes and fatbergs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hardon Crime posted:

a hygienic roman nobleman from the height of the empire could smell pretty drat good.

The romans had a different view about hygiene than we do though. They went to public baths every day but the water was rarely changed. There's roman who complained about people washing their assed In the pool for example. We also have texts about how the nobles would primarily use perfume to mask their body smells but that perfume on top of sweat only smelled worse. Then you have Maximus Thrax who was so proud of his sweat that he would collect it In small jars.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Feb 19, 2020

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Then you have Maximus Thrax who was so proud of his sweat that he would collect it In small jars.

That’s a good name for a proto-goon

Hardon Crime
Jan 15, 2020

hubba hubba hubba hubba

Alhazred posted:

The romans had a different view about hygiene than we do though. They went to public baths every day but the water was rarely changed. There's roman who complained about people washing their assed In the pool for example. We also have yexts about how the nobles would primarily use perfume to mask their body smells but that perfume on top of sweat only smelled worse. Then you have Maximus Thrax who was so proud of his sweat that he would collect it In small jars.

we've got lots of evidence that wealthy romans kept private baths and had fresh running water

granted nobility wasn't synonymous with wealth in the republic. the early life of Cornelius Sulla is a prime example.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The platypus was one of the reason why Darwin started to doubt creationism and the thought of an omnipotent creator. He realized that the platypus more or less occupied the same ecological niche that the water vole did in Britain. Why then did an almighty creator then create two different animals to fill the same ecological niche Darwin asked himself, the only answer would be that they weren't created but evolved based on their environment.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

The platypus was one of the reason why Darwin started to doubt creationism and the thought of an omnipotent creator. He realized that the platypus more or less occupied the same ecological niche that the water vole did in Britain. Why then did an almighty creator then create two different animals to fill the same ecological niche Darwin asked himself, the only answer would be that they weren't created but evolved based on their environment.

this sounds like an ex post facto rationalization to come up with a more dignified explanation than looking at a platypus and saying "what the gently caress, god???"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

this sounds like an ex post facto rationalization to come up with a more dignified explanation than looking at a platypus and saying "what the gently caress, god???"

Fun fact: When the platypus was discovered people realized that it was anatomically built to lay eggs but they had yet to find an egglaying platypus. The solution was to shoot platypuses en masse to find one with eggs. In 1884 William Hay Caldwell arrived in Australia and hired 150 aboriginals to kill every platypus they could find. Finally Caldwell managed to shoot one platypus that had just laid an egg and had another in it's cervix.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Alhazred posted:

Fun fact: When the platypus was discovered people realized that it was anatomically built to lay eggs but they had yet to find an egglaying platypus. The solution was to shoot platypuses en masse to find one with eggs. In 1884 William Hay Caldwell arrived in Australia and hired 150 aboriginals to kill every platypus they could find. Finally Caldwell managed to shoot one platypus that had just laid an egg and had another in it's cervix.

Victorian science, ladies and gentlemen.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Alhazred posted:

Allegedly, when the first platypus was captured, killed and sent back to the museum in England, the response was something along the lines of "haha guys, you got us good, for a while we thought it was real".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Depends on ancestry, far as I can tell. The various cultures that spent a lot of time in places good for herding started keeping lactose tolerance into adulthood. Other cultures lose lactose tolerance like you're supposed to. It's an adaptation. Various Germanic peoples eat piles and piles of cheese. There are herding cultures in other places like the Maasai, Mongols, and various other Asian cultures whose names escape me right now.

I think lactose tolerance is most common among European people. Most of Europe went whole hog on keeping herds of dairy cows around as a whole while on other continents it was something specific to only a few peoples.

I for one don't drink a ton of milk but do sometimes. I can positively murder a cheese supply, though. I eat so god drat much cheese.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
milk owns

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Depends on ancestry, far as I can tell. The various cultures that spent a lot of time in places good for herding started keeping lactose tolerance into adulthood. Other cultures lose lactose tolerance like you're supposed to. It's an adaptation. Various Germanic peoples eat piles and piles of cheese. There are herding cultures in other places like the Maasai, Mongols, and various other Asian cultures whose names escape me right now.

I think lactose tolerance is most common among European people. Most of Europe went whole hog on keeping herds of dairy cows around as a whole while on other continents it was something specific to only a few peoples.

I for one don't drink a ton of milk but do sometimes. I can positively murder a cheese supply, though. I eat so god drat much cheese.

i also feel it might be a nurture rather than nature thing - some people are going to become lactose intolerant regardless but many people can maintain a tolerance with continued ingestion. it's entirely cultural if you would have that exposure.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CoolCab posted:

i also feel it might be a nurture rather than nature thing - some people are going to become lactose intolerant regardless but many people can maintain a tolerance with continued ingestion. it's entirely cultural if you would have that exposure.

Yeah my understanding is that it's a combination of nature and nurture. The way it's supposed to work is that you lose tolerance for lactose as you grow up. Babies obviously can really only do milk (in natural surroundings anyway; people are clever and we invent neat things like formula) but are supposed to wean off of that after a few years. However, if you're in a place where milk is plentiful because you have a ton of cows it would make sense if the body was just like "well if that's what we have here..." while the people who did become lactose intolerant probably didn't do well. They either moved to a place where there were other staples, didn't go there in the first place, or just died. Some people slowly become lactose intolerant while others can just chug a gallon of milk every few days and not give a poo poo. There's absolutely a genetic component to it as the ability to process milk is genetic in and of itself but the biological coding for most living things that do the milk thing is to put a time limit on it. Either way it's neat how adaptable humanity is.

Of course humans aren't the only thing to take milk from other species. No other mammal does it but there are apparently birds that go after milk into adulthood which is weird because birds don't do the milk thing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I was lactose intolerant from a couple years old until I was like 5, then I grew out of it.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

I was lactose intolerant from a couple years old until I was like 5, then I grew out of it.

Lucky. I'm currently doing the opposite. I drank milk like it was going out of style until I hit about 30 or so. Then all the sudden drinking milk gives me the bubble guts, but I can still eat cheese, yogurt and whatever else with no problems at all. I'd think that if I were lactose intolerant it would be with any milk product, but it is literally only milk itself. It's weird to me that that started in my 30's.

Also, fun fact, but my mom apparently became lactose intolerant while pregnant with me and has never regained the tolerance. My younger brother gives me poo poo about that to this day.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

nonathlon posted:

Allegedly, when the first platypus was captured, killed and sent back to the museum in England, the response was something along the lines of "haha guys, you got us good, for a while we thought it was real".

I would also err on the side of caution if I lived In a time when Barnum was making "mermaid corpses" and credible scientists were making piltdown men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Soysaucebeast posted:

LThen all the sudden drinking milk gives me the bubble guts, but I can still eat cheese, yogurt and whatever else with no problems at all. I'd think that if I were lactose intolerant it would be with any milk product, but it is literally only milk itself.

Well that's because a lot of processed milk products are naturally low in lactose.