Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The lack of marketing for a major tent pole release such as this is so freaking weird.

It's over a month away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Don’t remind me!

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1229888341769744385

Finally! The direct will be one month away on Feb 20.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Protip posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1229888341769744385

Finally! The direct will be one month away on Feb 20.

But also:

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/1229892342452191238

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Animal Crossing direct and news of Cooking Mama coming out in March is a lot for me to take in.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Idia posted:

Animal Crossing direct and news of Cooking Mama coming out in March is a lot for me to take in.

Also a turn-based strategy game set in the universe of the Netflix original series, Narcos

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Whaddup mayors?! Finally found the thread. Who's gonna run Crapton this go around? Can't wait to play the stalk market and chase down the Japan-only items with y'alls.

This game is gonna be the only thing that gets me through an election year.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Someone go to GameStop in full Doom Slayer armor to pick up Animal Crossing.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

mutata posted:

Whaddup mayors?! Finally found the thread. Who's gonna run Crapton this go around? Can't wait to play the stalk market and chase down the Japan-only items with y'alls.

Feelin' that energy pretty hard, too. I think I need a cutesy game to escape into.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

An official companion guide is releasing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3869931000/

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

glassyalabolas posted:

I remember people wondering about the other facilities since we haven't seen them yet

quote:

Discover and Explore 
Museum lovers will be in for a treat - as long as you're willing to be the one providing the exhibits! It's a hands-on approach to preservation, and every budding naturalist or palaeontologist needs a solid reference book to consult. You won't find a single specimen that's not covered here. 

So the Museum confirmed I guess?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

glassyalabolas posted:

Nice, Future Press does great work all around. Wasn't even remotely considering it until I saw who was putting it out.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/TheFantasticIan/status/1229900499043831810

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Guess I'm buying the guide.

And yeah, it confirms the museum. I have usually been pretty bummed about single game focus directs, but not this one. I figure it's going to swallow up all my gaming time probably until fall.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

I found my Nintendo Power, Gamecube Animal Crossing guide last night. Definitely picking this one up.

The Gamecube one is 164 pages with a full catalog of furniture sets, the new one is 432 pages!

Here's a link to the Nintendo Power one.
https://archive.org/details/AnimalCrossingOfficialPlayersGuide/mode/2up

PeePot fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 19, 2020

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

PeePot posted:

I found my Nintendo Power, Gamecube Animal Crossing guide last night. Definitely picking this one up.

The Gamecube one is 164 pages with a full catalog of furniture sets, the new one is 432 pages!

I remember that guide, but mine fell apart and I got the Prima guide. Which wasn't as good and listed furniture that was only available in the Japanese version.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

mutata posted:

I wanted to wait a bit before posting about new crapton, but I am definitely going to do the loot pile again! If I remember I'll make a more detailed post when I get home from work

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I had fun with the emergent gameplay in this. I made custom military uniforms and handed them out as gifts to all my villagers and asked each of them to address me as Comrade. Then made some propaganda posters and a communist flag out of flowers that matched the one that hung over my mayor office.

My girlfriend hated it. Good times.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

LLJKSiLk posted:

I had fun with the emergent gameplay in this. I made custom military uniforms and handed them out as gifts to all my villagers and asked each of them to address me as Comrade. Then made some propaganda posters and a communist flag out of flowers that matched the one that hung over my mayor office.

...holy poo poo.

It never even occurred to me to do this.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

LLJKSiLk posted:

I found the wall-mounted security camera item and started giving them as gifts to all my villagers. They would gratefully put them in their houses. Then I set up a corner in my basement full of screens and monitors thus establishing my mayor-run surveillance state.

Also: ARCADE!

liquidypoo posted:

I wanted to wait a bit before posting about new crapton, but I am definitely going to do the loot pile again! If I remember I'll make a more detailed post when I get home from work

Hey! Haha, sweet. I felt bad back then that your town was just a huge furni warehouse, but if you're up for it again that was a really awesome thing last go around.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Drone posted:

...holy poo poo.

It never even occurred to me to do this.

It's even more appropriate now since we're basically making our own self sufficient island nations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's even more appropriate now since we're basically making our own self sufficient island nations.

I wonder how many millions of Outer Heavens we'll get...

(At least one because it will be me).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So what was Crapton

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Sankara fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 14, 2020

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

eonwe posted:

So what was Crapton

An almost always-open town liquidypoo ran where we dumped all of the stuff we didn't want so others could go pick-up-and-drop. Doing that "cataloged" (aka unlocked) the item so you could then order as many as you wanted from the catalog.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I remember Crapton!

I think you also did all the japanese 7-11 item dupes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mutata posted:

An almost always-open town liquidypoo ran where we dumped all of the stuff we didn't want so others could go pick-up-and-drop. Doing that "cataloged" (aka unlocked) the item so you could then order as many as you wanted from the catalog.

that's awesome

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

mutata posted:

This is such a good and wholesome idea! I'm definitely down for this if we can do it in NH.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Really hope we get to see some video of the island a bit more developed tomorrow

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

glassyalabolas posted:

I remember Crapton!

I think you also did all the japanese 7-11 item dupes.

I can't remember the guy who was doing those, but I definitely hounded him constantly until he finally gave me a set. I rocked the 7-11 employee shirt forever after that and having an ATM in my house made me ~*SPECIAL*~, I don't care what anyone says.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

How gloriously communist!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

The first Saturday after release, New Leaf Crapton had the beginnings of a music collection. By the end there was a square field dedicated to 90% of the KK Slider songs available in the game, if not the entire collection. It ruled in 2013, and it's gonna rule again!

Mutata, there's nothing to feel bad about when it comes to the loot pile set up. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get into outdoor decorating even though that's definitely the shiny new thing. For me, running the gimmick was fun enough. Can't wait to get home so I can make a proper post about our next communist haven

Edit: I forgot to mention the screenshot Mutata posted. I really like that one cause it shows off the stump glitch we found, too. I used to let the town idle and just sit on a tree stump, and at some point someone realized that having people enter and exit town turned off the "occupied seat" flag for some reason, so you could have multiple people sitting on the same stump and create this horrifying mishmash of several mayors

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 19, 2020

cats
May 11, 2009
Of course I have a random meeting that's barely worth attending tomorrow, at the same time as the Direct.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Crapton sounds amazing. I wished I knew about it while playing New Leaf. I don't think in New Horizons you can have more than one island on the switch? So I guess there won't be a Crap island. :(

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Idia posted:

Crapton sounds amazing. I wished I knew about it while playing New Leaf. I don't think in New Horizons you can have more than one island on the switch? So I guess there won't be a Crap island. :(

Well that's what liquidypoo is saying, if the cataloging thing is still a thing, then he's volunteering to devote his island to be the warehouse. I guess it'll just depend on how easy multiplayer is and what the unlocking/cataloging systems are.

liquidypoo posted:

Edit: I forgot to mention the screenshot Mutata posted. I really like that one cause it shows off the stump glitch we found, too. I used to let the town idle and just sit on a tree stump, and at some point someone realized that having people enter and exit town turned off the "occupied seat" flag for some reason, so you could have multiple people sitting on the same stump and create this horrifying mishmash of several mayors

It was always a joy to stump-merge with a few other mayors during visits to Crapton.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Idia posted:

To be fair, if Crapton was always open, it's not like liquidypoo could've enjoyed their own island at the same time anyway, so it's functionally the same sacrifice.

I wonder if New Horizons will have the same "island has to be open in order to be visited" restriction? Nintendo being Nintendo I expect so, but maybe it'll be a toggle. Maybe.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I've gotten back from work which means it's time for me to really break down my plans for New Horizons! Mutata did a wonderful job explaining what New Leaf Crapton was all about, but now that I'm free to type on a real keyboard instead of tapping furiously at my phone, I can really, really get down into the nitty gritty details.

For any New Leaf players familiar with what I did with my town, welcome back! For anyone who missed out, let me explain: provided the basic mechanics are the same, I had my town open for goons to pop in and drop off any unwanted junk they happened to be lugging around. This meant that you could come into town, rub new stuff all over the insides of your pockets, preferably dump it back out onto the ground, and go about your business! This was all for the Nook store catalog, which allowed you to order most game items for the same price as you would find them if they happened to show up in the store physically, at the cost of waiting for it to show up in the mail. Instead of waiting patiently for that Lovely Dresser to show up in the store, chances are you could find it lying in wait at my town's entrance, which would allow you to order it right away at home instead of futilely waiting for the RNG to stop doing you dirty.

New Horizons' loot pile will be named the International Dump, but probably shortened to Int'l Dump due to character limits. You'll be able to find the dumping grounds at SW-7379-4060-4812, and I'll be inputting this info into the spreadsheet for easy access. Back in New Leaf times, I had a part time job, so Crapton was free to stay open more often than I care to admit. Nowadays, I've got myself a full time job with 9-5 style hours (Central time zone here), so we're mostly looking at evenings and weekends for the Dump to be open.

Now, all of that said, we haven't seen confirmation that the catalog is coming back. Honestly, I don't see why it wouldn't, but I have an idea of how a loot pile could still work in a no catalog zone. In the unlikely event that the catalog is gone, the Dump can still serve a valuable purpose: a veritable treasure trove of crafting materials! Surplus tools! If picking up crafted furniture not on your crafting list can add it to your crafting list, then that's a big plus too! There's also just having a place to hang out and screw around without worry of something going awry on your own island. Hopefully I see all of you (well, seven of you at a time) on March 20th!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

liquidypoo posted:

Int'l Dump

This will be so perfect if you're able to place overflow items in the water and just have it all perpetually washing up on the shore

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
Int'l Dump is going to own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

PeePot posted:

Here's a link to the Nintendo Power one.
https://archive.org/details/AnimalCrossingOfficialPlayersGuide/mode/2up

Haha, that one was scanned and uploaded from my own collection, glad to see people use it in any capacity :)