Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I've been wanting to play tabletop rpgs for a while, but never had the opportunity as friends were busy, my highschool dnd club never followed through, and I hadn't realized a nearby cocmic store was hosting games. They have a few different systems, including D&D Adventurer's League 5th edition, Shadowrun 4th edition, Pathfinder (there's a 1st edition game and 2nd edition game) and Starfinder. I don't know anything about the people running the games except the Shadowrun game description is pretty scarce and the D&D campaigns look pretty self contained and meant for low level characters. Any advice on what games I should think about joining and books I should get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I've been wanting to play tabletop rpgs for a while, but never had the opportunity as friends were busy, my highschool dnd club never followed through, and I hadn't realized a nearby cocmic store was hosting games. They have a few different systems, including D&D Adventurer's League 5th edition, Shadowrun 4th edition, Pathfinder (there's a 1st edition game and 2nd edition game) and Starfinder. I don't know anything about the people running the games except the Shadowrun game description is pretty scarce and the D&D campaigns look pretty self contained and meant for low level characters. Any advice on what games I should think about joining and books I should get?

The short answer is always the core rulebook for whatever game you've found a GM for. D&D is never a bad place to start--it's not the best game, but it's absolutely the most commonly played.

The best RPG is the one you can find a group for, after all, so you're starting strong. Shadowrun is a hot mess system but it accepts idiots who don't know what they're doing and occasionally shout, "I whip out my gun and shoot the cop," pretty well. Beyond that, I'd try to join the Adventurer's League, because it's explicitly designed to let people new to the hobby join up with old hands.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Pathfinder 2e is the best system out of all of those, so I would try talking to the GM of that group first. Ultimately as a new player the most important thing is finding a group that you fit well with and that’s accepting of new players. RPGs are pretty universally terrible at teaching you how to play them, so you’ll want to learn from the other players.

Don’t buy any books upfront. Any group that can’t get you set up and playing (including how to play) without requiring you to buy a copy of the rulebook is not worth your time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Arivia will not rest until we've all accepted Pathfinder Second Edition as our Lord and Personal Savior.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Arivia will not rest until we've all accepted Pathfinder Second Edition as our Lord and Personal Savior.

No, why would you think that? There’s plenty of other good RPGs for plenty of other genres, system preferences and so on. It’s the best modern D&D game, but that doesn’t mean it’s everyone’s lord and savior.

So for four out of the five systems listed there, it’s the best among them. I will admit I made an assumption that Shadowrun 4e wasn’t great (I know that’s not the new terrible one), based off of what I’ve read from fans. My thought was that out of those five, it’s the best. If there was a more diverse arrangement I would have happily recommended the group playing FATE or a good PbtA game or something.

But the real important point is to find a friendly group that’s helpful to new players and only buy books once you find a game you like. That should be the takeaway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey y'all keep wanting Redwall RPGs in here. This isn't the same but I think it'll scratch a similar itch: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/105250/Michtim-Fluffy-Adventures?src=hottest_filtered&filters=0_0_45873_0_0

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
My biggest concern right now is that PF2e Core Book + Bestiary total up to 1000 pages, which seems like a lot to me. Still, I'm going to go ahead and give it a read through, see what stands out to me, maybe even do a F&F.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Meinberg posted:

My biggest concern right now is that PF2e Core Book + Bestiary total up to 1000 pages, which seems like a lot to me. Still, I'm going to go ahead and give it a read through, see what stands out to me, maybe even do a F&F.

It does, but the Bestiary is largely like any given monster book in that you don't need to read it cover to cover. The Core Rulebook you definitely have to though.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Arivia posted:

It does, but the Bestiary is largely like any given monster book in that you don't need to read it cover to cover. The Core Rulebook you definitely have to though.

For sure, but it’ll be useful to see how iconic monsters are handled in the system and to see if there’s anything neat and new in there.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A combat/stats heavy game's bestiary (or failing that, monster design rules) really matter to assessing its strength as a system.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

A combat/stats heavy game's bestiary (or failing that, monster design rules) really matter to assessing its strength as a system.

Fair enough! The PF2e monster design rules are currently available for free download from Paizo; they'll be printed in the upcoming Gamemaster's Guide.

e: and I do find the monsters pretty well done and fun to use, honestly. I just don't want YOU HAVE TO READ A THOUSAND PAGES to be the idea people get out of it. Someone at the table has to read 700, yes. But not a thousand for everyone.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Is PF2 still one of those "refer to spell lists on a different page/another book to see what its abilities do" games?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Spiteski posted:

Is PF2 still one of those "refer to spell lists on a different page/another book to see what its abilities do" games?

Yes. One thing I did notice is that a good number of monsters (such as dragons) now come in two versions, one with spellcasting and one without, so you can choose which one is appropriate in terms of story and complexity. Even for the ones that without spellcasting you're still referring to the universal monster rules in the back for some abilities though.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
And annoyingly for a game that’s so formal, there’s no actual rules regarding monsters and spell components, so a giant floating demon can end up RAW having to root through its spell component pouch.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
So, I broke one of my drat fingers at work and that means pretty much no work until next month, when I have some stuff that doesn't need both hands fully functional. I've set up a sale of most of my paid games called the "Speak the Sky broke their drat finger" Sale to try and get some money up so I can pay rent. 1/3 off because 1/3 of my digits on that finger are broken! There's also a special bundle price, but it's just $20.08 -> $20.00 for neatness' sake. The games on sale are:

Twilight Song, a pastoral sci-fi Quiet Year hack set in the twilight of humanity's era, as the world slowly transforms into something strange, beautiful, and new.

From Sea to Shining Sea, a GMless PbtA-ish near-future cyberpunk game of gonzo journalism on the dark side of the moon, heavily inspired by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Angels of the Railway Stations, an epistolary game about angels helping lonely strangers in railway stations in a time of loneliness and bloodshed.

Like Skyscrapers Blotting Out The Sun, a 2-player game of woes in translation where one player is a writer, writing their story line by line, and the other is a translator, taking up room on the page with footnotes that explain all the hidden meanings and nuances of the original work - or so they think.

and

The Cromlech Archives, a game of found-footage weird horror where you create an increasingly-aberrant set of fragmentary records that pose more questions than they answer.

Here's a tweet linking the sale if you feel like giving that a boost:

https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1229866317206949889

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BattleMaster posted:

Speaking of FFG's crazy dice, what ended up happening with their RPG department? I love those dice and I'm worried about the future of them.

Last report is "Probably doomed"

http://www.d20radio.com/main/fantasy-flight-games-long-term-plan-will-discontinue-rpg-development/

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

My next article in the Designing for Gamefeel series is out! This one talks about modality! It's mostly an introduction to the subject, but I also briefly explain why it's important for good gamefeel.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

UnCO3 posted:

So, I broke one of my drat fingers at work and that means pretty much no work until next month, when I have some stuff that doesn't need both hands fully functional. I've set up a sale of most of my paid games called the "Speak the Sky broke their drat finger" Sale to try and get some money up so I can pay rent. 1/3 off because 1/3 of my digits on that finger are broken! There's also a special bundle price, but it's just $20.08 -> $20.00 for neatness' sake. The games on sale are:

Twilight Song, a pastoral sci-fi Quiet Year hack set in the twilight of humanity's era, as the world slowly transforms into something strange, beautiful, and new.

From Sea to Shining Sea, a GMless PbtA-ish near-future cyberpunk game of gonzo journalism on the dark side of the moon, heavily inspired by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Angels of the Railway Stations, an epistolary game about angels helping lonely strangers in railway stations in a time of loneliness and bloodshed.

Like Skyscrapers Blotting Out The Sun, a 2-player game of woes in translation where one player is a writer, writing their story line by line, and the other is a translator, taking up room on the page with footnotes that explain all the hidden meanings and nuances of the original work - or so they think.

and

The Cromlech Archives, a game of found-footage weird horror where you create an increasingly-aberrant set of fragmentary records that pose more questions than they answer.

Here's a tweet linking the sale if you feel like giving that a boost:

https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1229866317206949889

Hey, sorry about your hand(s?) by the way. Good luck.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

How common is using the word lammy/lammie to mean magic item? Locally it seems super common but is it the same elsewhere?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

How common is using the word lammy/lammie to mean magic item? Locally it seems super common but is it the same elsewhere?

I have never heard this word and I am very intrigued.

May I ask where "local" is?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Never heard it myself. Is it meant to be short for something?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Please tell me more about your weird local roleplaying game slang.

Please.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Gort posted:

Never heard it myself. Is it meant to be short for something?

I can only think lammergeier.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Can confirm that Um Jammer Lammy is a magical item, even if you can get digital copies of it these days.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Lemmy?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Xiahou Dun posted:

I have never heard this word and I am very intrigued.

May I ask where "local" is?

Uh, upstate New York.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

Uh, upstate New York.

I can't tell if you're doing a Simpsons gag, but that just gives me more questions if true.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

As in Lamentation Blade?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Im from the uk. The bigger larps in the uk indicate magical items by attaching a laminated card to them (which will have the items rules printed on it). This lead to magic items being known as lammies

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

This is a LARP crossover term - as I understand it in boffer campaign larps they're laminated cards representing items.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O okay, cool. I can't imagine how that would ever come up in my life, but I'm still happy to know it just as a thing.

And yeah, I have never heard that term anywhere in the US. But obviously I can't be exhaustive in the vocabulary of East Podunk Alaska's high school RPG slang or whatever, and I've never really done much LARP. Certainly have never heard it in a random game group or shop.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

Can confirm that Um Jammer Lammy is a magical item, even if you can get digital copies of it these days.

Its ok. The dice are in my mind!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Oh yeah, I had a lammy once in a game, I could activate it once per encounter to convert impassible terrain into difficult terrain.

Edit: Aw poo poo I'm late.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 19, 2020

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

grassy gnoll posted:

Um Jammer Lammy is loving cursed. There's no explanation for the first few minutes of Stage 3 that doesn't involve dark magic.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Limmy?

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hey, sorry about your hand(s?) by the way. Good luck.
Thanks! Just one finger, but it means I can't really do heavy lifting, which is key to pretty much all the work I had this month.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Im from the uk. The bigger larps in the uk indicate magical items by attaching a laminated card to them (which will have the items rules printed on it). This lead to magic items being known as lammies

It has the nice effect that you can tell someone is a badass as they walk across the field to the bar because every item of clothing they're wearing has a little red laminated label stuck to it.

And that if someone passes you a bottle of liquor around a campfire with a load of red laminated labels tied to the neck, you know that Things Are About To Happen if you drink it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BattleMaster posted:

Speaking of FFG's crazy dice, what ended up happening with their RPG department? I love those dice and I'm worried about the future of them.

Their RPG department was completely eliminated. So best you're getting is reprints for the foreseeable future.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Here's the totality of my group's slang:

D&D = any roleplaying game

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Azran posted:

Here's the totality of my group's slang:

D&D = any roleplaying game

Same. This weekend I'm running a Fallout game I rigged out of an old system called Twilight : 2000, me and all 4 players have been referring to it as "fallout d&d"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

It depends what counts. Like would 'go to dice' as a way of saying fighting, or 'default to plan A'