Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I was told I need to get Root in my life, but I'm a big dumb-dumb and have questions about the actual process of buying new copies at this point in the game's lifecycle.

It looks like Leder is selling a fourth printing of the core game and Riverfolk next month. As I understand, that's going to have all the errata in it, and also won't have a massive markup due to rarity, so I'm going to grab both of those.

Are the other kickstarter expansions actually coming to retail at any point? And if so, which ones should I make a point of trying to track down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

al-azad posted:

Every major board game personality and retailer should be complaining very loudly about this. Whoever that guy is who loudly gives Stegmaier poo poo every time he opens his mouth should be shouting to the moon.

i'm that guy and asmodee is steaming garbage for this poo poo. I wish they had a smarmy douche with both a creepy blog and a blog full of self-fellating blame-deflection to yell at like Stegmaier cause i'd be all over that poo poo

Jabor posted:

I wonder if Asmodee is going to try and play hardball against game stores trying to recover their costs, when those costs are larger than what Asmodee profited by to begin with.

since NA does not have consumer protection laws like AUS, they most certainly will dick over retailers with this

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

PlaneGuy posted:

since NA does not have consumer protection laws like AUS, they most certainly will dick over retailers with this

This isn't games industry per say, but a friend of mine is a small business owner. His biggest supplier said "would you like to be a part of this customer experience program we're trying out? We think it will do XYZ for your bottom line, based on these very reasonable numbers" and he said "sure". He had to buy some extra product to make it work, around 3k worth - he's a small business so this was a bite of his revenue. After 3 months of setting it up and working out the details (spending some payroll to do so) they called him and said "well we've decided not to go forward with this program" and he said "but the money? And we signed a contract?" and they said "sure, yeah, we're breaking that contract. And we're your biggest supplier, so there's nothing you can do about it. You gonna sue us and get cut off, dipshit? gently caress you" and that's how business works now.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PlaneGuy posted:

They're going to deny replacement stuff to the stores, and leave the stores holding the bag. The store then has to deliver the bad news (sorry, no replacement) or eat the cost of the replacement themselves as a courtesy.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This isn't games industry per say, but a friend of mine is a small business owner. His biggest supplier said "would you like to be a part of this customer experience program we're trying out? We think it will do XYZ for your bottom line, based on these very reasonable numbers" and he said "sure". He had to buy some extra product to make it work, around 3k worth - he's a small business so this was a bite of his revenue. After 3 months of setting it up and working out the details (spending some payroll to do so) they called him and said "well we've decided not to go forward with this program" and he said "but the money? And we signed a contract?" and they said "sure, yeah, we're breaking that contract. And we're your biggest supplier, so there's nothing you can do about it. You gonna sue us and get cut off, dipshit? gently caress you" and that's how business works now.

this makes my head and heart hurt.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

grassy gnoll posted:

I was told I need to get Root in my life, but I'm a big dumb-dumb and have questions about the actual process of buying new copies at this point in the game's lifecycle.

It looks like Leder is selling a fourth printing of the core game and Riverfolk next month. As I understand, that's going to have all the errata in it, and also won't have a massive markup due to rarity, so I'm going to grab both of those.

Are the other kickstarter expansions actually coming to retail at any point? And if so, which ones should I make a point of trying to track down?

Everything they printed as part of the KS will eventually come to retail, or at least non-KS release. The Underworld expansion and the Exiles and Partisans deck are both great. The Vagabond expansion is skippable unless your group really likes the Vagabond. I really like the playmat boards, but that's up to taste.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How do you all feel about the lake map and Otters?

Also, does anyone here have strong feelings on Avalon vs Resistance?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

Both are stressful experiences that I never want to have again.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Otters my favorite faction, no strong opinion on Lake but it favors teleporting factions like Corvids, Avalon is better but I still dislike social deduction.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bottom Liner posted:

Otters are great haven't done the lake map.

Avalon is slightly better themed which improves gameplay as the names of the roles are easier to differentiate but if you have all the expansions they are functionally identical. It's not a huge deal.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Fellis posted:

more 1849

Yeah 1849 is a blast. There's only 6 companies, and they can only be started in a set order (which is random each game), so even though the map may eventually end up similar each game, what parts get developed when are VASTLY different. The decision on what track to lay (narrow vs broad) can really impact the development as well.

Only 6 companies means you're forced to invest in other players, and there's a nice game of chicken where you may end up with a company you didn't want. But it might not be that bad, just close it or keep it going? The final cert for each company being 20% is really powerful to have, but it means you can always have it dumped on you. Also there's some cheap permanents that run BETTER on narrow gauge (trains usually run worse on it) that become available near the end which really changes up the train rush from game to game.

I'm not a huge fan of the more stock-oriented games (I prefer the more engineering-based ones), but this has the fun kind of stock stuff I enjoy. Also one of the companies can start anywhere so you can do fun stuff like let the earthquake eat it once it's outlived its usefulness.

It's like 18Ireland but good :v:

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 19, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

admanb posted:

Everything they printed as part of the KS will eventually come to retail, or at least non-KS release. The Underworld expansion and the Exiles and Partisans deck are both great. The Vagabond expansion is skippable unless your group really likes the Vagabond. I really like the playmat boards, but that's up to taste.

Rad, thanks!

Schizophonic
Jun 4, 2011
Finally got another game of Neta-Tanka in last night and it was quite a close game again. People like the theming and the deluxe edition resources, it is beautifully produced, but I do wonder if its a bit of a dry numbers game where it's difficult to go too far wrong or right and is largely decided by who gets the correct link spots. Especially the one that you chose one action from the pile of 12 or however many it is; it seemed like that was the most decisive difference between scores to me. But maybe if I add that worship expansion stuff and try out the five player variant which seems

OlMaster posted:

I'm quite new to the hobby, but I'll throw in my two cents here about HP: Hogwarts Battle. It was my wife's and my introduction to deckbuilders and it was good for that, but I'm not sure how the increasing complexity of each game would fit in with a communal area? You'd need to trust that people put all the cards back in the right boxes, or set it at a single level and remove the other components. At the highest level it can be very swingy and would be too advanced for most beginners.

Unless you mean the new competitive version (Defense Against the Dark Arts), I've not played that, it might be more suitable.

Mostly I picked it for the literary hook, kids are still nutty over Harry Potter as ever, and since it may not just be sitting around in a communal area, but rather used during supervised event periods or the like. I totally agree with what you're saying about difficulty though, it's an incredibly inconsistent experience at higher levels.

If I could replace it with another 'magic school' that would probably still appeal based entirely on that, I'd just buy them a copy of Argent, but I fear that'd melt the brains of newcomers to worker placement even if I did the slow 'Summer Break' learner variant. Maybe if my budget is bigger than expected though. :getin: But yeah in terms of introductory deck builders, with the theming it seemed an easy pick.

CaptainRightful posted:

Since nobody else has mentioned it, I recommend Evolution: Climate. It scales well across a large number of players, it's light enough for anyone to pick up but still has interesting decisions, the artwork is gorgeous, it's an objectively better tableau builder than Machi Koro, and thematically it even counts as an "educational" game!

I'm certainly not wedded to Machi Koro so I will definitely look in to it, younger end of the age scale would probably like the animal theme a lot better.

Timeline/Coup/an abstract are all good shouts, gonna add them to the list.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If I wanted to get into the COIN series from GMT, what would be a good introductory game to start with. Fire in the lake looks good but is apparently very complex. Liberty or Death looks pretty good, but I am overwhelmed by how many have been made at this point.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
FiTL is going to be more interesting for longer than LoD, which is essentially a 2p game skinned as a 4p game.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Max posted:

If I wanted to get into the COIN series from GMT, what would be a good introductory game to start with. Fire in the lake looks good but is apparently very complex. Liberty or Death looks pretty good, but I am overwhelmed by how many have been made at this point.

Here's a post I saved a while ago:

https://imgur.com/PhkV6LQ

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
For a long time, Cuba Libre! was the standard answer for an introduction to COIN. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. The tightness of the map means players have no room to maneuver, and the Government needs to either start winning right away or they're guaranteed to lose. A Distant Plain (Afghanistan) might be better; the faction relations are more interesting, and everyone will have a passing familiarity with the conflict. Fire in the Lake is very similar to ADP, but with more stuff: more provinces, more LoCs, more unit types, more cards, more rules. It's generally seen as the most complicated COIN. Haven't played Liberty or Death, but from what I've heard it's kind of half-baked; the Patriots and Loyalists feel like full factions, but their allies the Indians and French kind of have nothing to do all game.

What player count are you expecting? Most of the games are 4p, but there's a 2p one that's meant to be pretty good, and a couple 3p games in the pipe. Which eras interest you/your group?

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 20, 2020

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I've actually just been reading about Colonial Twilight now that I've done a bigger deep dive. While I can sometimes get a group together of 3-4 people, it's more realistic to expect two player, so that may be more up my alley. Cool, thanks!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sinteres posted:

Speaking of villains in board gaming, Villainous is getting a standalone version for Marvel villains, which will probably sell a billion copies. Pretty smart idea. The three confirmed villains so far are Thanos, Hela and Ultron, with two more to be revealed before it comes out this summer.

Oh cool, that finally got announced?

I did a bunch of playtesting for that, so I hope it goes over pretty well.

(yes I know the other villains and no I won't tell you)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some Numbers posted:

Oh cool, that finally got announced?

I did a bunch of playtesting for that, so I hope it goes over pretty well.

(yes I know the other villains and no I won't tell you)

I know you won't confirm, but it's pretty much got to be Red Skull and Ronan the Accuser simply because they're the main (or first) villains for the characters that have had multiple movies of their own but aren't already represented.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Bellmaker posted:

It's like 18Ireland but good :v:

Ive not checked to see if the designer for 'Ireland published any design goals, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was aiming for 1849 but longer and with mergers. The rulebook talks more about history than which games inspired him.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

Thanks for the write ups guys, it sounds interesting. I've been eyeing 1817 for a while because Azad raves about it so I was curious about the rest of the line of games AAG was putting out and when you brought up '49 and said how many times you had played it you got my eyes going. A game like this you could crank out on a week night sounds pretty nice so pretty tempting...

1889, 30, CZ, 49, 17, and C2C will likely be my only 18xx for the foreseeable future.

49, 17, and 30 being my favorite of the bunch. CZ I like to keep around cuz it’s chill and like the Caverna of 18xx.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Colonial Twilight (ie the 2P one) is the only COIN I've played but I enjoyed it greatly and can't wait to play it again. Definitely felt accessible for someone not familiar with the series.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Colonial Twilight (ie the 2P one) is the only COIN I've played but I enjoyed it greatly and can't wait to play it again. Definitely felt accessible for someone not familiar with the series.

Great to hear!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sinteres posted:

Speaking of villains in board gaming, Villainous is getting a standalone version for Marvel villains, which will probably sell a billion copies. Pretty smart idea. The three confirmed villains so far are Thanos, Hela and Ultron, with two more to be revealed before it comes out this summer.

Looks like I’ll be waiting in line at the Ravensburger booth again at GenCon.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Imperial Struggle's extended example of play dropped if you want to see it in action.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jedit posted:

I know you won't confirm, but it's pretty much got to be Red Skull and Ronan the Accuser simply because they're the main (or first) villains for the characters that have had multiple movies of their own but aren't already represented.

One day they're going to announce a MODOK expansion and I'm going to poo poo my pants (and someone else's too) and then they're going to reveal some horrible modern sleek redesign and I'm gonna buy it through gritted teeth like a little bitch. I can feel it.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

PlaneGuy posted:

Pretty sure this dicks over Australian online retailers too. If the product is found to be defective, then the consumer can recover the return shipping costs, and then the retailer has to ship the replacement out. And shipping the full board game back and forth is going to be a fair bit more than a padded envelope with two cards in it.

I don't know if the retailer can pass those costs back to the distributor, but if not, that would suck. I imagine they'd need to start holding a spare copy of each game, just to cannabalise parts from for their customers, and then make a claim on that one to avoid the shipping costs. Basically doing what Asmodee should be doing themselves.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ubik_Lives posted:

Pretty sure this dicks over Australian online retailers too. If the product is found to be defective, then the consumer can recover the return shipping costs, and then the retailer has to ship the replacement out. And shipping the full board game back and forth is going to be a fair bit more than a padded envelope with two cards in it.

I don't know if the retailer can pass those costs back to the distributor, but if not, that would suck. I imagine they'd need to start holding a spare copy of each game, just to cannabalise parts from for their customers, and then make a claim on that one to avoid the shipping costs. Basically doing what Asmodee should be doing themselves.

The seller can recover all costs associated with carrying out their obligations under the law, if the issue was that the product came defective from the manufacturer.

If the customer elects to get a refund because replacements aren't available, that's the entire purchase price, original forward shipping price, and reverse shipping price, that they are legally allowed to recover from Asmodee.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Is it possible they are going to a more traditional repairs model where they will just gate the program through the seller? E.g. if you have busted parts you asked the seller and they have to get it off the distributor. Would allow the distributor to throw the spares into the next shipment and then the seller has to parcel that out to the customers.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Is it possible they are going to a more traditional repairs model where they will just gate the program through the seller? E.g. if you have busted parts you asked the seller and they have to get it off the distributor. Would allow the distributor to throw the spares into the next shipment and then the seller has to parcel that out to the customers.

This would be a good way to run it if true, but you'd think that if that were their plan they would have mentioned it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It’s private equity owned so whatever the worst possible option is for the consumer, that’s what the answer is.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Hi yes I sell Asmodee products at a retail location and hoo loving BOY

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

S.J. posted:

Hi yes I sell Asmodee products at a retail location and hoo loving BOY

Dish!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

lemme tell ya i can't wait for the next big production issue where the blame gets dumped on me because the popular game sells out very quickly

Their new policy is pretty similar to the exchange policy we already had in place re: we will straight replace defective pieces from our demo copies/shelf copies of items but being able to direct patient customers directly to the manufacturer (or customers who just really would rather not ask a retailer to deal with something that wasn't their fault) was a godsend in a lot of situations because stock levels are all over the loving place and communication is so god drat bad

cheap loving assholes god drat

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Max posted:

Honestly, you should get the one with the setting that interests you most. Mechanically, they are all extremely similar and the fine distinctions made by people here (including myself) are only relevant to people who have played COIN games dozens of times or more. FitL was my first COIN and I had no trouble diving into the alleged deep end. If you aren't a wargamer, all COIN games are going to take a long time to play, but they really aren't more difficult to learn than heavy Euros in the Lacerda vein.

That said, my personal ranking of the ones I own is: Falling Sky > Fire In The Lake > A Distant Plain > Cuba Libre > Pendragon. Pendragon is the only one of those I'd warn you against buying.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

silvergoose posted:

Potato Man on the other hand had the other half of the table laughing quite a lot. Really good 2 or 4 player trick taker.

Potato Man rules. I've been playing it and David & Goliath quite a bit lately.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

S.J. posted:

lemme tell ya i can't wait for the next big production issue where the blame gets dumped on me because the popular game sells out very quickly

Their new policy is pretty similar to the exchange policy we already had in place re: we will straight replace defective pieces from our demo copies/shelf copies of items but being able to direct patient customers directly to the manufacturer (or customers who just really would rather not ask a retailer to deal with something that wasn't their fault) was a godsend in a lot of situations because stock levels are all over the loving place and communication is so god drat bad

cheap loving assholes god drat

so like that is just store policy and asmodee isn't covering those in-store exchanges?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I"m a bit shocked at all the corporate bootlickers on BGG coming out of the woodwork trying to justify the change or explain how it's reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Crackbone posted:

I"m a bit shocked at all the corporate bootlickers on BGG coming out of the woodwork trying to justify the change or explain how it's reasonable.

The weirdest ones are "Well that's just how consumer law has always worked in places like the UK. It's just a better system" Well yeah sure if you buy a TV or something it's better than having to wait for a repairman or something, but this is objectively worse as a system.