Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm teaching my buddy the game with a coop campaign; I'm playing Dorfs and I'm very much looking forward to thunderers.

Also, my friend is playing Empire, who I'd only played in the first game and drat had the Empire mechanics improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Reloaded my sfo dwarf campaign, disbanded a couple of units and attacked the vampire horde. mother fucker irondrakes delete vamps. still -5000 per turn but every battle netted me 4k so i should be able to recapture gunbad and set my economy back on course. loving bloodsuckers!!!!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
My big brain growth technique is to have my first two stacks push with t1-t3 + starter elites until they run out of steam or have occasion to double back to hometown. Pushing low tier units and tactics as hard as possible is pretty fun.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I wish there was some way to upgrade units instead of disbanding and re-recruiting them. It's especially annoying when it's something like going from "spearmen" to "spearmen with shields".

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The fast projectile speed and flat trajectory of thunderers is what makes them so good. A bullet that misses its intended target has a good chance to hit something behind it, and the fast speed is useful against flyers and other fast moving units traveling laterally.

Technically, quarrelers/rangers will have better dps vs rather with less than 30 armor, but when you factor how often each projectile is actually hitting the target, thunderers come out on top. The hardest part is giving them a clear shot, but chevron formations and firing into enemy flanks helps a lot.

In Luckys Overhaul, where battles are slower due to everything having 5x more HP, Thunderers are useful damage dealers particularly vs enemy lords and heroes.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Gort posted:

I wish there was some way to upgrade units instead of disbanding and re-recruiting them. It's especially annoying when it's something like going from "spearmen" to "spearmen with shields".

i swear this was a thing in other Total War titles

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Gort posted:

Heroes of might and magic had this in most of their games where you only had to pay the difference to upgrade them, as well as random events that did it for free. This game should have it too .

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

playing orion, things are going slow because i didnt figure out the raze/colonize thing until it was too late, now i have tons of military allies (good) but they're pretty much all around me (not so good). my plan is to wait until i've confederated all of the wood elves in the old world, including the new ones near middenland, then just nuke ulthuan.

some fun things:
- got ambushed by ikit and another skaven stack, fought off the ambushers the retreated into some forests and got everyone hidden. the reinforcement stack lost sight of me and then just made a giant pile of themselves in the middle of a river near some trees. orion and two spellsingers just nuked them from the forest and they didn't do anything to retaliate.
- the dwarves and clan mors are military allies because they both hate orcs. i think this made khemri like mors too. weird game.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

kidkissinger posted:

You could retrain/upgrade troops back in Rome 1

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Put them in a new army and roam around sacking lovely settlements until they die.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Merge damaged units

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

started a VC campaign last night. wonderful roster and great systems, but why the hell can i not raise dead or replenish while at sea? Isn't that the whole point of how necromancy works with the VC factions? Also since i am running away from bigger armies between the sea and land i noticed that my armies are getting stuck after establishing pirate coves until i raze the town or attack it again.

kidkissinger posted:

Medieval 2 had the best system where upgrading units from blacksmiths or weapon smiths improved stats that were visible on the unit models (going from rags-leather armor- chain mail).

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 20, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
What is SFO?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1149625355

an overhaul mod. Lots of fun. Closer to the tabletop lore and universe.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

ughhhh posted:

started a VC campaign last night. wonderful roster and great systems, but why the hell can i not raise dead or replenish while at sea? Isn't that the whole point of how necromancy works with the VC factions? Also since i am running away from bigger armies between the sea and land i noticed that my armies are getting stuck after establishing pirate coves until i raze the town or attack it again.

Medieval 2 had the best system where upgrading units from blacksmiths or weapon smiths improved stats that were visible on the unit models (going from rags-leather armor- chain mail).

There's a bug with raise dead introduced by the last patch that should be fixed again soon.

And yeah don't end turn near a hostile city, or when the garrison regens the next turn you'll be stuck within it's area of influence.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Scott Forstall posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1149625355

an overhaul mod. Lots of fun. Closer to the tabletop lore and universe.

adds some nice flavor units and slightly changes mechanics. magic is damaging, plentiful, but has longer cooldowns. if you have more than 1,000 hours into vanilla, i really recommend checking it out. nice change of pace.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Enigma posted:

ughhhh posted:

And yeah don't end turn near a hostile city, or when the garrison regens the next turn you'll be stuck within it's area of influence.
You can just initiate a siege then lift it; the game will auto-walk you away from the town just like if you would lift a siege in normal circumstances.

But if you can handle the should-now-be-weakened-garrison there is no reason not to sack the city again.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 20, 2020

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Doing a Markus campaign right now and Mazdamundi started a ritual a couple dozen turns ago, spawning a chaos army in my territory. But instead of going for the ritual (which is now over), they've just stuck around in my province raiding this entire time and I can't attack them. Guess I'll just have to deal with the reduced income, chaos corruption, and public order penalties for all eternity. That's some real bullshit.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ammanas posted:

adds some nice flavor units and slightly changes mechanics. magic is damaging, plentiful, but has longer cooldowns. if you have more than 1,000 hours into vanilla, i really recommend checking it out. nice change of pace.

Well, I've only got 30 hours in the game at this point, but I'll be sure to check it out at some point.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 20, 2020

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

Well, I've only got 30 hours in the game at this point, but I'll be sure to check it out at some point.

oooooh we have such sights to show you

maybe get out now before it consumes you

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ammanas posted:

oooooh we have such sights to show you

maybe get out now before it consumes you

At the moment, I'm still playing the High Elves campaign on Easy. I'm in the midst of doing the third ritual, and the game starts throwing a lot of enemy armies at you at this point. I dunno if three armies is enough to contend with all of them, but I worry about having too many armies at once.

I was thinking that if/when I finish the HE campaign, I'd try doing a Mortal Empires campaign as the Dwarfs. I don't know if I'm brave enough to try it on a higher difficulty than Easy, though.

If anything, I might just get burned out at some point. Biggest issue with the game so far is that it feels like it takes umpteen turns just to try and move from one end of Ulthuan to the other. Enemy armies seem to have a habit of fleeing out of engagement range before you can reach them, and I sometimes just stick my armies in cities for a few turns to get the corruption level down so that public order doesn't go to hell.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 20, 2020

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

I dunno if three armies is enough to contend with all of them, but I worry about having too many armies at once.

If your income is positive you don't have too many goons. It can be more positive, sure, but you can go take stuff and build that green back up. The real warning is when you actually start taking bankruptcy attrition.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How do you kill fleeing enemies? My dudes just seem to follow them but don't want to attack?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

appropriatemetaphor posted:

How do you kill fleeing enemies? My dudes just seem to follow them but don't want to attack?

You'll have to wait for Warhammer 3 or play 3K.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Cavalry or ranged, mostly. Same speed infantry will struggle to catch up and swing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Which faction? Light cavalry historically exists almost entirely as a way of murdering hundreds of fleeing people when only a few actually die in the fight.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Light cav as mentioned, or the simplest way is once you break an army once, if you can attack it again on the same turn it will count as having retreated and as long as you win again it'll just be destroyed even if everyone is alive and just ran away. (The theoretical mega terror bomb)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What's the deal with the wood elves and ulthuan

Is there one?

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

tithin posted:

What's the deal with the wood elves and ulthuan

Is there one?

between each other? the high elves are being pricks and consider the murder hippies a wayward part of the elf empire rather than their own faction.

malekith actually considers them their own group and has much better relations as a result

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
just more proof malekith is the true king

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The wood elves were colonists. The dwarfs drove most of the elf colonists out of Europe but the ones in the magic forest had long since struck up a defense pact with the trees that allowed them to stay where they were. Over time this made them more into fey elves rather than high fantasy elves.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The wood elves were colonists. The dwarfs drove most of the elf colonists out of Europe but the ones in the magic forest had long since struck up a defense pact with the trees that allowed them to stay where they were. Over time this made them more into fey elves rather than high fantasy elves.
Is that how it worked? I thought the Elves were from Athel Loren and the High Elves moved out after some war or something. But everything I know about the lore came from this thread and I easily could have mis-understood something.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I bought the game post-ME patch and have never played a Vortex campaign. So, I thought I'd try it because I heard it was shorter and the narrative additions seemed fun.

I'm never making that mistake again. Holy poo poo this sucks. I'd stop playing but I've already spent 200 turns on this and I'm almost free. :negative:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
What’s your beef with vortex? I’ve never play that campaign either so I’m curious.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I like Vortex better if I'm going to be playing a WH2 faction. Map is better, more focused and slightly different than ME. Still have to deal with the high elves turning into a juggernaut though. The different ritual invasions can be annoying but they're pretty trivial to deal with.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Marin Karin posted:

I bought the game post-ME patch and have never played a Vortex campaign. So, I thought I'd try it because I heard it was shorter and the narrative additions seemed fun.

I'm never making that mistake again. Holy poo poo this sucks. I'd stop playing but I've already spent 200 turns on this and I'm almost free. :negative:
How're you spending 200 turns on a Vortex campaign? They're much quicker than ME campaigns for me. If I'm playing a Wh2 faction its almost always a Vortex campaign because I like the map better. Some of that might be residual from when turn times were also vastly different, but still.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is that how it worked? I thought the Elves were from Athel Loren and the High Elves moved out after some war or something. But everything I know about the lore came from this thread and I easily could have mis-understood something.
Pretty sure the elves came from Ulthuan originally but settled basically everywhere the Dwarfs didn't, and there was a lot of trade between the two. Then the Elves had their schism and the Dark Elves started murdering some Dwarfs, who were understandably upset. The High Elves meanwhile were too proud to admit that they a) were basically indistinguishable from the Dark Elves anyway and b) weren't so enlightened that such base things as civil war were possible for the glorious Asur, so High Elves shaved the beards off the delegation of Dwarfs who came to protest Dwarfs being killed by Dark Elves. The Dwarfs, uh, were Dwarfs, and so kicked off a war that resulted in both races being pretty badly hosed. The High Elves lost basically all of their colonies, and eventually abandoned the rest when the Dark Elves invaded Ulthuan proper. The Wood Elves are basically a remnant of a colony that decided to stay in a weird magic murder forest instead of going back to Ulthuan, for whatever reason. After the Dwarfs kicked in the Elves' poo poo and took their king's crown, thus fulfilling their grudge, the Lizardmen, unknown to everyone, decided that plate tectonics weren't part of the Great Plan and so kind of just moved the mountains back to where the maps said they should be, causing a bunch of earthquakes and volcanoes. Between their losses against the Elves and the tons of earthquakes, the Dwarfs were unable to hold all of their Holds and start losing them one by one to the Skaven and Greenskins.

IIRC, the humans are basically wandering tribesfolk at this point, and may actually kick off some small amount of civilization because they're able to settle in the abandoned elven colonies.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Beans posted:

What’s your beef with vortex? I’ve never play that campaign either so I’m curious.
The actual "ritual race" is fake, and the ritual armies, rather than creating epic defences of key cities, just show up wherever and raze a couple minor towns while you shuffle your armies over to lightning strike them to death.

Ravenfood posted:

How're you spending 200 turns on a Vortex campaign? They're much quicker than ME campaigns for me. If I'm playing a Wh2 faction its almost always a Vortex campaign because I like the map better. Some of that might be residual from when turn times were also vastly different, but still.

Pretty sure the elves came from Ulthuan originally but settled basically everywhere the Dwarfs didn't, and there was a lot of trade between the two. Then the Elves had their schism and the Dark Elves started murdering some Dwarfs, who were understandably upset. The High Elves meanwhile were too proud to admit that they a) were basically indistinguishable from the Dark Elves anyway and b) weren't so enlightened that such base things as civil war were possible for the glorious Asur, so High Elves shaved the beards off the delegation of Dwarfs who came to protest Dwarfs being killed by Dark Elves. The Dwarfs, uh, were Dwarfs, and so kicked off a war that resulted in both races being pretty badly hosed. The High Elves lost basically all of their colonies, and eventually abandoned the rest when the Dark Elves invaded Ulthuan proper. The Wood Elves are basically a remnant of a colony that decided to stay in a weird magic murder forest instead of going back to Ulthuan, for whatever reason. After the Dwarfs kicked in the Elves' poo poo and took their king's crown, thus fulfilling their grudge, the Lizardmen, unknown to everyone, decided that plate tectonics weren't part of the Great Plan and so kind of just moved the mountains back to where the maps said they should be, causing a bunch of earthquakes and volcanoes. Between their losses against the Elves and the tons of Earthquakes, the Dwarfs were unable to hold all of their Holds and start losing them one by one to the Skaven and Greenskins.

IIRC, the humans are basically wandering tribesfolk at this point, and may actually kick off some small amount of civilization because they're able to settle in the abandoned elven colonies.
Wasn't the big issue with the lizardmen continent moving magic that it set off a nuke the skaven were building?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Vortex Pros:
North america isn't so small
Southern dark elves have more room to move
more lizards

Vortex Cons:
Rituals are dumb
elves
more elves
holy poo poo too many elves

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Third World Reagan posted:

elves
more elves
holy poo poo too many elves
For you to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Crotch posted:

The actual "ritual race" is fake, and the ritual armies, rather than creating epic defences of key cities, just show up wherever and raze a couple minor towns while you shuffle your armies over to lightning strike them to death.

Wasn't the big issue with the lizardmen continent moving magic that it set off a nuke the skaven were building?

Skaven didn’t show up until humans were already civilized and living in towns. Skavenblight is the ruins of a decadent Tilean city.