Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I am not sure whether the delegate question was meant as a softball for Bernie or as a grenade for the Democratic party. In this primary it's easy to envision a scenario where Bernie gets a plurality of delegates but not actually enough to win the nomination straight up. It made logical and ethical sense for the other candidates to say that they wouldn't automatically support Bernie in that scenario, especially since his voter % would very probably be significantly less than his delegate %. It was, frankly, smarmy of Bernie to not cut that line of questioning off at the knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bending the knee just in time for Bernie to wheel out the guillotines.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/PhilipWegmann/status/1230348153934708737

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

LOL. I'm not owned etc etc.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

mike passes a paper around, urging the other candidates to sign a No Debates Agreement

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I am not sure whether the delegate question was meant as a softball for Bernie or as a grenade for the Democratic party. In this primary it's easy to envision a scenario where Bernie gets a plurality of delegates but not actually enough to win the nomination straight up. It made logical and ethical sense for the other candidates to say that they wouldn't automatically support Bernie in that scenario, especially since his voter % would very probably be significantly less than his delegate %. It was, frankly, smarmy of Bernie to not cut that line of questioning off at the knees.

How do you figure it makes ethical sense?

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

How many debates are there between now and Super Tuesday? Seems like time is running out and face planting in Nevada will only make it worse.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://twitter.com/ErikaAndiola/status/1230349254457094144?s=20

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Zophar posted:

How many debates are there between now and Super Tuesday? Seems like time is running out and face planting in Nevada will only make it worse.

Just one I think

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Chris Matthews has already accepted his fate, lol

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Crumbskull posted:

In the New Hampshire primary, Bernie got 25% of the vote but 38% of the delegates. This is normal owing to the nature of the delegate assignment rules. It's easy to see a scenario for the entire primary where Bernie gets a plurality of like 30% of the vote and 45% of the delegates. It is not violating the will of the people in any way for the other candidates to say they don't support an automatic Bernie victory in that scenario.

e: note that Sanders actually fares pretty well in head to head votes against other Democrats (only Warren comes close), so he can probably summit the requirement in that scenario. But it just doesn't make sense for people to be obliged to support him if he only has a plurality.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 20, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

In the New Hampshire primary, Bernie got 25% of the vote but 38% of the delegates. This is normal owing to the nature of the delegate assignment rules. It's easy to see a scenario where Bernie gets a plurality of like 30% of the vote and 45% of the delegates. It is not violating the will of the people in any way for the other candidates to say they don't support an automatic Bernie victory in that scenario.

Whoever gets the most votes should win

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

In the New Hampshire primary, Bernie got 25% of the vote but 38% of the delegates. This is normal owing to the nature of the delegate assignment rules. It's easy to see a scenario where Bernie gets a plurality of like 30% of the vote and 45% of the delegates. It is not violating the will of the people in any way for the other candidates to say they don't support an automatic Bernie victory in that scenario.

Bernie will still have won more votes in that scenario...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Hillary should have won! She got the most votes! The electoral college needs to be done away with!

We have to follow the process! It works the way it works!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Oh please. I'm sure you guys are smarter than that. The primary is not done via ranked choice, delegates are the means to control vote splitting.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

idk if we should read too much into those answers yet. the question was basically "will you support bernie" and nobody wants to say yes to that at this stage

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Oh please. I'm sure you guys are smarter than that. The primary is not done via ranked choice, delegates are the means to control vote splitting.

Are you making an argument for process or for supporting the will of the voters?

Because you seem to be making the mistake of assuming that Bernie is actually facing off against a moderate Voltron and not a collection of different candidates. Polling on preference has made it abundantly clear that this isn't a Sanders vs. Everyone race, so it's not obvious that vote splitting is the issue that you're making it out to be. Like you said, he performs pretty well in head-to-heads.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

In the New Hampshire primary, Bernie got 25% of the vote but 38% of the delegates. This is normal owing to the nature of the delegate assignment rules. It's easy to see a scenario for the entire primary where Bernie gets a plurality of like 30% of the vote and 45% of the delegates. It is not violating the will of the people in any way for the other candidates to say they don't support an automatic Bernie victory in that scenario.

Yes it is

If they choose someone else, how do they know that's the will of the people. Does Warren go back and ask everyone who voted for her if they're fine with her giving her delegates to Pete or whoever.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/19/politics/who-won-democratic-debate/index.html

LOSERS
* Michael Bloomberg: The first hour of the debate was an absolute and total disaster for the former mayor. He looked lost at times -- and those were the best times for him! Warren dunked on him repeatedly. Sanders slammed him. Biden bashed him. It was like watching a pro wrestling match where everyone decided to gang up on a single wrestler in the ring -- and that wrestler was totally and completely caught off-guard. Bloomberg is still very, very rich -- and will continue to spend his money on the race. So he's not going away. But it's hard to see how the momentum Bloomberg had built through his heavy ad spending wasn't slowed considerably by a performance that slid waaaaay under what was a very low bar of expectations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Yeah, but whoever gets the most votes should win

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

Yes it is

If they choose someone else, how do they know that's the will of the people. Does Warren go back and ask everyone who voted for her if they're fine with her giving her delegates to Pete or whoever.

It's an assumption made with the full knowledge its imperfect. We could build a more responsive system today, but these systems were the best available when devised. And TL;DR inertia.

Paradoxish posted:

Are you making an argument for process or for supporting the will of the voters?

Because you seem to be making the mistake of assuming that Bernie is actually facing off against a moderate Voltron and not a collection of different candidates. Polling on preference has made it abundantly clear that this isn't a Sanders vs. Everyone race, so it's not obvious that vote splitting is the issue that you're making it out to be. Like you said, he performs pretty well in head-to-heads.

I'm making no such assumption at all. If Bernie has such support, he should come through the convention just fine. Bernie is not *owed* the nomination in the scenario of getting a questionable plurality. Not by the rules of the contest and not by any rule of ethics. But that's what you guys are saying.

In this hypothetical, Bernie would be the major beneficiary of anti-democratic flaws in the First Past The Post voting systems. Anyone who cares enough to post in this thread has probably bitched about FPTP and the electoral college being counter-democratic bullshit. Well, it's time to put up or shut up in that regard. Do you love FPTP as long as it benefits your guy?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's an assumption made with the full knowledge its imperfect. We could build a more responsive system today, but these systems were the best available when devised. And TL;DR inertia.

I'm making no such assumption at all. If Bernie has such support, he should come through the convention just fine. Bernie is not *owed* the nomination in the scenario of getting a questionable plurality. Not by the rules of the contest and not by any rule of ethics. But that's what you guys are saying.

In this hypothetical, Bernie would be the major beneficiary of anti-democratic flaws in the First Past The Post voting systems. Anyone who cares enough to post in this thread has probably bitched about FPTP and the electoral college being counter-democratic bullshit. Well, it's time to put up or shut up in that regard. Do you love FPTP as long as it benefits your guy?

Actually, the voters are owed their candidate, in the form of whoever most of them choose winning

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I'm making no such assumption at all. If Bernie has such support, he should come through the convention just fine. Bernie is not *owed* the nomination in the scenario of getting a questionable plurality.

In this hypothetical, Bernie would be the major beneficiary of anti-democratic flaws in the first past the vote voting systems. Anyone who cares enough to post in this thread has probably bitched about FPTP and the electoral college being counter-democratic bullshit. Well, it's time to put up or shut up in that regard. Do you love FPTP as long as it benefits your guy?

Given that the choice you're presenting is two imperfectly democratic systems, (not to mention the presence of un-elected unaccountable super-delegates): yeah, it seems better to me to nominate the person with the most votes.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I'm making no such assumption at all. If Bernie has such support, he should come through the convention just fine. Bernie is not *owed* the nomination in the scenario of getting a questionable plurality.

In this hypothetical, Bernie would be the major beneficiary of anti-democratic flaws in the first past the vote voting systems. Anyone who cares enough to post in this thread has probably bitched about FPTP and the electoral college being counter-democratic bullshit. Well, it's time to put up or shut up in that regard. Do you love FPTP as long as it benefits your guy?

It should be ranked choice voting all the way through, but you're clearly being disingenuous in attacking Bernie's almost guaranteed plurality as "anti-democratic." What's anti-democratic is that the nomination will then be decided by the party machine. It's not controversial to say that if Bernie got the most delegates, he ought to be the nominee. It's the same as saying that if Clinton won the popular vote, she should be President, and the electoral college is anti-democratic. (These are aligned positions! You're being even more disingenuous by pretending they're opposed!) And if Bernie got the most votes in Iowa (in the 1st AND 2nd alignment!) he should have gotten the most delegates. But only one of those things gets said by people like you, because you only love democracy when it benefits your guy.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Lol.

I wonder what other principles you guys are willing to throw away if the will of the majority is on the chopping block already.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It should be ranked choice voting all the way through, but you're clearly being disingenuous in attacking Bernie's almost guaranteed plurality as "anti-democratic." What's anti-democratic is that the nomination will then be decided by the party machine. It's not controversial to say that if Bernie got the most delegates, he ought to be the nominee. It's the same as saying that if Clinton won the popular vote, she should be President, and the electoral college is anti-democratic. (These are aligned positions! You're being even more disingenuous by pretending they're opposed!) And if Bernie got the most votes in Iowa (in the 1st AND 2nd alignment!) he should have gotten the most delegates. But only one of those things gets said by people like you, because you only love democracy when it benefits your guy.

I am not sure you actually understand the argument. Most is not MAJORITY. Literally, in this hypothetical Bernie would have 30% of the voters and less than 50% of the delegates. He would not be the winner by any rule of the contest, nor any democratic principle.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 20, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Lol.

I wonder what other principles you guys are willing to throw away if the will of the majority is on the chopping block already.

I'm a big supporter of the will of the majority, which is why I think whoever gets the most votes should win

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

It's actually a really good point, voters pick up on cues like this. None of them were smart enough to project confidence that they themselves expect to knock off these other centrist twerps and wrestle Bernie for the crown and maybe come out on top with a plurality.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Lemming posted:

I'm a big supporter of the will of the majority, which is why I think whoever gets the most votes should win

You literally are not. You do understand that most is not synonymous with majority, right?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You literally are not. You do understand that most is not synonymous with majority, right?

most
/mōst/
Learn to pronounce
determiner · pronoun
greatest in amount or degree.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Yes, but if more people vote for one person than any other, that person should win

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I hope Pete enjoyed the sloppy blowjob Chris Mathews gave him.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Lol.

To your mind, allowing the candidates to apportion delegates as they see fit and also allowing a bunch more delegates who don't represent any electorate at all decide to nominate someone who did not get the most votes and delegates is a more democratic system than giving the nomination to the person with the most votes?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

OK well then the person who gets the most votes should win, anything else is more imperfect given the system as it was devised because the only knowledge we have is "who got the most votes"

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I'm making no such assumption at all. If Bernie has such support, he should come through the convention just fine.
Have you heard of Superdelegates? Their whole role is to give the nomination to the candidate with less support if the party bigwigs decide the voters hosed up.

And even if they voluntarily stayed out of it, candidates can give their delegates to anyone they want, they don't have to give it to the candidate with the most support! If people vote for Warren because she promised Medicare For All, then she cuts a deal with Biden to make him president, she's going against the will of her voters.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Bernie is not *owed* the nomination in the scenario of getting a questionable plurality. Not by the rules of the contest and not by any rule of ethics. But that's what you guys are saying.
Yes he is, by any democratic ethics the person with the most votes is owed the nomination.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I don't love FPTP, but if you're going to scrap it, it should be for a more representative system like ranked choice. Not a less representative system like "in case of a plurality the party elites get to decide, and voters get to suck it"

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
Personally I think its obvious that FPTP is a bad and undemocratic system. It is not at all obvious to me that a brokered convention is a more democratic system, particularly given recent history.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

"The system is flawed - would you prefer those flaws to benefit your guy or the other guy?" is a hell of a weird question.

Delegate trading doesn't actually solve any problem here and it doesn't offer a more democratic solution. Once they're free, they no longer represent the will of the voters in any meaningful way.

Is ranked choice on the table? A run-off primary? No? Then I'm going to say that the candidate with the most votes should take it, because that's still better than a brokered convention.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

metasynthetic posted:

Oh, good to know. I already don't always tip depending on how mad I am at the DNC on any given day but I was pleased with everyone gutting Bloomer tonight.
Wait - does that money go to the loving DNC?

I want my tips back, in that case.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Btw, half of the top YouTube clips about the debate right now are Bloomberg media corporation clips, heavily edited to make Mike look less bad.

Can one pay to push specific clips to the top of YouTube search?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Crumbskull posted:

Because Bernie might win!

Any course of action that might result in a win, and for that matter any exercise of power over and above just turning the "democracy" crank to see what comes out, is unethical behavior to a liberal.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

kidkissinger posted:

they already skim

Is this just the processing fee or are you referring to something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Lol.

In the case that the top candidate only has a plurality of the delegates, by what process do you think a candidate should be chosen? Again, and unfortunately, Democratic primaries don't do ranked choice. They should - but they don't.

It's pretty clear that the candidate with the plurality of the delegates has the strongest claim to the nomination, isn't it? Who else would?