Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

you hosed up on your very first day. never do things quicker than you're expected to

Vitally important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

homeless snail posted:

you hosed up on your very first day. never do things quicker than you're expected to

the only exception to this is an internship where you have reasonable certainty that it might turn into a permanent position.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Vitally important.

Okay why?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if they expected you to do one thing in an hour and you do it in one minute they're going to expect you to do 60 things in an hour from then on

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
you know the old saying

boss makes a dollar
i make a dime
that's why i poo poo
on company time

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
My friends are playing Apex Legends with me after nearly a full year of me telling them they'd enjoy it and they're really enjoying it post games you've had to pull teeth to get people to play

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Okay why?

Capitalism doesn't reward exceeding expectations.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
you will more or less never be rewarded for doing things quickly, except in the form of more work. once you're overburdened it will become a failure of prioritization and time management on your part, and if they ever decide they want to get rid of you they'll just suddenly decide you're performing sub par

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Had my first day of work. Did so well at vendor management I completed a 2-day task in two hours.
Also my breaks and lunch count as pay.

protip: pretend like you're working for the rest of your allotted time, or they're going to pile so much poo poo on you you won't be able to breathe

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Songbearer posted:

My friends are playing Apex Legends with me after nearly a full year of me telling them they'd enjoy it and they're really enjoying it post games you've had to pull teeth to get people to play

half my friends don't play videogames and the other half don't like the same kinds of videogames i like and i'd never spend a year whittling them down to try and get them to play something because we as a group had a friend like that with dota 2 and the solution was to stop hanging out with him

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I mean if they play DoTA2 the writing was on the wall even before that

But in my case it's more along the lines of "man I really enjoy Baldur's Gate 2 I just wish they made an expansion that rounds the story out" and then flailing around pointing at Throne of Bhaal like Scooby Doo

But instead of BG2 it's "a F2P team based shooter that isn't APB"

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Then again I have a Saints Row 2 avatar so I had to live in a time period where "God GTA4 is boring I wish there was a fun open world game like San Andreas" existed so I think I just have a bad run of trying to recommend things

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Grouchio posted:

Had my first day of work. Did so well at vendor management I completed a 2-day task in two hours.
Also my breaks and lunch count as pay.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Okay why?

you sweet sweet summer child

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
if it seems like everyone is doing a bit, they're not - workplaces will grind you into dust and fire you for being too ground up. Do what you're asked to and then go home on time

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Basically, your boss (and your boss' boss, and so on) are incentivized to extract as much labor out of you as possible. Unless you're paid on commission, you are not incentivized to maximize your labor. You are being paid a set amount for a specific amount of labor. Doing more is basically just volunteering, and telling your boss that you are a person who can be squeezed harder.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've never worked anywhere where the concept of "promotions" are a thing but that's the only situation I can think of where being exceptional might have a purpose.

And even then I'm absolutely certain it's always going to be stacked against you.

Volunteer for something you care about if you want work to be appreciated.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Regy Rusty posted:

I've never worked anywhere where the concept of "promotions" are a thing but that's the only situation I can think of where being exceptional might have a purpose.

And even then I'm absolutely certain it's always going to be stacked against you.

Volunteer for something you care about if you want work to be appreciated.

Also if you're working for an NGO or advocacy group or whatever whose mission is to make the world better, rather than having a mission of lining the owner's pockets, then "volunteering" by putting extra effort into your job is pretty similar to volunteering in your spare time, but doesn't involve two commutes

Most people don't have those jobs though

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Always remember these pithy mantras:

Always do exactly what you're paid to do

Gratitude does not put food on the table

You are interchangable

The appearance of hard work is more important than the presence of hard work

To a company or corporation you are not a person, you are an asset, an object

In the end you will die: have more memories of a fun and happy life than a grey and painful one before that happens

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

my boss is very nice + cool and genuine and treats me like a human being am I a sucker

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

don't get complacent browsing the forums in an incognito window at work because there are consequences to seeing a naked man's big gaping anus on your work computer

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Help Im Alive posted:

my boss is very nice + cool and genuine and treats me like a human being am I a sucker

No but they are and soon the Corporate Reaping Machine will take them or they'll move on and MegaHitler will be your next boss

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

protip: pretend like you're working for the rest of your allotted time, or they're going to pile so much poo poo on you you won't be able to breathe
So gague it if I feel it's too much and meter appropriately, while hinting at my true potential?

What kind of work experience have you all had?

May 8, 2006

i've worked retail, call center, military, governemnt (fieldwork,) coporate, education, and nonprofit

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

i've worked retail, call center, military, governemnt (fieldwork,) coporate, education, and nonprofit

Not spellchecking apparently!!!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Grouchio had a good day and already distinguished themselves as being competent at required tasks. I can’t remember if this is the internship that was posted about a few days ago, but if you know your contact is only a few weeks and you’re just entering the workforce, impressing your bosses is a good way to improve your shot at future employment. I agree that you shouldn’t put the company before your personal life, but some jobs are fulfilling and can help support a better quality of life. If you want to do the bare minimum and punch the clock for 30 years, that’s fine. If you want to distinguish yourself and try for a better job down the road, that’s good also.

I fear this might be pounced on as me being some corporate bootlicker, but that’s not it. I just think you should take pride in your work and also be aware of when your employer starts to take advantage of you. Hopefully you work for a company who does work you find morally sound and treats you like a person. Idk, there was just a lot of vitriol towards Grouchio having a good day at work.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My motivation for doing most things in my job is "drat, if I'm not gonna do this, it doesn't look like anyone else will and I don't wanna be the one yelled at if it's not done"

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Hold on I’m almost done with my kotaku post about “What MMO Role Are You At Work?” where you can read my keen insights into whether you’re a DPS (heavy, monitored workload) or tank (responsible for success/failure independent of the contributions of others)

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 20, 2020

May 8, 2006

i mean you can take pride in your work and do well at it but at the same time not open yourself up to be exploited. I'm not saying do a bad job, I'm saying they get what they pay for.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Grouchio posted:

So gague it if I feel it's too much and meter appropriately, while hinting at my true potential?

i've done food service, tutored middle schoolers in math, retail, was an extra in a movie once, administrative work for a nonprofit, and now i audit governments.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
idk it's a well-known phenomenon that when you perform exceptionally, "exceptional" becomes the new baseline for your future work. If the 8-fold speedup of doing a 2-day task in 2 hours is sustainable without driving yourself mad, then go for it being your baseline I guess. I just assumed that it wouldn't be because 8-fold performance increases rarely are

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Anyway this is what I came to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rylS-X0s-KM

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

My motivation for doing most things in my job is "drat, if I'm not gonna do this, it doesn't look like anyone else will and I don't wanna be the one yelled at if it's not done"

I'm getting that currently

I loving hate my job

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pouring over my contract before i sign it to work out exactly what am i legally required to do so they cant fire me, but unironically

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Remember to take your vacation days. No one is impressed if you don’t use them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hatty posted:

Remember to take your vacation days. No one is impressed if you don’t use them

this part varies from workplace to workplace. It's true nobody is impressed if you don't take them, but some workplace cultures are toxic enough to punishing using them

if possible, you should leave those places

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Songbearer posted:

It took 6 years of gently suggesting Picross to a friend and them flat out refusing and calling it dumb for them to play it once and become absolutely hooked and now buying all of them and playing multiple picross games on their phone.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I just started my new job last week and there's about two more weeks worth of onboarding and I'm taking my sweet rear end time reading SOPs and covertly browsing the forums on my phone.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I hope that this internship will get my foot in the door for six-figure employment in tech/economics fairly soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Grouchio posted:

My last job I quit was because I did too much the first month, picking up the slack off my co-workers and more, so they literally built a schedule around those efforts and crushed my soul. My current job is pretty much that as long as you look like you are working toward your goal and things arrive on time, they don't give a poo poo what you do.

I've done everything from drive thru, forklifting freight, head of the warranty department for Motorola during the razr days, to professional chef (not cook), and pretty much what folks are saying is right. It's not that you shouldn't work hard, it's more the first couple days you should work to achieve efficiency within whatever system that is. That means lots of questions about process and taking extra time to double check. Reading your post that started all this, I thought I read it wrong when you said 2 day task in 2 hours. Honestly if I finished something that was supposed to take that long that quick, I'd think I hosed up somewhere.

But it really depends on what your position is employment wise, I read mention of internship? If it's got a chance for advancement, the best way to get attention isn't just to work hard, it's to think about and apply different strategies to problems your job might have that your coworkers haven't thought of. 'Show' you care about the company more than just a job, which they'll see as pride in your work. Then work to become indispensable because you bring something others can't\don't.

Edit: is your current internship connected to your future aka can they give you a real foot in or is this just for general field experience?

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 20, 2020