Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

To an extent - at some point I have to trust somebody's imnplementation of the protocol unless I want to try and implement it myself (which seems like a really bad idea).

Ultimately I'm using it because that's the first Google result for "BCrypt for .NET". If there's another implementation I should rather be using, I'd like to know which one. The github page does say it's a port of https://bcrypt.codeplex.com, but considering that site immediately throws up a browser warning I'm hesitant to go any further with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Volmarias posted:

Lol if you actually think this

I can dream.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Argon2 is also a fairly popular recommendation now and it should be fairly easy to find a trustable implementation of it for dotnet.

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
IIRC one of the OWASP pages recommends PBKDF2 with .NET because it's provided in the standard lib. What's the consensus on PBKDF2?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You can reasonably argue that PBKDF2 is a reasonable choice for a password hashing algorithm during an audit or when your password database gets leaked and you won't get tarred and feathered over it, imho.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PBKDF2 is still on the list of cryptographic right answers too, so it doesn't seem like it's the worst way to go.
if you're designing something from the ground up, meaning you don't have to deal with legacy systems, scrypt is preferred.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

That's just too perfect. When I was telling my team we were all getting new Cisco desk phones I said there would be a prize for the first person to install Doom on it. You know, as a joke. I should have known better.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So this Crypto AG bullshit is pretty much the poster child of a reason as to why for-pay VPNs nowadays are complete bullshit for "privacy".

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

wireguard doesn't use nist curves, does it?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Potato Salad posted:

wireguard doesn't use nist curves, does it?

No, it uses X25519 for key exchange, BLAKE2 for hashing, and ChaCha20-Poly1305 for encryption/authenticaiton which is as good as you can get for avoiding NIST-endoresed technology.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

So this Crypto AG bullshit is pretty much the poster child of a reason as to why for-pay VPNs nowadays are complete bullshit for "privacy".

Huh, I hadn't read about that. I'd really like to think that there's some way for the Swiss government to squeeze the CIA's balls on this, but barring people known to be in on it (who presumably moved back to the States afterward) being dumb enough to go back to Switzerland I doubt that's happening.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

No, it uses X25519 for key exchange, BLAKE2 for hashing, and ChaCha20-Poly1305 for encryption/authenticaiton which is as good as you can get for avoiding NIST-endoresed technology.
And thank gently caress for that.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mr.Radar posted:

Is the implication here that NIST-endorsed tech and algorithms should be viewed as highly suspect? I mean I don't want to sound like a rube or something, but...

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 17, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateAccount posted:

Is the implication here that NIST-endorsed tech and algorithms should be viewed as highly suspect? I mean I don't want to sound like a rube or something, but...

They don't have a good track record. It isn't that "everything NIST is bad" because almost all of it is legitimately good, but NIST endorsement in and of itself doesn't mean the thing is good, and if NIST is the only thing endorsing the thing, I would indeed be very suspicious. The fact that we tend to use NIST-sponsored things is mostly because the community agrees with them and not because they're authoritative.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

xtal posted:

They don't have a good track record. It isn't that "everything NIST is bad" because almost all of it is legitimately good, but NIST endorsement in and of itself doesn't mean the thing is good, and if NIST is the only thing endorsing the thing, I would indeed be very suspicious. The fact that we tend to use NIST-sponsored things is mostly because the community agrees with them and not because they're authoritative.

can you elaborate on their poor track record? That seems a bit incongruent with your next sentence of "almost all of it is legitimately good"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

The Iron Rose posted:

can you elaborate on their poor track record? That seems a bit incongruent with your next sentence of "almost all of it is legitimately good"

Almost all of their recommendations are for good things like SHA and AES, I believe. The most egregious example of them standardizing a bad thing was Dual_EC_DRGB. But there are all sorts of other attempts that didn't make it so far.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/telecom/security/can-you-trust-nist

xtal fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 17, 2020

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Do you ascribe the missteps to genuine mistakes or perhaps a bit something more malicious? Sounds like they should just be viewed as a "generally good, but singular source, so seek corroborating opinions from other worthwhile entities" kind of thing?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm ok with that!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The idea that a single source is insufficient extends well beyond NIST, of course.
It's why I won't be using Wireguard until the implementation that's landing in FreeBSD at some point has been independently audited as the IPSec implementation has, and why I encourage caution with OpenBSDs audits, as they're by definition not independent.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
X25519 is the only choice where not trusting NIST was part of the choice. Nobody knows why the NIST curves use the coefficients they do, whereas X25519 has a document explaining its choices. This is in addition to a number of other problems with the NIST curves, such as not producing output that looks uniformly random. AES and SHA-2 are both solid, but there are various other reasons why other algorithms are preferable, such as performance and implementation complexity.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Double Punctuation posted:

X25519 is the only choice where not trusting NIST was part of the choice. Nobody knows why the NIST curves use the coefficients they do, whereas X25519 has a document explaining its choices. This is in addition to a number of other problems with the NIST curves, such as not producing output that looks uniformly random. AES and SHA-2 are both solid, but there are various other reasons why other algorithms are preferable, such as performance and implementation complexity.
AES and SHA2 are both accelerated via hardware in modern processors, and PCLMULQDQ on x86_64 and XMULXHI on SPARC were added explicitly for GCM (although I'm aware that it's not perfect).
Comparatively, skein is an example of a crypto-primitive was made explicitly to be fast without hardware acceleration, but it's still slower - though it's great for ZFS on platforms without hardware acceleration!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Anyone use Rumble.run and have any thoughts? Distributed asset discovery service by HD Moore. I really only need it for a bridged wifi audit across ~50 sites.

https://www.rumble.run

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

From a few days ago, but I'm just catching up...

Combat Pretzel posted:

This may be true if you're involved in international espionage, and CIA-level agencies are specifically what you're trying to defend against.

A VPN is still perfectly effective if you're just some schmoe on the Internet and you'd rather that all the movies and TV shows public-domain Christian folk songs that you're torrenting not be visible to your ISP, or that your IP address not be visible to every peer in the swarm. Or you'd rather that your home IP not be visible to every single website you visit. Or you'd rather that the nosy person at the next table at the coffee shop not be able to sniff the wifi and see what sites you're visiting (or see everything you see, or even hijack your session, if for some reason the site isn't using https yet). Or you'd rather make life that much more difficult for marketing trackers.

And while the Crypto AG thing is pretty bad, it doesn't necessarily follow that every company is compromised and every algorithm is backdoored.

VPNs are not a magic privacy wand, no matter what their marketing may imply. But they're far from useless.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That reminds me, Algo's GitHub says "Does not claim to provide anonymity or censorship avoidance," why is that? Because your name is presumably going to be attached to the endpoint? Or is it just a CYA / statement that if the Mossad wants to steal your fansubs of the newest Magical Girl anime they will?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That reminds me, Algo's GitHub says "Does not claim to provide anonymity or censorship avoidance," why is that? Because your name is presumably going to be attached to the endpoint? Or is it just a CYA / statement that if the Mossad wants to steal your fansubs of the newest Magical Girl anime they will?

It's a reminder that a VPN isn't magic security dust and that if you're going to do something legally frowned upon somewhere it's only going to go so far.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Given that Algo itself doesn't own any of the providers, I'd take that to mean only that your anonymity is only protected so far as Digital Ocean or whoever want to protect it, which is not a factor Algo itself can possibly control.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Given that Algo itself doesn't own any of the providers, I'd take that to mean only that your anonymity is only protected so far as Digital Ocean or whoever want to protect it, which is not a factor Algo itself can possibly control.
what anonymity? the concept of a vpn is providing confidentiality of the route between your client and the vpn server. the metadata of transfers (timing/size) is observable to an intermediary, and chaos reigns on the route from the vpn server proxying the query to the third-party on your behalf

the statement is required as vpn providers make money off of this ignorance when half of the route is all they encapsulate. the rest is always in-play, all you're doing is moving where the start of your connection effectively is

marketers really don't care about you jumping through a vpn - its just another way you make yourself unique and makes it easier to connect sessions since you're going to run their code in your browser anyway what does the route matter

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

This may be true if you're involved in international espionage, and CIA-level agencies are specifically what you're trying to defend against.
Considering how all alphabet soup agencies are interested in cleartext traffic of just about anyone (all this five/eleven/whatever eyes bullshit), running a bunch of popular VPN outfits sounds like a great idea to monitor people that'd fall under some sort of general suspicion. If you exclude the torrenters, what's left is people that think they have or need to hide something, to varying degrees.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Random showerthought: Considering this Crypto AG poo poo, it's rich for the US to make such a drama about Huawei's 5G equipment.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Combat Pretzel posted:

Random showerthought: Considering this Crypto AG poo poo, it's rich for the US to make such a drama about Huawei's 5G equipment.

why though

given the capabilities the US is aware that this kind of intercept provides, it makes even more sense for them to try to make sure other nation states don't have that ability within its borders

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 20, 2020

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Wow this is really effective, I shouldn't let somebody else do this to me"

This is a sound way to think

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yes, everyone is aware of the hypocrisy, and it's entirely possible if not probable that there are similar vulnerabilities intentional or otherwise that the NSA et al are aware of if they weren't the principle creators of.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

Considering that China is committing an intentional planned genocide as we speak, maybe get back in the shower and think about the historical parallels a bit more.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm always tickled by the online opinions of Americans.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Huawei isnt doing anything we dont do, but at the same time the idea of letting them inside to do the same thing is pretty no brainer bad.

China is even more direct than the US though: It takes lawsuits and court orders in the US to get tapping/intercept, but China does that out the door with their companies: If you make it, they have a right to it. They will replace anybody on your board who objects, and they own the right to all IP/Devices. If you have corporate VPN they have to be provided a key.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 20, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm not an American, if that was aimed at me.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

It takes lawsuits and court orders in the US to get tapping/intercept,

this is naive and wrong

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

this is naive and wrong

Barr isnt promoting having Crypto backdoors as a cover, they do not have the same legal leverage as Prosecutors in China do. And nobody is pretending that all the trunks are not tapped by default, nor that FISA courts dont exist.

But its naive to claim that the relationship is 1:1, and still doesnt suddenly make accepting Huawei's backdoors palatable.

There is more ability in the US to challenge this stuff versus China, where every manufacturer is considered an extension of the state and that is openly said, and cannot be challenged at all.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 20, 2020

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...iley_bookbundle

Decent collection of books and material if you are want to learn more about CyberSecurity and hacking. Pay $1 or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

But its naive to claim that the relationship is 1:1, and still doesnt suddenly make accepting Huawei's backdoors palatable.
My gripe is more that the US is throwing around political threats in the general direction of other sovereign entities (e.g. Europe), for daring to continue to consider Huawei equipment, while these assholes themselves are undermining our territory with their own spying bullshit.

The Uighur thing is a weird matter to bring up. Considering the US is otherwise also acting as the world's police, they're sure free to deal with it.