Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Oh, sorry if I seemed dismissive or anything, I was genuine in my response. 12h is way more than I would need so that might work!

No worries! I hadn't actually provided a meaningful response for your situation (which is why I asked about ownership of the vehicle; I'm 100% with you on not loving with poorly maintained fleet vehicles).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1227643275638644737?s=19

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Are encrypted Dashcams a thing? In an ideal world whatever I recorded would only be accessible by me (absent a court order). I like the idea of capturing video to cover my rear end, but not a big fan of capturing video in the odd event that I do something that actually is incriminating by mistake.

Swallow the microSD card.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Someone posted that before. IIRC it was from a movie being filmed on location.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Craptacular posted:

Yeah, it was from The Hitman's Bodyguard.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cached Money posted:

Swallow the microSD card.

We can only hold you for 24 hours, but that's long enough :cop: :shrek:

e:
Maybe he needed to pee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYLKAe0i43I

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 15, 2020

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

We got a badass on our hands boys! Can't wait for anyone!!

He started off on the turnpike with the usual micropenis ducking and weaving and cutting off everyone to jockey ahead one car length at a time in super heavy traffic.

Then we get off and there's the typical line after the toll booth where it backs up every day, instead of waiting in line flies past everyone in the next lane (only for going straight at the light) then cuts in front of everyone (people do this every frigging day but whatever)

Then, well, you'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YjYbgcgId0

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Craptacular posted:

Huh, I had not noticed that the Mini's (or whatever..) wheels were so conveniently cranked towards the canal. Makes sense.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

White car fighting the good fight, but in this case it looks like the truck commercials were right and this one got away :smith:

Got another incredibly blatant red light run, mostly posting as an excuse to check out my new camera and settings. This is at 1440p with HDR and a polarizing filter. I can't decide between HDR or no, because not using it creates an objectively better looking picture, HDR is all band-y and washed out, but may also make plates easier to read :tizzy: Also using my camera's secret h.265 feature though that shouldn't affect the picture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K97Ye4BpDAs

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

opengl128 posted:

We got a badass on our hands boys! Can't wait for anyone!!

He started off on the turnpike with the usual micropenis ducking and weaving and cutting off everyone to jockey ahead one car length at a time in super heavy traffic.

Then we get off and there's the typical line after the toll booth where it backs up every day, instead of waiting in line flies past everyone in the next lane (only for going straight at the light) then cuts in front of everyone (people do this every frigging day but whatever)

Then, well, you'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YjYbgcgId0

PA Turnpike at Willow Grove, right?
Edit: yep, the freeze frame proves it. I used to live about 2 minutes from there.
The white car made a valiant "anti-rear end in a top hat" block, but did not anticipate the level of assholery that was present.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 20, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I really liked my Mobius form factor, but it just wasn't recording consistently and without a LCD screen it was difficult to tell whether it was capturing anything at all. The worst part was when I went to the mountains and it captured none of the forest service roads, but inexplicably recorded 8 hours parked in front of a cabin at night. :wtc:

Picked up an Apeman C450 with the OBD2 power supply and that seems to be working okay. The OBD2 option is a lot better than snaking an USB cable across half your car and it's supposed to stop recording if the battery voltage drops below 12. LCD screen quality is rear end, but I haven't pulled the card yet to see what the recorded video quality looks like. I imagine it'll look like a $50 dash cam because that's what it is.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If your battery voltage is below 12, you done hosed up. Where it's your OBD2 port? Every car I have ever seen keeps it below the dash on the driver's side. While most USB and charging ports are in the center console or center dash. What's the advantage here? Keep a cigarette lighter or USB port open?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It’s on the drivers’ side near the left foot where the hood release would otherwise be.

The advantage is just smarter power management. I think the camera can draw power from the OBD2 port without some other trigger that would be required with USB. So it can use a parking mode that turns on because of movement or vibration. The USB port runs for a hour after the car turns off and then won’t start again without some driver interaction.

Seems to work well. I don’t have any fuses I can connect to in the passenger area, so it’s this or wire though the engine firewall.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I realize how good of an idea it is to use that port for power, just ordered 2 cables.

In fact, This is the solution for whoever was looking to plug a dash cam into their work vehicle.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dumb question: Why do most of the manufacturers seem to want to run through the OBD port if you want the camera to run while the car is off but not kill the battery? Does the OBD port turn itself off at some voltage cutoff or in some other way obviate the need for a voltage monitor built into the (cable / cam)?

I saw these adapters and would like my wife's car to have parking mode, but don't really like the idea of having a random device plugged into the OBD port.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pin 16 on ODB2 specification is +12v always on. The cigarette lighter or USB port on a car may or may not be always on. If those are your two choices, ODB2 is going to be consistently working while the other might not. I don't think "but not kill the battery" is really a consideration, the power draw from a dashcam is negligible, a few milliamps draw let on overnight shouldn't do anything to a healthy car battery.

I actually really want to switch now because the cigarette lighter plug interferes with the passenger's cup holder on my car, I've just been too lazy to order an adapter.

e. If you look at the ODB2 pinout:

The only pins your dashcam needs are the ground and the +12v. If it has no connectors for the other pins, you can be pretty confident it's safe and is not going to accidentally do something bad to the car's computer.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 24, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think "but not kill the battery" is really a consideration, the power draw from a dashcam is negligible, a few milliamps draw let on overnight shouldn't do anything to a healthy car battery.

Do newer cars with LED lighting have more of a chance of not killing the battery if accidentally left on then? I rely on my automatic lights because dimwit here drained a battery through lights, but it would be nice to know it's not a death sentence anymore.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Do newer cars with LED lighting have more of a chance of not killing the battery if accidentally left on then? I rely on my automatic lights because dimwit here drained a battery through lights, but it would be nice to know it's not a death sentence anymore.

Many modern cars have some sort of battery protection feature where they will automatically kill interior/exterior lights if left on for X amount of time without the engine running. At least on my car, it is 10 minutes for the radio (which is actually kind of annoying if you are sitting in the car waiting on someone!) and 1 hour for the lights.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The battery in my car costs like $1500 to replace so it's not something I want on an always on circuit. I'll eventually hardwire my dash cam to something on the mirror, for now I'm fine with it going to the socket under the dash that powers off after 5 minutes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

stevewm posted:

Many modern cars have some sort of battery protection feature where they will automatically kill interior/exterior lights if left on for X amount of time without the engine running. At least on my car, it is 10 minutes for the radio (which is actually kind of annoying if you are sitting in the car waiting on someone!) and 1 hour for the lights.

It feels like something so obvious I can't believe it isn't a default thing. My car is like 10 years old, but it's still a surprise... it's not a new issue! The radio I can agree would be annoying though, unless you could override it easily enough.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Krakkles posted:

Dumb question: Why do most of the manufacturers seem to want to run through the OBD port if you want the camera to run while the car is off but not kill the battery? Does the OBD port turn itself off at some voltage cutoff or in some other way obviate the need for a voltage monitor built into the (cable / cam)?

I have no idea how they actually do it but if you accept 12V in your own hardware then you can monitor the line voltage and shut down the dashcam when it gets too low.
If you take in 5V then you have no idea how the battery is actually doing.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

fknlo posted:

The battery in my car costs like $1500 to replace so it's not something I want on an always on circuit. I'll eventually hardwire my dash cam to something on the mirror, for now I'm fine with it going to the socket under the dash that powers off after 5 minutes.
I'd like to hear more about the $1,500 battery replacement. Does the engine and all of the body work needs to be removed first? Is there a crane involved? Are you typing "car" when you actually mean a Boeing 747?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

I'd like to hear more about the $1,500 battery replacement. Does the engine and all of the body work needs to be removed first? Is there a crane involved? Are you typing "car" when you actually mean a Boeing 747?

Google f80 battery replacement.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

EL BROMANCE posted:

It feels like something so obvious I can't believe it isn't a default thing. My car is like 10 years old, but it's still a surprise... it's not a new issue! The radio I can agree would be annoying though, unless you could override it easily enough.

GM started doing "retained accessory power" (radio/power windows stay on for 15 minutes or a door is opened, whichever comes first) in 1990 on some models. I remember my mom's 1990 Eldorado had it, and I think I remember my grandfather (who owned several GM dealers) saying it was a new thing for that model year. Both of my Saturns had it, they would also kill all interior lights after either 15 or 30 minutes (so if you left a door or trunk open, no dead battery). The latter is really annoying when you rent a GM box truck that has the cargo light powered by the dome light in the cab - you have to open the door again (even though the dash light override switch is on) to get it back on.

I had two power sockets in the Saturns, the one up front was constantly live. The other was switched with accessory power.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 25, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh, I see where you screwed up:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

fknlo posted:

Google f80 battery replacement.

Holy gently caress... Lithium battery that costs $900+ AND requires coding/programming. How fantastically German of them.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Good news is my f80 battery never needed replacing in the 4 years I had it and it’ll automatically cut off if the voltage gets close to dropping below crank requirement.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I have no pity for people who continuously shovel money into the the bottomless pit which is German "luxury brands". That was great laugh, thank you. Second link is Turner Motorsport that will sell you a performance racing battery for $2500. At this point it's just a tax on people with more money than sense I guess.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yeah that’s why I traded mine in just before the warranty was up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
But you see the battery lasts twice as long so in reality you're only paying 3x as much as everyone else instead of 6x as much.

I turned on motion detection on my dash cam and then proceeded to rock my vehicle back and forth and the camera never came on. :shrug: It wasn't a primary selling point so I'm not mad.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

PenisMonkey posted:

Good news is my f80 battery never needed replacing in the 4 years I had it and it’ll automatically cut off if the voltage gets close to dropping below crank requirement.

But most standard lead acid batteries last this long or longer... So all that additional expense for... what exactly? For BMW to make more money on service appointments!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

But most standard lead acid batteries last this long or longer... So all that additional expense for... what exactly? For BMW to make more money on service appointments!
Lithium batteries have been a thing in the sporty car world for a while, spend a few hundred bucks to save a few pounds.

The thing about having to code the car specifically for a battery though, that's the part I'd like to hear someone actually justify.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

stevewm posted:

It's supposed to last 10 years. Still not exactly worth it of course. The number of people that have actually had to replace the battery is pretty low as far as I can tell, so it seems to be holding up alright. The oldest f80's are only like 5 years old though, including mine. Hopefully there will be some aftermarket options at some point, but I don't know if that will work with the whole coding thing.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

stevewm posted:

The point was it lasted just fine for the 4 years I had it so I spent $0 replacing it because I never replaced it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I wonder why 6 year old used luxury cars are so cheap!

Oh, that's why.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

PenisMonkey posted:

The point was it lasted just fine for the 4 years I had it so I spent $0 replacing it because I never replaced it.

Doesn't BMW cover all the service items for the first three years or something like that?

They started doing it when cars coming back after a 3-year lease were basically unsellable, with zero maintenance performed by the "owners". Of course, when your oil change cost $300, and your leasing demographic shops by monthly payment amount, it was guaranteed to happen. Everything about German "luxury brands" is terrible with money.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

It's supposed to last 10 years. Still not exactly worth it of course. The number of people that have actually had to replace the battery is pretty low as far as I can tell, so it seems to be holding up alright. The oldest f80's are only like 5 years old though, including mine. Hopefully there will be some aftermarket options at some point, but I don't know if that will work with the whole coding thing.

The original battery in my first Saturn died right around the 10 year mark, and it was a plain ol' lead acid battery.

Getting the battery out of the hot engine bay does wonders for longevity.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Nitrox posted:

Doesn't BMW cover all the service items for the first three years or something like that?

They started doing it when cars coming back after a 3-year lease were basically unsellable, with zero maintenance performed by the "owners". Of course, when your oil change cost $300, and your leasing demographic shops by monthly payment amount, it was guaranteed to happen. Everything about German "luxury brands" is terrible with money.

In the 90s, Korean automobile brands were seen in the US as like 70s Honda - cheap, poor initial quality, and poor reliability. They fought that in the early naughties by introducing the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty. Around that time, the consumer automotive industry started focusing on Total Cost of Ownership; German brands, with their high maintenance costs and running costs, were having a hard time stacking up. A $50K BMW which cost $15K to maintain and run for three years didn't seem so hot compared to a similarly-equipped $52K Toyota with $8K in maintenance over the same period. In order to reduce that TCO figure and appeal more to cost-conscious consumers; BMW, Mercedes, and eventually other brands, began introducing maintenance included for a set period (often 3 years) after initial purchase. A desire by those brands to make even more profit resulted in maintenance items that previously had been included in the manufacturer's suggested maint. schedule were no longer included. This has led to the "lifetime" coolant, "lifetime" transmission fluid, "lifetime" brake fluid, so on and so forth.

I'm pretty sure BMW did not lengthen maintenance intervals and introduce an included maintenance plan to raise the value of leased vehicles in the 90s/00s because they didn't have a pre-owned warranty program and tended to try to ignore the existence of used BMWs entirely. It wasn't until after the CPO program was introduced that the maintenance warranty became a thing.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 25, 2020

stevewm
May 10, 2005

STR posted:

The original battery in my first Saturn died right around the 10 year mark, and it was a plain ol' lead acid battery.

Getting the battery out of the hot engine bay does wonders for longevity.

Wonder if that's why a lot of them are in the trunk now.. The last 3 GM vehicles I've owned, they where all in the trunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Honestly not sure, but mine was in the trunk as well.

They've been playing the hide the battery game for awhile. Under the back seat, under the driver's seat (which really sucks if you have power seats and the battery dies), in the trunk, and to make it real fun, in the hatch of the HHR, which can only open the hatch electrically (no key or manual release).