Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if I can't play as Dogi I might die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The combat and enemy design in 7 was much better and that’s 95% of what i care about

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/1230200379448733702

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That's kinda bizarre, how old are those releases now? But still pretty cool.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

That's kinda bizarre, how old are those releases now? But still pretty cool.

Did Falcom do a PS4 re-release or something?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
For Memories of Celceta, yes, but I don't think there's anything for Oath in Felghana.

Also I'm listening to the voice clips and I don't think I've noticed before that Chester is the same voice actor as Patrick in Cold Steel.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I have to say, I never imagined Galbalan speaking with Jamieson Price's manly man voice

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

OddObserver posted:

Did Falcom do a PS4 re-release or something?

For Celceta and only in Japan so far

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
I long wanted to add the PSP voiceovers and BGM sets to the PC version of Oath in Felghana but had to do it the hard way, manually, so I put it on the backburner... and I'm glad you can all finally use them!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It's a very cool touch. Thanks.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Saralene posted:

I long wanted to add the PSP voiceovers and BGM sets to the PC version of Oath in Felghana but had to do it the hard way, manually, so I put it on the backburner... and I'm glad you can all finally use them!

Aww, that's super nice, thank you! I always thought it was a bit of a shame that the English VO was only in the PSP version, so I really appreciate it.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Does anyone have that 4 koma from Trails SC where, I want to say Kurt, reveals that steering a boat while unconscious is one of the techniques he knows?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
That sounds more like a Falcom Gakuen thing, but it does sound familiar.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
It might be, I meant more that it was about SC.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That definitely sounds like the type of thing they'd put into Falcom Gakuen.

Nereidum
Apr 26, 2008
It is from Falcom Gakuen: https://trailsoftrials.wordpress.com/2019/06/30/falcom-academy-is-back-in-session/

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Thanks very much, that is exactly what I was looking for! I tried Googling for translations of Falcom Gakuen but was coming up dry. My friend is playing through the games and I wanted to show him this when he gets to the scene in question.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/omgfloofy/status/1232393497921171456

It's currently at 24

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

quote:

NIS America will make two announcements next week—on March 3 and March 5, respectively—the company said in an e-mail sent to press.

The publisher did not share any further details.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/02/nis-america-teases-announcements-for-march-3-and-5

:f5:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Would this be anything but Cold Steel 4 and Ys 9? I know Crossbell is what everyone wants but.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I have to imagine that if they were ever going to localize Crossbell, the time is now. The games are massive, and they're getting a PS4 port in the next month or two. If they don't announce it now, how long before the PS5 is out and there's no real market anymore?

E: That said, I am 100% down for Ys 9 and Cold Steel 4 and would be very happy if those were the announcements.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the announcement is gonna be a CAD for the fan translation

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

the announcement is gonna be a CAD for the fan translation

I mean, they'd stop anyway if an official localization was announced.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Could be anything with NISA, their announcement at an earlier panel this week was uh Kemono Heroes? Just saying don't get your hopes up yet.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Yeah Nisa seems to handle localizing 80% of RPGs not developed by big shots that can do it themselves now. Honestly worried about it tbh, the other main 3 localizers(Xseed, Atlus, Aksys) all seem to have heavily cut back or left at this point.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
They confirmed that it's not going to be CS4.

https://www.twitch.tv/nisamerica/clip/YawningVenomousPeanutArgieB8?filter=clips&range=7d&sort=time

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's PQube as well but they only seem to do VNs and very low budget stuff like Dusk Divers.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

Yeah Nisa seems to handle localizing 80% of RPGs not developed by big shots that can do it themselves now. Honestly worried about it tbh, the other main 3 localizers(Xseed, Atlus, Aksys) all seem to have heavily cut back or left at this point.

I think XSeed was hit really hard by that one Senran Kagura game; my understanding was that it was their most lucrative series since it didn’t have a JRPG-length script, English voiceovers to pay for and sold well, which really sucks.

On the other hand though, how many niche JRPGS are being made in general? If guys like Sting are still making non-mobile games as much as they did before then that’s worrying, but it just sort of seems like less niche JRPGs are being made since they were easiest to make for simpler handhelds.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's still plenty of niche jrpgs being made, more devs are localizing in house though or have their own western publishing branch now that anime games are more popular in the west.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Last Celebration posted:

On the other hand though, how many niche JRPGS are being made in general? If guys like Sting are still making non-mobile games as much as they did before then that’s worrying, but it just sort of seems like less niche JRPGs are being made since they were easiest to make for simpler handhelds.

What do you consider "niche," like less than 200k sales, cause there's no shortage of jrpgs beyond Square and Atlus

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

:catstare: That better be joke material, there's no reason to not have any plans at all for it.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

"trails of no plans at this time" is a joke, yeah

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Supremezero posted:

:catstare: That better be joke material, there's no reason to not have any plans at all for it.

'No plans at this time' is PR speak for 'can't talk about it'.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Its a fear of mine that someday rising development costs will crush the life out of all the small and medium companies and I'll be allowed to play nothing but Persona, Final Fantasy, and Tales.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That already happened. in the late 2000s, no less. Digital distribution of smaller games by smaller studios took their place.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Yeah, we're pretty solidly past that now. Prices for making AAA games skyrocketed, but technology improved, so making games in general got cheaper and easier. So now instead of an infinite supply of small studios trying to make bootleg versions of popular games, we have an infinite supply of indy studios doing whatever they feel like.

It's... mostly an upgrade? They both tend to turn out vast amounts of trash, but I feel like indies produce a larger amount of actually good things.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MythosDragon posted:

Its a fear of mine that someday rising development costs will crush the life out of all the small and medium companies and I'll be allowed to play nothing but Persona, Final Fantasy, and Tales.

Do you not play many jrpgs in the first place or....

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

JRPGs and anime games are more popular than ever before globally, as are indie and smaller budget games in general, i wouldn't worry about a collapse.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm pretty sure that they were saying "no plans at this time" about the pc version of CS3 days before it was announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
In regards to the JRPG market - there's also the fact that most companies making these kinds of games have substantially increased their potential audience in the past five or so years by consistently porting them to PC/Steam (Atlus aside, ha). Think about how many Japanese games there are on Steam now compared to the early 2010s. Or even just how many of the year's moderate-to-major JRPG releases get (close to) simultaneous PC launches. Valkyria Chronicles was basically resurrected as a franchise thanks to a well-performing Steam release.

In fact, the global top seller on Steam right now is Nier Automata - nearly three years after its PC launch. That's a hell of a lot of money that at one point not too long ago would've just been left on the table.