Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
10 years down the line, GM will sell only full-size pickups in the US and only Buicks in China.

They'll be more profitable than they ever have in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
After GM sold Opel, Holden's days were numbered anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Thing is they had no excuse for being unprofitable in Oceania and could probably have done okay with a pared down range and not throwing money away on dumb poo poo.

It's dumb stuff like spending all of that development effort stuffing the HFV6 into the ZB Commodore - it wasn't a thing that anyone wanted so they sold like 12 in total. Also simultaneously importing the Astra hatch/wagon and the Cruze sedan then slapping Astra badges on both, selling the Captiva at discount prices for like 10 years after it was relevant, not having a fancy/expensive enough ute etc etc

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

dissss posted:

selling the Captiva at discount prices for like 10 years after it was relevant

This isn't necessarily a bad move. If the development costs have been fully paid off, keeping the model around, even at discount prices, is going to pull in a decent profit. That's while we'll see Dodge continue to sell Journeys until Mad Max times.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

id argue that spending decades plowing money in to unprofitable markets was the peak of stupidity

I mean they're dumb in other ways too but it's not like staying in these markets is magically going to make them smarter at the other stuff.

You mean bleeding Opel and Holden dry?

Opel made money as soon as GM sold it. After 20 years of so called losses. Think that is a coincidence?

Holden had hundreds of millions drained using dubious accounting practices like licensing its own designs from GM.

There was nothing actually unprofitable about the market they withdrew from

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You mean bleeding Opel and Holden dry?

Opel made money as soon as GM sold it. After 20 years of so called losses. Think that is a coincidence?

Holden had hundreds of millions drained using dubious accounting practices like licensing its own designs from GM.

There was nothing actually unprofitable about the market they withdrew from

Listen here buddy

It is IMPOSSIBLE to make money in Australia.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
For what it’s worth, I had a lower mid range Regal liftback as a rental and was very impressed with it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

This isn't necessarily a bad move. If the development costs have been fully paid off, keeping the model around, even at discount prices, is going to pull in a decent profit. That's while we'll see Dodge continue to sell Journeys until Mad Max times.

It contributed to the image of 'Holdens are what you buy when you can't afford anything else' and made it impossible to sell the eventual replacements.

The Acadia may (it may not, I don't know not my type of car) be a perfectly competitive vehicle but absolutely no one is going to pay the prices they're asking for them.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If America ever gets a real administration and CAFE gets fixed, GM and Ford and Chrysler are so hosed

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Wheeee posted:

If America ever gets a real administration and the chicken tax gets axed, GM and Ford and Chrysler are so hosed

Fixed because why the gently caress can't we get the cool trucks the rest of the world gets

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That's not CAFEs fault though. CAFE is why the poo poo like the Yukon Denali exists.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

stevobob posted:

Fixed because why the gently caress can't we get the cool trucks the rest of the world gets

Like what? Hilux I guess, which might sell because Toyota, Nissan Navara? Its brother, the Mercedes X-Class? Mitsubishi Triton? The Chinese trucks? Who’s going to buy any of them, especially when domestic full size trucks are a vastly better value proposition why bother? You now get the Ranger and the Colorado, how are those selling?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Like what? Hilux I guess, which might sell because Toyota, Nissan Navara? Its brother, the Mercedes X-Class? Mitsubishi Triton? The Chinese trucks? Who’s going to buy any of them, especially when domestic full size trucks are a vastly better value proposition why bother? You now get the Ranger and the Colorado, how are those selling?

If Toyota brought the 70 series pickup here with that big gently caress-off V8 diesel

They would probably sell some. Probably. Do them up G-Wagen style.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

They'd never get that engine to meet US emissions standards - it's bad enough that it's becoming an issue in Australia and they don't give a poo poo about that sort of thing.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Q_res posted:

CAFE is why the poo poo like the Yukon Denali exists.

Wait huh?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I should have phrased that as "why poo poo like the Yukon Denali is allowed to exist". Basically, the MPG requirements for Light Trucks under CAFE are so insanely lovely that they can get away with building those monstrosities. poo poo that would never fly if it had to be classified as a car.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Q_res posted:

I should have phrased that as "why poo poo like the Yukon Denali is allowed to exist". Basically, the MPG requirements for Light Trucks under CAFE are so insanely lovely that they can get away with building those monstrosities. poo poo that would never fly if it had to be classified as a car.

I think you grossly overestimate how much a majority of America gives a poo poo what mpg it has

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

In no way am I saying Americans give even half a poo poo, nor do I understand how you could possibly think that was what I was saying...

But I do think if they had to match standards even close to what cars do they wouldn't be able to sell the things. Not with all the penalties and fines, to say nothing of tacking gas guzzler taxes on the sticker.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PeterWeller posted:

I was at a Dodge dealership a couple days ago and I was surprised they had a new Journey in the showroom. I think they were advertising $8k off or something. I thought they'd killed the Journey.

It was next to a Ram crew cab that was $70,000.

This is America.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Q_res posted:

In no way am I saying Americans give even half a poo poo, nor do I understand how you could possibly think that was what I was saying...

But I do think if they had to match standards even close to what cars do they wouldn't be able to sell the things. Not with all the penalties and fines, to say nothing of tacking gas guzzler taxes on the sticker.

... yeah sassypants, that’s just it, Americans want their Canyoneros and aren’t going to force standards upon >6k GVCW stuff until electrics etc can be sufficiently good replacements for the same sized vehicles. CAFE standards aren’t magic constants of the universe, it takes politicians and appointees and technocrats to vote for them and implement them and enforce them.

Hence you being mad about this, Americans giving no shits, and pickups selling better than ever

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There will be another gas crisis eventually. I remember 2005 after Katrina when gas cost $5+ a gallon and used SUVs couldn't be given away for about a year. Don't think it can't happen again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
we should be gradually ramping up fuel taxes but obviously that will never happen

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Tremek posted:

Hence you being mad about this, Americans giving no shits, and pickups selling better than ever

I'm mad about this am I? I'm not mad about SUVs, I own one. If you think I was angry because of my previous reply, that wasn't it. Your reply just addressed something I didn't comment on one way or another. Which annoyed the hell out of me. I imagine it's the same reason why you included the unnecessary condescension about how laws work.

Literally all I said was that CAFE being insanely lax on light trucks allows that kind of stuff to exist without incurring penalties or gas guzzler tax. There's no anger there, that's just objective fact.

Someone (who wasn't me) made a comment on "fixing CAFE" but blamed CAFE for something it didn't actually cause. I merely commented on what CAFE actually caused.

As for what Americans want, I never said otherwise, but who gives a poo poo? Americans also didn't want seatbelts, unleaded gas, catalytic converters, airbags or any kind of gas mileage standards at all.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 19, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm on your side in the substance of this discussion but I sure wish I wasn't after that childish poo poo

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

You're right, that was unnecessary.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If there was a significant gas guzzling tax on trucks and SUVs it would weed out the people buying them that don't actually need them at least.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Let's really get people angry in this thread:

Let's tax displacement and horsepower :getin:

Nobody needs a 40 ft long truck, nobody needs more than, say, 150~ horsepower and around 3 liters of displacement.
Torque is not taxed.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
"Taxes are killing me!" I scream as I spend $3000 a month on my Raptor and wife's Escalade

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

With how heavy modern cars are that should probably be more like 250hp.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Nah, tax weight instead. Weight is what's destroying the infrastructure

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

But then we'd have trophy trucks running around, 700HP twin turbo V8s in ultra-lightweight fiberglass bodies and...uh...

yeah tax weight

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KakerMix posted:

Let's tax displacement and horsepower :getin:

I too wish for a kei car-filled future :allears:

redgubbinz posted:

But then we'd have trophy trucks running around, 700HP twin turbo V8s in ultra-lightweight fiberglass bodies and...uh...

yeah tax weight

We'd finally get single seater cars...

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 19, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Let people drive what they want but revamp the licensing system to require additional training for larger vehicles.

That's the thing that strikes me the most when walking around the auto show. Someone can go and pass their driver's test on a Mitsubishi Mirage and then go right out and buy a F150 XL and jump right on the road with it. We need more vehicle license classes between a standard driver's license and CDL.

It would also be impossible to implement since every state has their own driver's license standards and trying to unify them across the country would cause a major backlash.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gasoline posted:

Biased much? :v:

But yeah that sounds better actually.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Being a kid who grew up in the late 70s/80s, it bothers me that my new compact crossover weighs 4000lbs whereas my 3-year old full-size sedan weighed 3700lbs.

Back in the day, 2 tons was heavy.

On the other hand it amazes me that the turbo 4 in the crossover makes close to the same power as the V/6 in the sedan and they both get the same fuel mileage. And either engine make 2x the power and 50% better gas mileage than what we had in the 80s.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

One day mainstream cars will be made of materials other than mild steel. The moment the first mass-produced car with a carbon fibre and aluminium frame rolls off the production line it will be a glorious day (and I'll likely be long dead).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
i3 is, right? Or am I imagining that?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

ilkhan posted:

i3 is, right? Or am I imagining that?

Parts of it is, although its the short strand cheaper stuff. The rest is aluminium. I think BMW has stated that they won't be doing it again for the i3s replacement.

Edit: Found it https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/07/17/carbon-fiber-bmw-might-be-a-thing-of-the-past/

Humbug fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 19, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gasoline posted:

Good idea! Those electric cars are bunch of free riding assholes :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

One day mainstream cars will be made of materials other than mild steel. The moment the first mass-produced car with a carbon fibre and aluminium frame rolls off the production line it will be a glorious day (and I'll likely be long dead).

most mainstream cars are made of stuff other than mild steel today