Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

everdave posted:

On a scale of 1-10 how bad of an idea would a 99 911 Cabriolet with a clean title but carfax shows salvage history, tiptronic trans, 50k miles and "the top doesn't fit good" if I could get it for 8 cash? They are asking more.

Run far away or run to the bank? You tell me.

Tiptronic is deeply unsatisfying. That alone would explain the $8k price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah also the whole IMS bearing issue.....No bueno.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Just looked at Carvana for the Flex. $12000. That suuuuuucks.

They offered $27,200 for the Land Cruiser. I need to sort my poo poo out as to what I’m doing with cars.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Think of how many firetrucks you could buy for that.

Indeed! And some internet sleuthing shows he owns a vintage car dealership here in town, if he is trying to unload on FB marketplace for $10k I am staying far away

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Tremek posted:

They offered $27,200 for the Land Cruiser. I need to sort my poo poo out as to what I’m doing with cars.

I will pay you a handsome $27,500 for your land cruiser.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Solus posted:

as someone who lives in New Zealand which basically gets JDM Lite i'm assuming a 100% RHD mad tyte JDM household is the USA Equivalent of the dudes that imported LHD Muscle Cars
(I'm still kind of laughing at the dudes who imported a bunch of LHD Mustangs and then Ford decided to start selling them in RHD though)

I dunno everdave and I have more eclectic tastes. I freakin' love the 70 series Land Cruisers and those get maddd respect from everyone from Land Cruiser guys to diesel guys to people that just appreciate older Toyotas. But the fire trucks or ultra-80s Corollas and Soarers are just neat to see, then the MR2 and Skylines are JDM tyte. Weird-rear end Domingos and bucket trucks, that's cool poo poo. You cover all bases!

everdave posted:

On a scale of 1-10 how bad of an idea would a 99 911 Cabriolet with a clean title but carfax shows salvage history, tiptronic trans, 50k miles and "the top doesn't fit good" if I could get it for 8 cash? They are asking more.

You're the guy that bulk-buys kei bucket trucks, this doesn't even register on the 'heh wouldn't this be funny guys'. I know you just Carvana'd yourself a pocket of cash but if you must buy a car just get the already mentioned 6 fire trucks. I don't understand the grade scale you propose either but uhh, 10 as in its the worst idea. We're supposed to be JDM household bros :(

Applebees Appetizer posted:

HEY GUYS.....I found another IROC going to look at it and actually drive it this weekend :v:

This looks way more rad than the last one if not only because the sweet red and blue bottom stripes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

This looks way more rad than the last one if not only because the sweet red and blue bottom stripes.

It's an '89 which is more desirable (to me) because of the updated wheels (the year I graduated high school too lol). Also the guy has had tons of work done to it with receipts, and most importantly it's a rust free Florida car. So far the guy has has been super knowledgeable and helpful so we'll see how it goes :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Everdave, don't even bother with that 911.

If you want an oddity to buy:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autozam-Carol-JDM-Kei-Show-Car-Import-Suzuki-Alto-Works/264636165418

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I dunno everdave and I have more eclectic tastes. I freakin' love the 70 series Land Cruisers and those get maddd respect from everyone from Land Cruiser guys to diesel guys to people that just appreciate older Toyotas. But the fire trucks or ultra-80s Corollas and Soarers are just neat to see, then the MR2 and Skylines are JDM tyte. Weird-rear end Domingos and bucket trucks, that's cool poo poo. You cover all bases!

You're the guy that bulk-buys kei bucket trucks, this doesn't even register on the 'heh wouldn't this be funny guys'. I know you just Carvana'd yourself a pocket of cash but if you must buy a car just get the already mentioned 6 fire trucks. I don't understand the grade scale you propose either but uhh, 10 as in its the worst idea. We're supposed to be JDM household bros :(

You are right, I just saw 911 and low price and the gears were turning if maybe there was potential for some quick profit...forgive me father for I have sinned!

And yeah the fire trucks and bucket kei's and weird micro cars are way more interesting to me than the JDM bro's on youtube...

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

everdave posted:

You are right, I just saw 911 and low price and the gears were turning if maybe there was potential for some quick profit...forgive me father for I have sinned!

And yeah the fire trucks and bucket kei's and weird micro cars are way more interesting to me than the JDM bro's on youtube...

The only way anyone'll turn a profit on that thing is if they have a magic 3D frame rack!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meltie posted:

The only way anyone'll turn a profit on that thing is if they have a magic 3D frame rack!

That's available free for use and requires no labor.

Edit: Kitchen saga update:

My initial thought regarding the contractor was "gently caress that guy" and to not allow him in the house again. However, my team of lawyers (wife and brother :D ) said that we did not want to be the ones that breach the contract. So, I told them they could come on Tuesday.

So, they showed up Tuesday and I pointed out some of the issues that I had with the cabinets that they had installed the day before (including 3 cabinets being more than 1/4" out of square with each other over 30". :stare: They said that they were going to fix it and started... trying. They got to the point where they wanted to screw the stiles to each other and they were doing it without clamps or countersinking the bolts. I pointed out that the stiles should be clamped and countersunk after the pilot hole is drilled. They took a smoke break and the main boss came in about 20 minutes later for the first time that day.

He said that they were pulling off the job. I said "Okay, what's your plan?" He said he didn't have one. I said "Okay, but you're going to have to come up with a plan." He said he wouldn't and they just weren't going to do the job because I was impossible to work for.

At that point I said "Look, I don't want you here any more than you want to be here, but we have a contract, and you are obligated to install the cabinets." He said he wouldn't. I said "Okay, if you won't do the job, that breaches the contract and that's your prerogative. In that case, I'll have to act accordingly." He said "You do what you have to do."

Haha, what a dumb gently caress. He just absolutely handed me a winner of a court case for breach of contract. So now I just need to find someone to fix what he hosed up and finish the install, then take him to court for the breach. I have everything on video, plus a straight audio recording. This will be something.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 20, 2020

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Just attach the faulty corner to a hefty oak tree, and drive away at high speed! Presto!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Let the oldest pick which one to take to basketball tonight.

everdave fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 20, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

everdave posted:

Feel free to buy it, but I'd buy it with the plan to part it out. The motor alone (assuming it's not dead/dying) is worth more than that. You could easily make your money back in parts. Possibly triple if you were so inclined. Hell, you could probably get $1000-1500 for the *headlights*. I can't quite tell from the photo, but those might even be 993 18" twist rims which were offered in 99.

996 Cab w/tip is pretty much the least desirable 996 possible as a driver, with a Coupe 6spd being the most desirable. The only thing really going for it is that it's an early 996, the 98-99 production dates are pretty much universally regarded as the most reliable M96 out of the box. I probably wouldn't bother with doing the IMS in one at this stage unless I had the trans-axle dropped for other purposes anyhow.
I own a 99 996

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 20, 2020

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

meatpimp posted:

My initial thought regarding the contractor was "gently caress that guy" and to not allow him in the house again. However, my team of lawyers (wife and brother :D ) said that we did not want to be the ones that breach the contract. So, I told them they could come on Tuesday.

So, they showed up Tuesday and I pointed out some of the issues that I had with the cabinets that they had installed the day before (including 3 cabinets being more than 1/4" out of square with each other over 30". :stare: They said that they were going to fix it and started... trying. They got to the point where they wanted to screw the stiles to each other and they were doing it without clamps or countersinking the bolts. I pointed out that the stiles should be clamped and countersunk after the pilot hole is drilled. They took a smoke break and the main boss came in about 20 minutes later for the first time that day.

He said that they were pulling off the job. I said "Okay, what's your plan?" He said he didn't have one. I said "Okay, but you're going to have to come up with a plan." He said he wouldn't and they just weren't going to do the job because I was impossible to work for.

At that point I said "Look, I don't want you here any more than you want to be here, but we have a contract, and you are obligated to install the cabinets." He said he wouldn't. I said "Okay, if you won't do the job, that breaches the contract and that's your prerogative. In that case, I'll have to act accordingly." He said "You do what you have to do."

Haha, what a dumb gently caress. He just absolutely handed me a winner of a court case for breach of contract. So now I just need to find someone to fix what he hosed up and finish the install, then take him to court for the breach. I have everything on video, plus a straight audio recording. This will be something.

Well that's a loving slam dunk. I really hope you can be made whole again after all the poo poo, man.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Hopefully you're a one-party state for recording (or he consented).

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
Fuckin witnessed one hell of a car crash earlier, im shocked that nobody was killed

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hopefully you're a one-party state for recording (or he consented).

I think he told them he had cameras so they were aware? I think it's funny how some contractors label a client as "difficult" when the client knows what they want and how they want it done. Like you should just accept their lovely work and be gracious that they are doing anything at all, gently caress those idiots. Although at the same time I think meatpimp should have let them know from the start the kind of work he expected and that he would be up their rear end to check on the work being done, that should scare off any mediocre contractors. If he did do that, and they still cried about it, then they are complete morons and he should sue them to the fullest extent.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I think he means 'difficult' in that the customer actually expected the guy not to loving ruin his kitchen...

*tin foil hat* Actually thinking about it, do you reckon they flooded your kitchen on purpose, hoping you'd tell them to gently caress off so they could get YOU for breach because they were expecting to be able to just toss it off and make a mess of the install?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Headed to London this PM with the missus to attend a friend's wedding this Saturday and we are both looking forward to the trip. Kids are finally old enough that we managed (with some difficulty) to farm them out to my two sets of parents and I think it's all gonna work out great.

Knock on wood and all that but it's a far cry from the BS of the past few years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think you've earned a good vacation.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tremek posted:

Headed to London this PM with the missus to attend a friend's wedding this Saturday and we are both looking forward to the trip. Kids are finally old enough that we managed (with some difficulty) to farm them out to my two sets of parents and I think it's all gonna work out great.

Knock on wood and all that but it's a far cry from the BS of the past few years.

Bring a raincoat and scarf.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

It's an '89 which is more desirable (to me) because of the updated wheels (the year I graduated high school too lol). Also the guy has had tons of work done to it with receipts, and most importantly it's a rust free Florida car. So far the guy has has been super knowledgeable and helpful so we'll see how it goes :)

You just triggered a memory for me with all of this IROC posting, my friend in early middle school had a baby sitter until he was probably a little bit too old and we used to tease him for it, until we realized she was literally and figuratively the girl next door. His baby sitter was this smoking hot blonde high-school senior with a turquoise IROC and it was nearly too much for our just barely pubescent middle school brains to handle.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Tremek posted:

Hell yeah dude. Hit up whatever museums you can, there are some great ones (if that's your thang(s)).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Wrar posted:

Hell yeah dude. Hit up whatever museums you can, there are some great ones (if that's your thang(s)).

The V&A has a specific Cars exhibition which is pretty cool. I was there last week. There's a fair whack of old Russian (1930s) concept art which is so far ahead of its time in terms of what it's portraying. It's not huge but is definitely worth a look. The video section with the Lowrider, South African girl who was on that Netflix car thing and old Japanese guy who build Dekatora trucks was really interesting. You also get to meet Graham, the human designed to withstand crashing...

https://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/cars

InitialDave posted:

It's a bit wet and miserable at present though.

I can't remember the last time it wasn't!

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 20, 2020

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, do the tourist poo poo while you're over here if you have time. It's a bit wet and miserable at present though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody at work made a joke about my real name and the real life person that shared it and died Ryan White, of AIDS 30 years ago. I didn't get mad but I explained why it was irritating and also that his joke was lame and I heard it 20 years ago and one of the bystanders called bullshit on my entire story but OH HO HO I had the scan of the newspaper article from 1990 still in my imgur links so I pulled that up and showed them and hoo-boy do I ever look like a fuckin weirdo at work now since I just so happen to have a newspaper clip proving my childhood trauma is real on hand and ready to show people.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Okay guys, I need a bit of help.

I have been doing a deep dive on the video files from the contractor fuckup on Monday. I've gotten to the point where I hear the water and go down to the basement, yell "oh gently caress" and immediately after, like in less than a second, the contractor calls out. Now, quick quiz -- if you're working in someone's house and you hear them scream an expletive from the floor below, what's your first question? "What's wrong?" maybe "Are you okay?" Nope, dickfuck contractor calls out "Got a leak?" :hurr: So the motherfucker obviously knew. Again, the camera will make the difference, because within a couple minutes after that, in a moment of contemplative silence with his assistance, he makes this :anime: face to one of the others. Good job guy, I was trying to give you a few thousand dollars for some work and you really showed me, by flooding my basement. :wtf:

Then, his assistants are talking amongst themselves and looking at the sink base and I can just pick out "caught it a while back," referring to when they set the sink base.

Now here's where I need the help -- the audio from the Wyze camera kinda sucks and is not clear. I can grab the audio into Audigy and normalize it and that helps, but not enough to hear clearly. Are any of you good at audio stuff where you could try to enhance the clarity? I'd be mucho appreciative.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Audacity is free so if it's noisy you can try and use the noise reduction effect on it. There's only so much you can do with a bad audio starting point but it's worth a try doing that and adjust the EQ a bit.

*edit: load audio into Audacity, Select a section of noise, go to effects, noise reduction, hit 'get noise profile'. Then select the entirety of the audio track, go back to noise reduction and you can then hit the OK button. The reduction/sensitivity sliders will obviously affect things differently so go ahead and play.

EQ just needs you to select what you want EQing so you can do it for the whole track or just sections. Again, you may be able to improve things.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 20, 2020

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Somebody at work made a joke about my real name and the real life person that shared it and died Ryan White, of AIDS 30 years ago. I didn't get mad but I explained why it was irritating and also that his joke was lame and I heard it 20 years ago and one of the bystanders called bullshit on my entire story but OH HO HO I had the scan of the newspaper article from 1990 still in my imgur links so I pulled that up and showed them and hoo-boy do I ever look like a fuckin weirdo at work now since I just so happen to have a newspaper clip proving my childhood trauma is real on hand and ready to show people.

I'm annoyed just at the fact that someone is making an AIDS joke period to a co-worker in the year 2020.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Audacity is free so if it's noisy you can try and use the noise reduction effect on it. There's only so much you can do with a bad audio starting point but it's worth a try doing that and adjust the EQ a bit.

*edit: load audio into Audacity, Select a section of noise, go to effects, noise reduction, hit 'get noise profile'. Then select the entirety of the audio track, go back to noise reduction and you can then hit the OK button. The reduction/sensitivity sliders will obviously affect things differently so go ahead and play.

EQ just needs you to select what you want EQing so you can do it for the whole track or just sections. Again, you may be able to improve things.
Yeah, Audacity is probably what you want here, good freebie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

T-Square posted:

I'm annoyed just at the fact that someone is making an AIDS joke period to a co-worker in the year 2020.

I guess after 30 years I just give little to no fucks about it, I'm more about educating than revenging.

Or making the other dude look stupid by instantly proving him wrong even if it makes me look psychotic.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

salvage title plus top don't shut are definitely correlated

stay away

Its just hail damage calm down

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I discovered that Amazon Prime video has all the Dukes of Hazzard seasons so I started watching it the other day. My son was like what's this, so I told him the backstory and how back in the day when I was his age the Dukes were the poo poo and the General Lee was the star of the show.

In about four episodes now and he fuckin loves it :v:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I know some have had LS400's - my Toyota Celsior just got an AC recharge yesterday, working great. But the buttons on the climate panel that have a little window to turn green when activated don't light up. Apparently this is pretty common. I have a new set of bulbs coming from eBay for super cheap but before I do that is there a known fuse or anything that controls just that? A lot of my fuse listings besides the main relays are in Japanese...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

No. They're generally piggybacked off of the blower or AC compressor fuse.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

STR posted:

No. They're generally piggybacked off of the blower or AC compressor fuse.

Word, well I have a cheap 20 pack of bulbs coming should be here tomorrow ($8), the buttons beep and all work just trying to make this car perfect (it is in every other way) before listing it for sale.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I discovered that Amazon Prime video has all the Dukes of Hazzard seasons so I started watching it the other day. My son was like what's this, so I told him the backstory and how back in the day when I was his age the Dukes were the poo poo and the General Lee was the star of the show.

See how much he likes it when Coy and Vance show up :v:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Tremek posted:

If you've a small bit of free time and fancy something free and slightly different in London try the temple of Mithras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

You now get to explain that this is where "Daisy Dukes" are from, and how rednecks still call them that.