Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

most mainstream cars are made of stuff other than mild steel today

Is machine learning a thing to make cars out of? Probably a bad idea~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

One day mainstream cars will be made of materials other than mild steel. The moment the first mass-produced car with a carbon fibre and aluminium frame rolls off the production line it will be a glorious day (and I'll likely be long dead).

Doesn't the best selling vehicle in the US have an aluminum body?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BloodBag posted:

Doesn't the best selling vehicle in the US have an aluminum body?

SUBMARINES AREN'T :patriot:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

most mainstream cars are made of stuff other than mild steel today

If I can stick a magnet to it, it doesn't count.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Olympic Mathlete posted:

One day mainstream cars will be made of materials other than mild steel. The moment the first mass-produced car with a carbon fibre and aluminium frame rolls off the production line it will be a glorious day (and I'll likely be long dead).
1999 was primed and ready to be that day but everyone was too busy buying 150 times more Camrys and F150s

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If you take a step back from the ingrained relationship we have with cars and look at it from a detached perspective, the idea that everyone drives around in something as huge and wasteful as even a small car is absurd. Mass transit and small personal transportation options like scooters make so much more sense for a society to be built around.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Counterpoint: everybody hates everyone else and doesn't want to be in a metal box with them. See also: airplanes.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Wheeee posted:

If you take a step back from the ingrained relationship we have with cars and look at it from a detached perspective, the idea that everyone drives around in something as huge and wasteful as even a small car is absurd. Mass transit and small personal transportation options like scooters make so much more sense for a society to be built around.

But then we'd be just like those peasants in Vietnam and Thailand and that's no good for us. :911:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wheeee posted:

But then what about cool V8 noises how would we get that :colbert:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Wheeee posted:

Replace scooters with screaming fast sport bikes and I'm down with this tbh.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KillHour posted:

Counterpoint: everybody hates everyone else and doesn't want to be in a metal box with them. See also: airplanes.

I hate everyone else but I hate them more when they're in cars and in my way. If I can conveniently get somewhere by transit, I will absolutely do it instead of driving there; it's cheap and I can drink while doing it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If you stop comparing it to other cars and instead compare it to humans, bicycles, motorcycles, even horses, the Honda Fit is a loving monstrosity; it can't turn around without a substantial amount of clear space around it, and it's massive enough to kill a person even moving at a walking pace. This thing was created out of over a ton of highly refined material, and its use requires that cities are planned and built specifically to enable it, with extensive infrastructure support which consumes a huge proportion of usable land. Far more often than not, this machine capable of carrying four or five adults plus cargo has a single occupant, because our society is structured around the assumption that everyone--who matters--has their own individual car. It's an absurdity.

And the Honda Fit is vastly smaller than almost everything else on the road.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
And has anyone making GBS threads on public transit ever lived in a place where it's really good? I mean, I like cars, but what I like even more is driving them because I want to on fun roads, not as a miserable chore because I have no other choice. How great would it be if we never had to compromise on a "fun car" because the practical aspect is all taken care of by affordable public transportation?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Most of my experience with mass transit was in NYC, and it's decidedly not good there. London's is... fine, I guess. Some of the old subways are way too short and suck for tall people. Singapore's is good and is probably the only place I've been that I wouldn't feel a need to own a car. Maybe Zurich, too. But if I could afford to live in Zurich, I'd own a Lambo and take it up into the mountains so probably just Singapore.

Edit: people judge cars as "practical" by how much stuff they can haul. Trying to get 2 young kids, a dog and a week's worth of groceries into and out of a subway car sounds like hell.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 20, 2020

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
All I know is that if I ever have to commute to work again, I'm sure as hell not doing it in a car. The last few years of bouncing around to different cities with actual transit systems has convinced me that even lovely public transportation beats cars for commuting.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KillHour posted:

Edit: people judge cars as "practical" by how much stuff they can haul. Trying to get 2 young kids, a dog and a week's worth of groceries into and out of a subway car sounds like hell.

That’s why people generally don’t do that. I don’t know why you’d take your dog grocery shopping in the first place, but also in places with good density and transit, you don’t haul a weeks work of groceries anyway, you grab a couple of days worth tops, or you’re buying from shops much closer to home. Or you’re getting your poo poo delivered anyway.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Somehow, I feel like getting everything delivered kind of offsets the whole saving the environment by using mass transit thing. Also, shopping for a few days at a time is a LOT more expensive and most people don't live in places where that's feasible.

Moving everyone to places where it's feasible to use mass transit would be even worse because it would require building so much infrastructure and housing that the concrete production alone would more than offset any savings.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

If I were to visit NYC again anytime soon, I'd stick solely to public transit. My first and so-far only time driving into Manhattan was a pain in the rear end and that was on a very, very early Sunday morning.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KillHour posted:

Somehow, I feel like getting everything delivered kind of offsets the whole saving the environment by using mass transit thing. Also, shopping for a few days at a time is a LOT more expensive and most people don't live in places where that's feasible.

Its the same sort of thing that electric cars do. Generating electricity the once and piping it directly to a car is a much shorter chain that get crude oil -> huge production chain -> have fuel, use more fuel to move the fuel you need to get into your car, the pumps to hold it, the electricity to power the station where the fuel is kept, etc etc.
An electric car just uses the electricity that's already been generated. You don't have to transport it by truck, or hold it in fancy tanks in specific areas.

If you have one van driving around delivering a whole bunch of people's poo poo, vs. all those people driving their own cars around in order to get there poo poo, the volume of 'vehicles driving around' is reduced so the benefit is immediate. A sort of 'cargo mass transit' if you will.

I love cars and I sure do love driving but I'm not going to hide behind some righteous cause to justify it. I like it, that's my justification. Kinda like I don't want to be taxed more, but it would kinda be better for everyone if I were 'cause poo poo isn't fair.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PT6A posted:

And has anyone making GBS threads on public transit ever lived in a place where it's really good? I mean, I like cars, but what I like even more is driving them because I want to on fun roads, not as a miserable chore because I have no other choice. How great would it be if we never had to compromise on a "fun car" because the practical aspect is all taken care of by affordable public transportation?

I live in Copenhagen and I consider the (widely-praised) public transit to be mostly just OK.

The coverage is good, lines run very frequently (bus, train and metro), but I just hate how most people are just noisy, annoying and generally in the way. I tolerate it because it is so much cheaper than owning a car, and I don't have to ever worry about parking. Most of the time I can put in my earphones and tune out.

But every once in a while, you get the world's most irritating bus driver, who only knows full gas and full brake, and tries to set a speed record through town. I've seen people take pretty nasty falls because the dipshit at the wheel doesn't understand the concept of "smooth".

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KillHour posted:

Moving everyone to places where it's feasible to use mass transit would be even worse because it would require building so much infrastructure and housing that the concrete production alone would more than offset any savings.

How exactly do you come to the conclusion that buying a few days at a time instead of one big shop costs a lot more?

If I’m planning a week of meals and I buy all the ingredients at once or spread out 3x a week the cost is the same. Hell, it’s probably even lower when you factor in the insane amount of food that is thrown away every week by the average person. Buying less more often can ensure you’re getting fresher ingredients just in time for your cooking, avoiding spoilage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

Somehow, I feel like getting everything delivered kind of offsets the whole saving the environment by using mass transit thing.

why do you think this? it's not really borne out by data.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe if you're eating something different every day? Lots of people buy in bulk and meal prep because it's way cheaper. For example, where I shop (Wegmans), I can buy a single boneless chicken breast at 3 bucks/lb or I can buy a family pack of 6 lbs for 10 bucks and freeze it. It's literally half the price. That's not even taking into account specifically bulk places like BJs or Sam's club.

I've done the door dash thing and it's convenient, but it's expensive and the people picking produce just do not care what they grab. Also, it's not a big panel van delivering groceries to everyone on the block on a set schedule like a 21st century Schwann's, it's an Uber driver picking your stuff up in a Toyota Corolla and dropping it off on demand - literally no more efficient than if I just went myself. Mass delivery could be more efficient, but not the way it's implemented now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

a lot of grocery delivery services are route based though, peapod etc

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
So what do you guys think of new cars? You like them?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I could totally live in downtown Boston and not own a car, it would be awesome.

But it's insanely expensive to live downtown and gently caress the winters there.

Wonderllama posted:

Actually no, most of them suck

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Wonderllama posted:

Yes. I asked my wife whether she thought I should get a Red, Blue, or Green Cayman GTS. She said Red.

I think I'm figuring this marriage thing out pretty well. :smug:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I saw a new Chevy blazer for the first time on the road and it looked so boring. Like a suburu

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Chevy Blazer. For the massive market of people that find the Equinox too boring but whoa, let's not go overboard.

I particularly like the 3.6L V6 engine option that has less torque and similar HP output to a Civic Type-R's 2.0L 4 banger.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

PT6A posted:

I mean, I like cars, but what I like even more is driving them because I want to on fun roads, not as a miserable chore because I have no other choice. How great would it be if we never had to compromise on a "fun car" because the practical aspect is all taken care of by affordable public transportation?

Where I lived several times previously I could cycle to work so ended up buying something interesting. Now I physically can't do that so my interesting car has been sat in the workshop for a year, I've barely cycled anywhere and I've bought a tiny little shitbox to get to work. My city has pretty decent public transport, I just live outside of the coverage area for it, there's 2 buses a week to my area.

Annoyingly this is the price I pay for a house with a 4 car workshop which just wouldn't exist in town. But now my interest in actually driving for fun has dwindled, work on the cars has all but stopped, I've gotten a little chubbier and my rock-hard cycling rear end has slowly faded. :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I could totally live in downtown Boston and not own a car, it would be awesome.

I did this but I had to own a car because I worked in Concord. It was still good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Chevy Blazer. For the massive market of people that find the Equinox too boring but whoa, let's not go overboard.

I particularly like the 3.6L V6 engine option that has less torque and similar HP output to a Civic Type-R's 2.0L 4 banger.

its probably a little silly to compare a mass market vehicle engine to a weird halo car

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its probably a little silly to compare a mass market vehicle engine to a weird halo car

Also turbo 4s and NA V6s have been pretty equivalent in power for a while now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think the newest blazers have turbo 4s now .

GMs just look and feel so bad to me tho.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

KakerMix posted:

Its the same sort of thing that electric cars do. Generating electricity the once and piping it directly to a car is a much shorter chain that get crude oil -> huge production chain -> have fuel, use more fuel to move the fuel you need to get into your car, the pumps to hold it, the electricity to power the station where the fuel is kept, etc etc.
An electric car just uses the electricity that's already been generated. You don't have to transport it by truck, or hold it in fancy tanks in specific areas.

If you have one van driving around delivering a whole bunch of people's poo poo, vs. all those people driving their own cars around in order to get there poo poo, the volume of 'vehicles driving around' is reduced so the benefit is immediate. A sort of 'cargo mass transit' if you will.

I love cars and I sure do love driving but I'm not going to hide behind some righteous cause to justify it. I like it, that's my justification. Kinda like I don't want to be taxed more, but it would kinda be better for everyone if I were 'cause poo poo isn't fair.

Except you can't store electricity so it's actually way more complicated than you think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

JK Fresco posted:

Except you can't store electricity so it's actually way more complicated than you think

you can store electricity though?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can store electricity though?

This whole battery or pumped hydro thing or molten salts I dunno these things uhhhhhh just don't seem like a way to store energy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The point is that the whole marketing impetus of the Blazer is for it to be a lifestyle vehicle alternative to the family Equinox and they didn't even bother to put an exciting engine in it.

The turbo 4 they have for it has a whopping 230hp and 258lb-ft of torque. In a 4000lb car.

The (upper) turbo 4 in the Equinox is actually more powerful at 250hp.

That's the thing, the NA V6 is their "performance" version of the vehicle.

GM has a twin turbo V6 that they put in the CT5 and CT6. The CT5's tune of 335hp and 400lb-ft of torque would have been the perfect match for this vehicle and actually made it a bit more interesting and differentiated from the Equinox.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

JK Fresco posted:

dang first I find out it is impossible to make money selling cars in Australia and now I find out that its impossible to store electricity :negative:
my world, she crumbles

or alternatively:

You: You can not store electricity
Me, holding a handful of coal: You moron, you absolute buffoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Making it cadialliac exclusive seems dumb. Is it cadialliac exclusive ?