Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I've never watched an entire debate and felt like I needed a cigarette afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'd do the standard $27, rationally I know it being debate night doesn't actually matter, I'll be able to donate again before the end of February

It is done, friend

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Cabbit posted:

Lawrence O'Donnell thinks Mike Bloomberg had some strong moments.

loving laff-o.

As bad as CNN is, MSNBC is worse until only drunk Nicole Wallace and one other co-host is left. That’s when MSNBC becomes amazing.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Having worked with RAICES too, they really should be protesting en masse outside, too.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i don't think Warren is going to get enough of a boost to do well in Nevada. Her base remains overwhelmingly white and middle class. I don't see tonight fundamentally changing that.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
$50 to Bernie tonight.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cabbit posted:

Lawrence O'Donnell thinks Mike Bloomberg had some strong moments.

loving laff-o.

Well, there were a few occasions when he didn't step on a rake. Bloomie's moments to shine!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

So for the people that watched the debate I think:

Warren pulls from undecideds and moderates, with a small amount from Bernie.

Bernie cruises along mostly unaffected.

Klob supporters won't wanna go to Buttigeg, and vice versa

Biden is going to sink lower, from not being noticed and from a sneaky last second attack making him lose "respectability" voters

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

MSNBC just accused Bernie of taking a "position of convenience" because in 2016 he didn't think the person who had the most delegates should be president, but now he says they should. Time to log off!

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
i want a shot of the audience who loving gleefully clapped and cheered when bloomberg said people should have no control over their lives at work

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think Klob supporters find safe haven with Warren?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
You can't take from Bernie's stash exclusively with Warren's performance. The thing at play is the amorphous 10-15% that Buttergreg has mostly claimed so far. You'll still end up with Bernie at 1 and then some ordering of Butt, Klob, Warren. Then lonely Joe at 5th.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

metasynthetic posted:

It is done, friend

I forget why, but keep your tips

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Man, I was gonna go canvass for Bernie in Nevada this weekend but I totally botched the scheduling and read poo poo wrong and I can't go and now I feel totally useless.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It would be amazing for the progressive movement if Bernie and Warren are the last two standing in the primaries, tbh

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

We got a new name for Buttigeg out of this all: "Power Point Pete"

It even has alliteration LMAO

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I've never watched an entire debate and felt like I needed a cigarette afterwards.

Good news, Klobs will put one out on your chest.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

gandlethorpe posted:

Because the tips go to the DNC, more or less.

JT Jag posted:

It would be amazing for the progressive movement if Bernie and Warren are the last two standing in the primaries, tbh

I can live with that.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

JT Jag posted:

I would be broadly ok with this. I think if the Liz from tonight comes out to stay she could probably come out on top vs Trump.

I want Bernie to get it though.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

mutata posted:

Man, I was gonna go canvass for Bernie in Nevada this weekend but I totally botched the scheduling and read poo poo wrong and I can't go and now I feel totally useless.

you can still sign up to make phone calls for him

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

mutata posted:

So based on the usual tendencies, Warren did good so they'll declare her the frontrunner suddenly and Bernie did good so they'll not mention his name. Got it.

I dunno if I would say Bernie did good, he got a couple chances to stump and had some good moments, but the first hour was not a good look and I think a couple of the back and forths didn't come across so positively. Warren was fun to watch and I think scored a lot of points. Bloom cratered, amy looked real bad several times. Biden was kinda just there, was real weird when he went off on bernie in his closing speech though and I imagine that's not really a good look for him. Pete I don't think had any good answers to anything but he had a composure and a manner of speaking that made him seem like generic politician you might see played by an actor in a movie, so someone casually watching probably thought he did good.

If I had to personally rank performance I'd say it was

Good: Warren
Okay: Bernie (issues)/Pete (Decorum)
Bad: Amy
Died on national television: Bloom

I didn't list Biden cause it felt like he might as well not have existed.

If there's a followup I'd really like to see it was on that last question before closing speeches. It feels like kind of a big deal that 5 of the candidates basically all said they'd be willing to override popular vote, not only is that a bad look democratically speaking, but it also means they all pretty much think they're gonna lose in voted delegates. It's a short question that might slip by a lot of people unless it gets really signal boosted, but it was an active admission from each of them that they a: are losing b: want to ratfuck the winner.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

gandlethorpe posted:

they already skim

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
Eh, Liz let the mask fall and became incredibly nasty at her lowest point. I can't trust her, but I'll deffo cheer while she shanks a billionaire on national television.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BillyC posted:

Eh, Liz let the mask fall and became incredibly nasty at her lowest point. I can't trust her, but I'll deffo cheer while she shanks a billionaire on national television.

:hmmyes:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I want to see this Warren debate Mike Pence

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

MSNBC just accused Bernie of taking a "position of convenience" because in 2016 he didn't think the person who had the most delegates should be president, but now he says they should. Time to log off!

For those who don't know: His position hasn't changed, just now we're not pre-counting super-delegates.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who somehow believes this was the ‘real’ Liz Warren and not just more of her hopeless opportunism is more credulous than your average Bloom voter

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Office Pig posted:

Anyone who somehow believes this was the ‘real’ Liz Warren and not just more of her hopeless opportunism is more credulous than your average Bloom voter

Let them fight.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Office Pig posted:

Both are true.
I certainly believe bitchy contrarian Liz was more honest than Aw Shucks let's Unite Liz.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

The Glumslinger posted:

I want to see this Warren debate Mike Pence

We can't lose both Bernie and Liz from the Senate, it's really important that one of them holds their seat, especially Liz.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God drat

https://twitter.com/GeoffMiami/status/1230346546362884098?s=19

We got him

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Amy still going after Pete on this post-debate interview

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

he's gonna put you in the gulag Chris

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mauser posted:

I had to look up South Bend and it's a town of 100k people. Why doesn't he run for governor or something?

He ran for state treasurer before running for mayor and got 37.5% of the vote. Pete would get nuked if he ran for governor.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Herewaard posted:

Amy still going after Pete on this post-debate interview

eat the rodent amy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I would say that Pete is the most obviously completely unelectable person there, honestly even worse than Bloomberg. It is loving shocking that he has not been talked into withdrawing from the race for the sake of his party and because he just wouldn't be able to do it well.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Surprised Chris Matthews didn't need to breathe into a paper bag while saying this

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pete is the only one I think still could not win even if the economy cratered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

kidkissinger posted:

they already skim

Oh, good to know. I already don't always tip depending on how mad I am at the DNC on any given day but I was pleased with everyone gutting Bloomer tonight.